General US Politics

Ansem

It's doubtful that the Republicans could obstruct an appointment all the way to the election, but they're in a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" situation.

Unfortunately, the modern SCOTUS is strongly divided ideologically (just like the US as a whole), so whoever gets the majority essentially gets to dictate social policy in the country.

If the Republicans give in too soon, they'll get criticized as RINOs, and people like Trump (or Cruz) could get even more support. If they obstruct too long, the Democrats could use that as ammunition in a general election.

There's also the fact that if SCOTUS makes a 4-4 ruling, they appeal to the lower court, which right now is firmly blue, so Republicans don't gain much from drawing this out, unless they win the election (though even then I kind of wonder if someone like Trump would even appoint a socially conservative, though I digress...).

Anyway, seeing Trump trash the Bush legacy again was really weird and chilling. If Clinton is the nominee, he's going to fucking hammer her for this kind of thing. Throw in the donors and the email issue, and this is a terrifying time to be American right now.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's also the fact that if SCOTUS makes a 4-4 ruling, they appeal to the lower court, which right now is firmly blue, so Republicans don't gain much from drawing this out, unless they win the election (though even then I kind of wonder if someone like Trump would even appoint a socially conservative, though I digress...).

Anyway, seeing Trump trash the Bush legacy again was really weird and chilling. If Clinton is the nominee, he's going to fucking hammer her for this kind of thing. Throw in the donors and the email issue, and this is a terrifying time to be American right now.

I don't think Trump has much ammo with regards to the Clinton administration. It's hard to criticize a period of high economic growth and it's been a while ago by now regardless. He's probably more likely to go after things like Benghazi and emails...maybe some womanizing remarks about Bill.

He already remarked about paying her to attend his daughter's wedding or whatever...which is basically just scratching the surface if we have a self-funded populist versus Wall Street's favorite person.

Edited by Radiant head

I don't think Trump has much ammo with regards to the Clinton administration. It's hard to criticize a period of high economic growth and it's been a while ago by now regardless. He's probably more likely to go after things like Benghazi and emails...maybe some womanizing remarks about Bill.

I wouldn't be so certain. Remember, Trump is a very skilled and experienced business man. If there was a flaw in Clinton's economic plan he'll probably find it. The better question is if he feels it's worth it to pursue such a venture. I doubt he will unless the flaw ends up being huge.

Pope Francis questions Trumps Christianity

in the end it probably won't affect anything but I can't help but find this really funny for some reason

edit: wait i remember why I found this funny

"[The pope] said negative things about me. Because the Mexican government convinced him that Trump is not a good guy," he said.

fucking comedy gold

Edited by Havel The Goddamn Rock

Pope Francis questions Trumps Christianity

in the end it probably won't affect anything but I can't help but find this really funny for some reason

edit: wait i remember why I found this funny

"[The pope] said negative things about me. Because the Mexican government convinced him that Trump is not a good guy," he said.

fucking comedy gold

Mexico is Catholic, to be fair.

This is the same pope that has casually rewritten swaths of long standing Catholic doctrine in a vain attempt at making his religion relevant to the secular west. I'm more inclined to question Francis' Christianity than Trump's!

This is the same pope that has casually rewritten swaths of long standing Catholic doctrine in a vain attempt at making his religion relevant to the secular west. I'm more inclined to question Francis' Christianity than Trump's!

This, as someone raised by a traditional Catholic mother in a majority Catholic country, I am certain the Pope is most certainly a heretic to the Catholic church.

Edited by tuvarkz

Oh my god, can we please not get caught up in theological arguments here? Speaking as an agnostic, I think he's a good guy and that's about it. The Vatican hasn't been relevant since 1870 (long story, that one, that is even more irrelevant) and I'd like it to stay that way. Also, this isn't just motivated by my Prussophilia and that Prussia was Protestant.

Oh my god, can we please not get caught up in theological arguments here? Speaking as an agnostic, I think he's a good guy and that's about it. The Vatican hasn't been relevant since 1870 (long story, that one, that is even more irrelevant) and I'd like it to stay that way. Also, this isn't just motivated by my Prussophilia and that Prussia was Protestant.

