Unpopular opinions that you have for Fire Emblem

henrymidfields

I think the Guide Dang It necessity of Thracia is way over blown. With the exception of the last Gaiden's bullshit random warp tiles, there's nothing in the game that you need a guide to deal with. I guess the closest would be the bridge collapse in Reinhart's chapter but that's only damning if A) You've left Leif on the wrong side and B) You have no flyers. And at worse it's just going to make you restart the chapter. Even the most insanely difficult thing in the game, recruiting Xavier and getting the discount card, are fully explained by the game. I can think of several things more guide necessary than anything in Thracia. Off the top of my head there's Stefan's recruitment, the alt chapters in FE7 (really, the level of your lords, how is anyone meant to figure that out? At least in FE6 it made some amount of sense since it meant you were using the units more familiar with the respective area) and the Gaidens in Shadow Dragon (aside from being a stupid idea from a plot and gameplay perspective, actually discovering them without someone telling you relies on you outright sucking at the game). Don't get me wrong, Thracia still throws a lot of shit at you that's hard to deal with but so long as you've managed your resources properly you can contend with any situation.

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What? I haven't played the game yet and I can see it's not similar to Awakening at all. The plot looks better, the Avatar looks better to me, and the characters still seem good for the most part too (well, in Birthright anyway. The Nohr characters look garbage to me). It only has the same art style, that's it. You're really selling the game short.

I'm not getting anything that rides FE13's fanservice coattails. And the presence of an Avatar to begin with is already a downside. Sorry, I just lost faith in IS.

I'm not getting anything that rides FE13's fanservice coattails. And the presence of an Avatar to begin with is already a downside. Sorry, I just lost faith in IS.

I still think you're giving up too easily, but I can't force you to do anything, so...

Also, for the record, some of that fanservice has been removed in the NA version. There's no skinship, though you can wake up your spouse by touching them. And the Soleil support is changed, etc. I get that some character designs are still fanservicy, but that can't really be helped. Treehouse would've had to do a lot more work to make, say, Camilla look less sexual, though I wish they could've done that.

Edited by Anacybele

Well I used to think liking Roy was an unpopular opinion, but it seems I was mistaken! Roy is my third-favorite character in the series.

I really like that New Mystery brought back all the characters from Shadow Dragon/FE 1.

I don't mind the subplot of the assassins in New Mystery (still don't like how they butchered Marth's character and worshipped the Avatar, though).

FE 7/Blazing Sword's story is fantastic.

Brom is the best Knight in the entire series and an awesome character.

Bartre is great. Dozla is great.

Ryoma>Xander (based on everything I've read so far).

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

I still think you're giving up too easily, but I can't force you to do anything, so...

Also, for the record, some of that fanservice has been removed in the NA version. There's no skinship, though you can wake up your spouse by touching them. And the Soleil support is changed, etc. I get that some character designs are still fanservicy, but that can't really be helped. Treehouse would've had to do a lot more work to make, say, Camilla look less sexual, though I wish they could've done that.

uh that would be a bad thing

Camilla's design fits her personality and character. Just because she's got a hefty rack on display doesn't mean that she lacks nuance. Obviously the size is overboard, but I wouldn't change her design for the world. The panty window also isn't a bad thing because she's riding a zombie dragon so logic obviously doesn't apply here. I didn't even notice it until someone pointed it out.

I also think that wanting Avatars gone is hilariously closed minded too though. I vastly prefer Corrin to every Lord but Marth. His personality is so <3 and I adore having a customizable character after Xenoblade X. Maybe people who don't like the avatar should just play X then so they can change their mind.

I judge ugly guy characters and kill them off usually.

Phoenix mode is necessary because of Nohr's general difficulty and how terrible a lot of reviewers are at Fire Emblem.

I view units as resources more often than people.

As much as I claim how much I hate certain Fates units I will probably not kill any of them off besides Azama. The others are safe because they're strong units and cute girls.

I giving people accessories.

I don't want to get into this but I don't care if characters have a "sexualized or sexy" design as long as it's in character.

It's the main thing that confused me with awakening.

Like Olivia, like girl if you're super shy and don't want people to like, look at you or something, why are you dressed in like nothing girl.

I don't get it.

More unpopular opinions I guess.

FE7 is one of the worst FE games, it's mediocre in almost every aspect with nothing really special.

I don't mind avatar characters.

I don't view them as "self inserts" I view them as the main character which you can also customize.

I actually prefer Avatar characters barring Kris to most of the Lord characters, tho that might be because I can make them characters I really like like Solid Snake in Awakening, or Tiki in Fates

That said, Lyn, Roy, and Marth are better MCs than avatars, and the only reason I prefer Corrin to Marth is the salt Corrin's smash reveal brought.

I don't mind the fanservicy designs in Awakening and Fates, as I can handwave by saying it's acceptable in this world's culture.

I don't like the Tellius artstyle.

I don't want to get into this but I don't care if characters have a "sexualized or sexy" design as long as it's in character.

It's the main thing that confused me with awakening.

