If an insult's not real, then you shouldn't get offended?

Junkhead

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

like for example the ways I can interpret as are:

1. it's not "real" because somebody was "just teasing" and "didn't actually mean it"

2. or it's not "real" because somebody made an insult but either somebody else says "don't be offended it isn't actually true" or you just realize yourself that "they're making this insult about me but it isn't actually right"

3. or it's not "real" because what they said was an attempt at being an insult but wasn't actually an insult?? to some people at least??

so yes please narrow these down for me/us

oh btw I only glanced at tryhard's post so I didn't quite notice that he already covered two of my interpretations

Edited by Freohr Datia

........................... **sigh sigh sigh sigh sigh sigh** :/

Anyways, this makes perfect sense to me and Soul: Try to ignore it, you said you have a hard time doing that but it's not worth reacting to in the end.

............................ sigh sigh sigh sigh sigh stop being a cunt

OP meant that a true insult is an insult that applies to you. It hits the nail on the head. If I called someone a bastard because they were born out of wedlock, they should be insulted where someone who was born inside of wedlock should not. True insults are derogatory terms or phrases that take something true about the subject and use it as to shame them.

Imagine that someone called a black man a nigger, then on another occasion called a half black man a nigger, then on a third occasion called a Caucasian man a nigger. The first two would be significantly more insulted than the third. This is a true insult.

Whether an insult is true or false is relevant but not decisive. Faggot doesn't work the same way because it is easier to prove you are not black than that you are not gay. Even in a society where no prejudice existed, if someone said you were black or gay, it would be harder to kill the rumor that you are gay. That's what makes an effective false insult. Suppose that you are not gay and have nothing against gays but you know there is prejudice against gays where you live. It becomes a matter of personal interest to take insult at the accusation because it is not mere words. It could bring violence or cause you to lose social standing or your job in some cases. It ultimately doesn't matter if the insult is true or false, nor if the thing being said about you is actually a bad thing. What makes it effective, what makes it hurt, is that people might believe it, and if they do, they might show you disrespect because of it.

In that sense, it's natural to take offense when someone says something about you that others have a chance of believing when it can hurt you if they do.

Edited by Makaze

OP meant that a true insult is an insult that applies to you. It hits the nail on the head. If I called someone a bastard because they were born out of wedlock, they should be insulted where someone who was born inside of wedlock should not. True insults are derogatory terms or phrases that take something true about the subject and use it as to shame them.

Imagine that someone called a black man a nigger, then on another occasion called a half black man a nigger, then on a third occasion called a Caucasian man a nigger. The first two would be significantly more insulted than the third. This is a true insult.

Whether an insult is true or false is relevant but not decisive. Faggot doesn't work the same way because it is easier to prove you are not black than that you are not gay. Even in a society where no prejudice existed, if someone said you were black or gay, it would be harder to kill the rumor that you are gay. That's what makes an effective false insult. Suppose that you are not gay and have nothing against gays but you know there is prejudice against gays where you live. It becomes a matter of personal interest to take insult at the accusation because it is not mere words. It could bring violence or cause you to lose social standing or your job in some cases. It ultimately doesn't matter if the insult is true or false, nor if the thing being said about you is actually a bad thing. What makes it effective, what makes it hurt, is that people might believe it, and if they do, they might show you disrespect because of it.

In that sense, it's natural to take offense when someone says something about you that others have a chance of believing when it can hurt you if they do.

okay thank you for clarifying

the way I tend to feel about insults is more like what raven said

i sometimes got insulted by the fact someone would even consider insulting me moreso than the insult itself.

because that's just plain rude of that person :c

i understand

i sometimes got insulted by the fact someone would even consider insulting me moreso than the insult itself.

it makes me pity the fool, more than anything.

holy shit

someone understood

Hey Makaze, you're. . .registered with Serenes Forest. Take THAT! :P:

I have no idea what the point of this thread is, or who Soul is trying to talk to.

It could actually be an insult if you said that about me on another FE board.

Edited by Makaze

holy shit

someone understood

Isn't that a different kind of offense? It's the offense you might feel when someone makes a bad argument. The kind of indignation you feel even if you don't care about the subject. If the offense you feel from a true insult is shame at what you are or what you have done, then isn't offense at a poor insult because it is a poor insult a different kind of shame?

Edited by Makaze

........................... **sigh sigh sigh sigh sigh sigh** :/

Anyways, this makes perfect sense to me and Soul: Try to ignore it, you said you have a hard time doing that but it's not worth reacting to in the end.

this on the other hand is actually grounds for banning