FE7 RANDOMIZER Low Turns

General Horace

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the more important thing- are there even any classes other than maybe thwomp where Pent would be bad? Sage bases are cruddy enough that any physical unit would have great stats and even, like, Bishop or something would be only a little worse.

Personally I'm hoping for BERSERKER PENT; the only axe-using unit on your team is Marcus :(:

37 HP, 20 STR, 23 SKL, 20 SPD, 12 DEF, 10 RES, 14 CON

it unfortunately isn't, although I'd be tempted to add that in :D

(also his bases are single digit because klok went through and reduced all personal bases to 0 so the autleveling doesn't fuck up. yet another poor design choice, aah~)

I'm not sure my body would be ready.

I'm a little lost on the autoleveling part. Would it really affect anyone that much?

i've already committed to making the poll, no going back now

wrt to the autolevelling, long story short, the prepremotes become amazingly overpowered (like marcus shows up with 20's in str/skl) if you don't do anything to their bases, so to try to balance them, klok made their personal bases super bad to try to compensate.

yeah horace is right; the big problem is that the higher your base level is the more unbelievably broken you become

for example, rebecca would get only one (or zero? I don't know the exact algo) levels so that doesn't change a lot. On the other hand, someone like Pent who comes at, like, level 10? 8? Assuming the latter, he gets twenty-eight bonus levels on top of his already these-are-really-good bases.

And before you say the obvious solution is to turn the autoleveling off, a big approach problem I had was that I couldn't figure out how to make everyone's weapon levels work out (for example, if Zerker Pent spawns with a Silver Axe, how would i know ahead of time to give him A axes?). There is an actually good solution (working that out is an exercise to the reader. hint: it's the obvious one), but at the time I either didn't think of it or didn't want to figure out how to code it (which is dumb because it's pretty easy to do) so instead I (ab)used the fact that autoleveling sets your weapon ranks to be able to use everything you're given.

Edited by CT075

Do PCUs normally autolevel?

As for the method, I don't know nearly enough about what functions GBA games support to really say, but my guess would be check what level the weapon(s) they spawn with are and then set their weapon level to that? Alternately, set every weapon level to the appropriate level to the "appropriate" level given the character's base level regardless of whether they can use the weapon or not.

Edited by bottlegnomes

Am I not understanding something or couldn't you just set the weapon ranks equal to some variable and then set the randomized character's weapon ranks equal to that variable?

for example, rebecca would get only one (or zero? I don't know the exact algo) levels so that doesn't change a lot. On the other hand, someone like Pent who comes at, like, level 10? 8? Assuming the latter, he gets twenty-eight bonus levels on top of his already these-are-really-good bases.

So it's safe to assume that Harken's offense is gonna be completely through the roof regardless of what class he rolls?

So it's safe to assume that Harken's offense is gonna be completely through the roof regardless of what class he rolls?

Pent's personal bases actually crush Harken's. Harken only has a slight STR/DEF lead while Pent wins by like 6-7 skill/speed.

I've been altering everything so they roll to the stats they should have anyway, so he'll be slightly less ridiculous than if I left them unaltered. And who knows, Karel might have a better class! Harken might actually be kind of bad since his personal speed base is actually really really bad (it's only one better than Serra's) so if he gets a slower class he'll be super slow.

Edited by General Horace

Do PCUs normally autolevel?

no, they do not

As for the method, I don't know nearly enough about what functions GBA games support to really say, but my guess would be check what level the weapon(s) they spawn with are and then set their weapon level to that? Alternately, set every weapon level to the appropriate level to the "appropriate" level given the character's base level regardless of whether they can use the weapon or not.

yeah this is pretty much correct

the big problem with my approach was that fsr i was convinced i had to edit the character data then the weapons even though it'd be pretty simple to roll weapons first

Klok's patch (along with dumb things like shaman mov and 1 range flux and whatnot) fixes prepromote bases

no, they do not

That solves my initial confusion.

I'm kind of tempted to remake this hack with some slight changes, but at the same time, I'm far too lazy to learn the coding used in FE.

to the appropriate level to the "appropriate" level

Gotta love that late-night-tired posting :facepalm:

Edited by bottlegnomes

well, my tool is open-source and in python, so you're welcome to tinker with it if you'd like (i've since given up support for it due to overwhelming technical debt regardless)

Edited by CT075

Harken's personal base stats are only insignificantly higher than those of the Hero's class bases but I think his str is like +12 or something. He'll probably be totally awesome if he rolls a class with a good speed base like Female Paladin but most other classes actually have lower speed base than Male Hero [which is actually kinda surprising to me].

Karel may actually be better for once!

well, my tool is open-source and in python, so you're welcome to tinker with it if you'd like (i've since given up support for it due to overwhelming technical debt regardless)

Dammit, man, stop tempting me. But for real, cool. As long as it still functions, it shouldn't be too big an issue, and it would certainly be easier.

Harken: 16 HP, 15 Str, 11 Skl, 7 Spd, 12 Luck, 7 Def, 8 Res

Karel: 10 HP, 10 Str, 12 Skl, 10 Spd, 15 Luck, 8 Def, 10 Res

Pent: 13 HP, 13 Mag, 17 Skl, 13 Spd, 14 Luck, 6 Def, 11 Res

Looking at Harken's bases, provided he's not in a slow as balls class, he should be too bad off. 14 speed isn't great, but this is EHM so it doesn't seem like it should be too much of an issue, and that 15 personal strength base. It looks like it Harken would stay better, provided he's not in a crappy class, since it seems like his strength lead would be more advantageous than Karel's leads.

As for Pent, he can be virtually any class he likes and be fine.

Edited by bottlegnomes

• 1 month later...

ITS BEEN A WHILE

I've been kinda stuck on Living Legend for a long time, i've been having issues clearing it in 2 turns and reaching the 700 exp requirement. I think i'm almost there though! I figured out a 680 exp clear, and I think I can scrounge up the remaining 20 exp somewhere, somehow. Oswin and Priscilla both missed attacks on the bosses (although in response Hawkeye chipped with Bolting), so if they both land their attacks, Hawkeye can probably use Mend or something on Eliwood or Hector for a few exp anyway. Expect an update soon!

FINALLY

I had a failed run before this where I literally had 696 exp. It was rage inducing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gn6J8oyM_8&feature=youtu.be

Chapter 22 completed in two turns. I needed a lower levelled unit to be dropped by Oswin in the middle of the map, since if he ate up all that exp I obviously wouldn't make it to Genesis. Eliwood was perfect for the job, but he had to recruit Hawkeye, Hector is too slow, and Legault has no 1 range, and everyone else is either too strong, or a chump. Oswin's turn 1 crit on the boss isn't nescessary since Priscilla oneshots the boss anyway.

Only got Filla's Might. I don't think any of the other items will be particularly useful, won't need the ocean seal since there aren't any more unpromoted units (other than lolnino) and I don't really need the money.

Oh yeah, I got Hawkeye. He's a female sage with massive HP, craptastic speed, and decent stats everywhere else. More importantly, he joins with Bolting, which might do something useful later! Pent is probably not a sage, he's not randomized for the desert map.

Edited by General Horace

That was sexy, though not as sexy as female Sage Hawkeye.

Speaking of which, it's too bad Hawkeye is forced on Genesis, but I honestly don't think I've ever played it on EHM before so I don't know if Kishuna still moves around like a prick as his HHM version does.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't move. Hawkeye doesn't have an animation, but I think if I set it to default animations, he'll just have the generic sage pallete since he has his custom animation. Would explain why Guy didn't have an animation as well.