Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I don't getcha. That's what I said.

No, you said his name was "super German", when it's not even an actual word in that language. It sounds German and uses the same phonetics, but is about as faux-German as you can get. I could see a non-native speaker giving himself that name to "sound cool" though.

• Replies 77.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

35 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Huh...that is random. His name is super German.

I'm pretty sure FE5's one finished fan translation was made during, as I once heard it described "the puberty of the Internet" which was also the puberty of the translators. I'm pretty sure a matured, professional translation wouldn't have Kempf calling Olwen a "bitch" either. 

Said translations of this era, like the j2e FFIV translation, as well as FE4 j2e, and the old fan translation of FE6 whose script is here on SF, all are more casual and irreverent than an actual official translation would be. Why? Maybe its the amateur talents of the translators, maybe it's because they were horny teenage boys, maybe they didn't actually care about nuanced translation and just wanted to have fun. Perhaps they were influenced by the ****ing terrible FFVII translation, which did have Barret throwing in *%@#s (censored swears, I kid you not) on multiple occasions. 

1 minute ago, Nanima said:

No, you said his name was "super German", when it's not even an actual word in that language. It sounds German and uses the same phonetics, but is about as faux-German as you can get. I could see a non-native speaker giving himself that name to "sound cool" though.

It is a German name though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kempf_(surname)

And even if it was made up, I think it'd still be German, because it's obviously using the phonetics of that language. Just like a made up name that uses obvious Katakana pronunciation would still be Japanese even if the creator invented it.

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

It is a German name though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kempf_(surname)

And even if it was made up, I think it'd still be German, because it's obviously using the phonetics of that language. Just like a made up name that uses obvious Katakana pronunciation would still be Japanese even if the creator invented it.

A surname, which is subjected to different spelling rules. It might be common to use last names as first names in America, but it's almost never done in Germany. So that's why, as a German, Kempf seems much more American to me, especially since a lot of Americans have German surnames they later recycle as first names. 

Although this argument is moot since Kempf is from a fictional place entirely.

11 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

It finally happened. I FINALLY did well enough in the Arena to get promoted to Great Summoner, so I finally got a crown. I finished in the Top 400, with a full +10 team of Marth, Valentine Lyn, Legendary Lyn, and Rebecca. This is the best I've ever done. I scoff at anyone who says Legendary Lyn is a bad unit, she freaking ROCKED against +10 Surtrs, and severely damaged AND survived against +10 Tikis. Rebecca was super handy as well and swept in for most of the knock outs, giving me all the bonus points I needed.

vmUaTew.jpg

g9rHzS8.jpg

oiWjBtO.jpg

Ayye congrats! That's an impressive +10 team with two Lyns~ Especially L!Lyn getting the love she DESERVES

1 hour ago, Nanima said:

A surname, which is subjected to different spelling rules. It might be common to use last names as first names in America, but it's almost never done in Germany. So that's why, as a German, Kempf seems much more American to me, especially since a lot of Americans have German surnames they later recycle as first names. 

Indeed. We also can't discount the possibility that Kempf actually is his surname. Or the fact that it's a Japanese creator translating a German name into Japanese Script and then being translated back into English. He likely could be called Kampf if Thracia gets a proper localisation of some sort (depending on how set in stone they consider the CYL names). Point is the name is clearly German, so if you're going to go meme joke on it that seems like the more obvious route to go down rather than spoofing Bandit Keith.

1 hour ago, Nanima said:

Oh the irony... The old joke actually wouldn''t be that out place considering that.

On the topic of Tracia I do think the game is unfairly snubbed despite not particularly wanting anything of them myself. 

Its true that Tracia is the least known and least played Fire Emblem game and this should definitely be taken into account. Its rather lackluster roster also makes good additions a bit harder to find. With this in mind its understandable and even somewhat fair that Tracia gets so little attention in Heroes. 

