Unpopular opinions that you have for Fire Emblem

henrymidfields

I think FE 4 is the most overrated game in the series, especially the story and characters of gen 1, and that many (not all) fans give it a pass mainly for two reasons:

1. Wtf you die halfway through the game? That's crazy!!!

2. Eugenics (first and thus best game to do them)

I type this as a fan of many things that are not as good as I think they are, so please don't hate.

overrated is a stupid word but that aside

it's making reeaaaally broad assumptions to assume that people "give it a pass" for those two reasons alone

there are plenty of other things it does that people like, such as the story

Edited by maybe

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've thought of a few ways to allow defence to still scale. One way is characters to gain +def skills as they level (like how class skills work in the newer games), or include shields / a larger variety of weapons that give +def. No specific formulas yet, it would depend on how high strength growths are, and how weapon progression works.

That sounds pretty great.

I think FE 4 is the most overrated game in the series, especially the story and characters of gen 1, and that many (not all) fans give it a pass mainly for two reasons:

1. Wtf you die halfway through the game? That's crazy!!!

2. Eugenics (first and thus best game to do them)

I type this as a fan of many things that are not as good as I think they are, so please don't hate.

That's not even scratching the surface of why we'd like FE4 lol.

Classic Mode is only the "authentic" way to play Fire Emblem when you actually adhere to the permadeath; just resetting over and over again violates the spirit of it all (even if you're a masochistic resetter). In that case, non-masochists are better off playing Casual Mode if you have the option to; they'd save themselves time and emotional turmoil they tried to avoid in the first place.

As an extension to the above, I'd like to note that in an Fe10 interview, the devs voice a similar sentiment; it's part of the reason they made the JP Normal Mode as easy as it is. They wanted the game to be challenging enough, while not being so much so that it'd make people reset so much (of course, those efforts were for naught, but eh).

There should be more ethnic variety in Fire Emblem games; sure, Tainos aren't common in the medieval era in real life, but neither were mythical creatures or always-beautiful nice people.

I think FE8's story is pretty okay.

Classic Mode is only the "authentic" way to play Fire Emblem when you actually adhere to the permadeath; just resetting over and over again violates the spirit of it all (even if you're a masochistic resetter). In that case, non-masochists are better off playing Casual Mode if you have the option to; they'd save themselves time and emotional turmoil they tried to avoid in the first place.

I agree with this.

I like reclassing.

Kris is the best implementation of Avatar, as long as he doesn't steal the spotlight from other characters.

I wanted IS to remake all pre-Awakening game and release them worldwide

I agree with this in principal but in practise, not so much. That's why I'd like an Iron Man mode where the choice is left out of my hands.

I think the 3DS Fire Emblem games have the 2nd best art-style and animations, except for the real dumb armour and weapon designs. (GBA will always be my fave though)

Sacred Stones is the best GBA Fire Emblem.

they'd save themselves time and emotional turmoil they tried to avoid in the first place.

What if the time spent trying to figure out how to beat a map without anyone dying and the emotional turmoil are exactly what they're looking for though?

I like the marriage system.

I like there being child characters.

I liked the overall story of Awakening.

I like having an Avatar character.

Before you start chasing me out of here, I started with Blazing Sword way back when it was released on the GBA.

If there's nothing at stake, how can there be any satisfaction in victory? If you play Casual Mode in order to save time, you might as well watch an LP instead of playing it to save even more time.

If there's nothing at stake, how can there be any satisfaction in victory? If you play Casual Mode in order to save time, you might as well watch an LP instead of playing it to save even more time.

This argument doesn't make sense.

Just because something isn't challenging doesn't mean it can't be fun. In fact, challenge removes fun from a game for me, and I only play classic because older FEs conditioned me to permadeath.

By that logic, why play Animal Crossing or Kirby when there's little consequence? Why do anything that isn't difficult? Different satisfaction comes from different achievements. To me, music, gameplay, artstyle, and a ton of other factors matter more than difficulty. I play games for fun, not to struggle. Casual Mode helps someone who's struggling actually have fun. And isn't that what really matters? I'd rather everyone have fun than alienate those who aren't good. I got into the series thanks to Casual Mode. My friend IRL only plays Normal Casual and still has fun. It's all about perspective to be honest, and I do understand how someone who wants a challenge wouldn't enjoy Casual Mode.

I will say that Phoenix Mode is kinda lol though. It's fine to have an option for someone that bad, but if you can't do Normal Casual then maybe it isn't for that player.

it's true that when I first played fire emblem I did reset when a character died out of a panic that I would need the character later; however by now I just reset because the challenge of keeping everyone alive is a necessary part of the experience for me lol. it's why I never do casual mode.

Fire emblem Awakening's story is not as bad as people say It is. I find the marriage system fun, and it adds more to do in the game, same with children. I find Marth really boring, and don't understand why he is so popular besides nostalgia. Same with Lucina. I hope we never return to anything related to marth. His story and his area is done. Please go back to Tellius or stay in Fates area or something. My Castle is probably one of the best features put into these games, and it needs to be a mainstay of the series now. It fits perfectly in with what Fire Emblem is.

Edited by Tolvir

- I think that supports should be much more like FE10 - universal, and with generic lines. Not because of my own minimalistic tendencies, but because I think the depth of writing is lost on the majority of the fanbase. Why do I think that? Go look at how people view Tharja - that's all the proof I need. Use the extra time to truly balance mounts or something.

- The worst part of FE10 was the Final chapters. Second-worst? Part 1. Both of these felt extremely rushed.

- Micaiah is my least favorite lord. Paradoxically, she's also the best-dressed character.

