QOTD IV!! 884: Who should be next QOTD master and why, or should it die?

"Picturesque meant - he decided after careful observation of the scenerey that inspired Twoflower to use the word - that the landscape was horribly precipitous. Quaint, when used to describe the occasional village through which they passed, meant fever-ridden and tumbledown.

Twoflower was a tourist, the first ever seen on the discworld. Tourist, Rincewind had decided, mean 'idiot'." -- The Colour of Magic, Terry Pratchett

"All that is gold does not glitter,

Not all those who wander are lost;

The old that is strong does not wither,

Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

-- The Fellowship of the Ring, J. R. R. Tolkien

"Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch!" -- Blade Runner, Scott Ridley

Probably a couple more idr.

"Around the Godde there forms a Shelle of prayers and Ceremonies and Buildings and Priestes and Authority, until at Last the Godde Dies. Ande this maye notte be noticed."

—Old "Charcoal" Abraxas, Small Gods

There are longer passages from Neal Stephenson novels (Snow Crash and Anathem), but this is the best bite-sized one, off the top of my head.

Edit: Since I'm told that passage doesn't make sense out of context, the point being made is that it's easy to slip from worshipping a deity to simply venerating the trappings of religion. This applies to anything, not just religion.

e2: god this looks like a preachy effortpost I give up

This reminds me of a certain discussion we had...

Edited by Nightmare

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man there's too many out there.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost in time, like tears...in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty. Blade Runner

"It's too bad she won't live. But then again, who does?" Gaff. Blade Runner

“You have given them an ideal to aspire to, embodied their highest aspirations.
They will race, and stumble, and fall and crawl....and curse....and finally....
They will join you in the sun, Kal-El.
They will stumble, they will fall.
But in time, they will join you in the sun.
In time you will help them accomplish wonders.” All Star Superman

your soul is about as complete as Serenes Emblem.

what's wrong with clothes and gift cards (especially for at least one person thrilled by clothes)

"Make way for the bad guy. There's a bad guy comin' through! Better get outta his way!"

-Tony Montana, Scarface

Edited by Reinfleche

"Oh, hell, don't bother,” said Bunny stridently. "If you don't have to decline it and it doesn't need a preposition it sounds good to me.” - The Secret History, Donna Tartt (which is a fucking wet dream for any classics student on the cusp of their edgy phase like seriously read it it's my favorite book and i left it in colorado last week and now i'm really upset)

what's wrong with clothes and gift cards (especially for at least one person thrilled by clothes)

ok clothes are fine but GIFT CARDSSsSSSsSsSSS YOU MonSTErRRR

For someone who is known for remembering quotes, I'm not good at thinking about favourites.

‘Where would we go, then, Skintick? We don’t even know where we are. What realm is this? What world lies beyond this forest? Cousin, we have nowhere else to go.’

‘Nowhere, and anywhere. In the circumstances, Nimander, the former leads to the latter, like reaching a door everyone believes barred, locked tight, and lo, it opens wide at the touch. Nowhere and anywhere are states of mind. See this forest around us? Is it a barrier, or ten thousand paths leading into mystery and wonder? Whichever you decide, the forest itself remains unchanged.’

— Toll the Hounds, Steven Erikson

Edited by Makaze

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."-Mewtwo

Not just because it's Mewtwo, but because it's a pretty powerful quote

I used to back when I was in high school. Some of my more notable projects include an adapter that allowed me to connect a SNES adapter to my PC, a simple robot with an infrared sensor, and a portable NES.

I 300% prefer software over hardware considering it's my job

But I'd say I know more about hardware than your average layman and isn't entirely useless given enough google time and the right screwdrivers

I know how to change the hard drive in an older model macbook before they all switched to the new proprietary flash storage stuff, for one (after sufficient googling)

Edited by Thor Odinson

I whine to you about why everything's broken, op. I never really do things myself until I have to like say when my router explodes and there's a break in the internet line and fuck that entire month or however long it took for that to get fixed

more software than hardware, but I can usually manage to fix the things that break

i made my motherboard 'explode' in terms of it sparked out and died when I was fiddling with it before, though

Edited by Tryhard