• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

5 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Then why have I gotten different scores for keeping all my units alive on the same difficulty before? I'm pretty sure HP level is a factor.

Now that I think about it, I think Hana gets Life and Death and I do have her, but I still don't wish to use it because you guys keep talking about Marth's bulk, yet it lowers his def and res, I believe.

Because higher bulk is perfect for the negative effects of life and death

A plus res Jaffar has 25 defense and 25 resistance. Life and death brings that down to 20 each. Considering Jaffar never gets doubled, he can take on a lot of people without getting OhKo'd. Kind of like Life and death Lucina actually

But it's your choice Ana. Nobody is here to force you. You can do darting Blow if you feel like that's better for you

Spoiler

Even though it might not be

Spoiler

But it's your choice

Spoiler

You can always wait too :)

6 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Then why have I gotten different scores for keeping all my units alive on the same difficulty before? I'm pretty sure HP level is a factor.

Now that I think about it, I think Hana gets Life and Death and I do have her, but I still don't wish to use it because you guys keep talking about Marth's bulk, yet it lowers his def and res, I believe.

HP level is not a factor. There's a natural variation in the maximum amount of points you can get in a match. Every time you choose to spend a dueling sword, it tells you the minimum and maximum points you can get from a match at each difficultly level. 

The reason people use Fury is because the Arena, as it stands right now, is largely about one-rounding or one-hitting enemies and using positioning skills so that enemies can't attack you on their turn. Since Fury damage can't kill you, you can use Fury to bolster your SPD/DEF/RES enough to bait an enemy away from the rest of them and kill on the counter. It's also great for purposefully lowering HP for skills like Vantage and Desperation. It can also boost your unit's stats enough so that you can one-round too. For example, my Lucina is neutral spd. That's 36, which unfortunately doesn't double much right now. But, with Fury and the +1 speed seal, she hits 40, which is much better. I can depend on her to one-round enemies much more easily. Fury backlash is far better than leaving an enemy alive and having it do something. Falchion helps offset damage, and I have a dancer to help move my units around. Or, for example, my Nino. With Fury, she hits an awesome 49 ATK/42 SPD, which doubles most things. It also gives her a decent 36 (33+3 from a seal) HP/42 SPD/22 DEF/26 RES, meaning she can be used to bait non-brave archers and non-red mages fairly safely, kill them on the counter, and then have desperation active. Or, she can get into battle twice and have it active too. With her ranged damage, desperation, and a dancer, the Fury damage doesn't matter because she's always out of range for enemies (or she just kills them all.)

Fury isn't something that you can just slap onto units will-nilly though, but your view on the skill is very short-sighted (same with Life and Death.) I will admit that based on some of the units you've suggested, Fury probably isn't the best choice (you don't really have speedy glass cannons who can instantly take out the enemy.)

5 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Because higher bulk is perfect for the negative effects of life and death

The problem with that line of thinking is that you could've picked a less bulky unit with better offenses to begin with, and gave it Fury 3, and it'll end up better. L&D is always -5 to EHP per hit, whereas Fury is only -EHP after the 2nd round of combat.

Edited by DehNutCase

7 minutes ago, Bartozio said:

Arena score depends on the team you fight. When you pick your opponent, you can see the range of the score you get for winning right? You'll notice it is not always the same, even on the same difficulty. This is because different teams give a different score. The matchmaker will find a team in a certain range, not  an exact number.

Also, yes, Life and Death lowers Marths bulk, but gives him more attack and speed. More speed means he gets doubles less, which can mean less damage (also more kills, and dead enemies don't deal damage). It can also mean more damage it other cases though. Really dependent on the circumstances and what you want from him.

On arena score: I forgot about that, you're right. My bad.

I can't always guarantee less damage though. In fact, I pretty much never can. There's no way my characters won't take damage.

My Lucina has Darting Blow and Desperation, and while that leads to fewer wins overall, it lets her trample over fellow Sword users in the same Speed tier (Lyn, Eirika, other Lucinas, Ryoma etc.), which Fury does not, and at the same time doesn't hurt her bulk like Life and Death, even though L&D wins more Player Phase fights. I guess it's sort of a balance while also giving her extra utility compared to base. I'm fairly happy with it, and frankly grinding up a billion SP again is a pain in the ass lol.

