Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 2

Shin

"The Baron of Bears and the Girl on Fire working together once more, just like in the Battle against Beleros!" Scuttle exclaimed with unbridled excitement. And here she was to witness it with her own two eyes! Hear the grate of their steel on screaming flesh with her own two ears! Taste the sulphurous tang of blood in the air with her own tongue! And oh would she taste it, taste it like snowflakes on an early winter morning.

First Owen's dragonfire, then the twins, now this? She was living in a legend.

"Oh, see how the ballista deigns not to move, as if frozen in fear! Even now it trembles! Wait . . . no, that's just it loading up another bolt. Well, good luck, sir Baron. I'll be right behind you." By about a mile or two.

Scuttle to (15,2) for a better view

Edited by Frostivus

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Angus had just gotten healed up, and he was already ready to charge off again just to check if a ballista could still shoot...? Somehow, his stupidity never ceased to amaze her.

Claire to (17,2).

Doug moves to 17,5!

ENEMY PHASE

"Target spotted!"

Ballista fires at Angus!
12 Atk, 59% Hit, 0% Crit, 12% Adept
(21 97)
Angus takes 12 damage! (10/37 HP remaining)
(8)
The Ballista fires again!
(77 2)
The Ballista misses!

Angus gains 5 XP!!

"Me ballista be jammed! I think I be firing it too quickly!"

Brigand #9 moves to 10,17!

Brigand #9 attacks Nelon with his Iron Axe!
6 Atk, 41% Hit, 1% Crit
(41 60)
Nelon dodges!
Nelon counters with his Iron Sword!
13 Atk, 100% Hit, 5% Crit, 12% Adept
(88 5)
Nelon deals 13 damage! (19/32 HP remaining)
(32)
Nelon attacks again!
(35 16)
Nelon deals 13 damage! (6/32 HP remaining)
(18)

Nelon gains 9 XP!
Nelon gains 2 Sword WEXP!

Pirate #5 stays put!

Enemy Reinforcements deploy!

... so does someone else!

"Oswald... Tobias... Javier... I smell you all..."[/code]

Chapter 5 Turn 8

73e740cc9e64ea82d8195d0e7dd8eba3.png

Edited by Shin

[spoiler=When Scuttle was little]When Scuttle was little, she used to play pretend. She would pen love letters signed as the future wife of Duke Nelson, or any other duke she fancied (which changed as often as a day had minutes). She would dress up with hand-me-down corsets as a lost princess stuck up in a tower, and play out her own rescue. A group of ruffians and thugs found her, captured her and was just about to kill her, when her Prince Charming came to save the day, and there she was, giggling and starstruck!

Her mentor never liked those games.

One night when he caught her in yet another dramatic play, he had taken her paper tiara and folded it into a little bendy sword. “Women don’t always have to be the ones who get rescued, you know,” he said, pushing the papermache sword handle gently into her hand, "Sometimes, they do the rescuing too."

"But I never see them do that!” she whined as she fumbled to bend her jewel-embedded crown back into shape.

"I have. In fact, I’ve met one of them.”

His glinting wink had been enough to set off a week’s worth of questioning in the manner of how any child would approach it: with easy wonder and no pause for breath. Scuttle voraciously ate up every ballad and town-cry about these heroines since, and every time her mentor came back to visit she would beg him to bring her along on his next adventure to meet them. She was old enough! She was eight!

Ten!

Fourteen!

Every time, he would give that knowing grin, and reply, “Maybe some day. When you’re older. You still need to practice your bow. No, not as a bludgeon. Assassins are chasing me, I have to kill them first.”

When Scuttle was eighteen and had long left the orphanage to leave behind her sisters of the night, she had bumped into her mentor on the streets. He was more mellow than she remembered, a bit more uppity, but still just as warm as the day they both met. More out of habit than desperation, she had asked him the same question she had asked for the past ten years.

His answer this time had been a little different.

“Well then, what are you waiting for?”

Ballistas, as far as Scuttle could remember from her gleans in the library, were instruments of war that tore down thick castle stone walls with a mere shot. Nearly 200 years of service and it still hasn't lost any of its power in violent redecoration -- it had been both Raewald's biggest boon and bane in the border skirmishes against the bandits, and had maintained the kingdom's status quo by deterring any other noble upstart keen to build a bigger castle than he ought to. There were centuries' worth of peacekeeping power coiled in each ballista bolt. Impregnable fortresses crumbled in the behemoth's wake.

Which made Angus's feat of taking a direct hit from one with two boots still planted all the more awe-inspiring. Scuttle had to cup her mouth to stop the shrill screaming.

The copious amount of blood spurting everywhere didn't concern Scuttle too much though, who at the moment considered finding a rhyme for 'ballista' her most urgent mission in life.

