Soleil/M!Kamui's Supports are almost offensive

EJ107

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that, and I don't believe it. The post claims it's going to refute the post, yet then refuses to actually post a translation or even mention a specific scene (is it a support conversation? What?) that does so because of "spoilers." I could be wrong, but for now I call BS on the "pretending to be bisexual" thing.

I found that imgur post strange too... it felt more like a passionate fan defending the game rather than the topic at hand to me. Which isn't a problem, but the objective may come off differently.

Meanwhile, I saw on twitter that nichegamer is now going to go through the support dialogue, step by step, translating it with the context... I really do not think this will help, and may just make it explode even more. xD... I keep saying it is no the translation at fault here...it's the way people are going to read it or take their interpretation : \

Edited by Kirokan

You people are the same that think Kanji from Persona 4 is gay, don't you.

Nah. They think Ike X Soren is canon.

Edited by Jacien

I sort of wonder if they really noticed...

Probably not, just because the blowup isn't THAT big (and it'll be forgotten in a week, let's face it). And even if they did, I doubt they'd care much. This is what happens when gamers have a serious case of "boy who cried wolf syndrome" wherein they have complained so much about trivial bs that when something even semi-serious happens (though in all honesty one wonky support convo isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things) it gets ignored because companies are so used to having to endure petty BS day-in day-out it's hard to not just turn it into white noise and move on. I certainly can't blame them.

Probably not, just because the blowup isn't THAT big (and it'll be forgotten in a week, let's face it). And even if they did, I doubt they'd care much. This is what happens when gamers have a serious case of "boy who cried wolf syndrome" wherein they have complained so much about trivial bs that when something even semi-serious happens (though in all honesty one wonky support convo isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things) it gets ignored because companies are so used to having to endure petty BS day-in day-out it's hard to not just turn it into white noise and move on. I certainly can't blame them.

Indeed, in a later post I mentioned the unlikelyness of such, but it's good to hear a second opinon on it.

Now I'm worried about nichegamer's upcoming coverage. Does anybody know this site? Are they click baity? Or do you think they will really help dispel it? xD

Indeed, in a later post I mentioned the unlikelyness of such, but it's good to hear a second opinon on it.

Now I'm worried about nichegamer's upcoming coverage. Does anybody know this site? Are they click baity? Or do you think they will really help dispel it? xD

They'll likely try to use it as a weapon in the "SJW vs Gamergate" war.

If you don't know what the heck that is, count yourself lucky. But no, I don't anticipate their coverage causing things to calm down.

They'll likely try to use it as a weapon in the "SJW vs Gamergate" war.

If you don't know what the heck that is, count yourself lucky. But no, I don't anticipate their coverage causing things to calm down.

I have no idea what that is, so had to look it up. Only heard these terms recently pertaining to this support actually.

Sigh... that is unfortunate to hear though. Guess everybody will know about "that one gay character Soleil." by the time everything calms down. xD

I've never even HEARD of that site; but it's a gaming site, so I don't trust it to act professional on principle. Maybe I wouldn't be so jaded with gaming journalists trying to talk about social issues if they weren't so AWFUL at it. We seriously have a long freaking way to go before we start talking about the topics people associate with Soleil.

I've never even HEARD of that site; but it's a gaming site, so I don't trust it to act professional on principle. Maybe I wouldn't be so jaded with gaming journalists trying to talk about social issues if they weren't so AWFUL at it. We seriously have a long freaking way to go before we start talking about the topics people associate with Soleil.

Indeed. I feel a little awkward that she was my daughter in my first run and like I can't talk about the supports and such without all this coming in the way xD

I never heard of it either, but if someone with a 50 person following on twitter got such a ridiculous thing posted after merely trolling, I wonder what 1000+ follower group that is serious about it will do.

Time will tell I guess. Until then I think over here we should just quiet down about it and move on best we can.

So I slept on it. I still think the localization should address Kamui slipping a drug to her and instead have it be like... magic he attempted to cast or something. She could still maybe get a bit upset by it, but magic is a bit more flexible in terms of it's uses and ideally having Kamui learn not to just try things without asking people would be good. (Slip in some development for Kamui, why not?). As for Soliel's bisexualness, I guess I'll wait for full translations or the game before coming to a real conclusion now. Sure, it seems she's into cute girls, but if that whole getting back at her father (Inigo is Virion 2.0 after all) thing turns out true, it makes sense. So I've calmed my jet and am getting off the ride for a while. At least until some other big news comes along.

About the whole "getting back at her father" thing、

Do we have a general support with her mother, then? I think that would be the most logical place it would appear.

Sjws blow everything outta context its like they are so quick to rage on something but the wankers don't even take the time to research what their raging on if they did they actually would know how wrong they are but again its tumblr and Sjws so expecting logic is to much.

Okay, a request. I did kind of breach the topic myself, when responding about Niche Gamer, but can we please keep this thread on topic, specifically Soleil's supports and whether information elsewhere reveals further details about her sexaulity, and not turn this into to a big "SJW vs Anti-SJW vs GamerGate vs Whatever" thread?

I'm not a mod, so this is just a friendly request, but I think we'd all be happier if this didn't turn into a big SJW argument.

EDIT: And with that in mind, Kirokan, you mentioned Soleil was your daughter in your run. Did you do her supports with the avatar/her father? And if so, was there anything that related to the "she's pretending to be bi" claim?

Edited by Mad_Scientist

So I see nothing homophobic about this. She's bi but has a leaning towards girls. But let's say a guy dressed up in a dress and she started liking him because of that, would that be bad? No. So I see little problem with the whole liking Kamui thing.