8 minutes ago, GaleforceAbuse said:

The reason people use Fury is because the Arena, as it stands right now, is largely about one-rounding or one-hitting enemies and using positioning skills so that enemies can't attack you on their turn. Since Fury damage can't kill you, you can use Fury to bolster your SPD/DEF/RES enough to bait an enemy away from the rest of them and kill on the counter. It's also great for purposefully lowering HP for skills like Vantage and Desperation. It can also boost your unit's stats enough so that you can one-round too. For example, my Lucina is neutral spd. That's 36, which unfortunately doesn't double much right now. But, with Fury and the +1 speed seal, she hits 40, which is much better. I can depend on her to one-round enemies much more easily. Fury backlash is far better than leaving an enemy alive and having it do something. Falchion helps offset damage, and I have a dancer to help move my units around. Or, for example, my Nino. With Fury, she hits an awesome 49 ATK/42 SPD, which doubles most things. It also gives her a decent 36 (33+3 from a seal) HP/42 SPD/22 DEF/26 RES, meaning she can be used to bait non-brave archers and non-red mages fairly safely, kill them on the counter, and then have desperation active. Or, she can get into battle twice and have it active too. With her ranged damage, desperation, and a dancer, the Fury damage doesn't matter because she's always out of range for enemies (or she just kills them all.)

Fury isn't something that you can just slap onto units will-nilly though, but your view on the skill is very short-sighted (same with Life and Death.) I will admit that based on some of the units you've suggested, Fury probably isn't the best choice (you don't really have speedy glass cannons who can instantly take out the enemy.)

36 speed doesn't double much right now? I don't believe you. It won't double everything, but that's still a lot of speed and I see plenty of units with 30 or less speed.

I can't completely keep any of my units out of danger, though, so they will be killed in probably one hit after Fury damages them. I'm sorry, but I just don't trust it. At the very least, not with my skill level.

I have some fast characters. Sharena is pretty fast, and Hana is definitely speedy. Subaki and Palla also have nice speed.

Edited by Anacybele

3 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

My Lucina has Darting Blow and Desperation, and while that leads to fewer wins overall, it lets her trample over fellow Sword users in the same Speed tier (Lyn, Eirika, other Lucinas, Ryoma etc.), which Fury does not, and at the same time doesn't hurt her bulk like Life and Death, even though L&D wins more Player Phase fights. I guess it's sort of a balance while also giving her extra utility compared to base. I'm fairly happy with it, and frankly grinding up a billion SP again is a pain in the ass lol.

Main problem with Darting Blow is that L&D is actually a good defensive skill, whereas Darting does nothing defensively.

If you have the bulk to survive most 1HKOs then all you're worrying about is doubles, and L&D help with that.

That said, Lucina's good enough that slapping whatever on her works.

6 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Main problem with Darting Blow is that L&D is actually a good defensive skill, whereas Darting does nothing defensively.

If you have the bulk to survive most 1HKOs then all you're worrying about is doubles, and L&D help with that.

That said, Lucina's good enough that slapping whatever on her works.

It lets her survive Uber Nino, so I guess there is merit to it. Someday.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

Fury is very easy to underestimate. When I first saw it, I assumed it was horrible because of the painful-sounding drawback, but it turns out the stat boost can go a long way.

3 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Just looked up Odins stats cause I got my first one

Reveal hidden contents

*vomits*

Odin is great, what are you even talking about.

With a +2 buff to speed, Odin survives every possible 2 ranged unit with the proper build.

Kappa, no kappa. (I'm serious about his bulk, joking about his viability. His close-counter fuck everyone up build has the best coverage and bulk of all units, but takes a lot of support.)

Edited by DehNutCase

3 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

36 speed doesn't double much right now? I don't believe you. It won't double everything, but that's still a lot of speed and I see plenty of units with 30 or less speed.

I can't completely keep any of my units out of danger, though, so they will be killed in probably one hit after Fury damages them. I'm sorry, but I just don't trust it. At the very least, not with my skill level.

I have some fast characters. Sharena is pretty fast, and Hana is definitely speedy. Subaki and Palla also have nice speed.

