Skinship is out, says kotaku (new info on page 71)

LiquidDefiance

I've been a fan of the series for about twelve or so years, now. Since at least a preview of the game was released in Game Informer. I don't mind some of the additional fluff of a game, such as Skinship or even My Castle. The problem I have is I'd rather not have a localized version have cut content-rather, I'd prefer they EXPAND upon it after finding things to improve upon from initial releases.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's part of why I find this ironic.

There was no shortage of panning when the feature was revealed, but now people are panning the decision to take it out even more. People are strange.

It probably isn't the same people though. The people who panned it won't be the ones who won't it to stay and vice versa.

Uh, even though I'm one of the people who's in favor of skinship being cut, you're making yourself sound like a compete snot. Are you trying to start a fight?

Also, I'm having a REALLY hard time keeping up with this thread or what's even being cut. Has a source independent of kotaku actually confirmed that it's out yet or are we still up in a tizzy over something we don't even know whether to believe yet?

Nup, all other sites reporting on it use Kotaku as their only source. It's both painful and amusing to watch.

Why is everyone so upset about this?

How is it that a franchise that used to boast interesting gameplay mechanics, well-written storylines and characters, is now pandering to weird bestiality/loli etc fetishes? Fire Emblem isn't supposed to be a waifu simulator anyway but this is just way too far and in super bad taste.

Mostly because people don't want a stripped version of the game. People tend to like having options better, even if most of them are less likely to chose one option. Especially if someone else gets the option and you don't.

Nup, all other sites reporting on it use Kotaku as their only source. It's both painful and amusing to watch.

So it's just people getting all up in a tizzy over content that may or may not be cut, all citing a source that no one wants to believe. Great. That's just beautiful.

The funny part is that if skinship really IS cut, people probably will be out of energy to rage because they vented all their rage already.

Uh, even though I'm one of the people who's in favor of skinship being cut, you're making yourself sound like a compete snot. Are you trying to start a fight?

No, but of course I'm sounding like a snot, I just felt like making fun of the people who signed that silly petition. :P

Besides, I've seen others post similar reactions to things on this forum, and they don't get called out for it.

I think the feature is stupid as fuck and yet I can't bring myself to cheer for its exclusion. Even though I don't think that it should have been included in the first place, having different versions of games in different regions is lame as fuck and pretty much shows they have no confidence in the product over a possible controversy. Or they just can't be bothered funding it. I'm not upset about it considering I wasn't going to buy the game anyway but if it is true, which we still don't know, then I would ask you to understand that people might not approve of the feature but not want the game to be "censored" more.

Or you could just smugly laugh or get salty over it. Whichever fits.

That's part of why I find this ironic.

There was no shortage of panning when the feature was revealed, but now people are panning the decision to take it out even more. People are strange.

As above, just because you don't like the feature doesn't mean that you want it to be censored necessarily. Edited by Tryhard

I've been a fan of the series for about twelve or so years, now. Since at least a preview of the game was released in Game Informer. I don't mind some of the additional fluff of a game, such as Skinship or even My Castle. The problem I have is I'd rather not have a localized version have cut content-rather, I'd prefer they EXPAND upon it after finding things to improve upon from initial releases.

Mostly because people don't want a stripped version of the game. People tend to like having options better, even if most of them are less likely to chose one option. Especially if someone else gets the option and you don't.

couldn't agree more.. because we pay full price for it.

It IS pretty funny lol.

And Nocturne is right. So while those who are upset for whatever reason whine and cry, I'll just be sitting over here enjoying my improved version of the game. <3

Censorship is a beautiful thing (most of the time).

So you are totally ok with the entire idea of totally ripping up bodies of work (video games or otherwise) and taking a creator's idea and integrity and flushing it down the toilet, as long as it suits your needs? Really? Please learn to word your posts better, because this sounds like you support the entire institution of censorship as a whole, and that...quite frankly, disgusts me.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to make a difference, even if signing a petition won't actually do anything in the grand scheme of things. It's the thought that counts.

At least people are trying do something about it and that's something that I'm going to respect because the people who are upset have every right to be.

Edited by carefreejules

No, but of course I'm sounding like a snot, I just felt like making fun of the people who signed that silly petition. :P

Besides, I've seen others post similar reactions to things on this forum, and they don't get called out for it.

I'm not around on the forums enough to call out every single person who's acting like a snot, not to mention that if people are being obnoxious or "bad", isn't it better to not stoop to their level and be the better person?

I'm a bit worried about the localization. I'm concerned that the localization is going to miss a lot of nuances in certain characters' personalities that made them so likable (especially Takumi, I'm pretty pessimistic they're going to fuck him up). And while I'm not the type to whine about name changes, I don't like how a few of the Hoshido characters no longer have Japanese-sounding names. For example, Yuugiri. Reina is a lovely name. Too bad I only see the Spanish "reina".

As for skinship itself being localized out or not, well, if it really is cut then I can at least understand it from the localization angle. It may not be weird in Japan or even Asia as a whole. But I think most Americans would find it extremely, extremely awkward. They want to do what they can to reach the "general" audience, and the "general" audience in America probably would be scared off by skinship.

I don't get the mentality of the people who want skinship taken out

what satisfaction do you get out of people missing out on something they were looking forward to

edit: @sunwoo maybe they changed it to refrence Azura's english VA

Edited by Captain Karnage

Now that I think about it, wouldn't the characters have less characterization without it? Like at least 60% of a character’s spoken lines, particularly those dedicated to backstory and characterization (combat grunts shed light on very little) will be cut from this. Even the royals (who do get more voiced lines) don’t say a hell of a lot.

