General US Politics

Ansem

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does anyone need to see Trump's birth certificate? I've never heard or seen it brought up at all. (wasn't the case with Obama though...)

Edited by Anacybele

because he forced out obama's on some bullshit claim, it's only fair

This, basically. If you're going to demand to see one man's birth certificate, it's only common courtesy to show them yours, too. And the long form as well, of course.

Also, that the only nonwhite president has been accused of not being born in America, while white presidents were just commonly agreed to have been born in the U.S. is just outright idiotic. If you're going to make Obama show his birth certificate, then make every president after him, white or not, do the same. It's perpetuating the idea that people who are of minority groups are "always foreigners" no matter how long we've lived here.

Trump wasn't born in the United States because I said so.

There, I said it. Show me the birth certificate.

(Note: this is the exact argument used against Obama. That's the point here.)

Edited by Lord Raven

Source? I'd like to see proof that anyone made such a claim about Obama. Also, his name doesn't exactly sound American, you know.

First of all, that you feel it's appropriate to judge his place of birth based purely on his name is pretty shitty.

Second of all, here's some images. You can also feel free to google the birther movement:

http://weavemama.tumblr.com/post/153013862988/i-dont-wanna-hear-a-damn-thing-from-white-people

Hey hey hey. Guess what. My name doesn't sound American either.

I was born in the U.S.

So screw your "his name doesn't sound American".

Edited by Sunwoo

I just see protesters in those photos, not Trump demanding to see Obama's birth certificate.

Also, it's not shitty at all. His name doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't born in the US, but it DOES sound different enough to raise a bit of a red flag. Proof of his birth should've been necessary.

EDIT: Please don't put words in my mouth. Read what I just said.

Edited by Anacybele

I just see protesters in those photos, not Trump demanding to see Obama's birth certificate.

Also, it's not shitty at all. His name doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't born in the US, but it DOES sound different enough to raise a bit of a red flag.

NO IT ISN'T OMFG

This statement just reeks of negative implications. People from all over the fucking world come to America, settle down here, and have children here. Are you seriously going to assume that everyone who has a non-white sounding name is the immigrant or not native-born, huh?

If you put me and Shin next to each other, and we were walking around together around my city, you'd assume if neither of us were talking that he's the American and I'm the foreigner. Well, he's from Britain and I'm from the U.S. and born here too. See how stupid this line of reasoning is? Kindly stop, because you're going down a very ... unpleasant path.

Ok, 2 things:

1. How have you not even heard of people making (false) claims that Obama wasn't born in the U.S. even once?

2. What exactly is an "American-sounding name" then? Cause judging him for how supposedly foreign his name sounds is pretty bullshit.

EDIT: Just saw Ana's most recent post. What the fuck.

Edited by Carmine Sword

It is shitty. My name is Muhed Rana, and people treat you like you're unamerican even though you were born in America.

Ana, your name is Kelly isn't it? You don't get weird looks or judgments as far as being American goes. It's actually pretty fucked up that people judge you on your name, your skin color or your heritage.

If you want proof of people going ham on the birther movement - look at the 2008 campaign, and look at Donald Trump circa 2011.

EDIT: I've got a friend named Scott who wasn't born in the US. Nobody is gonna question it.

Our grad director is a white dude from the Netherlands who was going past border patrol. They stopped him, asked him if he was a US citizen, and he truthfully replied "no". They were questioning him on his "no" answer because he was white, and they let him through anyway.

Edited by Lord Raven

NO IT ISN'T OMFG

This statement just reeks of negative implications. People from all over the fucking world come to America, settle down here, and have children here. Are you seriously going to assume that everyone who has a non-white sounding name is the immigrant or not native-born, huh?

If you put me and Shin next to each other, and we were walking around together around my city, you'd assume if neither of us were talking that he's the American and I'm the foreigner. Well, he's from Britain and I'm from the U.S. and born here too. See how stupid this line of reasoning is? Kindly stop, because you're going down a very ... unpleasant path.

Okay, how about you stop being so fucking rude?

And I'm not in a good mood right now, so I hardly need this. My "path" is not the least bit unpleasant. If you heard a totally unusual name from someone running for an office like president, wouldn't you want proof that he/she was born in the US just to be safe? It's not meant to insult them, just to assure people he/she is legit. If there's legit proof, okay, great! No problems!

EDIT: Not shitty to me, sorry. Lord Raven, that's my first name. I'm talking about LAST names here.

EDIT2: Wow, is everyone going to be so RUDE today?

