General US Politics

Ansem

Sanders and Trump are more similar than one would think. If you listen to his speeches, in terms of economics he is almost as anti corporate and anti free trade as Sanders is. He is appealing to poor whites in a very real way. Chances are you said you don't want corporations controlling everything, and the Republican candidate that matched most with was Trump.

That's not what happened. Best I can do is "this person loves God, a clean Earth, and letting people live out their lives, in that order".

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll never get how Donald Trump of all people can be viewed as anti-establishment or anti-corporate.

The establishment and corporations are anti-him, meaning that in politics, he opposes them. Also, he is funding his campaign out of pocket, meaning that his votes aren't being bought, which PACs hate. He is preying on poor southern whites, the majority in the GOP.

I'll never get how Donald Trump of all people can be viewed as anti-establishment or anti-corporate.

Because he actually is anti-establishment. He is not a politician and has 0 political experience, and the establishment has been trying (and failing) to take his lead for over half a year now. He is exactly what the party is trying to get away from, they're scared that he's going to solidify to young people the idea that Republicans are crazy and bigoted.

Republicans are usually pro-corporate so that part of it's not an issue. I've heard Trump supporters say him being corporate is the reason they like him, because they want someone who will "run the country like a business" to fix our economic situation.

Edited by Alertcircuit

Trump really is the embodiment of what he and his supporters rail against, it's incredible.

I guess this doesn't really matter for them, as long as he hates minorities it is fine.

For those amongst Trump's supporters that are racist, indeed his perceived racism is a focus point.

(And related, apparently someone attempted an attack on Trump.)

Edited by tuvarkz

Jesus Christ, what a dumbass. I don't know what people who resort to thuggery like this hope to,achieve with their violent actions. Well, okay, I have a pretty good idea, but that goal is dumb.

It's probably going to help Trump out a lot. I mean, he holds a rally that has to get canceled just because his opponents (at least it seems that way for now) are so hateful towards him that they can't even stand him speaking? Seems like a great popularity boost in my eyes.

Trump probably would have lost outright from the get-go if people hadn't paid so much attention to him. Now they are. And it's biting them in the butt.

So in Ohio they just ruled that 17 year-olds that will be 18 by election day can vote in the Ohio primary. Seems like a small thing but it might just be the tipping point to turning Ohio into another Michigan situation for Bernie.

I wonder if these protests will carry on into the general election.

For those amongst Trump's supporters that are racist, indeed his perceived racism is a focus point.

(And related, apparently someone attempted an attack on Trump.)

Oh God! It looks like a cult! I cant believe those people.

Rubio knocked out, and Kasich winning Ohio means he stays for the race and the GOP establishment vote remains divided. Seems like all pieces are falling in place for Trump being the nominee.

The remaining candidates can still donate their delegates to a single candidate and through that, that single candidate can beat Trump in total nominations though, unless I'm misunderstanding the way this system works?

Edited by Irysa

The remaining candidates can still donate their delegates to a single candidate and through that, that single candidate can beat Trump in total nominations though, unless I'm misunderstanding the way this system works?

Sort of. My understanding is that at the convention at the end, if no nominee has a majority, somebody can pitch to the party that they should be the nominee instead, even if they didn't even run for the nomination before. And if Trump doesn't win a majority then I think it's very likely the rest of the party will try consolidating behind someone at the convention. But it's entirely possible that Trump could win a majority, and at that point the Republicans will mostly be stuck with him.

I'm interested to see what they'd do in that scenario. Would they push for Trump because they'd still want the "Republican" to win, push for Hillary as the lesser of two evils, or just talk about how both the nominees are terrible and the world is going to shit. It's probably going to be the first thing, but I think the second would be hilarious.

I'm interested to see what they'd do in that scenario. Would they push for Trump because they'd still want the "Republican" to win, push for Hillary as the lesser of two evils, or just talk about how both the nominees are terrible and the world is going to shit. It's probably going to be the first thing, but I think the second would be hilarious.

The party themselves would almost certainly push for Trump. Some individual Republicans, however, might show some conscience and refuse to endorse him. Whether they would then endorse Hillary, encourage people to vote third party or stay home, or just say they're not endorsing Trump and then stay silent for the rest of the election cycle remains to be seen.

Some of the first scenario, a little of the third, and none of the second.

Should we bring up the elephant in the room? Do you guys think Bernie has a shot left at this point?

so is it just me or are the snl skits just stupidly unfunny now? i guess they never were funny to begin with, it was a sort of "hey i guess that's kind of witty" at first with sarah palin and tina fey. but if they are going to pump a new one out every week its going to get real old real quick.

Some of the first scenario, a little of the third, and none of the second.

Should we bring up the elephant in the room? Do you guys think Bernie has a shot left at this point?

Math seems to be that Bernie needs to start winning with an overwhelming advantage, and the only way I see it happening is for him to completely crush Hillary on a debate to the point of irrecuperability. The thing is, I don't see Bernie completely destroying Clinton the same way Trump has done with Jeb, or Christie with Rubio.