Getting little attention for being the least famous game is one thing, but being so starved for content that one single character has an alt collection the same size as that game's representation is quite another. It simply should never have gotten to that point. I find Tracia's roster lackluster but its not so starved for content that they needed to pull out alts this early. Mareeta is still a fine character with a decent amount of popularity and enough traits to win over newer player. Asvel's a very decent shota mage and Bridgett probably has more character in Tracia than in her home game. Even if IS is scared to take the risk they could at least put Sety on the banner to assure themselves it will get attention. 

50 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

On the topic of Tracia I do think the game is unfairly snubbed despite not particularly wanting anything of them myself. 

Its true that Tracia is the least known and least played Fire Emblem game and this should definitely be taken into account. Its rather lackluster roster also makes good additions a bit harder to find. With this in mind its understandable and even somewhat fair that Tracia gets so little attention in Heroes. 

Getting little attention for being the least famous game is one thing, but being so starved for content that one single character has an alt collection the same size as that game's representation is quite another. It simply should never have gotten to that point. I find Tracia's roster lackluster but its not so starved for content that they needed to pull out alts this early. Mareeta is still a fine character with a decent amount of popularity and enough traits to win over newer player. Asvel's a very decent shota mage and Bridgett probably has more character in Tracia than in her home game. Even if IS is scared to take the risk they could at least put Sety on the banner to assure themselves it will get attention. 

It’s also got a few female characters unique and alluring enough for waifu collecting purposes, like Lara and Linoan.

6 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

It’s also got a few female characters unique and alluring enough for waifu collecting purposes, like Lara and Linoan.

This sounds creepy considering that both Lara and Linoan are said to be 15.

Edited by Sunwoo

25 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

A lot of other girls like the Sacred Stone princesses, the Fates little sisters or Sumia can't be much older. Most characters the fandom considers ''waifu's'' are on the young side even if its usually in the 16-18 range. As far as I can tell Claire has more ''suitors'' than the more mature Matilda and that's not an exception.

I believe the favored age seems to be above the loli age but not quite the age of a mature woman either. So it may sounds creepy but also fairly believable. 

Its not entirely limited to female characters either. Leo and Takumi are almost certainly minors and I believe Marth's only an adult in New Mystery, not on Shadow Dragon. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

16 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

A lot of other girls like the Sacred Stone princesses, the Fates little sisters or Sumia can't be much older. Most characters the fandom considers ''waifu's'' are on the young side even if its usually in the 16-18 range. As far as I can tell Claire has more ''suitors'' than the more mature Matilda and that's not an exception.

I believe the favored age seems to be above the loli age but not quite the age of a mature woman either. So it may sounds creepy but also fairly believable. 

Its not entirely limited to female characters either. Leo and Takumi are almost certainly minors and I believe Marth's only an adult in New Mystery, not on Shadow Dragon. 

And I find all that rather creepy.

Well, in all fairness, if people who like characters in the 16-18 range are also in the same range, I suppose that's not quite as creepy. For example, if the majority of Takumi and Leo fangirls are within the 15-19 age range that's close enough to their presumed ages for it to not be so weird. Not to mention that a lot of characters do lack official ages.

However, I do find it more than slightly off-putting when people in their mid- to late-20s or older see 15, 16 year old characters as "waifu/husbando material".

7 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

And I find all that rather creepy.

Yup, but that's waifu culture for you. Its one of the reason I generally ignore it. Even if I paired Corrin with Flora I never particularly cared for her as ''my'' waifu and I don't see avatar's as extensions of myself either. 

I do believe that most characters in FE's increasingly younger casts are made to be conventionally attractive to appeal to a playerbase that's supposed to hover around that age. The problem with that a good chunk of Nintendo fans are likely older than Nintendo assumes or desires. Nintendo makes games for everyone but their game design to favor the young more, its just that nostalgia and a reputation of quality ensures the older fans stick around. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

1 hour ago, Sunwoo said:

I wasn’t aware of their exact age in the lore, although I’m not exactly surprised. That would probably be the case for a large chunk of the female cast, however. 

