General US Politics

Ansem

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if this is going to cause some kind of significant exodus from the Republican Party, at least for this election year. I know several lifelong Republicans who pretty much hate the whole party right now for not rejecting Trump. This could have some pretty disruptive long-range effects.

In other news, what the hell, Donald Trump might be president.

Edited by TheCosmicDude

I'm not even surprised, just disappointed

Now there's just the matter of Hillary vs Bernie, and as much as I hate to say it, Hillary will most likely win out for the Dem nominee unless they finally indict her ass (which they won't)

Shit, I was seriously hoping that Drumpf and Hillary wouldn't be in the general election, but I guess i had put too much faith in the American populace

orz

You know, a little part of me kind of hoped Trump wouldn't be the nominee because of how many idiotic supporters he seems to have. But I'm still a Trump supporter in the end due to liking a lot of his ideas and all, so I have to be glad he's moving forward.

I just wish some people would support him for the right reasons instead of believing he shares their racist/sexist views. The media always crapped all over Trump and the democrats want people to believe he's a scumbag. Though we can't blame it all on media and democrats, Trump himself also partly caused all this by not wording some of his sentences properly. I wish he'd control his mouth sometimes.

I swear, I think he's an Aspie like me. I see a lot of myself in the way he talks at times. And I've even said to myself "is this what it's like to listen to me? Geez, this doesn't sound appropriate."

I don't think Trump is the perfect candidate, not by a long shot. I just think he has the most good ideas of the people we've had to pick from. As long as he follows through on them and does a good enough job, I might want to support him for a second term.

Edited by Anacybele

Sanders is most likely staying in since he wants to influence the platform of the Democrat party, and he believes he'd have a better chance at doing so if he performs well enough in the primary.

He probably knows his chances of actually winning at this point are pretty slim. If not, he's holding out for news on the looming indictment possibility, or for a meteorite to strike Hillary, which is about as likely as her being indicted. Granted, this election season has been pretty strange, so I could very well be proven wrong.

He's gonna push her as left as he can, drop out, then endorse. He wants to get her as close to his views as possible without sacrificing her chances in the general.

I'm interested to see what the media is up to now. Before, the news was filled with stuff like Trump insulting the other GOP candidates, and those candidate responding. But now Trump's basically won the nomination. Will the focus be more on Trump v. Hillary, or will we see a shift towards the democrat primary until we know for certain who that nominee is?

Hillary seemed to have tweeted some anti-Trump stuff earlier today. Methinks there will be some shots fired between Trump and Hillary as the former continues his rallies with a focus on bringing her down, and the media being the media (And Trump being Trump), the democrat primary itself won't get much attention. Of course, this would lead to hilarious results should Sanders get a clutch win after two months of Trump and Hillary trading blows.

He's gonna push her as left as he can, drop out, then endorse. He wants to get her as close to his views as possible without sacrificing her chances in the general.

I'm interested to see what the media is up to now. Before, the news was filled with stuff like Trump insulting the other GOP candidates, and those candidate responding. But now Trump's basically won the nomination. Will the focus be more on Trump v. Hillary, or will we see a shift towards the democrat primary until we know for certain who that nominee is?

pushing her far left? what sanders says has nothing to do with how clinton will act. sanders is simply not interested in backing clinton.

Trump is only the beginning, let me tell you. He is a manifestation of the loss of faith in politicians experienced by the American people. Something even scarier: as politics becomes the game of the rich more and more, the military becomes the game of the poor more and more. This is, quite frankly, history repeating itself. You think Trump is bad? Wait until the army inevitably becomes a political unit. We are witnessing a repeat of the fall of the Roman Republic.

the 60s wasn't lol? the us is fine. the climate then was far more distrusting, and actually just worse in general, than at all now. we have millions in the united states ready to trust the state again a la bernie sanders.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

while i do think a trump presidency would be disastrous, saying america will fall is a bit much

just like people were certain america would cease after obama was elected

Trump is only the beginning, let me tell you. He is a manifestation of the loss of faith in politicians experienced by the American people. Something even scarier: as politics becomes the game of the rich more and more, the military becomes the game of the poor more and more. This is, quite frankly, history repeating itself. You think Trump is bad? Wait until the army inevitably becomes a political unit. We are witnessing a repeat of the fall of the Roman Republic.

What I find absolutely hilarious is the people who are voting him in because he'll tear down the current status quo, as if what he'll attempt to replace it with is any better. Seriously, after that 'the wall just got 10 feet higher' comment, the thought of a Trump administration attempting diplomacy with Russia or China is scarier than most modern horror movies (not that that's saying much, but still). As much as I despise both of them, at least if Hillary gets elected it seems like it'll only be four more years of gridlock.

pushing her far left? what sanders says has nothing to do with how clinton will act. sanders is simply not interested in backing clinton.

Not while he thinks he's still got a shot. He's definitely in it to win it, but he's expressed often that his goal is to keep the White House out of GOP hands. That's why he's refused to run third party. If he loses the nomination, I think it's safe to say he will be trying to rally support for Clinton. She does poorly with young voters, he's almost idolized among them, maybe he can give her a boost. What Sanders says does affect how Clinton acts. We've seen her change her positions during the race due to criticism that she's not progressive enough, like her stance on minimum wage.

perhaps i don't necessarily agree with your first point, meaning i don't personally think that's going to happen, but the reasoning seems sound; but, in terms of clinton's "progressiveness," that's just a crapshoot. we've seen her change her "position" on like a dozen things over the last decade and a half or so, i honestly say i don't really know what she believes, other than she has the right to power.

what matters most to me is, of the democrats, their ability to demonstrate the need to act in a way that fits their beliefs. i think sanders would simply do a better job convincing people to support his policies more than clinton ever could, despite having more "radical" beliefs. if clinton flops this much for votes on nominations, i don't doubt she'd flop even more to republicans to make her own bills essentially worthless. like the dodd-frank bill, which doesn't do nearly enough (or much of anything tbh) against big banks.

i'd support her when i see a reason to. sanders has been fighting for equality for his entire career. clinton has been riding the wind.

