FE10 Tierlist 2017

First, the missed ones:

Kieran: He has serious Hit issues, making him unreliable. Gamble is pointless, and his availability isn't good. Usable, but normally I don't bother. 5/10

Astrid: It's unbelievable. One of the best units in FE9 suddenly became one of the worst in FE10. And she probably would be if it wasn't for the fact that Fiona and Lyre exist. Never use Astrid in FE10, ever. 2/10

Makalov: I honestly forget this guy even exists in this game since he's so unmemorable. Not as bad as Astrid, but has nothing to make him remarkable. 3/10

That guy who is most definitely not Devdan: He's okay. Usable for sure, but he's another character with poor availability. You'll probably have a much better leveled Nephenee when you get him back, so no much use for him. 5/10

Calill: Man, Part 2 has plenty of throwaway characters, but Calill is bit of a breath of fresh air. An okay mage, and the best user of Rexflame. Certainly not a bad Endgame pick, but nothing too special. 6/10

Ike: Great but not prefect. Once he gets Ragnell he's a force to be feared, but he still has issues with mages and Sleep Staffs. Don't go crazy with him. Also he gets negative bias for being an awfully boring protagonist. 7.5/10

Mist: Meh, she gets a horse on promotion but it's not really worth wasting all that exp on her, as you get several better healers along the way. 4.5/10

Titania: The highest leveled of the GMs, so she'll never be left behind regardless on when you decide to use her. Very, very good. 8/10

Soren: He's cool. Definitely the best user of Rexwind but like most mages, nothing TOO special. Great availability so I'll give him that. 7/10

Rhys: A better healer than Mist during Part 3 so he gets credit for that. Use him for utility but don't bother with him as a serious combat unit. 6/10

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ike: Everybody's favorite blue-haired, blunt, and food-loving mercenary leader! <3 Just as he was three years before in PoR, Ike's a freakin' beast and kills anything and everything. He also gets axes upon promotion this time, which is the main reason I think he's even a step up from his PoR self who was sword-locked. And did I mention he gets a freakin' powerful ranged sword? (Ragnell) He's slower than in PoR, but this doesn't hurt him as much as it might seem thanks to his base speed being great. His only real weakness is magic thanks to his crappy res (that's the only way I've managed to get the poor guy killed, actually, an unlucky magic strike), and really, almost never is a unit completely perfect. 9.5/10

Mist: Man, why is she a step down from her PoR self? Back there she could at least use her magic stat for magic swords, now none of the magic weapons actually use the magic stat. If Florete used it, Mist might be almost as good as her brother. Instead she's stuck with weapons that use strength which hers is pretty crappy. She's fine as a healer though. 3/10

Titania: She's the best Paladin in RD to me (sorry, Kieran...still love ya the most out of them tho!). Her bases and growths are good and she starts at a high level. Sadly, the caps for Paladins kinda stink, so the nerf still hurts her a bit. 8/10

Soren: The best mage in the game yet again like in PoR, but it's not really that much of an accomplishment this time unfortunately. I feel like mages took a hit here too. They didn't feel as good as in PoR at all. Soren's still decent though. 6/10

Rhys: He doesn't get Thani-bombing like Micaiah, but he's still great with other Light magic and starts out at a higher level as well as promoted. And though he can't double much, he can hit hard for a sickly frail dude. His healing is also better than Mist's due to being at a higher level. He can also actually take a hit unlike Micaiah, though barely since he's still a fragile magic user. The low speed makes him suffer a little too. 5/10

Edited by Anacybele

He can also actually take a hit unlike her, though barely since he's still a fragile magic user. The low speed makes him suffer a little too. 5/10

Actually base Mist has one more HP than Rhys and both have the exact same defense.

Both can barely take a hit in the beginning.

However both will get doubled by most opponents.

Edit: Alright

Edited by Eleanor Hume

Actually base Mist has one more HP than Rhys and both have the exact same defense.

Both can barely take a hit in the beginning.

However both will get doubled by most opponents.

I meant unlike Micaiah, not Mist. I edited my post because I realized I forgot to clarify.

^ alright

Added Eclipse's and Jave's vote.

