Some guy on YouTube's opinions of Awakening

Nym

youtube.com/watch?v=XD3jBFufny4 (if the link doesnt work, type ''The Most Powerful Character In Gaming Ever # 16'' on youtube).

Ok so long story short, this guy named ''Whothisgit'' (who some might hear off) is a youtuber who post video content about some aspects of video games (such as poweful boss, best and worst levels, etc). At the end of his recent video, he said that there is more powerful characters in Awakening but he is not concerned because for him, Awakening is a s​pin-off g​ame.

In the comments, he explains his opinion:

1. Lunatic mode is too hard

2. Using only one character (Avatar) is way too easy (he knows about Seth in FE8 but he doesnt seems to like that game either)

3. Worst levels in the series

4. Quote: ''Most of the maps, especially later on, have enemies charge you from all angles, forcing you to power your way through instead of relying on strategy.''

5. No griding (makes the game too easy).

6. Dlc makes him unconfortable

I like this guy and his content and I'm also agree with some of his arguments (3. and 4.) but I'm sure is not that easy that you should call it a ''spin off game''. Right?

Edited by Nym

the title of this is completely irrelevant to the question being asked

but uh I wouldn't call that a spin-off I think he just doesn't like to consider it an entry in the series since he doesn't like the different things it does

which is okay as long as he's not trying to make someone else think that

I was wondering how long that flame war would take to reach here.

I might as well post what I said in the comments section there here to cover all my bases. Awakening has problems, but I still consider it the second best in the series despite these, and the Kaga era had these issues barring the difficulty mode gap as well, but Awakening's haters typically praise those games despite this fact.

I actually really like this guy's content too, but he really should've proofread before making that spinoff statement in the vid.

I'm willing to admit, Awakening has its issues, but I still consider it one of the better games in spite of those. I personally feel some of those arguments could apply to other FE games, too, particularly the Kaga era (3 in particular is dead on for at least two of the Kaga games).

Edited by Levant Colthearts

1. Lunatic mode is too hard

2. Using only one character (Avatar) is way too easy (he knows about Seth in FE8 but he doesnt seems to like that game either)

3. Worst levels in the series

4. Quote: ''Most of the maps, especially later on, have enemies charge you from all angles, forcing you to power your way through instead of relying on strategy.''

5. No griding (makes the game too easy).

6. Dlc makes him unconfortable

With the exception of #6, pretty much every FE game before Awakening has these 'issues'.

1 - FE11 and FE12 have pretty frustrating difficulty options, and FE5 is generally agreed upon to be extremely hard as well. There are quite a few easy games in the series too, though.

2 - Pretty much any (non-Archer) character that joins at the beginning can snowball out of control and solo the game. Seth isn't the only example of this either; Sigurd/Celice, FE7!Marcus, basically every early-joining Cavalier, the majority of FE9's cast, etc. Radiant Dawn is the only game that really avoids this for obvious reasons, but you still get plenty of characters that can essentially solo their parts anyway.

3 - Whatever the worst chapter in Awakening is considered to be, it doesn't compare to chapters like Genesis, Battle Before Dawn, Father and Son, or half of what FE5 offers.

4 - Really the biggest offenders in Awakening here are Ch. 19 and Ch. 23, and at least Ch. 19 gives you forts. The rest of the maps in Awakening aren't much worse than certain late-game maps in other games, such as Cog of Destiny, Clash! from FE9 or basically the entirety of RD's Part 4.

5 - You can grind in every FE game, you don't need skirmishes. People have been grinding with Arenas, bosses and healers since before FE8. FE9 and FE10 even give you free BEXP so you don't even have to grind.

1. Become proficient.

2. Lunatic+ is one of the few times lowmanning is discouraged in the series.

3. On what basis does he make that claim?

4. Perhaps pair-up and other mechanics make it easier to reach that stat threshold, but if it bothers you, simply play a harder difficulty.

5. Grinding is less tedious/risky, but again, you're not forced to grind.

6. Sure, but PvP isn't that big a deal.

Well, I have two problems with Awakening.

I could design a better, creative, more fun map than Chapter 4/11 in 5 minutes.

There's no "Normal" difficulty. There's Very Easy, Easy, Robin, and RNG.

Calling Awakening a spin-off isn't really that big of a deal. People really need to chill and accept that he has his own opinion. He's even being nice about it.

Calling Awakening a spin-off isn't really that big of a deal. People really need to chill and accept that he has his own opinion. He's even being nice about it.

I mean, my problem is that it's, by definition, literally incorrect. Stuff like Wario Land and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon are spin-offs, to give an example.

I mean, my problem is that it's, by definition, literally incorrect. Stuff like Wario Land and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon are spin-offs, to give an example.

Still gives people absolutely no right to insult him or call him the scum of the FE community. If he was saying "Awakening is factually a shitty game and if you like it I hate you", then I'd understand. But he's being extremely nice about it and it's really clear that he knows it's only his opinion.

Still gives people absolutely no right to insult him or call him the scum of the FE community. If he was saying "Awakening is factually a shitty game and if you like it I hate you", then I'd understand. But he's being extremely nice about it and it's really clear that he knows it's only his opinion.

People aren't doing that here though. If they're doing that on youtube, then yeah, that's pretty shitty.