Guaranteed they are a much easier sell than someone like Selphina, or Amalda.

Besides, except when their age is mentioned, it is never so clear to me how old these characters are so there’s a certain leeway when it comes to the human player attributing an age to the characters.

48 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Yup, but that's waifu culture for you. Its one of the reason I generally ignore it. Even if I paired Corrin with Flora I never particularly cared for her as ''my'' waifu and I don't see avatar's as extensions of myself either. 

I do believe that most characters in FE's increasingly younger casts are made to be conventionally attractive to appeal to a playerbase that's supposed to hover around that age. The problem with that a good chunk of Nintendo fans are likely older than Nintendo assumes or desires. Nintendo makes games for everyone but their game design to favor the young more, its just that nostalgia and a reputation of quality ensures the older fans stick around. 

I think the gacha element of FEH specifically makes it feel creepier, since I imagine the majority of whales aren't necessarily young teenagers. Unless they have way too much disposable income or bad impulse control. There's just something about purposely making characters appealing to make people want to spend money to get them and to +10 them.

I wasn’t aware of their exact age in the lore, although I’m not exactly surprised. That would probably be the case for a large chunk of the female cast, however. 

Guaranteed they are a much easier sell than someone like Selphina, or Amalda.

Besides, except when their age is mentioned, it is never so clear to me how old these characters are so there’s a certain leeway when it comes to the human player attributing an age to the characters.

A lot of the playable Thracia characters apparently have canon ages, which can be found on SF proper, so I imagine it's not uncommon knowledge to people who have played Thracia at least. Plus, I think there are certain aspects in Lara's conversations that make it clear that not only is she young, but was forced to dance for older men as, well, "entertainment", so there's an extra creepy factor regarding her being considered a "waifu".

I'm also not sure why Amalda would be considered a hard sell. She'd be the second female sword cavalier after legendary Eirika if none are added before her, isn't canonically that old, and would still be considered "pretty". As long as they didn't give her, like, ruby sword and Mathilda or Titania-esque stats, she'd be fine.

4 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I'm also not sure why Amalda would be considered a hard sell. 

As a waifu figure. Older women are a harder sell.

Their class and the skills that will be attributed to them are different variables. 

Their class and the skills that will be attributed to them are different variables. 

I don't think 24 is that old, nor does she look very old in her official art. She could pass for early 20s. Like ... it feels too cynical even for me to think that someone in their mid-20s would be "too old" to sell in a gacha game, especially considering the amount of Camillas they like to pump out.

And yes, I know Camilla is Camilla and a bit of an odd case, but still.

I would be totally sold and characters like Amalda, sometimes I just feel its a shame that we only have a limited amount of characters like these, which I sometimes find strange in fire emblem, that the own army consists of many young characters and the enemies often consists older people.

Even Reina has something about her, maybe I am in the minority here. Guess this might be a downside for me on three houses, again we cannot expect many characters older than 18-20...

But I can only speak for myself here sadly. And I don't know how the fanbase would react truly overall to such characters.

Edited by Stroud

Realistically, building a banner around a decently popular character is the only way a Thracia banner could work, and Amalda's problem is she doesn't really have any ties to the few sellers Thracia has.

2 hours ago, Vince777 said:

FGO Tomoe Gozen and Scathach

It really really doesnt matter. You make a strong character with pretty arts and they rake cash hard and got fanarts drawn of them everywhere

If theres anything stopping Amalda from waifu power its her relative lack of relevance which actually is a big factod

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Popular Thracia characters yet to be added.

*Maretta

*Evyel

*Galzus

*Othin

*Asvel

*Sety

*Dagdar

*Lifis

*Linoan

*Salem

*Homeros

Potentially interesting Thracia characters that could be added.