Scuttle to (12,2)

Edited by Frostivus

Did it work? Alain wondered, his prayer to the dark lord now complete. He had felt something, but he wasn't sure if it had just been his mind playing tricks on him, or an answer from the god himself. Amidst the chaos of the battlefield, it was hard to focus on such abstract questions. For now, he hoped Belial would take it upon himself to assure his safety through the battle. If not, perhaps Engel would accept repentance?

Alain ponders his life choices as he moves to (11,2).

It was a good thing she'd snapped out of it in time, as Angus took a bolt from a ballista. Insanity. She scurried over, keeping mostly quiet, knowing enough that freaking out further wouldn't help the issue; she was oddly lucid at the moment. "Angus, watch yourself!" she chided, still quietly, healing his wound... She hoped he wasn't about to start taking ballista regularly, as there might not be much left to heal if he took a hit in the wrong place.

Cass to 14,2 Heal Angus

Emmet moves to 13,16!

Scuttle moves to 12,2!

Serge moves to 12,3!

Alain moves to 11,2!

The presence is even stronger now!

Cass moves to 14,2!

Cass heals Angus with Jeeves' Staff!

Angus regains 19 HP! (33/37 HP)

Cass gains 25 XP!

Cass gains 3 Staff WEXP!

Cass grows to level 10!

(40 43 88 16 12 8 44 11)

HP up!

Skill up!

Speed up!

Luck up!

Resistance up!

With renewed strength, Emmet rushed into battle. "Pink's suffering a lot of wear" he muttered to himself. "I'll swap over to that other bow."

Emmet to (11,16), Equip Iron Bow and attack Brigand #9

"You certainly know how to have fun, don't you?"

Larissa moves to 12,16!

Larissa refreshes Emmet!

Larissa gains 15 XP!

"I think you're set for another pegasus ride... you must be thrilled."

Sebastian moves to 17,3!

Sebastian rescues Claire!

Emmet moves to 11,16!

Emmet attacks Brigand #9 with his Iron Bow!
9 Atk, 95% Hit, 3% Crit
(90 91)
Dead!

Emmet gains 30 XP!
Emmet gains 2 Bow WEXP!

Edited by Shin

Angus weathers the first bolt, but ducks frantically into Agro to dodge the second--two bolts, in such short succession! [Th'hell's goin' on over there?! How c'n a ballista get two bolts off that fast?] He stands in the saddle, all but ignoring the healing touch as he curls his right hand. Peering through the pinhole, he can just see the ballistician... and whatever he was doing, he wasn't reloading. A quick nod to the Princess precedes his gallop towards Doug, to relay the news.

"Oi, Doug! Ballista's havin' some trouble, we sh--" The knight lifts his arm to gesture, but finds there's somebody there! "...righ', prob'ly a good idea. Take 'er, an' get th'bastard mannin' that thing!" He hurls her into the air, towards Doug and that strange new pegasus. To his left--who was that fellow? Right; Adele's butler. [Good man.]

Angus to (17,4), Take Claire, Give Claire to Doug, Canto to (16,4)

Two ballista bolts rained down from the sky- not aimed particularly close to Freya. Ha. A recognized waste of time. She marched through the sand as steadfast as ever, but new foes emerged from forts up ahead. Thieves- quick, but far too weak to be a threat to her. She readied her weapon as she moved on, handing away her healing salve to one of the mages, who was far more fragile. "Take this. I won't need it against the likes of them," she spoke loud enough for the thieves to hear.

It seemed likely they probably wouldn't bother fighting her voluntarily either. Perhaps intimidation wasn't really necessary.

Freya to [11, 3], gives Alain her vulnerary.

"Will do- wait, TOO LOW!"

Doug was about to land to pick up Claire when Angus threw her straight into him. She came too low for Doug to catch in his arms. Rather, Claire slammed right into the pegasus's side. While Doug had managed to grab Claire's arm in time, the pegasus was thoroughly pissed off. Doug could not pull Claire up before the pegasus zoomed off in a frantic panic.

"No Agathon, no!"

The trip was filled with twists at high speeds. All the while Agathon was biting at Claire's clothes, determined to bite her off of him. Doug struggled to keep gripping Claire's arm while controlling the pegasus, resulting in a very lopsided ride. All the while, they were flying low, Claire's body narrowly missing some of their fellow soldiers along the way.

After one particularly sharp turn, Doug lost his grip, sending poor Claire straight into the sun-soaked beach below. Fortunately, they were flying low, so permanent injury was unlikely. Well, for Claire at least.

Doug finally managed to stop Agathon. The pegasus began heaving: apparently, motion sickness was a thing for pegasi. The irder looked over, happy to see that they didn't kill off the mage.

"To be fair, this was not entirely my fault."

peg%20path_zpsqig6wdrt.png

Doug to (12,7), Drop Claire to (12,8)

"Huh...?" Owen felt a chill through his spine. He couldn't quite place it, it was something completely alien to him. Absolutely unpleasant. ...I don't like this place, we need to leave. If there was one thing Owen always disliked, it was the unpredictable, and he couldn't for the life of him tell what that presage meant.