I'm just curious how the 2020 election will turn out haha

Donald Trump Vs. Kanye West

Words cannot express how happy that would make me.

Also: I love when these "experts" get proven wrong at every turn.

P5vcqg.png

Edited by General Ciraxis

too dramatic

i think trump might get the general election since he is not getting PAC money so he is not bound by traditional republican views and can say whatever he wants. he'll also probably steal the independents and bernie supporters away from clinton.

Donald Trump Vs. Kanye West

Words cannot express how happy that would make me.

Also: I love when these "experts" get proven wrong at every turn.

P5vcqg.png

ok this is obviously commenting on delegate count. it didn't account for people dropping out of the race.

the 60s wasn't lol? the us is fine. the climate then was far more distrusting, and actually just worse in general, than at all now. we have millions in the united states ready to trust the state again a la bernie sanders.

Two distinct differences between now and the 60s: the discontent was not nearly as organized, and politics was not yet class based; class is more of an issue than race today. The trust is of the government, but not of politicians, and look at how Sanders is doing.

while i do think a trump presidency would be disastrous, saying america will fall is a bit much

just like people were certain america would cease after obama was elected

You misunderstand; America will go the way of the Roman Republic, not Empire. The military will get more power, and civil wars will break out, but it wont fall yet. That honor is reserved for American democracy.

To be fair, it is a natural progression backed by centuries of history.

Nations rise... and eventually come to a point where they can't rise further and either decline, or fluctuate.

But in the end, after you reach the peak, there's no other route but downhill. And staying in the peak comes the risk of it crumbling underneath you. After all, even a mountain can erode over time...

Personally though, I wouldn't think that America's turn would come, or start with, with Trump being president. But who knows...

Two distinct differences between now and the 60s: the discontent was not nearly as organized, and politics was not yet class based; class is more of an issue than race today. The trust is of the government, but not of politicians, and look at how Sanders is doing.

You misunderstand; America will go the way of the Roman Republic, not Empire. The military will get more power, and civil wars will break out, but it wont fall yet. That honor is reserved for American democracy.

politics has always been class based, in addition to being race-based. sanders is doing fantastic if you consider what he's fighting against. as long as what's happened isn't forgotten, the mark has been left.

how is discontent more "organized" now than before? that doesn't make sense.

also your doomspeak is simply unfounded.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

To be fair, it is a natural progression backed by centuries of history.

Nations rise... and eventually come to a point where they can't rise further and either decline, or fluctuate.

But in the end, after you reach the peak, there's no other route but downhill. And staying in the peak comes the risk of it crumbling underneath you. After all, even a mountain can erode over time...

Personally though, I wouldn't think that America's turn would come, or start with, with Trump being president. But who knows...

I'm not talking about America declining and falling, though; that comes later. Basically what I'm saying is that Trump has opened Pandora's box, and even if he loses he has still created a new movement. Young, patriotic lower class American white males- the primary demographic for Trump supporters- also happen to be more and more the primary demographic of the military. The same thing happened in Ancient Rome, as the power bases of demagogues like Sulla and Marius became the military, and eventually Caesar exploited that.

Edit: Discontent is more organized now because its centering around Trump and Sanders. The Hippies were never a threat because they didn't have a candidate that pandered to them, and Trump and Sanders are both more aggressive than the Hippy movement.

Edited by blah the Prussian

Trump rn: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/KeCCvY8iuGlfEPTjEKS9pPxdZPt6Ik7FPOKSm9fNgsOg_YXienQodm1Y4iVPa8xF3D5Sow

Ironically, if Trump loses badly the general, the GOP can probably recover (after Cruz runs again in 2020 and probably loses). He still might be Goldwater/McGovern. If Trump wins, the GOP (of the Reagan realignment) and all modern polisci theory is dead.

perhaps i don't necessarily agree with your first point, meaning i don't personally think that's going to happen, but the reasoning seems sound; but, in terms of clinton's "progressiveness," that's just a crapshoot. we've seen her change her "position" on like a dozen things over the last decade and a half or so, i honestly say i don't really know what she believes, other than she has the right to power.

what matters most to me is, of the democrats, their ability to demonstrate the need to act in a way that fits their beliefs. i think sanders would simply do a better job convincing people to support his policies more than clinton ever could, despite having more "radical" beliefs. if clinton flops this much for votes on nominations, i don't doubt she'd flop even more to republicans to make her own bills essentially worthless. like the dodd-frank bill, which doesn't do nearly enough (or much of anything tbh) against big banks.

i'd support her when i see a reason to. sanders has been fighting for equality for his entire career. clinton has been riding the wind.

Let us hope this brand of ideological purity has the same success in the midterms as the Tea party.

too dramatic

i think trump might get the general election since he is not getting PAC money so he is not bound by traditional republican views and can say whatever he wants. he'll also probably steal the independents and bernie supporters away from clinton.

About that, to no ones surprise. http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trump-wont-self-fund-general-election-campaign-1462399502

Also Nate got famous as a statistician, but dat espn money I guess (basically he didn't seem to believe the polls/data). Political pundits are basically sports "experts" in their reliability. Tho fwiw Sam Wang said there was like a 60% chance of Trump before the first primaries, based on data (he has 9% Trump in the general based on current polls).

Edited by XeKr