I mean, you really are missing quite a chunk of characterization without it – skinship puts minor characters on the same stage as major ones for once, and there are things like the way Niles or Leo speak in skinship that tell an awful lot about them. There’s even surprisingly significant lore bits like the Nohr retainer ritual hidden in skinship lines.

Also, wouldn't that mean the characters who can only support with Kamui get even less character without skinship?

I dunno, maybe I'm overthinking it.

Edited by December Knight

Also, I'm having a REALLY hard time keeping up with this thread or what's even being cut. Has a source independent of kotaku actually confirmed that it's out yet or are we still up in a tizzy over something we don't even know whether to believe yet?

As far as I know, other news sites have only referenced Kotaku.

In other words, no one has figured it out for themselves if it's true or not.

I'm a bit worried about the localization. I'm concerned that the localization is going to miss a lot of nuances in certain characters' personalities that made them so likable (especially Takumi, I'm pretty pessimistic they're going to fuck him up). And while I'm not the type to whine about name changes, I don't like how a few of the Hoshido characters no longer have Japanese-sounding names. For example, Yuugiri. Reina is a lovely name. Too bad I only see the Spanish "reina".

tbh when I hear reina I think of final fantasy V

which makes me okay with it

Edited by maybe

I'm not around on the forums enough to call out every single person who's acting like a snot, not to mention that if people are being obnoxious or "bad", isn't it better to not stoop to their level and be the better person?

Did I say you specifically? No, I meant that they don't get called out by anyone. So I figured it was okay.

Now that I think about it, wouldn't the characters have less characterization without it? Like at least 60% of a character’s spoken lines, particularly those dedicated to backstory and characterization (combat grunts shed light on very little) will be cut from this. Even the royals (who do get more voiced lines) don’t say a hell of a lot.

You really are missing quite a chunk of characterization without it – skinship puts minor characters on the same stage as major ones for once, and there are things like the way Niles or Leo speak in skinship that tell an awful lot about them. There’s even surprisingly significant lore bits like the Nohr retainer ritual hidden in skinship lines.

Also, wouldn't that mean the characters who can only support with Kamui get even less character without skinship?

I dunno, maybe I'm overthinking it.

The conversations don't need to be deleted, just the face rubbing. I myself hope the conversations are still there.

Edited by Anacybele

what satisfaction do you get out of people missing out on something they were looking forward to

Personally, I don't get any satisfaction out of people's disappointment, but I think it's fair for me to be relieved since I really don't think skinship has any place in the franchise.

Also since Radiant Dawn, characterization hasn't seemed like a priority...besides one-dimensional stock characters defined by a single quirk

Edited by Integrity

I don't get it either and frankly, I think it's really rude.

Imagine something that you were so looking forward to gets taken away from you and everyone around you just laughs/revels at how upset you are - that's not cool at all and it's a really shitty feeling.

Edited by carefreejules

I saw this on GameFAQ's, and while I know that's not really a credible site either, I think the theory here sounds pretty credible.

“Yes, that is the case [that petting isn’t in the English version]. You might have heard somewhat misinterpreted or exaggerated information about the Japanese original game, but even in the Japanese original version, we have not included any features which are considered inappropriate in Japan.”

They were talking about the rumours of touching the characters all over, like playing with boobs or nudity.

I mean, maybe this came up already, who knows. I don't want to go through 28 pages. ^^;;

Edited by Minischew

Isn't Aqua's English VA named "Rena", not "Reina"? Not to mention, if they really wanted to reference her VA, they could've used a Nohrian character instead of a Hoshidan one. Much as I like the name "Reina", it's clashing in my mind because it's doesn't fit culturally. Rhajat, too, but at least India is part of Asia.

@Ana: Unfortunately, most people don't seem care about care about forum conduct as much as I do.

EDIT: Apparently a bit of extra research has shown me that "Reina" can be a Japanese name. Okay, I guess I don't have a problem anymore. Although it'll still take me a while to "unsee" it as Spanish.

Edited by Sunwoo

I don't get it either and frankly, I think it's really rude.

Imagine something that you were so looking forward to gets taken away from you and everyone around you just laughs/revels at how upset you are - that's not cool at all and it's a really shitty feeling.

Uh, just because someone says "I want this taken out" doesn't mean they're making fun of other people who wanted that something in. Sure, I poked fun at the people that signed that petition a little while ago, but I wasn't doing it to them directly and I could've said far worse things. Also, maybe we're afraid that anti-censorship people will make fun of us too. I've always kind of felt like that.

@Ana: Unfortunately, most people don't seem care about care about forum conduct as much as I do.

Yeah, that could be true.

Edited by Anacybele

Isn't Aqua's English VA named "Rena", not "Reina"? Not to mention, if they really wanted to reference her VA, they could've used a Nohrian character instead of a Hoshidan one. Much as I like the name "Reina", it's clashing in my mind because it's doesn't fit culturally. Rhajat, too, but at least India is part of Asia.

Reina is a Japanese name, but since it is ALSO Spanish I understand. Rhajat to me sticks out a bit more to me (as well as Caeldori... *shudder*) because they're more out of place with their father's names and cultural inspiration.

Reina is a Japanese name, but since it is ALSO Spanish I understand. Rhajat to me sticks out a bit more to me (as well as Caeldori... *shudder*) because they're more out of place with their father's names and cultural inspiration.

Yeah, I did some extra research and a talk with Lumi, and apparently it can be Spanish too. I edited my previous post as well. It still sticks out a bit just because I can't unsee the Spanish.

I don't even want to talk about Caeldori ;_;