Famitsu interview - FULL VERSION (with new screenshots!)

Ryo

Yes because quite frankly they are in 80% of the games the best weapons for 90% of the game due to their insanely cheap buy prices, 1-2 range and they made units who were already solid units even better because of the 1-2 range.

Its partly why archers (not Snipers though. They usually get good bases at least) are obsolete on delivery.

I see. I never bother using them so I didnt know they were that good(although I have heard they were broken in RD).

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But Strategist uses tomes/staves, while Butler/Maid uses hidden/staves? Hence why I don't see the point of the latter.

there are plenty of point to them, debuffing, different stats, better at mage killing( hits def and sorcs seem to have less def and more res now), better def, no horse. Plus three characters seem to start as maid/butler, so bad strength base stats wont be as much of a problem as promoting Lissa and Marabelle to the class.

Also as stated earlier i really like that troubadour/rod knights promote to a hybrid class, as troubadours were hybrids originally and are hybrids in half the games they are in if you count mist as a troubadour.

The main thing is i guess is that a horse and magic and staves is not necessarily meant to be superior by the game designers

Apparently Javelins and similar ranged weapons cannot double attack. Presumably this only affects swords, axes and lances, not naturally ranged weapons (like tomes or hidden weapons).

If this is true then I definitely won't be buying this game!

If this is true then I definitely won't be buying this game!

I don't understand why a reasonable balance change would be such a deal breaker. 1-2 range weapons have always been ridiculous, so this is a much needed change.

I don't understand why a reasonable balance change would be such a deal breaker. 1-2 range weapons have always been ridiculous, so this is a much needed change.

And on that note, it was also probably just to make bow the definite ranged weapon. They are giving bow more of a spotlight in this game.

Did you actually play Awakening? In that game, the only things that Javelins could kill are sages because of how little might they had. How the hell is that "ridiculous"?

fami-interview-2505-6.jpg

...Is there any reason they're using a recolored Loptyr holy blood icon for a skill? lol

tMtvfaJ.png

Before I forget, looking at it after reading this, Felicia's highlighted skill seems to be roughly the same, but green. That would make the theory that these are personal skills lose some credibility.

Edit: KUy8NRz.jpg

Obviously it's small though, so coincidence, perhaps.

Also, to me it definitely doesn't seem like classes will work the same, as the amount of probable pre-promotes keeps getting higher.

Edited by Cysx

Did you actually play Awakening? In that game, the only things that Javelins could kill are sages because of how little might they had. How the hell is that "ridiculous"?

With how inflated Awakening's stats got, Javelins were still very potent weapons, especially in the early game. And don't even pretend that Short Spears, Spears, Gradivus, Short Axes, Tomahawks, Helswath, Levin Swords, and the Ragnell weren't a thing. Plus having a throwing weapon teleport back into the user's hand doesn't even make sense.

EDIT: Don't forget that you can forge every throwing weapon except for the legendary weapons! (Thanks for the reminder, Jedi)

Edited by Monado Boy

I see. I never bother using them so I didnt know they were that good(although I have heard they were broken in RD).

Yeah they've just always been pretty good, although it may be that I've done all sorts of drafts and normal runs of the various Fe's I'm hoping maybe too much for Is to balance a single player game that everyone can play their own way x.x already.

I'm just glad about the nerf personally lol.

With how inflated Awakening's stats got, Javelins were still very potent weapons, especially in the early game. And don't even pretend that Short Spears, Spears, Gradivus, Short Axes, Tomahawks, Helswath, Levin Swords, and the Ragnell weren't a thing. Plus having a throwing weapon teleport back into the user's hand doesn't even make sense.

and don't forget you can forge them into even better weapons!

Edit: oops please merge double post x.x

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

Yeah they've just always been pretty good, although it may be that I've done all sorts of drafts and normal runs of the various Fe's I'm hoping maybe too much for Is to balance a single player game that everyone can play their own way x.x already.

I'm just glad about the nerf personally lol.

