Unpopular opinions that you have for Fire Emblem

henrymidfields

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See, to me, the only GBA game that has a good story is Sacred Stones. Both Tellius games have good stories and great gameplay to me.

I respect that, tho I think the GBA games all have better stories than Tellius tbh.

Gameplay wise, I prefer the GBA games, but both are really good to me.

I can never understand why anyone would prefer GBA gameplay to Tellius gameplay when Tellius literally takes what GBA games have and expands them. Especially in RD. RD added a second magic trinity, ledge mechanics, a good skill system, etc. I get that PoR's animations are clunky at times, but that's the animations, not the actual gameplay. The only problem I ever had with Tellius gameplay was how slow the enemy phase could be at times in RD. But I think you can skip it. PoR also has a much better support system where you don't have to WAIT FOREVER to unlock a single conversation and you don't have to keep units standing next to each other the whole time.

Stories though, that's really just all down to personal tastes, so there's really nothing to debate about there.

I respect that, tho I think the GBA games all have better stories than Tellius tbh.

And I think only 7, 9, and 4 have good stories and 8 is decent, but that is just me, see how subjective liking a story is.

Also

I can never understand why anyone would prefer GBA gameplay to Tellius gameplay when Tellius literally takes what GBA games have and expands them. Especially in RD. RD added a second magic trinity, ledge mechanics, a good skill system, etc. I get that PoR's animations are clunky at times, but that's the animations, not the actual gameplay. The only problem I ever had with Tellius gameplay was how slow the enemy phase could be at times in RD. But I think you can skip it. PoR also has a much better support system where you don't have to WAIT FOREVER to unlock a single conversation and you don't have to keep units standing next to each other the whole time.

Well here is the second act twist I love both, FE 9 is my second favorite game in the series, but I like the Magic system better in the GBA games, I like seperated seals, I like thiefs better in the GBA games, and I think the Map Design is better in FE 7.

Edited by Locke087

FE3/12 have the worst pegasus knight distribution in the series.

Ambush spawns are not inherently terrible, you're terribly soft for thinking so IS has been doing them poorly since FE11.

Galeforce is a terrible skill for a turn-based strategy game and needs to go. E-rank Rescue isn't much better.

The FE12 fanslation should've done Again -> Encore and Glower -> Illuminati, the current names are tasteless.

My unpopular opinion is that i'm not the biggest fan of the Black Knight. I used to be, but I lost pretty much all respect for the character after Radiant's dawn endgame.

I also think Fe10 has a bit of a bad reputation when it comes to the story. I won't go as far as to call the story of fe10 good, but I think it several interesting idea's behind it and that it pulled most of pretty well. I'm mostly talking about part one and two.

Edited by Sasori

Stories though, that's really just all down to personal tastes, so there's really nothing to debate about there.

The problem is mostly that the balance in the Tellius games is overall worse than the GBA games (With the exception of FE6) and the fact that FE9 and FE10's final maps are far too focused on Enemy Phase gameplay even by the standards of the series. There are also less memorable maps in the Tellius games (2-E, which is supposed to be an enormous climax, can be finished in 2-3 turns with a Hammer).

Small Note: having two magic triangles is just having double the pointlessness.

Edited by OakTree

The problem is mostly that the balance in the Tellius games is overall worse than the GBA games (With the exception of FE6) and the fact that FE9 and FE10's final maps are far too focused on Enemy Phase gameplay even by the standards of the series. There are also less memorable maps in the Tellius games (2-E, which is supposed to be an enormous climax, can be finished in 2-3 turns with a Hammer).

Don't things like finishing maps in 2-3 turns require a lot of skill though? I certainly never knew that was possible for 2-E. And I don't think the magic triangles are pointless.

I at least want magic separated again. I don't like how Awakening made all of it except Dark magic just one weapon type. And Light magic is gone entirely. I want it back too...

Don't things like finishing maps in 2-3 turns require a lot of skill though? I certainly never knew that was possible for 2-E. And I don't think the magic triangles are pointless.

I at least want magic separated again. I don't like how Awakening made all of it except Dark magic just one weapon type. And Light magic is gone entirely. I want it back too...

Not in RD with Haar and a hammer

Technically, Light magic became Final Weapon only in SD, with Aura being the only light spell. Awakening is the same way with the Book of Naga being the only Light spell.

Fates has light magic in a similar vein, but it isn't a final weapon

That's your opinion and I'm fine with it.

But yeah openly admitting you need a guide for the game... doesn't really help.

