• Replies 77k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

Well that Ephraim seems disappointing. Not as a unit himself, but the fact that now all the CYL winners excluding Veronica have oddly gotten an alt this month when they still have a CYL coming for them too. I suppose they had these planned out long in advance so it's just some really awkward timing.

Kinda hoping Camilla gets a Legendary or something now, since the CYL winners are getting to double up right on top of their CYL versions. Hopefully she gets to break out of just seasonal alts.

Also Marth is still getting shafted I suppose. If they were going for an older lord again as a legendary I was hoping it'd be him. 0 alts still for the OG lord. IS, come on bro.

Edited by Alkaid

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

Legendary alt for Alm when? The unholy trio of the worst lords must be complete. So annoyed with this legendary alt thing.

Is Alm really that bad? I mean he's not the most exciting but I felt he was more decent compare to Ephraim

Kind of amazing how the SS twins keep causing controversies with the release of their alts with unfortunate timing.

I might summon blue anyway because I need a mage flier (Camilla didn't want to come). For once, I'm actually hoping I don't get another Shiro, after the dupe LA banner pitybreaker.

Honestly with the legendary banners the only way I would pull a bunch from them would be a legendary Marth or H!Jakob.  At least this time I can use my orbs to try for Grima and Vector again.  I would rather have OCs or real legends as legendary heroes, Fjorm has at least one other sibling and Alfonse and Sharena's parents are both alive so they have more then one character that has been mentioned that could be a legendary hero.  I will do blue on my free pull if I can and skip the banner since I don't really need anyone on it.

2 minutes ago, mcsilas said:

Is Alm really that bad? I mean he's not the most exciting but I felt he was more decent compare to Ephraim

With SoV, he’s become as perfect and unerring as Ephraim. Celica is there only to fuck up and get rescued, like Eirika in her game.

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

With SoV, he’s become as perfect and unerring as Ephraim. Celica is there only to fuck up and get rescued, like Eirika in her game.

Alm? Perfect? I sincerely doubt that. I mean, combat wise, he is a great unit in Echoes, plus, he isn’t really a Mary Sue like Ephriam.

5 minutes ago, Poimagic said:

Alm? Perfect? I sincerely doubt that. I mean, combat wise, he is a great unit in Echoes, plus, he isn’t really a Mary Sue like Ephriam.

Where the actual fuck “combat wise” came from? Unlike some, I can separate unit from the character. I couldn’t care less about Ike, but it doesn’t make Aethering stuff less fun.

Alm goes against all the themes of his game. Duma’s ferocity vs. Mila’s compassion? Nah, he’s got it all. Merits before blood? Nah, he’s a prince. He never makes a mistake that matters (same as Ike and Ephraim before him).

He makes me intermittently yawn and rage.

Fair point. Every female in his route has to get saved, but I guess that's also because of RPG stories back in the day.

Yeah didn't really like the prince thing in the end either, but I felt the later acts were a bit of a mess anyway.

At least his personality is better than Ephraim for me

Well thanks to the Arena rewards, I finally got enough feathers to finalize my third +10 5* unit :

Spoiler

XrwyKgB.png

As long as she doesn't one-shot the opponent, she gets Galeforce. And thanks to Nowi being a bonus for the next season, I'll be able to use her alongside Lucina, Nino and Nowi in the arena. Good thing too since Alm is a bonus unit as well and Nowi might need help from another blue unit to deal with him. 

I wouldn't call either Ike or Ephraim Stus. RD Ike seems Stuish if you ignore PoR, but PoR exists and justifies a lot of what RD Ike gets. Also, in PoR, Ike does make mistakes and gets called out for them. Mistakes don't always have to result in big consequences. And flaws can be well represented without that too. Ike gets called out for his flaws at times, and he does mess up. He nearly costs Elincia any chance she has at getting her throne and he nearly costs himself an execution by Begnion, for crying out loud. And the only reason he wasn't executed was because Sanaki needed his services and understood why he behaved the way he did. Sometimes people are forgiving like that.

Ephraim's flaws aren't quite as well done as Ike's, I will admit that. He could've been handled better, which is why he's not on par with Ike as my favorite lord alongside him. But his attitude is done well, and he has a reckless and brash mindset that even Seth calls him out on. And Eirika falls into danger because she went off looking for him, which is kind of on him as well. He put himself in danger. I also just find Ephraim to be a badass, just as I find Ike. I also like them for being different from other lords. Ephraim is the only pure lance lord and Ike is the only lord not of noble or royal birth. They break tradition to some degree. Ephraim also has green hair instead of the more common blue. :P

Edited by Anacybele

It's true, before I knew anything about any pre-3DS characters I had already developed a leaning towards the Renais lords because of their hair colour. Shallow I know, but now even after I've played their game I don't mind them. I also quite dislike Alm's hairstyle so Ephraim > Alm.

As for their characters, I can definitely see where people are coming from when talking about flaws or lack thereof. On the other hand, I don't tend to judge video game characters in the same way I would a character in a film or novel. In a game, there is a greater expectation of being able to participate in the story and interact with it in a meaningful way, as opposed to just having a story told to you. FE doesn't really do this, so I find it hard to get meaningfully invested. As a result, I tend to hold some fairly superficial opinions like those about Ephraim and Alm above.

P.S. I definitely am biased against Lawful Good paladin types though.

1 minute ago, Humanoid said:

Eirika might have been Cyan but Ephraim is more Turquoise. This is a very important distinction.

Let's not make this into 50 Shades of Blue. Their relationship is already weird enough as it is.

Much better implementation than L!Ike tbh. Ike had the exact same weapon and movement type, 1 less CD on his special and slightly better stats. L!Ephraim on the other hand is pretty different compared to his original version.

Much better implementation than L!Ike tbh. Ike had the exact same weapon and movement type, 1 less CD on his special and slightly better stats. L!Ephraim on the other hand is pretty different compared to his original version.