Tierlist and Excel-table are updated for now.

6/10 for Astrid. Though it's generally not a popular opinion I've gotten nothing but solid use out of her. However, due to having lower caps than a marksman, I tend to swap in Leonardo or Shinon for endgame. Her movement is useful in the final 2 endgame chapters though if she's got high enough strength and/or SS in bows to ORK the spirits.

5/10 for Makalov. Being the only sword paladin in the game makes his inclusion in the game unique, but he's nothing too special as are most paladins even with good rng. There's just not enough motivation to use a horseback character that primarily uses swords when you can just use Mia or Edward (and with boots if you want them to mimic the movement Gold/Silver Knights have).

7/10 for Calill. It feels like she's meant to be the fire sage that you'd rather use over Sanaki, But you have to bring Sanaki to endgame anyway so she's sort of a redundant character. Other than pretty run-of-the-mill caps as an archsage, she does have solid stats and unlike Tormod, she has decent availability as a fire sage which is fine by me. All in all, you may as well focus on a rexbolt or rexcalibur user for more diversity.

can we contribute to previous characters whose votes have already been decided?

Do you also have an opinion of Kieran and Danved, or shall I only add these three ratings to the table?

Ike - I usually play with transfers, so I actually don't have any experience with vanilla Ike. And since it's quite feasible to give him HP/Str/Skl/Spd/Def transfers (with an Angelic Robe), that's quite the difference. With transfers, his combat is pretty darn ridiculous, and his weak stats can be very easily be fixed via BEXP since he can have HP, Strength and Skill maxed after his first level-up. Without transfers, he seems to stand out less compared to the other Mercs, especially because he can't use any decent 1-2 ranged weapons until promotion. Speaking of which - his promotion comes early enough and he's not in any danger to fall behind in stats, but it's still mildly annoying to have him sit at level 20. As soon as he does promote, he's probably the strongest fighter in the game, though. 8.5/10

Mist - I'm still salty that she can't use magical swords any more and that she starts without a pony. :/ Her additional movement point compared to Rhys is nice and her Florete gives her the ability to at least throw in the occasional chip or even mage kill, but honestly, her combat is still really sad. At base, Mist isn't even that much more durable than Rhys (+1 HP, +1 Spd. Whoopdidoo.), although she will grow a bit better than him. 4/10

Titania - Not as overpowered as she was in PoR, but still the 2nd best unit in the GM. I usually don't use her for the tower because, well, Jill and Haar, but she does just fine. There is hardly anything bad to say about her. 9.5/10

Soren - T!Soren starts with two capped stats and even without them, he's have Mag, Skl and Spd capped by level 10. Early promotion to get a combat-able healer actually seems like a good idea, or you could just BEXP him to take care of his weaker stats. Statwise, he's probably the best sage in the game, but I'd say that Calill is still slightly better thanks to her contributions in part 2 and her better potential SS tome. 4.5/10

Rhys - Staffbot. He's pretty good at it, as long as you keep him away from any danger, and his chip damage is better than Mist's. The Saint class he promotes into is really horrible though, and as soon as he has to compete with Elincia or Micaiah (or even promoted Sages), he just doesn't seem very appealing. 4/10

--

€: I like the new tier classifications!

Edited by ping

Sanaki doesn't need any stat boosters.

With her base speed she won't be able to double anything in 4-P in hard mode. She only needs the strength for the final map to double the auras, and she doesn't need any energydrops for that. Gareth a / o Ena will give it to her. (if you still worried about her strength, then give her ellight)

And I'm pretty sure she'll survive a hit by everyone in 4-P except for the boss and generals.

If you give paragon to her, she'll have enough HP to survive a shot in 4-3, enough strength to use Cymbeline without speed penalty and enough speed not to get doubled by anyone in 4-3 except for the swordmasters.

Also Pelleas no real endgame material except for Fenrir-spamming in E-3 + E-4 because Belberith is totally inaccurate unless the other SS tomes (for a reason I don't fucking know).

Sure, he's the only dark mage in the game, but this game is totally mage-unfriendly.

