Rezzy

The multilingual parents that I know (German/French and German/Chinese) talked to their kids in their respective language since the birth. In general, the children talk German to everyone else, but as far as I can tell they all speak their mother's/father's language fairly well.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The multilingual parents that I know (German/French and German/Chinese) talked to their kids in their respective language since the birth. In general, the children talk German to everyone else, but as far as I can tell they all speak their mother's/father's language fairly well.

This. Several of my friends come from multilingual families, and they all had this experience. They came out pretty normal youths out of it, only they could speak two (or three in one case) languages before elementary school. Basically, each parent speaks to the baby the language that comes most naturally to them.

Contractions have been getting more frequent and stronger. I really thought the baby was going to come yesterday, but didn't quite reach the hour benchmark.

So speaking to them from the very beginning in both languages is best?

From what I've read, yes.

Best of luck. I hope things go smoothly! Well, as smoothly as childbirth can go.

Thanks, been really nervous this past week

Contractions have been getting more frequent and stronger. I really thought the baby was going to come yesterday, but didn't quite reach the hour benchmark.

From what I've read, yes.

Eeep! Wishing you all the best! I hope she comes soon for you because prodomal labor can really suck.

Also, NekoKnight, it's also best if each parent sticks to one language (if you're a bilingual household, obviously for more than two languages at least one parent will have to speak more than one language).

Man, looks like you are going to have a Halloween baby AND be stuck in the hospital for it. I must've jinxed you. Sorry... :(

Yeah, I'd prefer not to have a Halloween baby, since I think we've already talked about having your special day fall on Christmas or Halloween for kids, but if it happens, it happens. I'm not sure if she'll last the week, though.

It felt like she was trying to force her way out, last night.

Well, all I can say is to just not let Halloween overshadow the girl's birthday. Let her have a party during the day or maybe the day before or something, and then dress up for Halloween and go trick-or-treating like usual.

And yeah, we did talk about that. Hell, my own mom teases me about my birthday being Cinco de Mayo. Others have done so too. So I kinda know how it feels.

Edited by Anacybele

Well, all I can say is to just not let Halloween overshadow the girl's birthday. Let her have a party during the day or maybe the day before or something, and then dress up for Halloween and go trick-or-treating like usual.

And yeah, we did talk about that. Hell, my own mom teases me about my birthday being Cinco de Mayo. Others have done so too. So I kinda know how it feels.

Yeah, at least Cinco de Mayo isn't too big a holiday, at least in the US. Sometimes, my dad's birthday falls on Easter, as well as some relatives who sometimes have Thanksgiving birthdays. My birthday is in the middle of a holiday drought in late July.

I've been wondering about having to get a bigger car. We'll now have to have two carseats in the back, and when we have a third kid, there won't really be room for another. We might have to get a minivan or another car that has 3 rows of seats.

Yeah, at least Cinco de Mayo isn't too big a holiday, at least in the US. Sometimes, my dad's birthday falls on Easter, as well as some relatives who sometimes have Thanksgiving birthdays. My birthday is in the middle of a holiday drought in late July.

I've been wondering about having to get a bigger car. We'll now have to have two carseats in the back, and when we have a third kid, there won't really be room for another. We might have to get a minivan or another car that has 3 rows of seats.

True that, yeah. My paternal grandma's birthday sometimes falls on Easter too.

Well, the only solutions I can think of are these:

1. Wait until Leo outgrows the car seat to have a third kid.

2. Stop at two kids. I know you wanted four, but if it seems like it'll be too difficult to raise more than two for whatever reason, well... Not to mention you just said not long ago that you're pretty nervous lately about birthing the second.

Edited by Anacybele

True that, yeah. My paternal grandma's birthday sometimes falls on Easter too.

Well, the only solutions I can think of are these:

1. Wait until Leo outgrows the car seat to have a third kid.

2. Stop at two kids. I know you wanted four, but if it seems like it'll be too difficult to raise more than two for whatever reason, well... Not to mention you just said not long ago that you're pretty nervous lately about birthing the second.