Edited by Anacybele

You can't say it's not shitty when you've never experienced it.

If you heard a totally unusual name from someone running for an office like president, wouldn't you want proof that he/she was born in the US just to be safe? It's not meant to insult them, just to assure people he/she is legit.

No, because that verification was done well before he ran. It's an insult to assume something about their birthplace based on their skin color and name, especially since the verification is 90% likely to have already been done.

EDIT2: Wow, is everyone going to be so RUDE today?

206636171_0021c26a2e_m.jpg

You planted the seeds and reap what you sew. You have to understand that your viewpoint on this is not only rude in general but it is directly rude to at least two people posting in this thread.

Edited by Lord Raven

Okay, how about you stop being so fucking rude?

And I'm not in a good mood right now, so I hardly need this. My "path" is not the least bit unpleasant. If you heard a totally unusual name from someone running for an office like president, wouldn't you want proof that he/she was born in the US just to be safe? It's not meant to insult them, just to assure people he/she is legit.

EDIT: Lord Raven, that's my first name. I'm talking about LAST names here.

How about you stop making statements withs such negative implications that are outright insulting not only to me but to several people in SF and the world?

Also, don't act like you're the only one who's not been in a good mood. I've been in a SHITTY IRL headspace the last two weeks and do you see ME playing victim here? No, you don't, so you don't get a pass on not being in a good mood. Also, no, no I wouldn't. Because I'd assume that if they were allowed to run that they were cleared in the FIRST PLACE, and like I said it's fallacious to assume that just because you have a "white" sounding last name that they're automatically American. This is shit, and not the good kind. It really says more about you that you would suspect someone who had a nonwhite sounding last name.

Also, it's not shitty at all. His name doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't born in the US, but it DOES sound different enough to raise a bit of a red flag.

EDIT: Please don't put words in my mouth. Read what I just said.

Really? Asking where someone's papers are isn't questioning his birth certificate? Fine then, here's another one for you.

image.jpg

And yes, it is shitty. Does having a foreign sounding name automatically mean someone was born overseas? Or, now follow me on this one, could it mean that they are of foreign descent? And yes, having to ask for proof is shitty because it would be done before hand. Asking for him to reveal his certificate even though he got cleared is asinine.

Every name that isn't indigenous/Native American could be said to not be American. Unless you're 100% Native, your ancestors (and we're talking pretty recently in terms of how long this continent has been inhabited) were immigrants. Probably undocumented, too.

How about you stop making statements withs such negative implications that are outright insulting not only to me but to several people in SF and the world?

Also, don't act like you're the only one who's not been in a good mood. I've been in a SHITTY IRL headspace the last two weeks and do you see ME playing victim here? No, you don't, so you don't get a pass on not being in a good mood. Also, no, no I wouldn't. Because I'd assume that if they were allowed to run that they were cleared in the FIRST PLACE, and like I said it's fallacious to assume that just because you have a "white" sounding last name that they're automatically American. This is shit, and not the good kind. It really says more about you that you would suspect someone who had a nonwhite sounding last name.

I never said anything about race being a factor here. Just the name. Stop. Putting. Words. In. My. Mouth.

You're insulted? You're too sensitive. I wouldn't care at all if someone thought I didn't seem American. I'd only say "well, I am" and move on. I'm not going to stress out over what ONE person thinks. Besides, I wasn't even referring to you or Lord Raven directly and I DID say that an unusual name doesn't automatically mean you weren't born here.

Edited by Anacybele

I never said anything about race being a factor here. Just the name. Stop. Putting. Words. In. My. Mouth.

You're insulted? You're too sensitive. I wouldn't care at all if someone thought I didn't seem American. I'd only say "well, I am" and move on. I'm not going to stress out over what ONE person thinks.

You don't have to say it for it to be one HELL of an implication. You tell me to stop putting words in your mouth. How about you watch what you're saying?

I'm too sensitive? Ha, ha. Look who's talking. You have literally no right to be calling other people sensitive, Ana. And it is insulting, Just because you haven't dealt with it personally doesn't mean it isn't insulting for other people, to be treated like perpetual foreigners when they were born here. If it were only one person, it's not a big deal. When it's a general culture and attitude from many people, then it's a problem. Just because you don't get it yourself, or have witnessed it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist and is a problem for other people. Have more perspective.

And ... you have noticed, everyone else in this thread who's replied to you agrees with me? So are we all wrong, then? Because I notice you're responding only to me. I'm not an easy target, and I will not back off.

Edited by Sunwoo