You already stuck with Micaiah and Sanaki, two mages who need tons of babying through the entire game, so there's no real reason to waste more endgame slots with a rather mediocre class.

Even Soren isn't really appreciated for me (only bring him to endgame to have a Rexcalibur user).

Other units like Soren, Nephenee, Jill... need the master crown way more than Pelleas.

Despite the game being mage-unfriendly, they still stand out in what they do, in any case. In fact, a mage unit might be cheaper than a physical unit that depends on forged ranged weapons.

Also, the player's only forced to use Micaiah for lord reasons, but not using Sanaki despite being a forced slot does no harm to the player.

@Levant Oh right, I forgot you aren't friendly with (player) Hit rates below 100 and (enemy) hit rates above 0. My bad ;)

Whelp, you're right, thanks for the correction. For some reason I thought that he got Ragnell at the end of part 3, too. That's worth +0.5 points, I guess.

@Levant Oh right, I forgot you aren't friendly with (player) Hit rates below 100 and (enemy) hit rates above 0. My bad ;)

That ain't why I called you out - it's because your "strategy" is essentially playing fast and loose with your units, in addition to the stench of stupidity that I could smell from miles away.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

That ain't why I called you out - it's because your "strategy" is essentially playing fast and loose with your units, in addition to the stench of stupidity that I could smell from miles away.

I fail to see how stupid or inappropriate it'd be, though. Resolve tactics are pretty spot-on on certain moments and exploit the potential of a lot of units, so ~

= EDIT =

If you're not willing to take the risk or feel it isn't worth it then that's different.

Edited by Quintessence

I fail to see how stupid or inappropriate it'd be, though. Resolve tactics are pretty spot-on on certain moments and exploit the potential of a lot of units, so ~

= EDIT =

If you're not willing to take the risk or feel it isn't worth it then that's different.

About the only unit that I can think of that could use Resolve safely is Mordecai. I don't trust the RNG to not give me the middle finger if I tried it with Sanaki, who gets no benefit from authority stars, or Pelleas, who has to deal with laguz that are pretty accurate... Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

About the only unit that I can think of that could use Resolve safely is Mordecai. I don't trust the RNG to not give me the middle finger if I tried it with Sanaki, who gets no benefit from authority stars, or Pelleas, who has to deal with laguz that are pretty accurate...

That is what I was referring when I mentioned it wasn't your tastes. But I do question how effective it'll be Resolve on a thwomp unit like Mordecai. The only way he gets hurt badly is by any sage, specially fire ones, but the amount of sages in the game is quite little, making it kinda hard for Mordecai to enter Resolve range, because the enemy will target lower def units. And there I can argue it being less reliable than putting it on sage units because ranged units will attack Mordecai until depleting its gauge, forcing it to untransform, get hit by any other unit and enter Resolve mode, but given the low stats when untransformed, he won't have much of durability during EP. At least, any sage unit like Ilyana, Calill, Sanaki, Pelleas or Soren will be able to dodge attacks and/or proc Flare to restore health.

I recall giving Resolve to Volug on 3-6 and it kinda worked although it was underwhelming. I gave him Adept and Resolve to pump his Strike rank to SS during 3-6 and he was pretty much murdered when untransformed. The bright side is that given his high avoid, he managed to dodge some hits.

Edited by Quintessence

That is what I was referring when I mentioned it wasn't your tastes. But I do question how effective it'll be Resolve on a thwomp unit like Mordecai. The only way he gets hurt badly is by any sage, specially fire ones, but the amount of sages in the game is quite little, making it kinda hard for Mordecai to enter Resolve range, because the enemy will target lower def units. And there I can argue it being less reliable than putting it on sage units because ranged units will attack Mordecai until depleting its gauge, forcing it to untransform, get hit by any other unit and enter Resolve mode, but given the low stats when untransformed, he won't have much of durability during EP. At least, any sage unit like Ilyana, Calill, Sanaki, Pelleas or Soren will be able to dodge attacks and/or proc Flare to restore health.

I recall giving Resolve to Volug on 3-6 and it kinda worked although it was underwhelming. I gave him Adept and Resolve to pump his Strike rank to SS during 3-6 and he was pretty much murdered when untransformed. The bright side is that given his high avoid, he managed to dodge some hits.