I don't want to wait too long to have the third. We've planned to space them 2-3 years apart, but I want to have them all before 35, and I'm already 30. The recommendations for car seats these days are a bit extreme as well. I don't even remember being in a car seat, and I can remember back to when I was 3, because I remember my sister being born. And come to think of it, I sat in the front seat, but our car didn't even have airbags back then.

Well, of course, I didn't mean to wait TOO long. You should never wait too long, because the older you get, the higher the chance of your kid getting Down Syndrome and all. xP

I was a week early... In fact, my mom's due date for me was both my dad's birthday and Mother's Day that year. lol Imagine if I HAD been on time! Still, at least I came just in time for my mom to be able to celebrate Mother's Day. XD And my dad got a daughter for an early birthday gift. lol

Edited by Anacybele

Well, of course, I didn't mean to wait TOO long. You should never wait too long, because the older you get, the higher the chance of your kid getting Down Syndrome and all. xP

I was a week early... In fact, my mom's due date for me was both my dad's birthday and Mother's Day that year. lol Imagine if I HAD been on time! Still, at least I came just in time for my mom to be able to celebrate Mother's Day. XD And my dad got a daughter for an early birthday gift. lol

Yeah, Leo was an early birthday present for me. He was due right around my birthday and came a few days early. We all came home from the hospital on my birthday, though! He had a bit of trouble nursing when he was born and had to stay a couple extra days.

Man, so many different things can go wrong when you have a baby, some worse than others. That's one thing that makes me so afraid of it and want to adopt instead. But the idea of adopting has slowly become more appealing. I think I almost definitely want to do it when I get married (no way am I being a single mom. xP).

Of course, I still would adopt a girl and name her Elincia. I just hope I don't end up failing at this parenting thing.

Edited by Anacybele

Man, so many different things can go wrong when you have a baby, some worse than others. That's one thing that makes me so afraid of it and want to adopt instead. But the idea of adopting has slowly become more appealing. I think I almost definitely want to do it when I get married (no way am I being a single mom. xP).

Of course, I still would adopt a girl and name her Elincia. I just hope I don't end up failing at this parenting thing.

I would never recommend being a single parent, if you can help it. It's hard enough with two parents. And I'm glad to say that our kids have two loving and dedicated parents.

Good luck if/when you do decide to adopt a child.

I would never recommend being a single parent, if you can help it. It's hard enough with two parents. And I'm glad to say that our kids have two loving and dedicated parents.

Good luck if/when you do decide to adopt a child.

Oh yeah, I bet you wouldn't. I'm sure my mom wouldn't either, and she had to be a single mom for a little while after divorcing my dad. She didn't marry my stepdad right away or anything. She said she worked two jobs and such.

And I don't plan to get more than one kid, cause yeah, it'd probably be too hard for disabled autistic me, even with a husband in the picture. But thanks, Rezzy. Good luck with this birth of yours too. :)

How were you?

I was two weeks late for my mom.

Two weeks early, forced my way out. Hospital had to induce labor on my mom, because it was no longer safe for her to carry me.

Two weeks early, forced my way out. Hospital had to induce labor on my mom, because it was no longer safe for her to carry me.

I'm glad it turned out well. Was she small or other health issues? I'm a rather large person, so I haven't run into that. Large as in tall and a large skeletal structure, so there's not issues like not enough room. I'm not fat.

On a related note, some random women in a restaurant said she thought Leo would be like 6'5" some day, because his hands and feet are so big. Then she sees me.

Edited by Rezzy

Strangely, my mom seemed to have identical pregnancies and births with my brother and I. Usually, it seems like no two pregnancies are alike at all. And the first one is always the hardest because your body is new to it. Yet, my mom was in labor for the exact same amount of time in both of hers and such.

The only reason I can think of for this is how long apart we were. I was turning 8 when my brother was born. So after all that time, I would guess that my mom's body returned to pretty much the same state it was before she had me.

Speaking of which, the only thing I'm NOT looking forward to in parenting is diaper changing...if I end up adopting a girl who's still in diapers. It's better than changing a boy imo (because I think boy parts look gross, no offense to boys out there. xP), but still. I had to change my brother's diapers sometimes and oh my god it's disgusting. At least I have experience here though. I also gave him a bottle and burped him once or twice.

Edited by Anacybele