Like Olivia, like girl if you're super shy and don't want people to like, look at you or something, why are you dressed in like nothing girl.

I don't get it.

More unpopular opinions I guess.

FE7 is one of the worst FE games, it's mediocre in almost every aspect with nothing really special.

I don't mind avatar characters.

I don't view them as "self inserts" I view them as the main character which you can also customize.

Literally all of this plus MCProduction's Tellius artstyle thing

it's nice to see some other people who feel the way I do

also yeah Corrin is amazing I absolutely love their character and their actions

EDIT: I also totally agree about how utterly awful FE7's promotion gains are. You get almost nothing to the point where there's zero reason to promote early. Before, you could choose instant power vs more power in the end, but here you it's more power in the end vs +2 strength and speed now

Edited by Ms. Andrews

I actually agree with this, but I lean more towards it's average in almost everything rather than mediocre. Except the promotion gains, those are terrible and I hate it.

It's my least favorite of the ones I've beaten because it doesn't really do anything extra besides having 3 lords.

I wish they at least got rid of the panty window. The cleavage isn't exactly practical, but the panty window thing was just so... wth to look at.

Still, even if some of it's gone, I'd feel like I'd be supporting what's still there... and that's not the message I want to send to IS. Please IS, just give me a game that plays like uncorrupted FE... something like FE6 - FE10... Then I'll support you again...

I wish they at least got rid of the panty window. The cleavage isn't exactly practical, but the panty window thing was just so... wth to look at.Still, even if some of it's gone, I'd feel like I'd be supporting what's still there... and that's not the message I want to send to IS. Please IS, just give me a game that plays like uncorrupted FE... something like FE6 - FE10... Then I'll support you again...

Uncorrupted? Lol

IS will never go back to making those games so I really don't know what to tell you

I for one couldn't be happier. FE6-8 are the worst in the series and Tellius is really boring compared to 1-5 and 11-14.

I judge ugly guy characters and kill them off usually.

Phoenix mode is necessary because of Nohr's general difficulty and how terrible a lot of reviewers are at Fire Emblem.

I view units as resources more often than people.

As much as I claim how much I hate certain Fates units I will probably not kill any of them off besides Azama. The others are safe because they're strong units and cute girls.

I giving people accessories.

Your avatar made me imagine Marth saying this line in a really bright and happy tone.

Uncorrupted? Lol

IS will never go back to making those games so I really don't know what to tell you

I for one couldn't be happier. FE6-8 are the worst in the series and Tellius is really boring compared to 1-5 and 11-14.

You're free to your opinion. I disagree with it. FE6-8 are my top three favorite games in the series, and I'm free to want games like them again.

Maybe people who don't like the avatar should just play [Xenoblade] X then so they can change their mind.

Before I say this let me state that I actually like Xenoblade X a lot more then the original Xenoblade... With that being said that stupid Avatar was my second greatest annoyance in that game (first being required gathering missions, the objectively worst part of this game... I pretty sure no one likes running around in circles for hours trying to find an item). Though this is entirely to do with the avatars lack of voice acting which constantly pulled me out of the experience, overall I don't think the avatar is very well implemented in to that game, I would have preferred a Shulk. If you want some examples of good avatars try Mass Effect.

Edited by Locke087

Before I say this let me state that I actually like Xenoblade X a lot more then the original Xenoblade... With that being said that stupid Avatar was my second greatest annoyance in that game (first being required gathering missions, the objectively worst part of this game... I pretty sure no one likes running around in circles fors hour trying to find a item). Though this is entirely to do with the avatars lack of voice acting which constantly pulled me out of the experience, overall I don't think the avatar is very well implemented in to that game, I would have preferred a Shulk. If you want some examples of good avatars try Mass Effect.

The avatar did have voice work. They didn't speak in cutscenes but they did speak in battle. I can buy them not being very talkative outside of battle tbh. And as a whole, I actually loved the voice options. Papenbrook and Vee were what my main avatars had as voices. They fit quite well.

Also, @GlaceonMage, feel free to want them but know that it's probably not happening

The avatar did have voice work. They didn't speak in cutscenes but they did speak in battle. I can buy them not being very talkative outside of battle tbh. And as a whole, I actually loved the voice options. Papenbrook and Vee were what my main avatars had as voices. They fit quite well.

Also, @GlaceonMage, feel free to want them but know that it's probably not happening

I will admit that I did enjoy having fiora's voice in battle, but the way the avatar spoke in what amounts to sign language really just broke my immersion, especially when they went out of there way to point it out...

Honestly, im glad to see im not the only one that enjoyed alot of things from FE 13, while I kinda can understand why people dont like it,I just feel that at this point, people are getting angry over it just for the sake of being angry, I dont feel like its somekind of betrayal to the series, I feel like it was, in its own way, a boost to it, and it Saved the series to fall to another series that only hardcore fans would enjoy... but I agree that the story, after Walhart got weird and... somewhat unneeded for me, but still, I cant wait for Fates, and I cant wait to get Revelations... oh and RIP Warrior class....

