Do you think Kamui is a Manakete?

Twylis

121 members have voted

1. 1. Do ya??? Huh? Huh???

• Yes, because reasons.
    • No, because reasons.

This seems to be a source of contention in a couple more-general threads, so a dedicated poll seems at least somewhat warranted.

And yes, half-Manakete counts as Manakete.

Personally I think their Manakete status is p self-explanatory given the Dragonstone usage and stuff, and the series has a history of unique dragon designs so the peculiar anatomy doesn't mean much.

Also Manaketes are neato

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pointed ears, the transformation, the massive eyes compared to everyone else, it all fits.

Might have a different name in the game itself, but like it or not, Kamui's a manakete.

He/she could be a manakete due to using a dragonstone and transforming into a beast that has some dragon-like features. But given that Kamui's class isn't Manakete Lord or anything of the sort, he/she may simply have been granted similar powers to a manakete or may be a new race that can also use dragonstones. I mean, different human classes can use the same weapons, so it wouldn't be unusual for a different shapeshifter to use the same stone as manaketes do.

There's also the issue of how Kamui, who looks to be around the same age as Roy, can be the younger sibling of humans since Ryouma says he's Kamui's older brother. Manaketes age very slowly and by the time they look ten, they're at least 1200 years old as shown by Nowi in Awakening. And if the customization of Kamui is like that of Awakening, we can make him/her look even older.

Kamui's ears also don't look like manakete ears. Compare his/her ears to Awakening Tiki, Nowi, or Nah. They're much smaller and have no ridges. Other manaketes in past games might have similar ears, but remember those characters were not designed by the same artist that did Awakening's art. If Kamui is truly a manakete, why didn't Kozaki just give him/her the same ears as Tiki, Nowi, and Nah?

Lastly, Kamui's beast form doesn't look as dragon-like as past manaketes, even Fae, imo. When I first saw it in the second trailer, I got more vibes of a giant deer with dragon wings, tail, and claws than an actual dragon. This beast form fuses a dragon and a deer like a griffon fuses a lion with an eagle.

Another thing, Kamui isn't actually stated right out to be a manakete. If he/she is one, I see no reason not to state it in that second trailer.

I think Kamui is most likely a new race. But manakete is possible. I hope he/she isn't one though, as I hate them. Or at least, I hope I can reclass him/her to not use dragonstones.

Edited by Anacybele

There's also the issue of how Kamui, who looks to be around the same age as Roy, can be the younger sibling of humans since Ryouma says he's Kamui's older brother. Manaketes age very slowly and by the time they look ten, they're at least 1200 years old as shown by Nowi in Awakening. And if the customization of Kamui is like that of Awakening, we can make him/her look even older.

Kamui's ears also don't look like manakete ears. Compare his/her ears to Awakening Tiki, Nowi, or Nah. They're much smaller and have no ridges. Other manaketes in past games might have similar ears, but remember those characters were not designed by the same artist that did Awakening's art. If Kamui is truly a manakete, why didn't Kozaki just give him/her the same ears as Tiki, Nowi, and Nah?

This is pretty easily addressed by being half-Manakete.

Another thing, Kamui isn't actually stated right out to be a manakete. If he/she is one, I see no reason not to state it in that second trailer.

Do you also contend that Ryouma isn't a Swordmaster?

This is pretty easily addressed by being half-Manakete.

No, because even half-manaketes age slowly. Ninian and Nils are proof. They were around during the Scouring, which was like a thousand years before FE7. And Nils looks ten while Ninian looks maybe 16. Also, Sophia looks exactly the same in FE7 as she does in FE6. She's half-manakete too.

Do you also contend that Ryouma isn't a Swordmaster?

He may or may not be one if the second trailer didn't show us what his class is. He certainly is similar to one though, at the least. Maybe he's a Trueblade and promoted from a Swordmaster. I'd love this, because it would mean third tier classes are back.

Edited by Anacybele

He/she could be a manakete due to using a dragonstone and transforming into a beast that has some dragon-like features. But given that Kamui's class isn't Manakete Lord or anything of the sort, he/she may simply have been granted similar powers to a manakete or may be a new race that can also use dragonstones. I mean, different human classes can use the same weapons, so it wouldn't be unusual for a different shapeshifter to use the same stone as manaketes do.

Lastly, Kamui's beast form doesn't look as dragon-like as past manaketes, even Fae, imo. When I first saw it in the second trailer, I got more vibes of a giant deer with dragon wings, tail, and claws than an actual dragon. This beast form fuses a dragon and a deer like a griffon fuses a lion with an eagle.

I think Kamui is most likely a new race. But manakete is possible. I hope he/she isn't one though, as I hate them. Or at least, I hope I can reclass him/her to not use dragonstones.

Why do you so vehemently insist that Kamui isn't a manakete? Even if it were not spelled out directly, for all intents and purposes, he is one. A person who uses a Dragonstone to turn into a dragon is a manakete. It's one thing to have your own head-canon but this is ridiculous.

No, because even half-manaketes age slowly. Ninian and Nils are proof. They were around during the Scouring, which was like a thousand years before FE7. And Nils looks ten while Ninian looks maybe 16. Also, Sophia looks exactly the same in FE7 as she does in FE6. She's half-manakete too.

What about Nah, who already looks the same age as Nowi despite being in her teens?

