Halberdiers are back? Also, class changing?

dragonlordsd

Okay, I'm still trying to sort through all of the info, but does this confirm that the halberdier class will be returning?

If not, what class is Oboro in the screenshot?

Second, has class changing been confirmed or denied yet? To date, they've never made a game where the player made character couldn't switch classes, but has anything official been said yet?

That's quite obviously a lance infantry unit. Class name reads something like "lancefighter".

Which will probably get localised to Soldier, the base class of the Halberdier.

Well...the Japanese primarily had infantry in their ranks and cavalry barely made up their ranks.

During the Genpei period 1100-1200s the primary "soldier" class of the Japanese forces were the Attendants.

genpei_inf_naginata_attendants.png

By the Sengoku Period (which seems to be Hoshido's timeframe) the typical foot soldier was called an Ashigaru (literally Light Foot) and usually used a long spear as the Naginata was being phased out or given to the women to defend their households in an emergency (which explains why Aqua, a songstress, would wield one) and the length of the polearm negated the height advantage that a male opponent would have. Not to mention, even the samurai themselves mostly fought on foot despite their roots as mounted horse archers.

Samurai_Inf_Onna_Bushi.pngAshigaru_Inf_Yari_Ashigaru.jpg

History lesson aside, I would say the Lancefighter is Hoshido's Soldier/Halberdier.

Sorry for the long post!

Hoshido only though

Edit: I'm just making this up. Then again it's perfectly possible.

And we still don't know about class-changing.

Edited by Cysx

Hoshido only though

Edit: I'm just making this up. Then again it's perfectly possible.

And we still don't know about class-changing.

I get the feeling that each side will have all the classes, with some being much more limited than others. Sazukaze is a prime example; a Ninja that goes with you no matter which side you pick, but probably will be the only ninja you get in Nohr.

As for class swapping, I'd be glad if it wasn't back; would bring the uniqueness back to units.

I get the feeling that each side will have all the classes, with some being much more limited than others. Sazukaze is a prime example; a Ninja that goes with you no matter which side you pick, but probably will be the only ninja you get in Nohr.

As for class swapping, I'd be glad if it wasn't back; would bring the uniqueness back to units.

Good point, I hope this is the case. I can't make up my mind on reclass, I won't miss it if it's not there but I won't really be bothered if it is. :/

If it is back though I hope it's not tied to skills.

I would also not like to see class swapping not return. In fact, now that I think about it, there's been no mention of class swapping at all, even for the main character. In awakening, it was brought up very early on that the main character could be any class...

I would also not like to see class swapping not return. In fact, now that I think about it, there's been no mention of class swapping at all, even for the main character. In awakening, it was brought up very early on that the main character could be any class...

It'll be interesting to see for sure. If class swapping was not to return, I'd be curious to see how skills would be done.

It'll be interesting to see for sure. If class swapping was not to return, I'd be curious to see how skills would be done.

If it were left out, the skill system would probably be something along the lines of FE4, where there are:

• class skills (like Pursuit, Charisma, and Adept) that are shared by all members of that class, and
  • personal skills (Astra, Luna, Sol, Miracle, etc.) which are different for each character.
Edited by Aethin

I liked it, mostly because it prevented any unit from permanently being RNG screwed, which was annoying as all hell. Maybe dynamic growths will return to compensate...

Hopefully they return on both sides. Would kinda make sense I mean every army has some "base" soldier so it'd be ridiculous not to include them on one side. I could see them maybe calling them something different on the Hoshido side and give them different bonuses and such and vice versa with Nohr. That would make things interesting.

Hopefully they return on both sides. Would kinda make sense I mean every army has some "base" soldier so it'd be ridiculous not to include them on one side. I could see them maybe calling them something different on the Hoshido side and give them different bonuses and such and vice versa with Nohr. That would make things interesting.

I approve.

Funny, I suggested something like this a few years ago for future Fire Emblems. Each country has their own version of a typical FE class, such as a Cavalier.