Overrated Units

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa now, IS has been pulling that card since Gaiden.

I know about the Shrines that revive characters in Gaiden, but are there plot mandatory revives in Gaiden. I'm only at chapter 3 right now so...

Now that I think about it, Lewyn was revived in Geneolegy by Forseti, so everyone ignore my statement about Ninian earlier please.

What is IS's deal with killing plot-important characters then reviving them anyway?

I know about the Shrines that revive characters in Gaiden, but are there plot mandatory revives in Gaiden. I'm only at chapter 3 right now so...

Now that I think about it, Lewyn was revived in Geneolegy by Forseti, so everyone ignore my statement about Ninian earlier please.

What is IS's deal with killing plot-important characters then reviving them anyway?

But in Levin's case, there was no confirmation that he died in the first place before he showed up again in the very next chapter. And the exact relationship between Sety and Levin was not confirmed either. For all we knew, Levin was never revived and Sety was merely controlling his body.

Edit: Changed the tense used.

Edited by BrightBow

There's a character who appears in chapter 4 who "died" in FE1.

Titania. In FE10 she's great but she can fall really behind in FE9 when in the wake of Oscar and Kieran. Course, she dominates early and mid game, but still.

Yeah, her bases for a tier 2 unit are quite bad. Her growths are crazy, but keeping Titania relevant means you have to keep using her to stomp stuff, which is easy, but kind of annoying when you're also trying to train weaker units.

My first playthrough of PoR I abused the heck out of Titania in the early game, and so she was great throughout, but ever since then she falls behind because I try to use her less.

Edited by Radiant head

Just feed her all of the bosses.

Seconding this. It's what I do, myself. Especially on chapters where you're defending your base from the enemies. Total lifesaver when it comes to guarding the southern entrances. Edited by Just call me AL

Sigurd: He's flipping boring as all heck and while he is very useful. I can't stand Jagens whatsoever, and Sigurd is a Jagen LORD character. I know people like him and my next pick, but I can't stand him.

Sigurd is not a Jagen.

Sigurd is a Sigurd.

A Jagen is a prepromote you get from the prolouge.

You get Sigurd in the prolouge prepromoted.

Ergo, Sigurd is just as much a Jagen as Seth and well Jagen

Edited by MCProductions

A Jagen is a prepromote you get from the prolouge.

You get Sigurd in the prolouge prepromoted.

Ergo, Sigurd is just as much a Jagen as Seth and well Jagen

You have an incredibly broad and erroneous definition of a Jagen.

While we're on the subject of Jeigens, I'm glad that they aren't really underrated anymore, at least on this site. It's a welcome improvement from the times where being pre-promoted made almost everyone assume a unit was bad. Admittedly, I used to think that way too.

While we're on the subject of Jeigens, I'm glad that they aren't really underrated anymore, at least on this site. It's a welcome improvement from the times where being pre-promoted made almost everyone assume a unit was bad. Admittedly, I used to think that way too.

It depends on the game, mostly. FE6 has some awesome pre-promotes.

Titania with the Knight Ward will destroy everything ever and deserves the hype. Dealwithit.gif

Ok....is Tharja really that hyped? Maybe its cuz i dont gamefaqs, but...really? Other than her appearance, and i do love her character, as a unit Henry is better in so many ways. So...

I'm not sure if I would say Henry is clearly superior. Tharja does have at least 4 chapters (and Paralogue 4) of availability over Henry and a better speed base (and growth iirc). Henry does have a huge hit rate lead over Tharja though. Henry really needs a better speed base to be honest.

Titania with the Knight Ward will destroy everything ever and deserves the hype. Dealwithit.gif

Ok....is Tharja really that hyped? Maybe its cuz i dont gamefaqs, but...really? Other than her appearance, and i do love her character, as a unit Henry is better in so many ways. So...

can't kill ashnard, therefore can't beat the game :^)

gah i can't believe i put 9 on my favorites for years, its still a good game, but ugh that final boss decision

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

I don't remember people taking this topic so seriously the last time it popped up. SF, I am disappoint.

Well, I guess if I were to just give a straight answer to the topic, I would say: none. No one is overrated. Units I like are not overrated and units I dislike are not overrated. Except for Sumia. She's overrated.

