How about we talk about the Wii U's positives?

Anacybele

Seriously, I'm tired of the Wii U bashing. I've seen it one too many times on this board and elsewhere, with the latest being a thread on this page. And I'm a big fan of the Wii U and think it had more potential. I believe what hurt it was poor marketing, mostly. As Iwata once said, if your audience is confused by your product/marketing, you're doing something wrong. But it's still my favorite console so far.

So, favorite Wii U games, what features did you like on it, etc...

Here are my favorites on the console.

1. Yoshi's Woolly World. I LOVE this game to death, even more than SMW2: Yoshi's Island and I'm surprised it bombed in Japan. I thought they liked cartoony games like this. Oh well... I love the art style, the gameplay is top notch just like that of Yoshi's Island, and it's not too hard, not too easy.

2. Super Smash Bros. Wii U. Definitely a big improvement over Brawl which I thought was a big improvement over Melee. And it's got RD Ike. Nuff said.

3. Super Mario Maker. I can make my own Mario levels? And use Amiibo costumes, including Ike and Luigi? YES. I like that there will be an update to add check points.

4. Hyrule Warriors. My first time playing a game of this style, and I had a LOT of fun with it. I haven't touched it in awhile, but I really should play it again. I left so many unlockables locked and missions undone.

5. New Super Luigi U. Luigi fangirl here and this is a 2D Mario title I could actually get to the last level of (though I still couldn't beat it). I found it easier than New Super Mario Bros. U, even though it was supposed to be harder, oddly enough.

6. Super Mario 3D World. Super fun, plus playable Rosalina! I just wish Daisy had joined the cast too. She gets shafted way too much... Not crazy about the cat suit either, but that's because I don't like cats. Otherwise, excellent game.

7. Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker. I love that this got made, as I liked the Captain Toad side-levels in 3D World, even if they did get kinda frustrating. I also like that Toadette is playable in it! She's cute. AND, it can connect with 3D World to unlock more content!

8. Mario Kart 8. Super fun racing game, I like that we can kinda sorta customize our rides. We can pick different wheels and gliders.

9. Art Academy. I really wanted Mario Paint U, but this and Super Mario Maker pretty much negated the need for it. I'm satisfied here. ^^ Though I haven't used it in awhile, and I probably should again for some holiday pics.

I believe I'll be adding Zelda Wii U to this list too, and maybe even Zelda: Twilight Princess HD and Pokken Tournament.

My favorite feature is Miiverse, I like that we can go online and make posts and drawings and share screenshots for people around the world to see. Sure, some of the Miiverse users are idiots or rude, but you're going to find that on any online communication board.

I also like that you can connect your Wii U to your cable box/TV provider so you can use it to tune into the channels. I just wish our cable was actually compatible with it. I blame Time Warner for this though, not Nintendo, because they don't seem to be compatible with ANYTHING that can connect to a cable box.

Oh, and lastly, Amiibo! The 3DS can use them too, but the Wii U did it first. Amiibo are awesome, imo.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The entire existance of the WiiU Gamepad has been little more than a convenience for most of the games that it's been involved with.

Zelda games? Inventory & Map

Super Mario 3D World? I guess you can blow enemies over and touch platforms in those 5 stages.

Yoshi's Woolly World? I don't really know.

That being said, it's a nice convenience for some games. While I never look at the Gamepad for YWW or Smash under normal circumstances, it's pretty neat that I can play a game while my kids watch TV or a movie or something.

The game library isn't bad. It's not as innovative as I had hoped it would be, which is why I hesitated for so long just to get the darn console in the first place. Some new games are coming out to push its limits, Star Fox in particular seems to have the most novel idea of letting you pilot your own ship in two methods, by using the Gamepad for precision input and the controls on the Gamepad for general input.

I think that amiibo were a flop. They offer too little, in general, for the games that they're needed for. Aside from Smash, currently very few games little beyond cosmetic changes or microtransaction type bonuses. I think Nintendo's changing this now that the market in both NA and EU have demanded more, and I think we'll be seeing it with future games, I just don't know how yet. In my opinion, one of the best uses for amiibo comes from the Fire Emblem amiibo in Codename STEAM and FE:Fates, which aren't even for the Wii U. I like the potential, I just don't think it's been reached yet.

I think the ambience provided by the home screen and eShop are some of the most mentally comforting things that the system offers. I've fallen asleep to the homescreen more times than I can count, which is in a way, one of my favorite elements the system offers.

Overall I've enjoyed the console, it released my favorite 3D Mario game in years, as well as one of my all time favorite Hack-N-Slashes (Bayonetta 2), its got some really good games now, and getting more. Like Xenoblade X here shortly in the west.