Yeah, he doesn't even have one vote, nobody's scumreading him.

But, if being different to other games in the series makes Awakening a spin-off, then there are more spin-offs than main series games.

There's no "Normal" difficulty. There's Very Easy, Easy, Robin, and RNG.

Seriously, why does everyone call Lunatic+ random? All the skills are set before you even choose your team/weapons/tonics, so you have all the time in the world to react to that. The skills themselves, once set, actually subtract from randomness- each and every one of them will either always activate or never activate, depending on how you approach it- 100% tactics, right there. If it threw in skills like Breakers, Wrath and Miracle, then it would be random, but it doesn't (and that's not a coincidence).

If you play it like Hard/Lunatic, you'll get stomped, because that's not how you properly deal with those skills. But that's Hard/Lunatic's faults for drilling bad strategies into the player.

It's not a spinoff, but what does that have to do with the topic title?

the title of this is completely irrelevant to the question being asked

but uh I wouldn't call that a spin-off I think he just doesn't like to consider it an entry in the series since he doesn't like the different things it does

which is okay as long as he's not trying to make someone else think that

Sorry, I was in a hurry so I made a quick title. (Should I change it? Like ''Awakening, a spin-off game?'')

But what I mean is: Awakening may not be the hardest of all FE games but calling Awakening a spin-off is a little bit out of place.

3. On what basis does he make that claim?

Unfortunately, he doesnt explain at all. After that, this is 4. (his quote) but I think because the objective in all maps is to rout the enemy

Edited by Nym

Lunatic mode is a bit of a ridiculous jump in difficulty from Hard, although in itself it's not really anything worth freaking out over. Putting Maniac mode in there as a middle ground would've helped a lot, I feel.

- 2, 5
Awakening is so easy to break in general that it might as well be called "The Breakening". The Rogues and Redeemers and Challenge packs, as well as Lunatic+ and Apotheosis, are probably the developers' attempts to provide a challenge to min-maxers to make up for the main game's balance being made of wet rice paper.

- 3, 4

The thing about Awakening's map design is that for the most part, each map individually is alright, but the thing is that a disproportionate number of the maps follow the basic structure of "You start on one end, the enemies are concentrated on the other, sweep from your side to theirs killing everything until they're all dead", which makes most of the maps play pretty close to the same, give or take a few obstacles or treasure chests or what have you. Granted, there are some maps in there that aren't that, and those are pretty cool, but the vast majority of the maps play very similarly to each other. I'm not saying that past Fire Emblem games never used that kind of map structure, but I can't think of a single Fire Emblem game other than Awakening and maybe Gaiden that had a map roster that was so utterly consumed by that particular style. There's also the fact that Awakening's chapters employ optional sub-goals- such as villages and treasure chests, recruitable enemies and NPCs, etc.- noticeably more sparingly than other Fire Emblem games, and where they are present, they're usually much less pressing; I recall Awakening has several maps with villages that lack any kind of enemy that goes after them, although to its credit it is pretty good about putting in Thieves to provide incentive for you to hurry to treasure chests. There's also the fact that Awakening quite literally hands you the vast majority of its roster of playable characters, and the few that you do need to recruit from other factions are generally very easy to get.

And all this is on top of the almost-complete lack of any variety in chapter clear conditions.

Awakening's individual maps are each mostly fine taken on their own, but the game repeats the same objective and the same basic playstyle for its maps ad nauseum with very few islands of variety scattered throughout, and for me, it least, it tends to become monotonous well before reaching the end.

Although, admittedly, I haven't played on higher difficulties, so it might be different in those cases.

Don't buy it? It's not remotely necessary to finish the game and it's all just bonus content, anyway.

Edited by Starlight36

awakening is pretty easy tho to be honest.

gotta play on lunatic plus to get any real challenge

>real challenge

>mentions something more akin to going against a Swagplay team, aka the complete antithesis of "real challenge"

I'm not seeing it.

2. Lunatic+ is one of the few times lowmanning is discouraged in the series.

On paper, yes. But in actual practice, not so much, given that trying to get a good sized team going in Lunatic+ would likely turn out to be more trouble than it's worth.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

On paper, yes. But in actual practice, not so much, given that trying to get a good sized team going in Lunatic+ would likely turn out to be more trouble than it's worth.

I dunno, I'm running into the deployment cap on my current Lunatic+/nogrind run and have exp to spare...

In my very first party, the first chapter was like this. Note that I played on Hard mode.

-Most Bandits rushed to attack Robin, most get killed in the process.
-Robin killed everything. Fed some bandits to Chrom, because he's supposed to be the Lord after all.

-I didn't used Frederick, because FE Jeigan logic, and frankly, he wasn't needed.

It pretty much sum up the whole run; Robin just roflstombed everything. If I remember correctly, I gave him a pegasus waifu, Sumia if I remember corectly, to give him more MVT.

I don't really feel that lowman L+ is necessarily discouraged though, since all I really fielded are like, Robin, her 2 kids, and some drop-in pairup partners and functioned just fine. All the early exp went to getting Robin through Hero into Bow Knight asap before promoted units exist.

FE12 L/L+ I feel is the only game I've played so far that REALLY discouraged lowmanning. I heard 14 too, but I don't have my hands on that one yet.