General US Politics

Ansem

lol people have said that to my face plenty of times, it's extremely condescending. The fact that you haven't experienced it nor want to make a point of understanding it tells wonders.

You know why it's condescending? Because people presumptuously label you as non-american and comment on your ability to learn things in America because you may or may not have been born here. And they assume you weren't born here because your parents weren't from the US (although second generation Americans will still have this issue). It makes them label you as somehow inferior or stupid before they even get to know you, or before actually addressing problems. Failing english? Well he looks foreign, his name is foreign, so it must be because he's foreign and not from here! Not because he is a legitimately shitty writer!

And plot twist, I was born in the US. They have no reason to make that presumption, especially since they have to do that check as soon as you start running for the US in private. People question it anyway because he happens to be a black dude with a different name than your usual John Smith.

Edited by Lord Raven

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't have to say it for it to be one HELL of an implication. You tell me to stop putting words in your mouth. How about you watch what you're saying?

I'm too sensitive? Ha, ha. Look who's talking you. You have literally no right to be calling other people sensitive, Ana. And it is insulting, Just because you haven't dealt with it personally doesn't mean it isn't insulting for other people, to be treated like perpetual foreigners when they were born here. If it were only one person, it's not a big deal. When it's a general culture and attitude from many people, then it's a problem. Just because you don't get it yourself, or have witnessed it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist and is a problem for other people. Have more perspective.

And ... you have noticed, everyone else in this thread who's replied to you agrees with me? So are we all wrong, then? Because I notice you're responding only to me. I'm not an easy target, and I will not back off.

I fail to see what implication you're talking about. I never said Trump was American only because he's white or that Obama didn't seem American only because he's black. I mentioned his NAME and nothing but. There was no mention or implication of skin color, so it'd be nice if you'd stop bringing it up and stop treating me like a fucking racist.

Now you're just going to bully me too? Then I'm finished. I don't need to listen to this. I'm only letting you win if I do.

Have you also noticed how fast everyone is posting? And the posts I try to make on SF load super slow for some reason. By the time my post shows up, others are already there. Yours just happened to be the ones I saw first.

Edited by Anacybele

I fail to see what implication you're talking about. I never said Trump was American only because he's white or that Obama didn't seem American only because he's black. I mentioned his NAME and nothing but. There was no mention or implication of skin color, so it'd be nice if you'd stop bringing it up and stop treating me like a fucking racist.

Now you're just going to bully me too? Then I'm finished. I don't need to listen to this. I'm only letting you win if I do.

Have you also noticed how fast everyone is posting? And the posts I try to make on SF load super slow for some reason. By the time my post shows up, others are already there.

Saying that it's okay to suspect someone of being born outside the US because they don't have an 'American' sounding name is racist. You can't say racist things and then get upset when people call you out for being racist.

Edited by The Blind Idiot God

How does one not seem American? I was always under the impression that this country was meant to be a melting pot of cultures. What is an American? A white person?

Indeed.

(BTW I meant to add to my post on the previous page, any name is American as much as it isn't American. You can't point to one name and not another. I hope that was clear!)

Why we're afraid is a site documenting the racial and sexual attacks directly linked to Trump's election. This is the legacy so far. People aren't overreacting when they fear for their very lives.

Saying that it's okay to suspect someone of being born outside the US because they don't have an 'American' sounding name is racist. You can't say racist things and then get upset when people call you out for being racist.

So not even bringing up race still makes me "racist." Wow, that makes a lot of sense.

Look, can we just drop it before this gets out of hand? I've already had to deal with such a conflict earlier this evening, one that I didn't even start (the other person replied to my posts first, I just replied back and tried to be as civil as possible) and I don't want anymore of it. Please.

You shouldn't need to produce a birth certificate to make someone else feel more at ease about you lol or "just to make sure".

Nevermind that even producing it didn't stop him from then going on to suggest it was fake because reasons.

Have you also noticed how fast everyone is posting? And the posts I try to make on SF load super slow for some reason. By the time my post shows up, others are already there. Yours just happened to be the ones I saw first.

The fact that you think his name is un-American, or that there's such thing as a name being "American" speaks volumes enough. If a president with the last name "Kim" wanted to run for president, I'm sure there'd be people wondering if they were born in the U.S. and that's pretty terrible. If they're not an American-born person, then they wouldn't be allowed to run. There's no need for people to have suspicion once they actually get past that!

I'm only telling you my perspective and how I see it. This is how you're coming off to me, and I'll let you know that. If you're going to call every instance of people pointing out things you say that aren't nice as bullying, that's on you.

So not even bringing up race still makes me "racist." Wow, that makes a lot of sense.

You have a very narrow definition of the word racist. How is assuming was born outside the US just because their name doesn't sound 'American' not racist?

"Race" to the White House, indeed.

Anyway, are they really not done yet with the vote counting? I could understand if with the count to 270 in the Electoral Process being done means it would slow down, but I'm surprised to still see the popular vote numbers still changing.

The fact that you think his name is un-American, or that there's such thing as a name being "American" speaks volumes enough. If a president with the last name "Kim" wanted to run for president, I'm sure there'd be people wondering if they were born in the U.S. and that's pretty terrible. If they're not an American-born person, then they wouldn't be allowed to run. There's no need for people to have suspicion once they actually get past that!