Smash 4 is great, I mean overall the Wii U is great for multiplayer and has some good single player titles. I enjoyed Sonic Lost World enough, and Hyrule Warriors was a blast.

I can't wait for Starfox Zero

Features? I'm just glad we can add friends now.

Edited by Jedi

Splatoon: A big breakout hit, and a colorful shooter that's still entertaining to both casual and competitive crowds. The design in this game is quite appealing, in my opinion, and it's great that Nintendo has recognized it recently as a big franchise to make even greater sequels off of.

Mario Kart 8: Mario Kart gets a nice selection of new stages plus drastically adjusted (for the better) old favorites or notables. The graphics and little details are nothing to sneeze at, either.

Super Mario Maker: I admittedly don't have this game, but it has gotten a lot of love for being a Mario level creator. While there are a few flaws, the amount of content already in the game still does more than satisfy.

Super Smash Bros.: Undoubtedly one of Nintendo's greatests hit franchises, and a wonderful success with all its own content without even including DLC, which features returns of favorites such as Roy (yes, FE Roy) and Lucas, plus shocking newcomers such as SF's Ryu and FF7's Cloud.

Art Academy: Not sure if this qualifies as a game, but as an artist myself, it gives me an opportunity to draw nice stuff for Miiverse outside of handwritten comments when I'm too lazy to use Photoshop. :P

I don't have a big list, but that's mainly because I haven't looked deep into other games, not to mention Xenoblade Chronicles X isn't out yet. :P

I think that amiibo were a flop.

...What? How were Amiibo a flop when they sold like crazy? Also, if they did too much in these games, people would start complaining about having to spend extra money for a bunch of features for a game.

Also, this is about positives anyway, not negatives, like the thread title said.

I forgot about Mario Kart 8. xP

Edited by Anacybele

I really like the game pad, the Eshop and the release of Mother 1 outside of Japan, Wonderful 101, MarioKart 8 and most of the games that people above have mentioned, Amiibo figures I can put on my shelf and use in games I love of course I'm a fan of that and being able to keep gaming even if my family wants to watch TV. I am also looking forward to playing XenoBlade X this weekend and most of the games I am looking forward to next year are going to be on Wii U.

Let's not forget that the eshop has some fun games. My brother and I have been playing Affordable Space Adventures (haven't finished it yet) which has been really fun, especially with two people playing. That, and there's another game that looks fun coming out soon: Tadpole Treble (from the creater of Brawl in the Family). I'm sure there's other good games, those are just the first two I've thought of for now.

I also like the Wii Fit U which I use almost daily. And of course, I enjoy Smash Bros. 4.

I'm also really excited for Xenoblade Chronicles X (although, I'll have to wait until Christmas to play it), and Zelda Wii U.

Edited by Silver Pegasus

...What? How were Amiibo a flop when they sold like crazy? Also, if they did too much in these games, people would start complaining about having to spend extra money for a bunch of features for a game.

I think they're great! I think the potential is there! I just think that until it's achieved, amiibo are meh in general. One or two instances of unique performance don't define a great accessory. Seat Belts Save Lives. Not so sure about air-conditioned seats.

I love the Wii U! Gosh darn it, I wish it had been received better and sold more. Anyway! The gamepad is very comfortable, I like how natural it feels in my hands. I'm a huge fan of the Virtual Console, I love that it has GBA games and other games like Earthbound that weren't on previous VCs. There are lots of games I love for it, too. Super Smash Bros. Wii U, Wind Waker HD, Mario 3D World, Hyrule Warriors...

The Gamepad and 3DS systems could have been used to make a new Four Sword Zelda game. No cables needed for multiplayer, just grab a friend and a 3DS system and connect wirelessly. The screens on the Gamepad and 3DS systems would function like the GBAs did for Four Swords Adventures. I really wanted this too...

Gamepad is a legitimately excellent idea.

Nintendo just *gasp* failed at executing it to its full potential, either totally ignoring it (Smash, Mario Kart, Wooly World, etc.) or shoehorning it in lamely (Wind Waker, etc). Only game that left me impressed with how the Gamepad works is Splatoon, but as a game I think Splatoon is held back by the Gamepad (couch co-op when!). Haven't played Mario Maker though but I've heard lots of good things about its Gamepad integration so that might change my opinion if I get around to it.

Best game on the console is imo Splatoon by a not even close margin. Smash is good. Wooly World is good. Mario Maker is good. But Splatoon man. You know you've got a hit if the only problem you've got with a game is that you want to play it with more people because it's that good to play on your own. I might be biased though because Splatoon hit my niche (single player gamer who raves on personality).

Also Wii Fit U has more play time on my console than Smash does. Wii Fit, the new sleeper hit man.

I did like Hyrule Warriors Split screen co-op had one person on the game pad while the other used the Tv. The game pad was also useful in Pikmin 3.

