General US Politics

Ansem

When it's said that Bernie's supporters are "overwhelmingly white", it means his support base is mostly white voters. What is hard to understand about that?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/02/04/why-exactly-does-bernie-sanders-struggle-with-black-and-hispanic-voters-heres-why/

there's an overall upward trend for bernie and a downward trend for clinton. i'd take that as good news more than anything else. also, it's kinda funny that we've accepted kirby's statement at all, since (if i'm interpreting correctly) his statement basically translates to "he won't win because there aren't enough white democrats." i can't think of a sillier way to oversimplify this entire process lol

it was an attempt to poke fun at what i thought was an odd use of that particular adverb, but it turns out it can also be used to mean "mostly by far", which i'll admit i wasn't aware of. (i haven't ever personally used 'overwhelmingly' that way before.) but in any case, it was still redundant to say "most" and "overwhelmingly."

Edited by Phoenix Wright

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard that Bernie does not support reparations for African Americans. I have also heard that he sponsored a bill to dump toxic waste in the mostly latino community of Sierra Blanca, Texas.

Do you have a source for this?

I have heard that Bernie does not support reparations for African Americans. I have also heard that he sponsored a bill to dump toxic waste in the mostly latino community of Sierra Blanca, Texas.

Well, do Clinton or anyone else support reparations?

Woo, reading material~! Thanks~!

In order:

- I don't agree with The Atlantic article. What it failed to address is how these reparations would help blacks more than stuff like raising minimum wage.

- Huffington Post is dead to me.

- The Washington Post article looks like a summary of The Atlantic article.

- Didn't expect to see this gem in the Mediate article:

As for Sanders, he ought to at least explain why he was so quick to dismiss reparations when he’s happily advocating for forty acres of health care and a college tuition mule, because on its face, it seems to indicate a real difference in the way these two candidates think about racial justice. And Sanders’ supporters ought to ease up on Coates, because they’re not helping their guy. It’s not a “smear” to quote someone accurately and ask for an explanation. It’s to his credit that he has begun a discussion about an issue he’s long championed, but unfortunately, that discussion will be more about how the issue of reparations makes candidates look than it will be about reparations themselves.

which I wholeheartedly agree with. By using it as a personal attack, it drives away discussion on the issue itself.

Still waiting for a source regarding toxic waste, and I think kirby should be the one to provide it.

...Reparations for African Americans? Why should this even be a thing again? Yes, there was institutionalized racism up until the early 60s in the US, but taking into account that it's been over for around 50-55 years by now, the last few people that lived a signifcant amount of their lives under that period do not constitute a major percentage of their population anymore. (And in which case I still consider a monetary compensation of any kind something that looks rather distasteful)

A few days ago I had this weird dream where Trump was "campaigning" in Germany and then he went "missing" . I checked the internet and on the Huffington Post it said "Trump may be dead" . I think it has something to do with the refugees.

Anyways, the primaries on the Democratic side is looking to be a nail-biter. A new poll shows that Clinton and Sanders are tied in Nevada, however that's only one poll. The Nevada caucuses are CLOSED, which means only registered Democrats can vote, and no switching registration/ independents.

...Reparations for African Americans? Why should this even be a thing again? Yes, there was institutionalized racism up until the early 60s in the US, but taking into account that it's been over for around 50-55 years by now, the last few people that lived a signifcant amount of their lives under that period do not constitute a major percentage of their population anymore. (And in which case I still consider a monetary compensation of any kind something that looks rather distasteful)

The honorable Mr. Coates explains it much better than me, but in effect many black families are still suffering from the effects of racism, particularly in the South. I will say he jumps the shark by comparing reparations to reparations from West Germany to Israel, because the cases are different for a variety of reasons, but it remains a good article:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/06/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

The honorable Mr. Coates explains it much better than me, but in effect many black families are still suffering from the effects of racism, particularly in the South. I will say he jumps the shark by comparing reparations to reparations from West Germany to Israel, because the cases are different for a variety of reasons, but it remains a good article:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/06/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

So, unless I get it wrong, it's mostly loans and housing value/costs that remain, and that the companies involved in this have already been trialed and penalized for it? (And this is part of companies getting away with too much shit and only getting a slap on the hand) Of course, it is arguable that because of the inherent value of having a house the effects can trascend a multitude of generations, black people would still be disadvantages.

However, I still find the concept of monetary reparation something that shouldn't be done; rather, programs that would encourage black people to move up in the wealth ladder or something to that account. (And something to counter the rather unpleasant effects of the cultural current that encourages low class black people to gain 'street cred' and overall be disrespectful towards authority.)

EDIT: Also, @CyborgZeta- Trump might be quite likely to speak about this considering that he's been against jobs being relocated to other countries.

Edited by tuvarkz

So, unless I get it wrong, it's mostly loans and housing value/costs that remain, and that the companies involved in this have already been trialed and penalized for it? (And this is part of companies getting away with too much shit and only getting a slap on the hand) Of course, it is arguable that because of the inherent value of having a house the effects can trascend a multitude of generations, black people would still be disadvantages.

