Do Fire Emblem players have the best memory?

Espinosa

One thing I've noticed is that simply referring to a chapter as "C18" or whatever is considered sufficient in most FE discussions for players to have a really good idea what everyone's talking about.

This is something I haven't been able to relate to, as I have absolutely no clue after playing as many FE games as I've played which chapter is which judging by the number alone. I always remember what the first few chapters (or the last ones) of the game were like and then I'm either no longer that sure or absolutely clueless and need to look up the chapter in question to know what everyone's talking about. There might be some exceptions with notorious or often talked-about chapters (like FE6's chapter 4 or Nohr!chapter 10) but I may still need checking.

There are some maps which I remember by their names instead, like Battle Before Dawn and Genesis - I think most of these come from FF7 for some odd reason.

So can anyone relate to what I'm saying? Am I alone in not remembering which chapter is which?

And I guess since the topic title is sorta misleading, you can talk about the headline here too.

I usually can't remember which chapter numbers go with which maps. I think the reason it seems like everyone knows what C12 is referring to is because anyone who doesn't know it can just look it up and they probably won't explicitly say "I looked up this chapter before joining the discussion." so it just looks like everyone knows what chapter it is.

You're absolutely not alone, I have your same problem in remembering chapters just by their number!

I've played Awakening 7/8 times in six months and the only chapter I do remember is C6 (because I knew nothing about FE and I ended up killing Gaius, so it kinda stuck in my head).

My memory just sucks with numbers

It's a mixed bag for me. I can remember a decent number of chapters from the DSFEs just by the chapter number, but that's because I've replayed them so much. I also do better with the chapter numbers than I do with chapter names.

I can usually remember the chapter based on the chapter number alone (given that I've actually played that particular game of course), although I can only remember the chapters by their number in FE7 on Hector Mode. Eliwood Mode just throws me off completely.

I personally find it harder to remember the chapter's names than their number. The only game in which i remember the name of most chapters is FE7. I'm able to remember the number of all the FE4, FE7 and FE13 chapters, as well as most of FE6, FE8, FE9 and FE11. Either way, it's probably the easiest way to refer to a chapter. Even if you don't know which one it is, you can always google it.

I think this whole thing might happen because of how important maps are in Fire Emblem. Most other SRPGs focus on units' stats, while on most FE games the focus is clearly on map design.

Edited by Nobody

I can remember a few from FE6 by number (specifically, the gaidens, Ch1-9, Ch12-16, and Ch21-25) but not so much with other games, aside from notable ones. Most of the time I remember it as that map where or the name.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

I had a good memory before I had even heard of Fire Emblem, so I very much doubt that having a good memory and playing Fire Emblem have any kind of correlation with each other.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Absolutely not!

There's certain chapters that give people headaches, and those will pop up in discussions (BATTLE BEFORE DAWN I AM LOOKING AT YOU). Unless you're going over the chapters with a fine-tooth comb, or drafting, I don't think it's a matter of having an amazing memory, more than repetition drilling it into the player's head.

I can't do it immediately, but I can usually count up through the maps to eventually have a pretty reliable idea of which map is being talked about.

Like for C18, let's say that's FE7, Eliwood's route

So I know that 11 is when Eliwood's story starts, then 12 is where Hector shows up, 13 is the one where you get Guy, 14 is the one where you fight Eric, 15 is the one where you rejoin with Lyn, 16 is where you storm the castle, 16x is where you search for a ship to the dread isle, 17 is on the pirate ship, and so finally that means C18 is the one where you fight Uhai on the Dread Isle. Let's see if I'm right.

...Yep! That's the one!

I have to remember numbers my real life so remembering chapter numbers is simple for me as long as I have played the game, but I can understand people who don't use numbers as much as I do having problems. Of course I have a pretty good memory to start with so that probably helps some.

I can usually remember the chapter based on the chapter number alone (given that I've actually played that particular game of course), although I can only remember the chapters by their number in FE7 on Hector Mode. Eliwood Mode just throws me off completely.

It irks me why they did that. There really wasn't much point to doing it. It's not like Hector's unique chapters were super plot important. They easily could have just been Gaiden chapters. Instead they go and throw the entire numbering system off order and confuse everyone involved.

Also I'm in the camp of look it up quickly and tell no one. Except in regards to Holy War. It's pretty easy to remember the chapters there since there's only 10 numbered chapters and you spend quite a bit of time in each one. Chapter 17 of Path of Radiance also stands out to me since its essentially four chapters.

I can sometimes remember the chapter when I see both the name and the number, but I wouldn't say FE fans have the best memory. Remembering chapter names and numbers is like memorizing a dungeon in Zelda or a mission in Devil May Cry.

The gamers with possibly the best memory are the ones who can determine Pokémon EVs and nature boosts at a glance.