Also, Fe 12 should be launched worldwide,from the little I played, I enjoyed it

Edited by Skornvorax

-fe8 is the most boring fire emblem game

-Lyn was fe7's biggest mistake

-fe12 flanderized Roger beyond likeability

-Roy is bad

-Dual strike/guard was way too luck based in Awakening. Fe14's approach to it is one of the main reasons I'm buying the game

If I'm being honest, she just made me feel uneasy around her when I first recruited her, but then that stalker gimmick of hers set in, which I both disliked and found creepy.

She definitely brings out good characterization and backstory in her supports, but it rather creeps me out when a character comes out and says in the Barracks that she's going to curse you to make you love her. She obviously never does that, unless she does in the Avatar's S support with her, but I'm not getting that tbh

In which case the writers nailed it perfectly.

Next question: Let's say you find someone you're interested in, but not only is this person way out of your league, you don't know anything about them! What do you do?

EDIT: I hit Post too early.

Still, even if some of it's gone, I'd feel like I'd be supporting what's still there... and that's not the message I want to send to IS. Please IS, just give me a game that plays like uncorrupted FE... something like FE6 - FE10... Then I'll support you again...

Then play FE6-FE10.

The series is changing, and if it's something that you don't like, find something that you DO like! Maybe the upcoming Vestiria Saga will float your boat. Maybe there's an indie game out there that captures the magic of Elibe/Magvel/Tellius. Life's too short to wring your hands over things that make you unhappy!

EXHIBIT A: HOW NOT TO EXPRESS AN OPINION.

If Glaceon misses those games, that's fine. If you don't like those games, that's fine too. But there are much better ways of expressing yourself than coming off like you're happy that Glaceon is unhappy (if this wasn't your intent, then fix your wording until what you mean is what you say).

This isn't an unpopular opinion. :P:

didn't it do that with literally every character though

Nope.

Read the supports carefully - you'll see Cain expressing his regret over the events before FE11 (where he had to run to Marth instead of stand by his king), Frey recounting what the hell happened to him after Prologue 4, and the backstory behind Midia and Astra. . .and that's just the beginning! I believe FE12 came after complaints about the rest of the cast being dry.

Edited by eclipse

Honestly, im glad to see im not the only one that enjoyed alot of things from FE 13, while I kinda can understand why people dont like it,I just feel that at this point, people are getting angry over it just for the sake of being angry, I dont feel like its somekind of betrayal to the series, I feel like it was, in its own way, a boost to it, and it Saved the series to fall to another series that only hardcore fans would enjoy... but I agree that the story, after Walhart got weird and... somewhat unneeded for me, but still, I cant wait for Fates, and I cant wait to get Revelations... oh and RIP Warrior class....

It is the same problem as World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy, and all kind of other games with large fan bases have. A good portion of the fanbase looks at the older games nostalgia and rose colored glasses, and think the new ones are bad. To be honest Fire emblem has never had a great story, its always had good concepts and ideas, but falls short.

It also has always been influenced by anime. Look at the older art style of Fire Emblem, and then compare it to the older art styles of anime. They look similar because its always been based off of it. The new look is because the art style is following the current style of anime. The whole marriage system and children have been implemented again because it works. It is something most people enjoyed in Awakening, so of course you are going to bring it back because you stick with what works.

The combat and gameplay is actually improving massively compared to the previous. The new weapon system is better than the durability system since it adds more strategy to what weapons you are going to use and for what. Comparing that to the gradual increase in weapon strength due to more gold, and the fact that there is no reason to go back and use an iron weapon, Id say this new system is better. My Castle is a lot of fun, and adds more strategy and gives the oppurotunity for a lot of multiplayer interaction. It also really is overdue for something like this an FE, and hope it stays. The avatar system is growing, it isn'y perfect by any means, and it may or may not stay. But give it time, its them experimenting and figuring out what works and what doesn't.

So overall, it's unneeded anger with some understandable annoyances.

Im so glad to see someone who understands what I mean,its sad to see many great fanbases fall down to crappy levels for the Nostalgia blind part of it, people, alot of those series wouldnt survive if it wasnt for the new games, and they improved in many ways, and most of the newer games are my favorites, Cataclysm is my favorite WoW expansion, FAllout new vegas is one of my favorite rpgs of all time and Pokemon Black 2 is my fav Pokemon of all time along with the Gen....

I just hope people will stop, I know that soon enough this topic will be filled with people saying the basic stuff you would see a GEnwhinner would get cry over... but still, one day people might stop, just gotta hope now

Oh and Ballisticians need to shoot Fireballs and Thunder like in FE1.... and maybe rockets too!

Oh. I got another opinion. Manfroy is a good villain. He's intelligent, ambitious, manipulative and crafty. People give him a lot of flack for his motivations but I think the scenes he has with Alvis and the scene in the Yied Shrine show very well that he and the rest of the Lopt Sect have suffered a lot of persecution and propaganda to become the way they are. Not the best villian in Holy War by any measure (because he has a lot of competition there) but better, imo, than the likes of Riev and Negarl.