Ragefest IV: Trolls & Tribulations

MarkyJoe1990

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa. I'm watching the video now, and I have to say that though I expected some choppiness on the fourth part, I NEVER expected that much lag. It's probably because I wasn't recording when I tested it. Seriously though, oh my god, I'm so sorry you had to go through that!

Sorry Supersonic, but this is definitely getting MY vote for funniest submission!

I gave myself an asthma attack I was laughing so hard! From the opening theme, to the rubber duckie noises, to the names of the characters, to the houses("But it was me, Dio!", Nicholas Cage, "Mine? Mine? Mine?") To Marc's pettiness over the 10 gold(he knows money is important) and finally, the character endings! It was just so friggin' hilarious! Not to mention I liked how the Pirates of the Caribbean theme was playing(great song, btw), the map design was pleasing to the eye, and even the Savestates CG was really well drawn! Marc's ending pretty much summed up Ragefest in a nutshell. Every Ragefest has been better than the last.

Tl;dr Good job, man! You did really well!

I was going to say this once the contest was over and I make a huge post about what I think about all the submissions, but I do feel like I should say this:

As someone who's worked with both FEGBA and FEXP sound systems, I have to say that Trapped in Painful Places by Alusq had some similar ideas but used a much more difficult-to-work-with audio engine. So while Tale of Purt had a better end result, it was largely because FEXP just lets you import any audio file you find on Youtube. So I think if there's a sound-artist award, I'd currently be inclined to give it to Alusq.

Like I said though, Tale of Purt definitely deserves to win something! At least the Bread Award, if nothing else~

191f5f55f23e9b133944cfa024187764.png

Thanks again for playing my submission, Marc! I really appreciate you taking your time to play it and give me your opinion despite its shortcomings.

For everyone else, there are things I'd like to mention about the submission.
The submission's difficulty is heavily reliant on who you choose to promote with Haxors, as they become your lead unit.

(Purt does not promote with Haxors, he promotes with Purtential, the item Marc is carrying in the final part)

Originul is the easiest route, since he has strong stats, magic tomes, and access to Bolting. He also gets the skill Sol, which helps him survive tough enemies.

Deuter is the middle route. He is rather frail, but when promoted he gets the speed to double almost any opponent as well as high damage and crit. He also gains Astra.

Syde is the hardest route. He has to level up fighting opponents that have an advantage over him, despite being tanky. However, if trained and equipped with Black Rose, he has the potential to one-round-KO most opponents, including the final boss.

Considering the positive response the submission seems to be getting, I'll consider taking it in to workshop out some of the issues and glitches, and release it later.

Regarding the message above, yeah, don't give this submission a sound artist award - the audio wasn't created by me, so it wouldn't be fair. Please nominate it for the artist award, though, haha!

EDIT: There were extra animations that were not shown in Marc's play-through (though it's basically impossible to see them all in one). Purt's promote is a new set of animations, as is Deuter's. As you all saw from the video, the final boss has a weapon called "Rage Dark" and a weapon called "Rage Light". He has other "Rage" weapons for every other type of weapon except for Anima, and each of those gives him a different attack animation and a different critical animation. I will probably record those and post them here later, if you guys would like to see them.

Edited by Avraxas

Hahaha, "DYNAMITE!"

I found it funny how Purt's telling of the events was unexepectedly true and he was called out on it regardless.

The options puzzle was very clever. I've only seen something similar done in Chaos on Deponia, where

Rufus keeps messing up on a door-knock password because he's distracted by the catchy background music, so you gotta mute the "music volume" in the sound options.

Edited by Mr. Mister

• 3 weeks later...

There's probably not gonna be an update for a while, guys. I have only one day off this work week, and I'm working four extremely tough days (Christmas, Christmas Eve, Saturday, and Sunday) all in a row. I'm pretty sure that by monday (My one day off this work week), I'm gonna be way too exhausted to do anything at all.

Though, I do have some good news. I wanna quit this job and go back to my old part time job while doing online college courses. This means I should have more time to do stuff I want. It's just a matter of actually doing that.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Oh my god guys. There's a light at the end of this tunnel. Monday through wednesday of next week, I'm off. A whole three days!

If I can, I'll try to record two ragefest submissions within those three days. Obviously, I'll be doing FdRstar's next, but maybe I can do a sort of "cross comparison" thingy or whatever to give the videos some kind of special gimmick.

Also since the holidays are ending, I might have more days off in general. I seriously need them. My right hand has carpal tunnel now, and I have to wear a wrist brace all the time now. My whole body aches and standing is becoming painful for my legs. I have, like, 30 hours of overtime from this work week alone. >_<

In the mean time... I've noticed this thread's been dead lately, so Imma try and promote some discussion. Lately I've been thinking about Ragefest V. I'm considering encouraging other people besides myself to LP the submissions. Like. I've been thinking about the benefits, namely that other youtubers could get some light lime and promotion, and word of ragefest and FE hacking would spread more.

Of course, Ragefest is my baby, so I'm kinda hesitant on the idea, and it does help my own channel stand out more.

What do y'all think?

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

I think you're really good at Ragefest Marc, but I'll play yer angry games iffin you want o3o7

and I'll do it

LIVE

live anger

wao amazing

only if you want others to do this, of course

this is your baby and you've done well to keep it alive and entertaining as long as you have

just know that i'm willing to suffer along with you if you deem it necessary x3

Edited by Snake Mom

Having other people play Ragefest? I'D DO IT no, I feel like those really need videos to work right, which I can't do. Playing the rejected leftovers and laughing at how bad they are is good enough for me.

I could possibly LP my own entry for a developer commentary kind of thing (showing stuff that you missed, etc) if anyone's interested.

Just kidding I'm never touching that trainwreck again хахахахахахахахахаха

edit: I'm literally invisible though so why did I even post

Edited by Lusqina

I wanna quit this job and go back to my old part time job while doing online college courses. This means I should have more time to do stuff I want. It's just a matter of actually doing that.

You're gonna take some college courses? Awesome! What do you plan on doing?

As for RFV, I'd be down for LPing a submission or two. Although here's how I would do it:

Have 1-3 submissions for other people to play, and then randomly select a few volunteers to play said submission(s). That way you have the majority of your baby to yourself, while still branching out and showing off other channels. Kind of like in RF2 how Ephraim225 played CoR.

Also since the holidays are ending, I might have more days off in general. I seriously need them. My right hand has carpal tunnel now, and I have to wear a wrist brace all the time now. My whole body aches and standing is becoming painful for my legs. I have, like, 30 hours of overtime from this work week alone. >_<

Ouch.

Allowing other people to play the Rage Fest submissions seems like an interesting idea; it does give more exposure to other channels!

Though if I could suggest one thing, it would be that you have some kind of screening for who plays the other submissions.

It would be unfortunate to see some hard-worked submissions get very little attention because someone who isn't very known played them instead.

The same could apply if the replacement player isn't very expressive during their recordings.

Though if I could suggest one thing, it would be that you have some kind of screening for who plays the other submissions.

It would be unfortunate to see some hard-worked submissions get very little attention because someone who isn't very known played them instead.

The same could apply if the replacement player isn't very expressive during their recordings.

i think this is probably what marc's worried about most, since a lot of the draw of ragefest is his reactions, so if people can't react as well as Marc idk if they should send in resumes.

i could be wrong but that's how i would see it, personally.

Edited by Snake Mom