Rezzy

Everyone, please pray for Est. We had an appointment today, and they found something that will require further testing next week. I don't feel like talking too much more about details right now, maybe later. Est is probably okay, and I didn't even consider the possibility that there was anything wrong, since she's been doing so well, so this came out of nowhere. Even with my training, I can't help but worry. I'm just really nervous and have to wait over the weekend and can do nothing at the moment. I feel like there is a vice squeezing my heart and something is twisting my insides.

If I come across as a grumpy bitch over the next few days, I'm sorry. I wish it was something wrong with me, instead. I want my baby to be okay.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully she's okay, yeah. :(

Try to be positive though! I had to be tested for Turner's Syndrome as a little kid because I had a few characteristics that lined up with it (being small, developing differently from other kids, stuff like that), but I tested negative, so there's definitely hope!

Oh no, I'm so sorry! I hope it turns out to be nothing serious.

Thank you

I hope Est gets better soon. I'm all too familiar with that vice-like feeling.

I wish it was just next week, already. Not knowing is the worst part.

Hopefully she's okay, yeah. :(

Try to be positive though! I had to be tested for Turner's Syndrome as a little kid because I had a few characteristics that lined up with it (being small, developing differently from other kids, stuff like that), but I tested negative, so there's definitely hope!

Thanks. Statistically, it will be okay, but statistics aren't comforting.

Oh my goodness! Hope everything turns out okay for Est!

Man, yeah, I totally get what you mean there. That is hard...

I hope this nothing serious, both for her sake and your sake.

For one time, I lack of words but I'll try to stay positive.

I really hope everything's going to be alright and I'm wishing you strength during the uncertainty!

Thank you for your support everyone. Est seems to be doing okay, but we'll know more next week. Edited by Rezzy

Oh good, that's a relief

Nothing has been settled yet. She has an echocardiogram next week. She has a heart murmur that is abnormal enough to warrant testing. I didn't even think to check for it, since Est had a good APGAR score, is pink, and has been gaining weight at a healthy rate.

Rezzy, I know you're worried, and it's Christmas time, a time where no good person like you should have to be scared or worried. And I think I can give you some relief. I'm researching heart murmurs in infants now that you've brought it up in your post, and from what I'm reading, the most common causes (like an issue with a heart valve) can definitely be treated and the murmur typically goes away in children as they get older. The only thing is, sometimes surgery is needed, and that...well...can cost a lot. I only pray that Est won't need it. In fact, the best cast scenario would be that she needs no treatment at all, as murmurs are often harmless.

What I'm saying is she should definitely live. The doctor will probably monitor her over time just to be safe, but she most likely will be fine. The only way I can see her not being fine, honestly, is if someone screws something up at the hospital that affects her and the chances of that are probably like zero.

I hope this helps you feel better at a time you should be excited. You know, for baby's first Christmas and all.

Rezzy, I know you're worried, and it's Christmas time, a time where no good person like you should have to be scared or worried. And I think I can give you some relief. I'm researching heart murmurs in infants now that you've brought it up in your post, and from what I'm reading, the most common causes (like an issue with a heart valve) can definitely be treated and the murmur typically goes away in children as they get older. The only thing is, sometimes surgery is needed, and that...well...can cost a lot. I only pray that Est won't need it. In fact, the best cast scenario would be that she needs no treatment at all, as murmurs are often harmless.

What I'm saying is she should definitely live. The doctor will probably monitor her over time just to be safe, but she most likely will be fine. The only way I can see her not being fine, honestly, is if someone screws something up at the hospital that affects her and the chances of that are probably like zero.

I hope this helps you feel better at a time you should be excited. You know, for baby's first Christmas and all.

I know you mean well, but I am a doctor, and know quite a bit about heart murmurs. I appreciate it, and I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I'm still the most worried I've been in my life.

Statistically, she should be okay, but I've seen firsthand children with heart issues. I've seen children die from heart defects. The thought that Est might be at risk terrifies me.