Regardless, almost every map in this game has something I don't get, that annoys me, something i view as an awful design choice.

Every time I look at this game I just don't understand why half the choices for maps were made in this game, they really, just... aren't well designed at all in my opinion.

That plus me hating the mechanics, and I really can't say this is even a half decent game in my eyes.

Yeah, my comment overall was a bit sarcastic, haha. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I know it isn't the best designed game, but I love the challenge it brings to the table. I love the graphical style, OP staves, OP magic, awesome map design (for SOME, like the defense map where you protect Tahra; others like 24x, where you save Eyvel, can go to hell). It had amazing features, but also equally bad aspects too. I forgot to mention that fatigue was a bit annoying, but I can appreciate that the system was there to prevent map steam-rolling with one powerful unit.

It needs an updated port of sorts where some of the clunky controls, like map deployment, are fixed.

Edited by Leif

No, you just need Haar and a Hammer.

The problem with the Magic Triangle is that all magic classes in the series have similar stats, high Magic and Resistance, low Deffense and etcetera. So there is basically no reason to make magic users fight each other.

The problem with the Magic Triangle is that all magic classes in the series have similar stats, high Magic and Resistance, low Deffense and etcetera. So there is basically no reason to make magic users fight each other.

Then differentiate them more.

Physical classes clearly can be so why not magic?

Yeah basically this. The gameplay mechanics of Tellius, or at least RD, are awesome (with the exception of perhaps Uber Canto) but the actual gameplay itself leaves something to be desired, at least in my opinion.

I do like all those things, in fact to the extent that I might say that I favor RD's mechanics over GBAFE, but at the end of the day, I feel there is something a little bit special about the relative simplicity and straightforwardness of the mechanics in FE6/7. But perhaps that's just nostalgia considering FE7 was my first game.

I think this is the problem more so than the magic triangle. I'd love to see us get some diversity with magic users. My Branching Class Tree has generals, warriors and wyverns who can use magic for that very reason. I'd love to see magic be an option for more classes. Likewise I'd like to see mages with more strength and physical units with more magic.

Edited by Jotari

Then differentiate them more.

Physical classes clearly can be so why not magic?

I agree, but if we're talking about a game where all magic users are basically the same, then the Magic Triangle is pointless.

Edited by OakTree

I think this is the problem more so than the magic triangle. I'd love to see us get some diversity with magic users. My Branching Class Tree has generals, warriors and wyverns who can use magic for that very reason. I'd love to see magic be an option for more classes. Likewise I'd like to see mages with more strength and physical units with more magic.

You advertise that thing so much I'd swear that you were getting paid per post I would love a fire emblem game with that kind of class tree it will never happen though... But the magic triangle needs come back.

Edited by Locke087

You advertise that thing so much I'd swear that you were getting paid per post I would love a fire emblem game with that kind of class tree it will never happen though... But the magic triangle needs come back.

I can't help it if I'm unreasonably and irrationally proud of it!

Yarne is a cutie pie.

Archers are adorable <33

I would totally play any FE remake with skinship <3333333

is archers being adorable that unpopular? i think like 90% of them are. like, I even think dorothy is really cute.

sudden images of gonzales skinship

do not want

I would totally play a remake of the gba FE games with skinship <3333333

I wouldn't play that just to pet Lyn, cross my heart

Sure, differentiated Magic classes would make a Magic triangle worthwhile, but at present, no FE games do that, so the triangle is worthless.

is archers being adorable that unpopular? i think like 90% of them are. like, I even think dorothy is really cute.

sudden images of gonzales skinship

do not want

Come on, who wouldn't want to pet him?

ILCPM5h.png

Anywho, not sure if this also counts as an "unpopular" opinion, but I feel that the Avatar/MU as a concept isn't a bad one. It's the execution that needs working. If we had an MU where we had a say in his/her personality (i.e. Shepard in Mass Effect), then we'd be getting somewhere.

I agree with you on the Avatar thing, Bullwine. We just need better execution and I think it is gradually getting better. Robin seems better than Kris from what I know of Kris, and Corrin seems even better than Robin to me so far.

Calling dips on a 30 mt gradivus.

Also, I loathe console canto, don't know how unpopular that view is but I've mostly seen people like console canto.

Not just you. Mounted units already had a movement lead, so why in the world do they get to reposition after battling to boot?

. . .actually, I kinda like the repairable weapon mechanic in FE4, as long as the gold is in one giant pool and not reliant on Dew the Banker.