However, I still find the concept of monetary reparation something that shouldn't be done; rather, programs that would encourage black people to move up in the wealth ladder or something to that account. (And something to counter the rather unpleasant effects of the cultural current that encourages low class black people to gain 'street cred' and overall be disrespectful towards authority.)

EDIT: Also, @CyborgZeta- Trump might be quite likely to speak about this considering that he's been against jobs being relocated to other countries.

Yeah, you know what would help Black people move up in the wealth ladder? Them getting the money that they should have gotten if not for racism. It wouldn't cost the taxpayer anything; the companies with the racist policies would foot the bill. I don't disagree about street cred (I'm a monarchist, I love being respectful towards authority) but I will say that that is already being done, at least in the inner city communities where it is most prominent.

Yeah, you know what would help Black people move up in the wealth ladder? Them getting the money that they should have gotten if not for racism. It wouldn't cost the taxpayer anything; the companies with the racist policies would foot the bill. I don't disagree about street cred (I'm a monarchist, I love being respectful towards authority) but I will say that that is already being done, at least in the inner city communities where it is most prominent.

My issue with this is that actually fair reparations would be a very nuanced situation, with among the various issues I see in it (Not taking into account money inflation calculation and the amount of judicial trials that would need to be held):

1) Would the reparations be a flat value (or a series of flat values) per person that has been treated unfairly due to racism, or would each case be reviewed individually?

2) Would, for example, a promotion or pay increase not granted be penalized at said bonus's flat value, or would something accounting for the lack of morale resulting in a downwards spiral of lack of motivation into further potential pay increases not happening?

3) What would happen to people whose companies they worked for have bankrupted, closed, or otherwise unable to restitute the money?

4) What would be done to disencourage people who were fired/not given pay increases/not promoted due to general incompetence at their job from claiming it was done due to racism instead?

EDIT: and 5) Taking into account all previous points, wouldn't the fact that trials would need to be held (and probably black people potentially needing lawyers paid by the state) actually make this cost the taxpayer money? EDIT2 ((Unless you mean the company would also have to foot the trial's costs in case of being found guilty, but what about the cases in which companies are found to be innocent?))

Edited by tuvarkz

BREAKING: Chief Justice Antonin Scalia has died at the age of 79. How will this affect the race?

Dunno, but things are going to get serious in the months ahead.

Not only does this affect cases SCOTUS was going to decide on, but Obama might try and get a new judge appointed before his term ends. Congress will, naturally, obstruct him as much as they can.

Opinions on that will vary depending on your political leanings.

repubs showing unwillingness to work with democrats may not bode well for a lot of people frustrated with deadlock, and i guarantee you obama will use this to his advantage to make repubs look as bad as possible

BREAKING: Chief Justice Antonin Scalia has died at the age of 79. How will this affect the race?

:(:

I think it'll depend on who Obama puts in as a successor, and how much both sides protest to his choice.

Pretty sure we're looking at filibusters regardless of who he chooses, actually. This is not an opportunity the Republicans are going to pass up; but they may still lose the election anyway.

Hopefully, if the Republicans obstruct this all the way to the election, the Democrats can blast them for holding up an important Constitutional duty over petty politics. That might not only give a Democrat the White House but might cause close Senate races to tip in the Democrats' favor as well.

I read on FiveThirtyEight that Obama cannot appoint a justice as liberal as Kagan or Sotomayor to the Supreme Court. Apparently, he will have to nominate a moderate/centrist.

The thing I hate most about politics is that it seems to play into EVERYTHING. Movies, books, games, excedera. Even Fire Emblem. It's difficult to find a work of art that doesn't have any sort of political leaning.

Edited by kirby9612

It's doubtful that the Republicans could obstruct an appointment all the way to the election, but they're in a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" situation.

Unfortunately, the modern SCOTUS is strongly divided ideologically (just like the US as a whole), so whoever gets the majority essentially gets to dictate social policy in the country.

If the Republicans give in too soon, they'll get criticized as RINOs, and people like Trump (or Cruz) could get even more support. If they obstruct too long, the Democrats could use that as ammunition in a general election.

I hope Sanders and Clinton don't cannibalize each other too much. I see Trump winning the Republican nomination, but as such, both of them need to work together to beat him. It's sort of similar to how Woodrow Wilson became president; his two opponents split their party.

I read on FiveThirtyEight that Obama cannot appoint a justice as liberal as Kagan or Sotomayor to the Supreme Court. Apparently, he will have to nominate a moderate/centrist.

The thing I hate most about politics is that it seems to play into EVERYTHING. Movies, books, games, excedera. Even Fire Emblem. It's difficult to find a work of art that doesn't have any sort of political leaning.

Fire Emblem doesn't have any strong political leanings unless you really hate same-sex marriage.