I'm only telling you my perspective and how I see it. This is how you're coming off to me, and I'll let you know that. If you're going to call every instance of people pointing out things you say that aren't nice as bullying, that's on you.

I'm not saying you calling me out is bullying, I'm saying you laughing at me the way you did was bullying.

As for that website, all of those things are horrible and I do not condone them. But what sickens me is that someone there said that supporting Trump automatically means you favor those things. No, it does NOT. I would NEVER support vicious acts like those. I supported Trump because I felt he would be better than Hillary and I liked a lot of his ideas. Nothing about being against LGBT+ or women's rights or any cruel BS like that. I never even expected anything like those acts to happen. And some good Trump supporters are in fear for their lives too because they're being branded like this. The bad Trump supporters are horrible, but the people hating on the good ones are seriously no better. I've been afraid to tell people irl that I supported Trump because of this.

Edited by Anacybele

Man, Hillary Clinton never said that she'd ban people based on religion or not allow Mexican immigrants here because they're sending their rapists. Tim Kaine never said that he wanted government-funded electro-shock gay conversion therapy. And Kaine never made a statement that they're going to strike down LGBT rights, because their religion comes before their country. Clinton supporters would just be smug, not violent.

At any rate, you also can't easily walk up to someone on the street and say they're a racist then attack them or smear them. You can make a baseline assumption that someone is Muslim based on the color of their skin and harass them or attack them. Just today I was riding my bike down the bike lane and three white dudes in a car pointed at me and said BANNED. That's fucked up, and that mentality is almost vindicated. We're not saying you advocate for those things, so much as it's real. It's a shitty feeling.

Furthermore, Trump's entire campaign in 2011 was the birther conspiracy. If you've been keeping track you'd have known.

Edited by Lord Raven

Man, Hillary Clinton never said that she'd ban people based on religion or not allow Mexican immigrants here because they're sending their rapists. Tim Kaine never said that he wanted government-funded electro-shock gay conversion therapy. And Kaine never made a statement that they're going to strike down LGBT rights, because their religion comes before their country. Clinton supporters would just be smug, not violent.

Then explain why the radio broadcast this morning described people who were salty about Trump's win getting violent by rioting and even assaulting a Trump supporter with a skateboard. Dozens of arrests were made. I heard this on the radio, so I can't post a source, but there might be an article somewhere.

Then explain why the radio broadcast this morning described people who were salty about Trump's win getting violent by rioting and even assaulting a Trump supporter with a skateboard. Dozens of arrests were made. I heard this on the radio, so I can't post a source, but there might be an article somewhere.

If you can find the article, then we can talk. Until then, I will remain skeptical but unsurprised.

I'm not saying you calling me out is bullying, I'm saying you laughing at me the way you did was bullying.

Wow, S-E-N-S-I-T-I-V-E. You know, I could've added a bunch of nasty and insulting statements to the end of that "ha, ha". All things that you've basically proven in the last couple of posts. But I'm not going to because I'm not a horrible person. The reason I posted "ha, ha" is because it's laughable that you'd accuse someone else of being too sensitive in a negative manner when that's all you've ever shown. That's not bullying, that's more of a sign of how mind boggled I am that you think what you do is somehow okay and everyone else is not. You're too sensitive, which there isn't anything inherently wrong with, but you automatically lose all right to call decry anyone else as sensitive in the negative fashion that you have.

Edited by Sunwoo

Also, that the only nonwhite president has been accused of not being born in America, while white presidents were just commonly agreed to have been born in the U.S. is just outright idiotic.

Are you forgetting the big stink thrown over the fact that Cruz was born in Canada?

Are you forgetting the big stink thrown over the fact that Cruz was born in Canada?

Not gonna lie, I actually did. Aside from the Zodiac Killer meme, Cruz is just really forgettable for me. Besides, doesn't he get citizenship from his mother's side?

Can't forget what I never knew. I didn't pay attention to the Republican primaries, so my bad on that. That said, the way Obama was hounded to release his birth certificate for years is ridiculous, and I've also heard that there are some people who still believe he's not an American or born in the U.S. That's ridiculous.

Edited by Sunwoo

It was perfectly reasonable to be suspicious of Cruz — just look at his last name! I don't even buy him being born in Canada; he's obviously from Mexico or Cuba.

Oh joy, white people being assaulted because "they voted for Trump" regardless of whether or not they actually did. Saw one of them cross my twitter timeline, then caught up on another shortly thereafter. That one's much closer to home. Minorities aren't the only ones feeling afraid right now.

According to Linders and police reports: The first assault occurred between 9:30 p.m. and 9:45 p.m. when a 42-year-old man disembarked from the Green Line at University Avenue near Dale Street when it was shut down due to the demonstration.

He started walking home when three men and a woman confronted him near the corner of Marion Street, he said.

They accused him of voting for Trump, Linders said. He told the group he didnt vote for Trump.

The group told the man that white voters elected Trump. He told the group he was gay and would not judge others.

Two of the men punched the victim in the face multiple times and called him a homophobic slur while their two companions laughed, Linders said.

Edited by Balcerzak

If you can find the article, then we can talk. Until then, I will remain skeptical but unsurprised.

http://louderwithcrowder.com/california-anti-trump-rioting/

​It's almost as if you endlessly call people bigots and racists, they're going to get fed up and turn on you. In the absence of evidence of racism, Ana must clearly be racist.

I'm backing Ana on this one. You guys are kinda unbelievable.