*Ronan (res tank bow user)

*Tina (not sure how it could work but the Thief staff exists)

*Deen (Dragonpike would work as either a prf or inheritable weapon, severely nerfed if it's the latter)

*Xavier (most suitable Armoured Bow user we'll ever get from the cannon, could be a potential option for the Master Bow)

*Halvan (Master Axe candidate. Although given what happened to Finn, he'll probably just get the Brave Axe)

*Shannam (joke character, not sure how they can use him, but it'd be great. Maybe terrible stats but some ridiculously overpowered Special called Accidental Astra or something).

*Raydrik (prf Lopt Sword)

*Veld (prf Stone, yes the final bosses are better suited for the interest category than the popular one)

So yeah, while Thracia has some incredibly unnote worthy characters, it's pretty liberal use of prf weapons and exclusive classes and more esoteric stat lines means there's a pretty large pool of untapped potential for it in heroes. EVen most of the characters shared with Genealogy would be better off being Thracia characters for prf weapon access, like Sety or Blaggi Sword Delmud (since Leif isn't getting it and that other guy should get the Beo Sword).

Edited by Jotari

24 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Blaggi Sword Delmud (since Leif isn't getting it and that other guy should get the Beo Sword).

Why not Legendary Leif?

Diarmuid would seem kind of random as a user, honestly.

6 minutes ago, Othin said:

Why not Legendary Leif?

Diarmuid would seem kind of random as a user, honestly.

Four units can use the Blaggi sword, Leif, Nanna, Diarmuid and Fergus. Leif has the Light Brand, Nanna has the Earth Sword, and either Fergus or Diarmuid have the Beo Sword. I think giving Fergus the Beo Sword (to stay away from canon pairings and because Fergus has less gong for him since he's not a Genealogy character with known family members) makes more sense leaving Diarmuid as the only candidate for the Blaggi Sword by process of elimination (of course if the canon was right then Galzus and Mareeta should be able to use it too, and possibly Evyel? Her situation is weird).

Of course Legendary Leif is a possibility I didn't consider. Makes a tonne of sense. Only I reckon a Legendary Leif would have to be a mounted unit to play off of his Master Knight status. Would it be weird to give him a class from one game and a sword from a different game? Eh, no weirder than giving Ryoma a Kinshi and keeping his sword I suppose.

3 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

She'd be the second female sword cavalier after legendary Eirika if none are added before her, isn't canonically that old, and would still be considered "pretty". As long as they didn't give her, like, ruby sword and Mathilda or Titania-esque stats, she'd be fine.

Thinking on this in general, perhaps they can give Cecil the Lady Sword. That was unique and extremely powerful in FE3 (though 12 nerfed it), and there aren't many other contenders for it. Although it's effect- being effective on Barbarians/Bandits/Pirates/Thieves (brutish male classes) would be difficult to replicate, and unfortunately Ruby Sword is is able to sorta match this.

Also, Amalda for better or worse could easily be another Staff Cav.

2 minutes ago, Othin said:

Why not Legendary Leif?

The complicated thing is Legend Leif many would want to be based on Master Knight, and the cool thing about that is that it can use everything save Dark Magic. Sticking a Sword to him, unless it was really potent and creative in some way aligning the sheer versatility of MK, would seem to some like a disservice.

30 minutes ago, Jotari said:

So yeah, while Thracia has some incredibly unnote worthy characters, it's pretty liberal use of prf weapons and exclusive classes and more esoteric stat lines means there's a pretty large pool of untapped potential for it in heroes.

I'd add Perne, turning the King Sword into King Daggers and giving it a strong support effect would be neat.

And you forgot Lara the canon Thief (Dagger)-Dancer. Miranda could also expand the Red Tome Cav pool. Machyua could go female Axe Infantry.

Carrion could bring the Paragon Sword as an inheritable. Sword with Sword Valor + defensive buff (different from the Defender's).