Well, you aren't entirely off the mark, but I question the effectiveness of putting it on a mage unit when I really can't afford to overextend them (after all, it ain't like Flare is reliable, and speaking of which, Resolve and Flare have negative synergy).

Despite the game being mage-unfriendly, they still stand out in what they do, in any case. In fact, a mage unit might be cheaper than a physical unit that depends on forged ranged weapons.

Also, the player's only forced to use Micaiah for lord reasons, but not using Sanaki despite being a forced slot does no harm to the player.

Sure, Sanaki may die in endgame, but you want to have as much attack power as possible in the endgame since you must bring more mediocre - garbage units like Sothe, Ena, Kurthnaga who usually can't do all that much.

Did you also see my post about a couple re-thought ratings?

If you're talking about Edward's, Laura's... new rating, then I changed them already in my table.

Ike

Ike's bases are overwhelming. He's got the durability and power of a Knight and the Speed and mobility of a Swordmaster. Unless Haar and Titania clear out the enemy before he reaches them, he will utterly crush whatever opposes him.

8.5/10

Mist

Somebody must have thought Mist was way too strong in PoR. 8 base str and 25% growth is not just bad, it's utterly worthless. Her bases and growths are painfully similar to Rhys except for the areas where he massively surpasses her, like his magic which makes him far better then her at Combat or using the Physic . Getting her horse would help but getting promoted will take her a long time since she can't use Master Crowns (And just to add insult to injury, she gets her promotion item in a chapter where she is better of dismounted). At least she has slightly better mobility then Rhys, at least until he promotes.

3.5/10

Titania

Axe Paladin with only 5 levels to go to 3rd tier. Yeah, she is pretty awesome.

9/10

Soren

The best mage in the game. Which isn't really saying much given how low their caps and the might of tomes are. Still, he provides decent support, especially after getting staffs. I like to promote him early and get his Staff Rank to a point where he can use the Physic.

5.5/10

Rhys

As I already said, in terms of combat and healing power he is far superior to Mist. He is slightly less mobile but he could catch up with a Master Crown and with his high magic he can support units like Haar who really don't want to waste their valuable player phase healing themselves.

5/10

Edited by BrightBow

Ike: 9.5/10. I don't like Ike10 the character at all but he's a really damn good unit (unlike Ike9 whom I quite like as a character but is much more meh gameplaywise). Better stats than Haar/Titania due to 23 base speed compared to their 20/21 doubling a lot of stuff. And Ragnell is ridiculous. With favouritism/RNG luck to reach 34 speed he can even be ludicrous in endgame, though without that he's only decent (and can struggle with his duel a bit). No mount is a negative, granted, and makes me score him below Haar, but that's about it.

Mist: 5/10. Healer, competes with other healers at all points, though is less totally fragile than Laura, and more mobile than other non-Elincia healers (even before promotion, unlike PoR). A similar score to Laura works.

Titania: 9/10. Well 3-4 and 3-7 are both anti-horse (good thing 3-7 is irrelevant) but yeah she's really good: great class and good overall stats (especially strength, but there's literally nothing bad) that become absolutely stupid when she hits tier 3. Holds up pretty well forever.

Soren: 4/10. Slow and bad durability, doesn't really hit any harder than all the other strength titans in the Greil Mercs. You can favour him and get another healer I guess but that's really one thing the GM route doesn't need more of. Early Master Crown does give you a pretty good combat unit for a while, at least, especially if you can fix his speed via BExp first, but that's a significant "if".

Rhys: 4/10. Compared to Mist he's more fragile (speed-wise) AND has -1 move. He has more chip damage but I don't value that as much. Still okay; you want every healer you can get for Part 4 in particular.

I find Resolve the most useful on Micaiah (or the light sages) because she has high luck + sacrifice and no self-healing skills unless you use Nosferatu.

I agree, Average!Micaiah20/1 can double HM!Tigers with Resolve.