So it comes down to the frug, and I think cultural values has something to do with this. I'm not sure slipping something in a girl's drink that causes her to like you more is quite the list of buzz words it is in english, so there was probably a bit of "what could go wrong" involved. Insensitive, yes, but not immoral. The most I can really get out of this is that Kamui was an asshole and the support is poorly written.

Of course, part of the problem is that female Kamui can't marry her, despite the fact that she can marry this other girl... And really, their A-rank support reads like any other romantic one's A-Rank.

Yea, that's just bad decision on IS part. I don't know anything about not!Tharja (and don't want to since I'm avoiding spoilers) but it seems like this girl should have been the lesbian/bisexual. Or heck, both of them. Don't know why they thought it needed to be just one girl...

They could just change her character completely, or fully rework the support. I mean, look at Gregor as an example of the former. He was vastly different from his japan-self and in my opinion, that worked out for the better. There was also Cordelia bringing up her.. small chest much more often in her supports.

Okay, a request. I did kind of breach the topic myself, when responding about Niche Gamer, but can we please keep this thread on topic, specifically Soleil's supports and whether information elsewhere reveals further details about her sexaulity, and not turn this into to a big "SJW vs Anti-SJW vs GamerGate vs Whatever" thread?

I'm not a mod, so this is just a friendly request, but I think we'd all be happier if this didn't turn into a big SJW argument.

EDIT: And with that in mind, Kirokan, you mentioned Soleil was your daughter in your run. Did you do her supports with the avatar/her father? And if so, was there anything that related to the "she's pretending to be bi" claim?

Ah, sorry about bringing Niche Gamer, was meant to just be a one post question that I felt was relevant to the issue.

But yes, I was her mother, I got her supports with Lazward (which are already translated here). I haven't done a specific cross check, but it seems to be right from what I remember when reading. With her father, she clearly loves him very much, and would do anything for him. She often speaks in hyperbole ("I picked up FIVE girls today!"...<I wonder what the original line was for this, may check the text dump>) as well as feeling guilty for any negative thing that happens to him. The last few lines are the most telling. I guess that is why people may assume she is trying to impress her father, what with the dancing and all too. I think it is more she does not want to see her father down, rather than make him proud. A slight difference, but it can go the other way.

For mother and daughter supports, I see there is no translation yet, and I only got the C support so far, but from what I remember she was praising FeMui for being a powerful yet so pretty woman, wanting to be like her. I'll check out the text dump when I get the time for this one though to make sure I'm remembering correctly. : )

But yes, I was her mother, I got her supports with Lazward (which are already translated here). I haven't done a specific cross check, but it seems to be right from what I remember when reading. With her father, she clearly loves him very much, and would do anything for him. She often speaks in hyperbole ("I picked up FIVE girls today!"...<I wonder what the original line was for this, may check the text dump>) as well as feeling guilty for any negative thing that happens to him. The last few lines are the most telling. I guess that is why people may assume she is trying to impress her father, what with the dancing and all too. I think it is more she does not want to see her father down, rather than make him proud. A slight difference, but it can go the other way.

For mother and daughter supports, I see there is no translation yet, and I only got the C support so far, but from what I remember she was praising FeMui for being a powerful yet so pretty woman, wanting to be like her. I'll check out the text dump when I get the time for this one though to make sure I'm remembering correctly. : )

Ah, thanks.

And I have to say, her supports with Lazward certainly DO NOT sound anything like "she pretended this way to get revenge on her father but ended up regretting it when it became a habit." Not that the claim wasn't she did it to impress him, but to get revenge. It would be incredibly weird for that to be a detail revealed somewhere else, yet not even hinted at in her support with him.

Edited by Mad_Scientist

Ah, thanks.

And I have to say, her supports with Lazward certainly DO NOT sound anything like "she pretended this way to get revenge on her father but ended up regretting it when it became a habit." Not that the claim wasn't she did it to impress him, but to get revenge. It would be incredibly weird for that to be a detail revealed somewhere else, yet not even hinted at in her support with him.

What? To get revenge? Did somebody really say that? : \ I saw no hint of this at all. She wouldn't even think about doing that to her dad, much less anyone else. Doesn't seem to vengeful xD

Y'know, this is why people should be careful when putting things such as homosexuality in their game. Especially if there is something called waifus, husbandos and 'value dissonance'.

Hell, when you see that even Bioware, the people known for that, have a hard time doing it...

What? To get revenge? Did somebody really say that? : \ I saw no hint of this at all. She wouldn't even think about doing that to her dad, much less anyone else. Doesn't seem to vengeful xD

Yep. Here's an exact quote from the post: "Without spoiling too much, she pretended this way to get revenge on her father but ended up regretting it when it became a habit."

The problem is that there was nothing inherently homophobic in the conversation. They just handled it as delicately as they would any other topic. Not with disrespect, but they didn't seem to understand the hyper-sensitivity that would be in the US that would result in anything other than ultra-respectful representations of anything not cis gendered/heterosexual in the story be percieved as an attack

Y'know, this is why people should be careful when putting things such as homosexuality in their game. Especially if there is something called waifus, husbandos and 'value dissonance'.

Hell, when you see that even Bioware, the people known for that, have a hard time doing it...

It's actually pretty easy. Take one of the many S Supports in the game and change the pronouns. If you sneeze and accidentally type a story about a horrible stereotype getting drugged by her future husband, press backspace. Edited by gayserbeam