You have an incredibly broad and erroneous definition of a Jagen.

The only Jagen is Jagen.

It depends on the game, mostly. FE6 has some awesome pre-promotes.

Well, a few, but I definitely wouldn't cite FE6 first as a Fire Emblem with great prepromotes. Pretty much every game since then has had better ones.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the hype around Tharja isn't so much for her ability but, uh, she's definitely better than Henry in that regard.

FE6 has some awesome pre-promotes.

Maybe in LTC, but in regular runs I'd disagree.The only real useful prepromotes are:

• Marcus for being a lifeshield in earlygame
  • Niime because of her stave level
  • Percival because of his amazing hard mode boosts and decent growths for being a prepromoted unit

Never saw a point of using the others since their bases are mediocre and growths are crappy.

I feel like people are in denial about Edward. Because his bases are bad and his growths are good, it's like they have to convince themselves that surely there's a point in training Edward, and that it isn't a pain and waste of time. Even though he ends up mostly the same as Zihark/Mia, with a worse affinity if anything.

Edward's bases are expectable for a level 4 myrm, if you ask me.

Only the levels and stats of the enemies are the main problem for him. At least in 1-1 they'll be the same level like him.

His growths are great, but he has still the lowest speed growth of all the myrms (60%). If he doesn't get a speed point in the prolog, he won't double anything in 1-1. He's more like a mercenary than a myrm.

Bolded: Funny you say that when at Zihark's base level Edward's stat advantages are... 3-4 HP, 1-2 points in Strength, and 6 points in Luck. Yay?

What's the point of this?

I tried to explain that Edward won't be worse than Zihark (statwise), if you train him.

Same like Rolf and Shinon.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

Personally I find Jagens units who turn out as shit when trained due to their bad bases and growths. Basically they're unusable long term. Not saying they don't kick ass at all(well except Jagen he's shit).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the hype around Tharja isn't so much for her ability but, uh, she's definitely better than Henry in that regard.

Erm, I'm not entirely sold, personally - Tharja's awful skill and luck make me cry. Especially the latter. Granted, I have issues with Henry's speed, but I'm not sure I'd consider someone who not only can't hit the side of a barn, but also faces crit chances regularly better.

Edited by Levant Caprice

Then just throw her some Skill Books/Goddess Icons, some of the least contested statboosters of all time. Although both of her skills help with any hit problems anyways lol.

I don't remember people taking this topic so seriously the last time it popped up. SF, I am disappoint.

Gee, maybe its because people are actually attempting to use the actual definition of overrated instead of "character i dont like" :P: Cuz replies are actually Characters Who Are Hyped To Oblivion And Opinions On If They Live Up To Said Hype. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As a unit though, Henry is better. Tharja's base speed is better but thats it really.

I'm not sure if I would say Henry is clearly superior. Tharja does have at least 4 chapters (and Paralogue 4) of availability over Henry and a better speed base (and growth iirc). Henry does have a huge hit rate lead over Tharja though. Henry really needs a better speed base to be honest.

Ehh, her speed is the only thing really leading over Henry tbh. Even with a level lead, Tharja's defense is not matching Henry's. I guess after a point and sticking Nosferatu on both, its hard to tell the difference.

Maybe in LTC, but in regular runs I'd disagree.The only real useful prepromotes are:

• Marcus for being a lifeshield in earlygame
  • Niime because of her stave level
  • Percival because of his amazing hard mode boosts and decent growths for being a prepromoted unit
Never say a point of using the others since their bases are mediocre and growths are crappy.

You seem to forget about Klein, Igrene, Echidna, and a few other solid prepromotes in Fe6. Heck I find uses for Garet in Bern because he crits for days on lances lol.

In hard mode, Garret has as much strength and skill as Percival at base, and everyone knows how much praise Percival gets for his offensive prowess. Garret's speed base really holds him back though.

Speaking of Percival, he's the only GBA Fire Emblem pre-promote I've never seen anyone claim to be bad. Even people who love growth units have to admit that Percival has really good bases.

Every pre-promote in FE6 except Yuno and Douglas has decent bases really.