In the Arena, I see a ton of red swordlords (except Roy) - Eirika, Ryoma, Lucina, even Marth. Lucina doesn't double any of those a neutral speed. With 40 Spd, she just barely doubles all of them except Lucina (actually, my Lucina is +1, since I got lucky on the princess banner, so that's actually 41 SPD.) With Fury, any sort of speed boost, merges, or +SPD natures (all of which are rather common), she fails to double them, and that's a problem since I don't have a solid swordlord answer right now (actually, I just slapped Swordbreaker on Lucina to get around that.) I also see a bunch of speedy mages - Tharja, Spring Lucina, Linde, and Nino. Granted, Lucina has trouble doubling all of those anyway (or really shouldn't be engaging them), but those are things that 36 speed fails to double. Heck, 36 speed fails to double (and thus one-round) neutral speed Takumi, though I usually have Nino kill him. There's also the occasional Sharena (that she shouldn't be fighting), Anna (which she borderline one-shots depending on buffs), etc. The point is, there are a lot of common heroes that hit 32 speed or above, so 36 isn't really enough to double a lot of the things you want it to.

What team do you commonly use for the Arena? The problem you might be running into is that your team isn't offensive enough. With how the game is now, you really can't afford to turtle and tank a bunch of enemy hits unless you have a very specialized defensive team. Some units, like Subaki (who can be made basically immune to swords), can do this sort of, if you're good at manipulating the AI to have him only engage red swords. From what I've seen, most effective teams either have 4 units that can steamroll over the enemy all at once, or they pack one bulky unit that can lure an enemy in and kill them off on the counter. That way, on the player phase, the rest of the team can steamroll over the remaining 3 members.

Sharena is also not that fast (look at the discussion above). Last season, when I was using her, one problem was that although she could tank swordlords, she couldn't one-round or one shot them, leaving an extra enemy to deal with. Swordbreaker helps fix that nicely. Palla has mediocre speed (looking at the Wiki, she has 31 speed at neutral and 34 at +.) Without the flier boosts, she's not really fast. Hana's offensively strong, but she needs to fix most of her skill set to be good, which it seems like you don't have the resources for.

5 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Odin is great, what are you even talking about.

With a +2 buff to speed, Odin survives every possible 2 ranged unit with the proper build.

Kappa, no kappa. (I'm serious about his bulk, joking about his viability. His close-counter fuck everyone up build has the best coverage and bulk of all units, but takes a lot of support.)

What build are you talking about? 

5 minutes ago, GaleforceAbuse said:

What team do you commonly use for the Arena?

I don't have one. I've been switching a lot trying to find a team that consistently works. But I've been experimenting with 5 star Frederick and Marth, 4 star male Robin, female Robin, Palla, Sharena, and Sakura, and also now my 5 star Klein. But I've only used him once so far since I only finished leveling him to 40 a little while ago. He could do nothing though, and only died.

It would help if I had a good dancer like Azura to try...

Edited by Anacybele

8 minutes ago, Othin said:

Fury is very easy to underestimate. When I first saw it, I assumed it was horrible because of the painful-sounding drawback, but it turns out the stat boost can go a long way.

I think part of it was because it was on units who weren't that great in combat to begin with like Jagen and Hinata, so the -6 HP just made it feel even worse.

1 minute ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I think part of it was because it was on units who weren't that great in combat to begin with like Jagen and Hinata, so the -6 HP just made it feel even worse.

Then you put it on young Children named Nino and you think it's all sweet

Spoiler

Then she 1 rounds your Lucina

Spoiler

Then it becomes rated M >:]

2 minutes ago, GaleforceAbuse said:

What build are you talking about? 

Turns out you needed +3 speed to survive +1 speed seal variants, but Odin face-tanks every single unbuffed unit that doesn't user B-Tomebreaker. (He does have losing matchups if B-Tomebreaker comes into play).

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

I don't have one. I've been switching a lot trying to find a team that consistently works. But I've been experimenting with 5 star Frederick and Marth, 4 star male Robin, female Robin, Palla, Sharena, and Sakura, and also now my 5 star Klein. But I've only used him once so far since I only finished leveling him to 40 a little while ago. He could do nothing though, and only died.