Rolf
Growthrates (%)
HP: 85
Strength: 75
Magic: 10
Skill: 45
Speed: 45
Luck: 35
Defense: 35
Resistance: 20
Skill: -
Affinity: wind

Rolf is a technically a really good sniper but he has two main issues:

• He’s level 1.
  • You have Shinon already.

There’s no real need to invest in Rolf because it's almost impossible that Shinon won't turn out great.
However it’s not wrong to have two snipers in the team of GM’s. If you give Rolf a chance, he’ll out awesome as well.
He has the highest strength growth in the game. His skill and speed growth could be better, but bexp. can compensate it.
Rolf is a growth-unit. If you want to make him usable in the longrun, you must train him immediately.
The only thing is that Rolf needs much more investment than Shinon. But at the end both will turn equally as Shinon.
6 / 10

Boyd
Growthrates (%):
HP: 80
Strength: 65
Magic: 5
Speed: 45
Luck: 35
Defense: 35
Affinity: fire

While Nolan is the speedfighter, Boyd is more the traditional fighter with high HP and strength growth.
Boyd’s main problem is his speed. His 18 base speed at level 8 is very low and his speed growth isn’t too great either. He can barely double in part 3.
And besides that you have way more tanky axe users with Titania, Haar and Gatrie already. He’s still powerful and a good filler, but he’s the least usable axe user of GM’s. And as reaver you’ll go for Nolan because of his speed growth and earth-affinity.
No, Boyd isn’t as good as he was in FE9.
5 / 10

Oscar
Growthrates (%)
HP: 50
Strength: 35
Magic: 20
Skill: 65
Speed: 60
Luck: 55
Defense: 30
Affinity: earth

Oscar is a paladin with myrmidon growths. He’ll ´beomce an amazing dodgetank thanks to his high skill, speed and luck growth and earth-affinity.
His main issue is that he will turn into one of the worst classes in the game. Silver Knights uses the worst physical weapon types and have pretty bad caps.
As for part 3 and 4 he’ll do his job very well, especially more if he has boosts in strength and speed. With them and Gatrie’s steel greatlance he could even oneshot a few enemies in the early maps of part 3.
7 / 10

Shinon
Growthrates (%)
Strength: 40
Magic: 15
Skill: 70
Speed: 65
Luck: 30
Defense: 45
Affinity: thunder
Skill: provoke

Shinon’s growths took a nerf compared to FE9. But therefore his bases are terrific. He has 23 base strength, 24 speed and 20 defense. He’s a sniper who can take some hits. But for the most time he’ll dodge anyways. His only real weaknesses are that melee range bows have a fixed attack power and that his strength growth is a bit low. Rolf will surpass him really soon, but therefore his skill, speed and defense are beastly.
Provokes works excellent in combination with the crossbow from 3-P. FE10 Shinon is the best archer in FE. Not much more to say.
8 / 10

Gatrie
Growthrates (%)
Strength: 60
Magic: 5
Speed: 60
Luck: 30
Defense: 60
Resistance: 35
Affinity: light

Just look at his growths: 60% strength, defense and even speed (!!!). You really wished more knights would be as him, especially as fast.
His only „weaknesses“ are that he will miss some action in a few chapters because of his reduced movement and there are still a few better axe / lance users than him in the endgame.
7.5 / 10

Edited by Eleanor Hume

rolf is kind of tough to rank. like he has way more potential than someone like soren or rhys, but his bases are still really low compared to all the great greil mercs you have, so it's probably more convenient to ignore him than to train him. on the other hand it's not that hard to train him and he'll turn out great. marksman is a really great class, and even though he won't come close to say jill as far as pay off, it's definitely something. 7/10

boyd is frustrating. great weapon type, great strength growth, horrible speed base. like even the highly contested speedwing won't even help him here. that said, he isn't particularly hard to use, but like rolf the mercs really don't need him. part 4 is where he really comes to shine because his speed will finally catch up, but he would have been much more appreciated in part 3, where its just the mercs. and reaver boyd is much less impressive than marksman rolf. 5.5/10

