Safe Zones and Political Correctness

Life

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, Snowy, now you're just being a contrarian. Agree or disagree with the message, it is obvious what the right sort of person is, it is obvious that the black family didn't get a mortgage because they are black, it is implied that the black guy applied for the job at the same time as Bobs dad, it doesn't matter how much drugs Bob's dad did, and I think you know all of this, Snowy. Seriously, it's kind of annoying.

I know what it's TRYING to say. The problem is that it's so poorly worded and designed that it could be referring to anything from racism to people with excess back hair. It's only the final panel that outright solidifies it AS racism that they're talking about. Even then it goes off on the massive assumption that all these examples ARE about racism. For example the mortgage one. It's entirely possible that Bob's family was financially stable and capable while the black family had little money and wasn't very stable or possibly applying for a mortgage that they simply don't deal in. That wouldn't be racist.

I get what it's trying to say. It's just so poorly worded and presumptuous that it's worthless as an argument.

I know what it's TRYING to say. The problem is that it's so poorly worded and designed that it could be referring to anything from racism to people with excess back hair. It's only the final panel that outright solidifies it AS racism that they're talking about. Even then it goes off on the massive assumption that all these examples ARE about racism. For example the mortgage one. It's entirely possible that Bob's family was financially stable and capable while the black family had little money and wasn't very stable or possibly applying for a mortgage that they simply don't deal in. That wouldn't be racist.

I get what it's trying to say. It's just so poorly worded and presumptuous that it's worthless as an argument.

stop being purposefully obtuse. seriously. the characters in the comic have no fucking backstory, because it's a fucking comic. bob doesn't fucking exist. it's ridiculous that i even have to explain that to you. you understand the point the comic is trying to make, and you understand the reason for it to try and make that point. it is undeniably true that white people have gotten historically preferential treatment over black people (enormous understatement, by the way) in the us. the comic reflects that reality. regardless of whatever stupid shit you said about excess back hair (seriously? what?), the intent is obvious from the first panel.

i wasn't even sure how to respond to this post, honestly.

It's official - any form of media that does not spoonfeed you every single bit of information is garbage, god forbid you be forced to join dots that are right next to each other and spell out very clearly and distinctly 'this is about racism'.

Funny enough I always thought that comic was kind of obnoxiously hamfisted but apparently it wasn't blatant enough lmao

Edited by Parrhesia

What baffles me is that this comic is... well...

The first panel doesn't explain what the 'right' sort of person is. The second doesn't explain why the black family didn't get a mortgage. The third is perfectly reasonable since the position was just filled. The fourth doesn't explain what the 'right' sort of person is. The fifth doesn't actually show or hint at what Bob was actually doing WITH the drugs and how much/whatever, and the last is just... weak. It's implied that this is because of racism but without changing anything but the very last word this could become 'I never benefitted from Pro-muslim policies', 'I never benefitted from being heterosexual', 'I never benefitted from being an equestrian', 'I never benefitted from having a foot long ****', or anything really and it would STILL make as much sense. So... Really... This comic is just nonsense and lacks a point.

you will note that the first panel has a white man saying "we should make it easy for the right kind of people to immigrate" the implication is that we should welcome immigrants like him, the speaker, a white man

the second panel has a black family drawn wearing 'rich' clothing being denied a thing that a white family in front of them is given

the third panel literally has the guy giving him a job saying 'we're giving you the job because you seem like one of us, a white man'

the fourth panel has a white family being given a chance to buy a house they do not have the funds to buy because it's assumed their estates can cover the costs, because they are white and therefore 'the right kind of people' you will note the continuity with 'the right kind of people' from panel 1

the fifth panel has a black child being arrested and a white child being given a warning

the sixth panel is the punchline

the seventh panel is why racism is still real in america

... wow...

Just... wow. This isn't even stupid. This is... Tumblr.

Me: This comic does not present it's point well.

You: OMG! Why are you so stupid? It CLEARLY shows how everything is racist and you're just obtuse.

Me: Not really. It shows a series of events that don't really explain themselves then staples on, at the end, that it's about racism. You could change the last panel to almost anything and it would still work.

You: You are so stupid that you don't get it.

Me: No. I get it. It's just not very good.

Also, I really don't get the seventh panel thing. There is no seventh panel. Unless you're saying that racism isn't a real thing in America anymore I don't get it.

It's not an argument, it's a portrayal of a stance.

So, it's not stupid? I dunno, tumblr is pretty big.

Stereotypical tumblr are people that read what they want from what they see, and just go on a rant about their own viewpoint anyway. This is what you are doing. I can't think of a better way to explain it than Integrity did and you're still taking a nice big dump on it, and the fact that more people are understanding what the comic is saying rather than saying it's poorly worded is on you.

Well, what more do you want it to say? Do you expect the dude to outright say "this white dude is someone i prefer to this black dude because he's white"? Because nobody outright says that in real life.

You: OMG! Why are you so stupid? It CLEARLY shows how everything is racist and you're just obtuse.

Yes, it's clear about its point, and you are being needlessly obtuse here. It's not meant to make a point, it's meant to portray a viewpoint.

Me: Not really. It shows a series of events that don't really explain themselves then staples on, at the end, that it's about racism. You could change the last panel to almost anything and it would still work.

Integrity has explained to you in pretty good detail why it is pretty damn clear. Show, don't tell.

Integ did not say this.

You must hate political cartoons, right?

Also, I really don't get the seventh panel thing. There is no seventh panel. Unless you're saying that racism isn't a real thing in America anymore I don't get it.

You're the 7th panel lmao

Really, do you need to be spoonfed things in order to understand them? I think it's time to revisit an old thread.