Fun fact: my friend who got a WiiU very recently had never realized up until she got it that the WiiU was a whole different console from the Wii. She thought that it was just the GamePad, an accessory to the Wii … or something.

I don't have a WiiU yet but I've played a few games on there. I really liked Splatoon, Smash Bros, Hyrule Warriors, and Super Mario Maker. I enjoyed Splatoon and Hyrule Warriors a lot more than I thought I would, hopefully I can get a WiiU at some point. (If not, I have my friends I guess!)

uhh

if anyone here is disappointed with the Wii u then they totally are missing everything

I mean

Earthbound Beginnings

EarthBound

The revival of Pikmin

Xenoblade X

people who don't like the Wii u? your move

you named four games, two of which are ports from the NES and one that isn't technically even out yet overseas

i hope you're being sarcastic, because that is weak sauce and a poor advertisement for the wii u

also spoilers not everyone likes xenoblade, example: me, i'm not going to say that if you liked it that you're totally missing everything though

Edited by Tryhard

you named four games, two of which are ports from the NES and one that isn't technically even out yet overseas

i hope you're being sarcastic, because that is weak sauce and a poor advertisement for the wii u

also spoilers not everyone likes xenoblade, example: me, i'm not going to say that if you liked it that you're totally missing everything though

Honestly, I think Earthbound games are charming, but the gameplay kills it for me. Pikmin is rather standard, I'd rather play other RTS games instead. And Xenoblade I'm honestly not interested in.

you named four games, two of which are ports from the NES and one that isn't technically even out yet overseasi hope you're being sarcastic, because that is weak sauce and a poor advertisement for the wii ualso spoilers not everyone likes xenoblade, example: me, i'm not going to say that if you liked it that you're totally missing everything though

uhhh

completely serious

those four games were enough, but there's also woolly world, 3d world, Bayonetta, wonderful 101, Mario Kart, and smash

but lol at "two nes games"

one: EarthBound Beginnings is was released for the first time in the US.

two: EarthBound was not on the Wii VC. It's a bit of a big deal (also FYI it's an SNES game)

also three xenoblade is the best game ever and Pikmin is the best rts sorry i like good games

Edited by Freyjadour

Fun fact: my friend who got a WiiU very recently had never realized up until she got it that the WiiU was a whole different console from the Wii. She thought that it was just the GamePad, an accessory to the Wii … or something.

I have a friend who claims that because of the lack of effort put into marketing the wii u, this kind of mistake is not uncommon.

Yeah, Mother and Earthbound are nice to have, but you could emulate them for years through a translation patch in the case of Mother. They were also released in 1989 and 1994 respectively and while good games, are not really going to set the current gaming market alight. Yes, Earthbound's a SNES game. It's nice that you stated other games, but I'm afraid that your original statement 4 games don't really sell a system for most people.

if you're really stating something like 'best game ever' as a fact unironically then i have no time for you. are opinions just lost on you or are you just trolling

you'll notice that I didn't actually insult either Xenoblade or Pikmin, just that I personally didn't find Xenoblade to be great.

edit: sorry peeps, but I do genuinely like the look of Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors and Smash. It's too bad I don't really feel as though it's worth it for me to get a Wii U.

Edited by Tryhard

Amiibo seem to be doing better for some 3DS games than Wii U. (outside Smash) So im with Elie in saying that Amiibo potential is coming, but we arent there yet. I like them for collecting reasons. I finally have an FE figure, ya know?

As for the Wii U itself, you know this is the first time i never owned a Nintendo home console. Yeah, i usually get them around launch or the same year as launch. I still dont have a Wii U. If they werent 300 big ones, id probably have one by now, but alas.... The sadder part is that the library just isnt wowing me. We got some good shit in there like Splatoon (which looks like buckets of fun), Hyrule Warriors, Smush, Mario Maker, Xenoblade X, and Zelda U is coming. But im just..i dunno...not in it, ya know? *sigh* One huge positive is that it seems like a great console for kids. Im trying to get my brother and sister-in-law to get one for my niece next year. She loves Zelda and with the rereleases on it, she'd love it. My niece has already played Wii U at her friend's house, so she knows what its like. (plus she has Amiibos) So i really think if you got kids (or just love those first party titles that much), its a fun time.

uhhh

completely serious

those four games were enough, but there's also woolly world, 3d world, Bayonetta, wonderful 101, Mario Kart, and smash

but lol at "two nes games"

one: EarthBound Beginnings is was released for the first time in the US.
two: EarthBound was not on the Wii VC. It's a bit of a big deal (also FYI it's an SNES game)

also three xenoblade is the best game ever and Pikmin is the best rts sorry i like good games

please stop arguing like a five year old, its embarrassing to watch.