oscar - by far the best of the brothers. the only thing holding him back are his caps. he wants to be promoted early because his tier 2 speed cap is bad, and his tier 3 speed cap stops him from being a great endgame choice (although being able to triangle attack dheg and lehran is pretty awesome). otherwise great unit. his mobility is appreciated, and his earth affinity means he and titania are unstoppable. 8/10

shinon - pretty great. i think people overrate him, because his lack of 1-range does make him feel a bit inefficient, but at the same time enemies aren't going to actually land hits on him, so that's pretty cool. as a marksman, he becomes a god, and double bow makes him a must-deploy unit (unless you babied rolf). part 4 shinon is 9.5/10, and part 3 shinon is 8/10 but part 3 is much longer, so going to go with 8.5/10

gatrie - holy shit, this guy is fast for a general, and unlike meg, he has the actual general stats (str, def) as well. his movement and caps are the only things holding him back which is super annoying. he really wants tormod's celerity, and the early master crown. unfortunately both are highly contested. if he gets those things, he's basically a 10/10 unit. even without those things, he's way more useful than guys like boyd or soren. just give him shinon's provoke, and he'll drain a lot of damage. endgame, bless him a brave lance and his speed is no problem (though useless without celerity). 9/10.

Edited by Radiant head

Rolf:

He's really pretty pointless since you have Shinon, however he can be pretty awesome if you put the time and effort into him. However, putting in that time and effort is difficult, perhaps a little too difficult to really make it worth it. It's all too easy to just stop using him in favor of Shinon.

6/10

Boyd:

There's not really much I can think of to say about Boyd. He's good, not bad, not great, not terrible. He's...he's fine, I guess. I've had success with him.

7/10

Oscar:

I'd say he's up there with Titania as one of the two best horse-mounted units in the game. Support him with Titania (who's maybe a tad bit better) for epicness!

8.5/10

Shinon:

Immediately, the very moment you get him, he's a great unit. There is no reason to not use him unless you really wanna try putting the effort into Rolf. He will annihilate mostly everything, and he'll dodge pretty much every attack. The only real mark against him is that he's not a melee combat unit, so Haar and Ike and some others overshadow him by a tiiiiiiiny bit.

9/10

Gatrie:

He's fast for his class, but when you have units like Titania, Oscar, Shinon, Ike, Boyd...meh. If you trained Brom enough, he'll be better when he rejoins and fill that knight spot, leaving Gatrie even further behind. To be honest I think people overrate him purely because he's a GM.

5/10

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

5.5/10 for Oscar. Paladins aren't the god class they were in Path of Radiance, and his strength and defense tend to be pretty iffy. Oh, and it doesn't help that his caps screw him over.

4/10 for Boyd. His speed base is ass, and his biorhythm wave is even worse. It doesn't help that out of all the axe users the Mercenaries get, he's the bottom of the barrel, nor does it that he's surrounded by good units. Long story short, he's more of the traditional fighter, and we all know how good they AREN'T.

6.5/10 for Rolf. His slow start hinders him, but when trained, he can surpass his brothers.

7.5/10 for Shinon. Amazing level and bases, but is hindered by his class.

7/10 for Gatrie. Awesome bases and growths, with a 60% speed growth among them, but his move can be a hindrance.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Rolf: This kid to me is one big "WHY?". Sure, he can be great as a Marksman, but why even bother with him the far superior Shinon has the exact same availability? Great unit in a vacuum, but in the end completely pointless. Don't like him as a character either so he gets no points for bias. 4.5/10

Boyd: This guy is kinda tough to use. He has hit issues (albeit not as bad as Kieran), but he's far from the most reliable of units. Also rather pointless when Titania is around. 5/10

Oscar: Now we're talking! One of the best mounted units in the game, although it's a shame their caps aren't that great. Still, a great unit that contributes a lot. 8/10

Shinon: Damn, this guy really got buffed from FE9. Usable from the moment he joins and can even dodge tank like a boss. Definitely your go-to bow user, not that the competition is by any means amazing. 9/10

Gatrie: Have you ever seen an armor knight that doubles so frequently? That alone makes Gatrie an amazing unit since he tanks AND doubles. Not the best to bring to Endgame, but still an amazing unit for as long as he's around. 8.5/10