I know you mean well, but I am a doctor, and know quite a bit about heart murmurs. I appreciate it, and I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I'm still the most worried I've been in my life.

Statistically, she should be okay, but I've seen firsthand children with heart issues. I've seen children die from heart defects. The thought that Est might be at risk terrifies me.

You're a doctor? I don't remember you saying anything about that, I didn't know. And children dying from heart defects is probably very rare and from more serious heart conditions. If Est is doing perfectly fine, I doubt it's serious.

But gee, I'm sorry for even trying to help. :/ (Even though you say you appreciate it, it doesn't feel like that from my angle. Again, sorry)

Edited by Anacybele

You're a doctor? I don't remember you saying anything about that, I didn't know. And children dying from heart defects is probably very rare and from more serious heart conditions. If Est is doing perfectly fine, I doubt it's serious.

But gee, I'm sorry for even trying to help. :/ (Even though you say you appreciate it, it doesn't feel like that from my angle. Again, sorry)

Yeah, I'm a doctor. I've mentioned it a few times here and there, but it's not something I go out of my way to make known, so no worries for not knowing that.

I'm terribly sorry for sounding ungrateful. I really do appreciate the sentiment, and am glad you tried to put things in a positive light for me. It's having supportive friends that makes this weekend bearable and don't want to seem like I'm pushing anyone away. The fact that you took the time to read about that means the world to me. My mind is just in a dark place right now.

Yeah, I'm a doctor. I've mentioned it a few times here and there, but it's not something I go out of my way to make known, so no worries for not knowing that.

I'm terribly sorry for sounding ungrateful. I really do appreciate the sentiment, and am glad you tried to put things in a positive light for me. It's having supportive friends that makes this weekend bearable and don't want to seem like I'm pushing anyone away. The fact that you took the time to read about that means the world to me. My mind is just in a dark place right now.

Oh, I must have missed those mentions somehow then. xP

Don't worry, I wasn't like mad or anything, because I knew you didn't mean to sound ungrateful. Just a bit disappointed that I couldn't help. I just hate seeing good people unhappy at the holidays, regardless of the reason. Because I care, and because it tends to make me feel upset too. And like I said, no good people should be upset at this time of year.

But I understand your mind being in a dark place or whatever. It's never cool to be afraid of losing someone you love/care about. And it's even worse if that actually happens. My parents know what it's like to lose a child. There isn't even a word for it (like widow(er) for someone that lost a spouse or orphan for a kid that lost his/her parents) because it's so awful. I guess that was another reason I was so interested in trying to help, because I don't want to see another person I know have to be afraid of the same thing happening or actually have the same thing happen. I don't know if I could handle that. Even if we've only known each other a short time.

Edited by Anacybele

Thanks for your support, everyone. Good news. Est has a patent foramen ovale. It's a hole in the heart that is supposed to close before birth, but it's small, and this was the best news that we could have expected. It's something to keep an eye on, but Est is in no immediate danger.

Yay! Awesome news! Hopefully it closes soon. That's what my cousin had, incidentally.

I had some sort of murmur when I was a baby, but I guess this one was worse?

Rezzy was really worried, since she had a cousin who died as a baby and had a sister miscarry.

Thanks for your support, everyone. Good news. Est has a patent foramen ovale. It's a hole in the heart that is supposed to close before birth, but it's small, and this was the best news that we could have expected. It's something to keep an eye on, but Est is in no immediate danger.

Sounds like what I had.

Good news for sure that she's in no immediate danger. Glad to hear.

Can I say it now? XD

Oh good, that's a relief

Seriously, very happy to hear that.

Yay! Awesome news! Hopefully it closes soon. That's what my cousin had, incidentally.

Thanks!

Sounds like what I had.

Good news for sure that she's in no immediate danger. Glad to hear.

Yeah, I had hoped that this was what it would be. I couldn't really get a good look at the echo while they were doing it, since I was trying to keep Est calm. She did not like the goop.

Can I say it now? XD

Seriously, very happy to hear that.

Sure, you can say it now!