Wait. I dont get it, anyone can already play how they want and win. I dont use hand axes and have beaten the GBA games with little difficulty.

In a game where 80% of a unit's offense came from its Str/Mag and weapon ranks, Javelins having low might is relevant. They could have had 0 might and people still would have stocked full inventories of them (I know I would have). The fact of the matter comes down to being able to counterattack at 1~2 range just so versatile that a difference of 11 might is trivial in comparison. Add in Dual Strikes triggering off of said counterattacks, with 80%+ proc rate at A/S support ranks and you get stuff like my runs where two pairs run around with inventories full of bog-standard Hand Axes and completely stomp all the enemies. It's also worth noting that this is without any damage procs. Luna and Ignis only make said weapons even more absurd.

Pretty much. IS buffed them pretty hard from Path of Radiance (where they were already quite good).

Edited by Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi

Doubling with a Javelin kills a lot of stuff in Awakening just because of how absurdly high the dual strike rates are. I tend to put a 1-2 range user in the lead while somebody with a silver or killer weapon consistently carries out devastating dual strike attacks.

Wait. I dont get it, anyone can already play how they want and win. I dont use hand axes and have beaten the GBA games with little difficulty.

I misworded that I meant to basically say "Is it bad that I want the games to be more balanced when anyone can win with whatever they want already"

I apologize.

Interesting things they talked about! Wish they had it all in the issue itself. xD

I wish they had gotten a new character designer, since I always enjoyed looking forward to the new art style and designs as regions change up in the previous games. More variety in that way... a character designer can only design so much before their designs' monotony starts to show, I guess.

Of course I understand why they wanted the same one back this time around, so just wishful thinking regardless. It is a little sad that it sounded like they had no other choices in mind though to the point they'd be at a total loss of what to do without him...

I figure in this day and age, it's harder to find people to design 50+ characters XD

Hehe, I think it's weird they cut out the interview as well... On one hand, the magazine is paid for, so you'd think it would have the full thing, but on the other hand, they want people to check out the website too...

Oh well, more info is always a plus!

To add to this, despite the nerfs, unless map design really works to make them unfeasible, I expect to still be largely using Javelins and Hand Axes where I can. The 1~2 is still just too versatile for getting counterattacks against all enemies (not to mention the potential player phase safety). Depending on early game stats, though, I may or may not attempt to incorporate a bow-locked class into my team (if it's another Virion, forget it). And while bows are starting to look a bit more attractive, I'd like to see them get a direct buff to set them even further above Javelins/Hand Axes, as well as keeping pace with tomes. Of course, depending on how concealed weapons play out, those may end up seeing mass deploy (IS certainly seems to be encouraging it, anyway, given that the player will have at least three concealed weapon users regardless of side chosen).

Yep, if I'm expecting a rain of fireballs and arrows, you can bet on me bringing them to a fight.

Lemme crunch some numbers for you:

Sniper Max Strength: 41

Berserker Max Strength: 50

General Max Strength: 50

Silver Bow Might: 13

Tomahawk Might: 10

Spear Might: 8

Sniper Total: 54

Berserker Total: 60

General Total: 58

In an end-game case, they are completely out-classed damage-wise by units that are supposed to be attacking up-close. You'd have to give them hand axes (3 Mt) and javelins (2 Mt) for them to be out-classed by a Silver Bow -- and even then only slightly. To put it another way, it would take a highly expensive weapon that can only be used from range for a bow-dedicated unit to match an axe-dedicated unit that's wielding a hatchet from your local hardware store. That, my friend, is the definition of bad balance.

Of course, by end-game, Brave weapons are also available, so they could greatly out-damage a berserker from range. Again though, that hatchet is hella versatile and it's not like there aren't other Brave weapons.

If we're gonna argue early-to-mid-game instead, things only get more stacked in favour of throwing weapons as your average fighter is gonna have better strength growths than your average archer. The one thing archers get over others is accuracy at range, but it's not as if everyone but them miss half their attacks.