Sorry, but if that's what you're getting out of Klein, you're not using him right. Get an Olivia from the free daily rotations, get her to 4* for Hone Atk 3. Move her next to Klein and be amazed (Klein will have 48 Atk when initiating, which one-rounds every notable swordlord other than Marth.) He's also a great solution to mages since you can just blow them up before they become a problem. Use Olivia to keep Klein out of danger. You could even give Klein Draw Back, Swap or Reposition to help him keep Olivia safe. Also, do some more math to figure out what enemies you can safely take a hit from and what you can't.

2 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

Turns out you needed +3 speed to survive +1 speed seal variants, but Odin face-tanks every single unbuffed unit that doesn't user B-Tomebreaker. (He does have losing matchups if B-Tomebreaker comes into play).

That's kinda cool...but it doesn't seem all that useful. His offense is just so bad, and it's difficult for him to capitalize on the opportunity he created by baiting an enemy. And enemies not having buffs isn't that realistic.

3 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Skill inheritance was a mistake

Eh, I'm fine it. I'll actually have an excuse to run Aether on Selena once I finalize my build, too.

33spd/29 def is totally fair stats when you're grinding on level 20 units, what are you talking about.

Edit:

2 minutes ago, GaleforceAbuse said:

That's kinda cool...but it doesn't seem all that useful. His offense is just so bad, and it's difficult for him to capitalize on the opportunity he created by baiting an enemy. And enemies not having buffs isn't that realistic.

If enemies have buffs, he has buffs. Odin has a _Blade tome.

Edited by DehNutCase

6 minutes ago, GaleforceAbuse said:

Sorry, but if that's what you're getting out of Klein, you're not using him right. Get an Olivia from the free daily rotations, get her to 4* for Hone Atk 3. Move her next to Klein and be amazed (Klein will have 48 Atk when initiating, which one-rounds every notable swordlord other than Marth.) He's also a great solution to mages since you can just blow them up before they become a problem. Use Olivia to keep Klein out of danger. You could even give Klein Draw Back, Swap or Reposition to help him keep Olivia safe. Also, do some more math to figure out what enemies you can safely take a hit from and what you can't.

Again with fucking Olivia? Why do people keep telling me to use her? All she does is die too. Especially mine because she's -spd and gets doubled by everything. No, I'm not putting her in the front lines, mages and archers kill her. I'm through using her for anything but training tower help, so no, she is not going on any of my arena teams. I'm not wasting feathers on a 2 star one either and she's not even available as a hero battle today. If I want a dancer, I'll wait until I pull an Azura. She's the only one that seems worth it to me.

Also, I'm not sure how I'd even fit a dancer on my teams. I need Frederick for armors, Marth for dragons, and male Robin for Takumis and other archers that are a threat. Klein is my newest switch-in for the fourth member.

I already gave Klein Swap, but he doesn't have enough SP for it yet.

I'm not good enough at math to use it. So I don't use it.

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, DehNutCase said:

Eh, I'm fine it. I'll actually have an excuse to run Aether on Selena once I finalize my build, too.

33spd/29 def is totally fair stats when you're grinding on level 20 units, what are you talking about.

I'm sure a lot of people are having a ton of fun coming up with the most disgusting builds out there, but I've never really been fond of "build-your-monster" mechanics, since I just prefer making do with what I have and get.

Just now, Anacybele said:

Again with fucking Olivia? Why do people keep telling me to use her? All she does is die too. Especially mine because she's -spd and gets doubled by everything. No, I'm not putting her in the front lines, mages and archers kill her. I'm through using her for anything but training tower help, so no, she is not going on any of my arena teams. I'm not wasting feathers on a 2 star one either and she's not even available as a hero battle today.

I already gave Klein Swap, but he doesn't have enough SP for it yet.

I'm not good enough at math to use it. So I don't use it.

I don't really understand how you manage to put Olivia in the line of fire. The maps may be small, but when you have your Frederick and Marth out in front, Olivia and Klein never really have to be in the frontlines. It's pretty much the same thing in other FE games, isn't it?

@Anacybele cause Olivia is a affordable dancer, and if you know what you're doing and don't get her killed you can wipe teams off the face of the Earth

That's why I like her anyway :)

Edited by Arcanite