- FE4's story is not enough to redeems its awful gameplay, and Sigurd/Deidre is a shining example of romance done horribly wrong.

- FE8's supports are worse than FE7's.

- Not all S-rank supports should end with marriage and children, and I really miss the non-romantic paired endings (the likes of Guy/Priscilla come to mind)

- The best artwork would have Kozaki's technical grasp of character proportions and Senri Kita's clothing style and colors.

- The two mechanics I miss the most are dynamic growths and fixed growths. . .but not at the same time, of course! I think Fixed Mode should be an option upon starting a new game, regardless of difficulty.

- Don't tie battle saves to Casual!

Bar a single chapter (that notorious chapter 2), Lunatic+ is not RNG reliant and you definitely do not need to grind if you just git gud

Agreed, I could have beaten the first 4 chapter resetless if it wouldn't have been for that Gamble!Barbarian in chapter 2.

This argument doesn't make sense.

Just because something isn't challenging doesn't mean it can't be fun. In fact, challenge removes fun from a game for me, and I only play classic because older FEs conditioned me to permadeath.

Of course you can play Fire Emblem for reasons other than challenge. But if you do play for the challenge, it doesn't mean you have to do no-reset.

For example, you might want to use certain characters, need them to recruit a character later on, or be unable or unwilling to raise a replacement unit.

I will say that Phoenix Mode is kinda lol though. It's fine to have an option for someone that bad, but if you can't do Normal Casual then maybe it isn't for that player.

Another unpopular opinion; Phoenix Mode may seem ridiculous, but really, it complements Classic better than Casual does.

Casual is neither one thing nor the other. The developers wouldn't have put Phoenix in if they thought everyone should be able to handle Casual.

I think a mode between Phoenix and Classic should be for people who want to try Classic, but don't want to jump straight into the deep end.

I think Shadow Dragon is a fantastic game and New Mystery was a step down compared to it.

oh no

Funny enough this is one of the reasons I love it's story so much... It makes it feel like a much more personal and intimate story and frankly it's story makes more sense from a gameplay perpective considering the low amount of units you have versus say Sacred Stones where you are fighting a war with a small gorilla army for reasons...

Keep an open mind and give it a shot you might just like it... I hate shadow dragon and you know what I decided to give New Mystery a shot dispite the fact that I was pretty sure I would hate it, and you know what I actually quite liked it, it's not my favorite fire emblem by any stretch of the imagination but I enjoyed it and I am happy I took the risk.

Sorry for the speech I just like to encourage people to step outside there comfort zones as I would have never played my 3rd favorite game of all time (Mother 3) if I didn't.

Now on to the actually topic

I hate Shadow Dragon

I LOVE Fire emblem 7's story and 9's

I think Ninian & Lyn are good characters.

I like using archers even on high difficults

I like using Knights as well (though only Oswin, Gatrie, and sometimes Gilliam and Brom)

I think the Warrior / Fighter class is utter trash and never use any of them... Berserkers and Pirates forever!

I hate the a large number of characters in Awakening I think most of them are just us flat as Ilyana and Lowen.

I think Fire Emblem does have some good storytelling chops though this only applies to FE 7, 9, and 4.

I Hate Reclassing.

I think FE 8's story isn't half bad.

I think this is pretty much all the popular opinions...

I don't like re-classing.

I don't care about story in FE (if they're good, then that's nice. But otherwise I don't feel bothered in the slightest that they're bad.) Also, I'm not sure how unpopular this is but for FE games, Gameplay > Characters + Artstyle >= Music > Graphic > Story in terms of importance.

I think the OST for the DS FE games are underrated. And while I'm on the subject of DS FE games, I think they probably have a better art direction than any FE games barring the Tellius games.

I have no problem with people who play anything other than Classic mode.
I hope the fantasy Medieval setting doesn't get replaced in future FE games.

The newer games give too much class customization. I hate having to make spreadsheets and look at charts to figure out what classes give what and what parents need to have what skills to pass to what kids and what path the kids need to take, etc. Just give me 2-3 promotions and I'm set.

Fire Emblem's voice acting, while improving in English since the disaster that was FE9 and FE10, best conveys all the characters in Japanese, without subs to distract you. Especially when playing the "Fantasy Japan" route in FE14.

They should have included the broadcast voices from BSFE as DLC for FE12.

And these as well.

Tharja is mostly known as fanservice but I find her appearance remarkably unattractive.

7739144_f260.jpg

When I look at that without prior knowledge of the character I would sooner imagine a coffee addicted, neurotic spaz then I would imagine some piece of eye candy.

Yeah I agree, nothing in-game aside from the fanservice in summer scramble and what people say actually indicates that she's hot. I mean she dresses provocatively, that you can tell by looking at her 3d model, but it's not detailed enough to be particularly hot so it doesn't count. Only art that's for the game but not actually in it shows how hot she is.

- This:

I think the OST for the DS FE games are underrated. And while I'm on the subject of DS FE games, I think they probably have a better art direction than any FE games barring the Tellius games.

*After playing hard mode I'm also totally fine with the low hit rates in FE6. Know how to work the terrain and weapon triangle and that annoyance suddenly becomes the game's largest boon.

- FE3 is very mediocre and can't hold a candle to the remakes.

- FE4 is completely terrible.

- FE5 Chapter 24x is only bad because of the warp tiles and would be great without them.

- FE5 Chapter 22 is easy.

- FE6's story idea isn't FE1 2.0.

- FE12 does a good job presenting Chris as a normal soldier.

- I dislike using children in Awakening and find that sort of optimization extremely uninteresting.

(Also, neither of "I like reclassing" and "I dislike reclassing" are unpopular opinions)

Edited by Gradivus.