The English Title

Mackc2

So I just read on the the forums the game is called Fire emblem Fates: Birthright and conquest

I absolutely despise this name Fates was a stupid substitute for If and I cannot even express how much I hate the secondary title names. Now that I've got my opinion out of the way I would like to hear everyone else's because everyone will have their opinion on this new title.

Sounds a bit clunky. Fates. I would've preferred if it was like Fate of ____ or a longer subtitle like back in da day. I don't know why but the one-syllable sounds so awkward on its own. It's not like I hate it, and I'll get used to it eventually, just not what I expected.

It's a pretty generic subtitle, much like Awakening was (although at least this one is slightly more topical? Maybe?). I'm not terribly bothered by its shortness, since there's going to be another subtitle after it (Birthright or Conquest). I'm not sure if those are the names I'd have gone for myself but they're pretty evocative so eh I'm happy enough with it.

Honestly I'm just happy it's not actually going to be called "if".

I definitely preferred "if" over "Fates". "if" offered choice, much like how the game is advertised. "Fates" sounds like things are bound to a certain path, therefore making choices rather limited. Granted, this is just reading into the context a little much, but "if" also sounds nicer in my opinion.

As I said in an earlier thread, this kind of reaction is hilarious.

All you people were shouting the same anger when the "if" subtitle was first announced.

Who are "all you people"?

I definitely preferred "if" over "Fates". "if" offered choice, much like how the game is advertised. "Fates" sounds like things are bound to a certain path, therefore making choices rather limited. Granted, this is just reading into the context a little much, but "if" also sounds nicer in my opinion.

Since we are getting two versions as well, your fate seems pretty sealed without DLC, depending on what version you buy, so I don't mind.

It's not a very memorable title, but neither is if. So, the name is ok in my book.

I don't know what to think of the subtitles yet though.

Numerous people I saw all around here and other similar websites. It was like everyone thought that "if" didn't even sound like a real subtitle.

Numerous =/= all. By saying "all" you're accusing every single person here.

Edited by Ryo

Dunno don't care, I'll still call it FEIf Hoshido/Nohr. Seriously, If is just way better than 'Fates', I don't know who thought it was a good idea.

I think 'if' sounds pretty silly, to be honest, so I'm thankful for the title change for the western market. I also quite like the asymmetry between "Birthright" and "Conquest". It makes them sound a lot more different than the Japanese titles do, and it puts emphasis on the nature of the player's choice in a way that the Japanese titles don't.

(Also, it's kind of funny how after FE:A, we'll now be getting FE:B and FE:C.)

It can be named better but honestly I'm not too bothered by it. The only thing I dislike is the font that they chose for "Fates".

Agreed. "Fates" isn't entirely all that bad. I just think that the font looks more iffy (pun?).

Overall I'm not really all that fussed about the title. I'm just glad we were even able to get an English title and trailer.

Edited by stitchedwithlove

I think 'if' sounds pretty silly, to be honest, so I'm thankful for the title change for the western market. I also quite like the asymmetry between "Birthright" and "Conquest". It makes them sound a lot more different than the Japanese titles do, and it puts emphasis on the nature of the player's choice in a way that the Japanese titles don't.

(Also, it's kind of funny how after FE:A, we'll now be getting FE:B and FE:C.)

I didn't even think about the A, B, C thing haha.

Although I think IF worked much better then Fates as a subtitle personally (Because well its a what if scenario). Fates sounds so generic, although the after titles as you said are pretty nice.

I like "Birthright" and "Conquest", and each seems to fit theme of each story. "Fates" is cool and signifies the permanence of your decision. And despite having two subtitles, the name is still brief. At least we don't have another "Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem - Heroes of Light and Shadow" or "Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations".

Both Fire Emblem 'If' and Fire Emblem 'Fates' sound strange to me but they fit at the same time due to the context of the story. As for 'Conquest' and 'Birthright' I actually like this more than 'Hoshido' and 'Nohr', I mean they basically give you a taste of what those games are gonna be about whereas 'Hoshido' and 'Nohr' are just the names of the two separate countries, which you would already know after looking at the back of the case so it seems a bit redundant. Birthright on the other hand represents your blood ties to your family on the Hoshido side while Conquest represents Nohr and how Garon is trying to conquer the lands. So yea, I like 'em.

Edited by Kyza

Personally I liked 'if' better than 'fate', but I'm gonna get used to it over time so it doesn't really matter.

I do have issues with Conquest and Birthright though. Conquest doesn't have a positive connotation about it compared to Birthright, so for someone who wouldn't know better about if/fate's background, they might think Conquest is the eviler side (doesn't help that the box is darker-themed). Although I am stumped on finding another suitable name for Nohr campaign but just my humble opinion.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but it sounds a lot better if they drop "Fates", and just call them Fire Emblem: Birthright, and Fire Emblem: Conquest.

Adding Fates just makes it seem like a scramble of words.

I didn't even think about the A, B, C thing haha.

Although I think IF worked much better then Fates as a subtitle personally (Because well its a what if scenario). Fates sounds so generic, although the after titles as you said are pretty nice.

Fire Emblem Destiny confirmed for 2018

I don't hate the idea of "Fates" I think... It can sound good... Guess we are still a bit used to if to call it ohterwise.

Also the subtitle beingshort is no a problem for me....But Birthright and Conquest feel odd... Fire Emblem Fates Birthright is so awkward... Fire emblem Fates Conquest sound better but it doesn't roll off your tongue as Fire Emblem If Byakuya Oukoku... and Fates and Conquest don't match somehow... They could have found better name but it could have been a lot worse.... How ? don't ask me...

EDIT : ^Agreed.

Edited by Luxian

Personally, I greatly prefer 'Fates' over 'If'. 'If' is too forgettable. 'Fates' is a little more memorable. The addition of the letter 's' to the end of the word especially. It implies that there's multiple outcomes, and that your choices will determine which fate is brought about. Even if there is only one time you have to make a decision, there's still at least three outcomes, if we get the DLC paths. That's three different fates of the three countries and their people. And there might be more then a single choice that they're telling us about.

As for the subtitles of Birthright and Conquest... I like them. I would have preferred they remain Hoshido and Nohr, but Birthright and Conquest aren't bad. They still show you what side your choosing. Both can be taken negatively or positively, as, in the end, they're just words, and it's the events that the words are talking about that can imply whether they're good or bad.

Of course, this is just my opinion on the matter.