Snowy, are you white? Do you believe racism in real in America? Do you even know what it means when we say "racism is real in America"?

Edited by Lord Raven

... wow...

Are you real?

... wow...

did you just have a conversation with (???) in your mind?

This... Is... Tumblr!

Seriously, though, I don't know what else to say. It has been commonly said that good humor is subtle. Good humor is not spelling out every last detail of your joke. You know this. You are intentionally making a big deal out of nothing to try to find something wrong with this comic. The comic is not an essay on why everyone white has probably profited off of racism, it's a fucking comic.

you will note that the first panel has a white man saying "we should make it easy for the right kind of people to immigrate" the implication is that we should welcome immigrants like him, the speaker, a white man

the second panel has a black family drawn wearing 'rich' clothing being denied a thing that a white family in front of them is given

the third panel literally has the guy giving him a job saying 'we're giving you the job because you seem like one of us, a white man'

the fourth panel has a white family being given a chance to buy a house they do not have the funds to buy because it's assumed their estates can cover the costs, because they are white and therefore 'the right kind of people' you will note the continuity with 'the right kind of people' from panel 1

the fifth panel has a black child being arrested and a white child being given a warning

the sixth panel is the punchline

the seventh panel is why racism is still real in america

to add to panel two, i'll note that one noted "undesirable" real estate buyer in a 1943 realtor magazine was an uppity black man “a colored man of means who was giving his children a college education and thought they were entitled to live among whites" and that, on another instance, the first black couple to move into levittown, pa was greeted with a burning cross. know what one of their neighbors said? “probably a nice guy, but every time I look at him I see $2,000 drop off the value of my house.” and when black folks eventually could come to stay in places like chicago's bungalow belt, well, there's a reason we coined the term "white flight"

panel three also lines up with research about how a guy with a black-sounding name is less likely to get a callback for a job interview than a guy with a white sounding one—jamal is at a disadvantage to johnny, basically—or how a white felon is still twice as likely to get a callback or a hire as a black guy with a clean slate and similar qualifications

Every single man, woman and alternatively gendered human being has grown up under a unique set of circumstances, and reducing someone to their demographic information, especially when used as a means of dismissing them or invalidating their experiences, is the tactic of a bully. Evidently there are a lot of bullies on our college campuses, and the best way to deal with them is a time honored solution that almost always works on playground thugs: Ignore them, and once these people graduate they will be forced to enter the real world (or otherwise seek employment in academia) and will have no choice but to accept that alternative opinions and worldviews exist on this wonderful planet of ours.

lol at equating snowy to seventh panel. that was beautiful.

also im not sure how popular an opinion is, but i think forcing political correctness is a form of censorship. of course people in places of power should exercise common sense, but i think forcing political correctness sorta sweeps history under the rug.

... wow...

when everybody except you sees the link between these six panels the fault might lay with you my friend

also requoting for emphasis

... wow...

the last defense of an actual bigot in my experience with banning multiple literal racists from this site is these very words: "what is this, tumblr?"

think about that, friendo

lol at equating snowy to seventh panel. that was beautiful.

also im not sure how popular an opinion is, but i think forcing political correctness is a form of censorship. of course people in places of power should exercise common sense, but i think forcing political correctness sorta sweeps history under the rug.

Well, of course it is. Censorship isn't always bad though. It is a fact of modern society that freedom of speech needs to have some form of limit.

... wow...

for the record, and because raven brought it up, posts like this are exactly why you're toxic to discussions. you essentially put your hands over your ears and create an image in your mind of what you see as the general essence of whoever's arguing against you, which you also lump in with everything you don't agree with. you don't argue against people and the points they bring up, you argue against the intangible feminist SJW golem who literally hates you and only ever talks in simple, irrelevant one-liners. you literally just typed out a conversation you had in your head with the golem.

eventually you have a small breakdown and renounce everyone in the thread as a bully and possibly blow up and say something like "Ok, whatever. I'm literally the worst person ever for these things. I'm going to stop posting now seeing as everyone hates me for being white, male, christian, and anti-SJW." it's a predictable pattern, and i'm posting this even as i know you're bound to do it. if you have any shred of self-respect, please try to understand what people are saying to you, and not what you lie to yourself into believing they are saying to you. at least before you blow up.

i'm gonna make this a one-off post because it has absolutely nothing to do with the thread at hand and was actually brought up multiple times in the thread raven linked, but i just felt like laying it out. i don't want this to get out of hand, so feel free to respond, but don't expect a reply from me.

Edited by fuccboi

Well, of course it is. Censorship isn't always bad though. It is a fact of modern society that freedom of speech needs to have some form of limit.

Slander, libel, obscenity, inciting violence, and a handful of other things that have absolutely nothing to do with the expression of an opinion and how it might hurt someone's feelings. Censorship of that nature is a breach on one of our most fundamental rights, and has no place in a free society.

I think the point of the comic is that in the real world, overt racism is relatively rare in the modern US- covert racism is the more common form and often it can be 'explained' by other possibilities. It would lose a lot of its purpose if every situation was overt, unambiguous racism. That was the point I think you may have missed Snowy, even if you think you understood it.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Yes, how dare people ask for a safe haven away from all the bullying and discrimination they may face throughout their lives. [/sarcasm]

Look, the way I see it, there's enough bad stuff in the world as it is. What's wrong with a place folks can feel safe in?

because the world is not a liberal arts college campus?

but how do you limit language?

I don't really know the artist's intentions but to me it looks like the artist intended to make the comic a bit on the vague side and for you to connect the dots on your own. I think it's incredibly pointless to criticize and nitpick the comic, Snowy. I think what matters is that what the comic obviously intends to cover is what still happens in real life