He may or may not be one if the second trailer didn't show us what his class is. He certainly is similar to one though, at the least. Maybe he's a Trueblade and promoted from a Swordmaster. I'd love this, because it would mean third tier classes are back.

But following your logic, it's more likely he isn't, simply because it wasn't stated. One could contend that there's a greater obligation to point out that the protagonist is a Manakete, since the protagonist is more notable and Manaketes are a much bigger deal, but that would apply even moreso to a non-Manakete, since the implications of an entirely new race that uses Dragonstones are far greater than simply being a Manakete. It wouldn't make sense for them to be obligated to announce their Manakete status, whilst being expected to keep mum on some entirely new thing. In both cases, they'd either want to announce it to build hype and whatnot, or they'd want to keep it secret. But the route they took would be the same for either.

What about Nah, who already looks the same age as Nowi despite being in her teens?

But following your logic, it's more likely he isn't, simply because it wasn't stated. One could contend that there's a greater obligation to point out that the protagonist is a Manakete, since the protagonist is more notable and Manaketes are a much bigger deal, but that would apply even moreso to a non-Manakete, since the implications of an entirely new race that uses Dragonstones are far greater than simply being a Manakete. It wouldn't make sense for them to be obligated to announce their Manakete status, whilst being expected to keep mum on some entirely new thing. In both cases, they'd either want to announce it to build hype and whatnot, or they'd want to keep it secret. But the route they took would be the same for either.

Nah is a strange case, I'll admit. I mean, she looks older than Fae, but Fae's appearance doesn't change at all between FE7 and FE6 either. So Nah could actually be an oversight, albeit understandable one because Fae is kind of easily forgotten due to how tiny her cameo in FE7 is.

Manaketes seem to be popular (sadly) and have appeared in the series several times, I think it would make more sense to announce that Kamui is one if he/she is one.

Anacybele is a bit stubborn you know... It is very hard to make her change her mind. (But she isn't a bad person.)

This is true too. I'm thick and don't really change my mind easily at all. Stubborn as a mule right here. But it's not impossible to make me change my opinion. In fact, strangely enough, my stepdad can do it quite easily.

I have a really bizarre manakete aging theory that lets him be half manakete and be Ryouma's little bro.

I made it a long time ago to explain why Roy looks his age (maybe younger) even when Ninian is his mother.

If you want an explanation, I'm willing to give it...

(personally I think it's pretty obvious Kamui is a manakete, we're long overdue for a shapeshifting protag given how much of this series is about shapeshifters. The closest things are the partial shapeshifters with no apparent shapeshifting ability in Micaiah and possibly Roy.)

Isn't Kamui technically a Dark Prince

You know, that FE4 class exclusive to a character who had been possessed by an earth dragon, channeling its power as his main attack

^That would make sense for Kamui, given that the Dancer Girl is supposed to be his/her ally, yet his/her deer-dragon form chokes her later. Sounds a lot like a case of Kamui getting possessed or cursed or something.

Edited by Anacybele

No,I don't think so.

In the trailer, it says that the Hoshido royal family has been granted the power to turn into dragons. Granted, is the key word here, not turned into manaketes.

It is possible though, because the entire family should have the ability, but as you said, Twylis, Ryouma is a Swordmaster. He cannot turn into a dragon if he's one. Yet,only Kamui can do it.Also,Kamuis blood-related sister and brother doesn't have the ears. So,I think that if Kamui is truly a manakete, it's probably because he's "The next chosen ruler of Hoshido, cuz only those who are manaketes can rule" or some weird stuff. So,yes,it's possible,but logically,he's not technically a manakete,but they might call it something else...

Like Dark Prince.

;)

Edited by StarScry

^That would make sense for Kamui, given that the Dancer Girl is supposed to be his/her ally, yet his/her deer-dragon form chokes her later. Sounds a lot like a case of Kamui getting possessed or cursed or something.

ie Awakening's MU 2.0?

Isn't Kamui technically a Dark Prince

You know, that FE4 class exclusive to a character who had been possessed by an earth dragon, channeling its power as his main attack

Julius used a book though, he didn't suddenly gain transformation. Loptyr possessed him but didn't ever transform him into a dragon.

I have a really bizarre manakete aging theory that lets him be half manakete and be Ryouma's little bro.

Or sister.

But I don't know... If it is really possible.

Edited by Naughx

No,I don't think so.

In the trailer, it says that the Hoshido royal family has been granted the power to turn into dragons. Granted, is the key word here, not turned into manaketes.

It is possible though, because the entire family should have the ability, but as you said, Twylis, Ryouma is a Swordmaster. He cannot turn into a dragon if he's one. Yet,only Kamui can do it.Also,Kamuis blood-related sister and brother doesn't have the ears. So,I think that if Kamui is truly a manakete, it's probably because he's "The next chosen ruler of Hoshido, cuz only those who are manaketes can rule" or some weird stuff. So,yes,it's possible,but logically,he's not technically a manakete,but they might call it something else...

Like Dark Prince.

;)

That doesn't rule out Kamui being Ryoma and Sakura's half-sibling.

The creature itself looks like a qilin/kirin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qilin

The Dragonstone seems pretty telling, as they could have easily made a new item to go with a new species/form. So I'll go with Manakete, but the design is more qilin than typical dragon, which might just be them going for more of an original take than another classic dragon design.

Edited by Missiletainn