Well, technically since there is only a theological argument for the Pope having any effective authority over people. (And I'm an Atheist for the record, which doesn't make my upbringing any less valid) The pope, however, needs to stop flip-flopping between adhering to Catholic canon (This judging being a borderline case of such, or condemning the actions of the attack on Charlie Hebdo), but at the same time going against canon (Such as the approval of homosexuality and again, related to Charlie Hebdo: “If [a close friend] says a swear word against my mother, he’s going to get a punch in the nose,” -where did turning the other cheek go to?)

I was raised Catholic (I'm not religious anymore), but Pope Frances seems in line with almost everything I was taught as a Catholic. I don't get where the "the pope doesn't act Catholicly" comments are coming from, because most Catholics from my country have beliefs similar to the Pope's. If the Catholic church thought Francis was an heretic they wouldn't, you know, have elected him as their leader.

Not that Trump's religion should matter anyway. He is campaigning on many terrible policies and his religion has nothing to do with it. He's got many problems, but not being religious isn't one.

Edited by Nobody

not being religious is a huge problem in american politics, which is why trump is trying so hard to come off as christian

And let's be frank here, a bigger problem for Republicans. I haven't heard a peep about the religion of the Democratic candidates, even though one is Jewish/possibly agnostic.

Trump's view on the economy has been incredibly simplistic, only blaming the outsourcing of jobs to asia/mexico which is only a fraction of the whole economic picture, and he only understands economic problems on a really simplistic level.

He probably wouldn't know where to start when it comes to criticism of economic plans.

He keeps his message simple at his rallies, but he goes further into detail on his campaign site.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/us-china-trade-reform

Trade reform sounds a heck of a lot better to me than what Hillary talks about. Even Bernie believes it's important to reform trade and bring jobs back.

He keeps his message simple at his rallies, but he goes further into detail on his campaign site.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/us-china-trade-reform

Trade reform sounds a heck of a lot better to me than what Hillary talks about. Even Bernie believes it's important to reform trade and bring jobs back.

not much more detail lol. it's almost completely fluff.

I was raised Catholic (I'm not religious anymore), but Pope Frances seems in line with almost everything I was taught as a Catholic. I don't get where the "the pope doesn't act Catholicly" comments are coming from, because most Catholics from my country have beliefs similar to the Pope's.

it's because this pope doesn't live in the year 1440

Yes, but there's more that goes into making a strong economy besides just trade, like encouraging small business, increasing wages, etc, and he doesn't acknowledge that nearly as much as he does the trade reform.

Sure, he keeps his message simple and focuses on his core positions at rallies. I'm only pointing out that you can find out more details on some of his economic ideas, such as his tax proposals, on his campaign site like the other candidates.

I think Bernie has probably gone the most in depth on his economic proposals than any other candidate; primarily because he's campaigning largely on his domestic policy ideas.

While most of what Trump says is nonsense, his rhetoric gets the job done. He strikes a chord in a certain sect of white working class people whose lives have been ruined by outsourcing jobs, etc. by pointing out that our trade deals are terrible. Of course Bernie is way more on point by saying it's because it's because of the influence of corporate/interest groups who want to ship jobs overseas, while Trump just goes on about losers and winners, but either way by touching on the issue at all, people like what he has to say.

So talking about who has the more sophisticated argument on economics doesn't matter at all. Between Trump and Clinton, only one of them is actually talking about this problem that working class people care about.

inb4 someone invoke's Godwin's law

Once we're in the general election, you'll see more yelling about the particulars. Right now all the candidates seem a bit short-sighted and appealing only to their core base.

"Bernie Sanders should be President! Of Sweden!" -Marco Rubio

Then, suddenly, the clouds parted, and King Gustavus Adolphus descended from the heavens with a massive artillery battery. "Sweden is a monarchy, you limp dicked little bitch!" He yelled, and opened fire. Rubio didn't stand a chance, as he was crushed by Swedish arms.

Okay, that didn't actually happen, but it would be pretty cool if it did. Seriously, though, Rubio can't get the form of government of one of our key allies in the Baltic right. If Putin makes a move on the Baltics, the Swedes are going to be the ones protecting them.