"Whatever you are, show yourself..." Owen spoke under his breath.

Owen to (8,17), equip his iron sword again; stock vulnerary inside safepants.

Edited by Xinnidy

Angus moves to 17,4!

Angus takes Claire from Sebastian!

Angus gives Claire to Doug!

Angus cantos to 16,4!

Adele moves to 10,2!

Adele trades her Gattling Bow and Vulnerary for Alain's Mace and Boarding Axe!

Freya moves to 11,3!

Freya gives Alain her Vulnerary!

Doug moves to 12,7!

Doug drops Claire on 12,8!

Owen moves to 8,17!

Owen equips his Iron Sword!

Owen stores his Vulnerary in convoy!

"Wait what-" was all Claire had time to say before Angus enacted his 'plan' (if you could call something so unbelievably stupid a plan). It was only at the last second she'd realised what he was up to, and by then it was far too late.

Being hurled like a hand axe right into Doug's pink pegasus was enough of a shock to the mage even before the chaos that followed. She kind of wished that Doug had just let her drop instead of grabbing and trying to hoist her up (if not for the fact that she probably would've been trampled) but it was difficult to be grateful when she was essentially a ragdoll at the current time.

The world spun beneath her as the trio hurtled towards Engel-knows-where at breakneck speed. Claire failed to see exactly how any of the numerous loops she'd been forced to endure were necessary, but then again she failed to see more or less anything clearly. It was a mess of shapes and colours - endless seas of blue both overhead and beneath her - although she wasn't sure which way was which anymore. She flailed around, slapping the pegasus' jaw away from her - although she didn't have a lot of success.

Needless to say, she wanted off of Mr Agathon's wild ride.

Being chucked face first into the sand by the thrashing beast was not how she wanted to make her landing however. The world was still moving around her and for a moment she was worried that she would fall upwards into the sky. Her sense of direction was not helped much by the arrival of her tome (which by some miracle had managed to stay in her grasp for the majority of the journey) which thumped her in the back of the head. Dazed, confused and sore all over, the mage laid still, groaning inaudiably about how it was all Angus' fault.

Doug wasn't about to let a young maiden lay upon the ground alone. The rider left his steed to recover while he walked over to Claire.

"Here," Doug began as he gave her a hand to help her up. "Probably, should find that ballista before it gets back up and running."

He figured not mentioning the crazy trip here would make up for his part in the fiasco.

Was being a Wykian vassal a one way trip towards throwing away sane plans? Sidney couldn't help but wonder as even more loud noises came from the other shore, Claire seeming to have a difficult time being carried around by air. With a sigh, she continued onwards. She just wanted this battle over with by now.

Sid (9, 16), Steel Bow Pirate 5

Sidney moves to 9,16!

Sidney attacks Pirate #5 with her Steel Bow!
16 Atk, 83% Hit, 11% Crit
(53 67)
Sidney deals 16 damage! (16/32 HP remaining)
(3 0)
Kablammo!

Sidney gains 33 XP!
Sidney gains 3 Bow WEXP!

"Lady Montana, please allow my assistance."

Nelon moves to 9,17!
Nelon helps Sidney equip her Zodiac Claw!

ENEMY PHASE

"Me ballista! I think I've fixed it!"

The Ballista can fire next turn!

Thief #1 moves to 9,2!

Thief #1 attacks Adele with his Gutting Knife!
4 Atk, 80% Hit, 47% Crit
(23 12)
Nasty hit! Adele takes 12 damage! (18/32 HP remaining)
Adele strikes back!
16 Atk, 67% Hit, 25% Crit
(51 5)
Vengeance!

Adele gains 42 XP!
Adele gains 2 Axe WEXP!
Adele sends the Gutting Knife to Convoy!

Thief #2 moves to 9,3!

Thief #3 moves to 7,17!
Thief #3 looks at his weapon and then at Owen!
Thief #3 stays put!

Thief #4 moves to 8,16!
Thief #4 steals Sidney's Lockpick!

OTHER PHASE

"How unsightly..."

Sorcerer appears at 6,16!

"Return to the dirt which you are."

Sorcerer casts Inferno on Thief #4
(22 68)
Thief #4 is reduced to ashes!

"Worthless."

CHAPTER 5 TURN 9

3054029c2ea8c1cbc6145fa02f33ae96.png

SPREADSHEET

"Um, sure," Sidney responded to the knight, preparing herself better for any attacks. But instead of an attack, she found that someone thought stealing from her was a good idea. "Hey! You've got something mixed up, pal!" She readied her Zodiac Claw, but rather suddenly the man burst into flames, an unknown man seeming to be the cause. She looked at the remains of the thief before turning towards the sorcerer again. "I don't suppose I can have that back?"