------

Bows are supposed to be the best at ranged physical damage. Javelins/hand axes are supposed to give axe/lance-wielders some form of defense against archers/mages until they get close. Letting javelins/hand axes attack twice fits neither ideal.

I don't like the fact that dual strike/guard is guaranteed activation, that too much of advantage enemy will have over you due to their superior number. It should be like Awakening where they scale along with support ranks.

I figure in this day and age, it's harder to find people to design 50+ characters XD

Hehe, I think it's weird they cut out the interview as well... On one hand, the magazine is paid for, so you'd think it would have the full thing, but on the other hand, they want people to check out the website too...

Oh well, more info is always a plus!

Very true xD Just wishful thinking!

I'm digging through now to see which parts were and were not in the magazine based on my transcript here... wish it was clear cut, but it looks more like they cut out parts from in between areas rather than at the start/end...

Yep, if I'm expecting a rain of fireballs and arrows, you can bet on me bringing them to a fight.

Lemme crunch some numbers for you:

In an end-game case, they are completely out-classed damage-wise by units that are supposed to be attacking up-close. You'd have to give them hand axes (3 Mt) and javelins (2 Mt) for them to be out-classed by a Silver Bow -- and even then only slightly. To put it another way, it would take a highly expensive weapon that can only be used from range for a bow-dedicated unit to match an axe-dedicated unit that's wielding a hatchet from your local hardware store. That, my friend, is the definition of bad balance.

Of course, by end-game, Brave weapons are also available, so they could greatly out-damage a berserker from range. Again though, that hatchet is hella versatile and it's not like there aren't other Brave weapons.

If we're gonna argue early-to-mid-game instead, things only get more stacked in favour of throwing weapons as your average fighter is gonna have better strength growths than your average archer. The one thing archers get over others is accuracy at range, but it's not as if everyone but them miss half their attacks.

------

Bows are supposed to be the best at ranged physical damage. Javelins/hand axes are supposed to give axe/lance-wielders some form of defense against archers/mages until they get close. Letting javelins/hand axes attack twice fits neither ideal.

Adding to this, awakening stats are also stacked to have lower defence and res than the other stats. No enemy on my lunatic endgame had more defence than their major attacking stat for example.

Disclaimer: this post is speculation.

I have a simple theory for skills that would fit if reclassing doesn't reset a unit's level.

1) The first skill--the highlighted skill--is a personal skill, perhaps merely a skill they can't get from any of their classes.

This isn't a new idea, but this line of thought leaves 5 skills slots for the next idea:

2) Since there are 5 other slots, you get 2 from the un-promoted class and then 3 from the promoted class; the third (or fifth, rather) skill is when you reach the level cap.

The level cap thing is the only NEW idea here, but...well...

It's sort of a "Congratulations, you are as strong as you can be! Here, have a nice skill for making it this far."

...Even though lv15 promoted (a la Awakening) was an accomplishment in its own right, and would be only 5 levels from the level-cap-skill. Why am I trying to debunk my own idea.

Edited by Tsamimi

I think another part about wanting Kozaki to return is that he is kind of a celebrity artist, at least compared to the other artists featured so far. Having him gives Fire Emblem a kind of prestige that other artists just can't deliver.

Oboro's smugface is great. Definitely getting a spot on my Hoshido team.

If IS paid me I would totally design 50+ characters for them

already did 100+ what is another 50~

I think another part about wanting Kozaki to return is that he is kind of a celebrity artist, at least compared to the other artists featured so far. Having him gives Fire Emblem a kind of prestige that other artists just can't deliver.

Indeed, this would be included in my "I understand why" : ) I did sort of like that idea of giving other artists a chance to shine too. But I am aware they want maximum sales coverage and to get Awakening fans back and such too.

Oboro's smugface is great. Definitely getting a spot on my Hoshido team.

If IS paid me I would totally design 50+ characters for them

already did 100+ what is another 50~

I'd totally support this. Know you have one backer! xD

Edited by Kirokan