Fire Emblem Heroes General Discussion and Links

eclipse

1 minute ago, Kaden said:

Personally, I consider myself barely fluent or literate in any of the languages I know.

What is barely fluent? Can you hold conversations with native speakers or survive in that country if you were dumped there all of a sudden?

• Replies 77.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vaximillian

• Anacybele

• Ice Dragon

• Othin

12 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I see. Well, it's already getting there maybe.

discourse-monger-unkawaiipigdog-2007-lan

My English is not free until the grammar Nazis surrender completely one day, so I can type lik dis n not wory bout how it impax m'job n rep.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The Lingua Franca is the Lingua Omnipotentia. Hence in the future, the Lingua Franca will be Lingua Sino-however-you-Italinize-it. The Asians here are actually time travelers from that day in the future, secretly boasting about that day to come.

As a native English language speaker, regardless of what my skin color is, my loyalty is to my mother tongue English. Uniting the world under English will be easier to achieve than any other language since it is already so widespread.

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Those who have watched Firefly know that in the future, it is actually Chinese will dominate the galaxy.

I refuse to believe that my beloved English and our rising interracial population will be dominated by any "pure bred" humans.

3 minutes ago, Kaden said:

As someone who had to deal with 4 to kind of 5 different languages growing up, chaos is not fun. Both parents spoke Vietnamese and of course, English since that's the official language of the US. Primarily Vietnamese since they're old and English was more of when they're out and interacting with Americans. Dad spoke Vietnamese and sometimes inserted French words if he didn't know them in English or if Vietnamese didn't have a word for it while mom spoke Cantonese and occasionally used Mandarin which my maternal uncle was more proficient in since he volunteers are Buddhist temples a lot.

Personally, I consider myself barely fluent or literate in any of the languages I know.

Once English is free from rules, your English is just as valid as any other English as long as it is understandable to most people.

54 minutes ago, Oboro! said:

Today I learned that my theory, everyone on Serenes Forest is Asian except for me, is correct.

Just a lonely robot~

Geographically speaking, even I am Asian! Not bad, not bad.

Also I might pretty much be the only one here who speaks Russian.

26 minutes ago, GuiltyLove said:

they're all bad

i hate puns

dont get me started or else i will seriously derail this thread

That's remind me of one bear character in a video game that I played recently.

If you select him and use the joke option, he says:

Um... I suppose you were expecting some unbearable puns.

Just now, Nym said:

That's remind me of one bear character in a video game that I played recently.

If you select him and use the joke option, he says:

Um... I suppose you were expecting some unbearable puns.

the only halfway decent puns are ones for char names like in ace attorney or bravely default/second

everything else is just bad

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

My favorite is I'm'na, which is short for "I am going to".

ah yes, another classic. and then d'j'eat? (did you eat?) and na'd'j'ya? (nah, did you?)

6 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I've heard of "y'all" existing since like, the 70s or 80s? But I didn't know they also slapped on "d've"....

it's been here. i think on the internet we were shamed out of revealing the wonder of y'all'd've (i even got shamed in my hometown for y'alling by my Northerner friend. but now he's been converted to y'allism) but now it's cool for some reason.

7 minutes ago, GuiltyLove said:

wtf

r u a product of incest

is that what they do there

i srsly have no idea. thats all i know about that culture

the people in the trailer park down the street might be. my family was not really a "Southern" one but basically the culture is smoking the meth, drinking the crack, and going out and shooting your gun into the woods for no reason

Just now, GuiltyLove said:

the only halfway decent puns are ones for char names like in ace attorney or bravely default/second

everything else is just bad

I guess you could say that those puns are bearely good, eh?

13 minutes ago, GuiltyLove said:

What is more cancerous: the Emoji Movie or Horse Emblem?

We'll need to do full body searches of the horses and their riders alike in order to determine the presence of tumors and or carcinogens. We will begin our examination with colonoscopies, and first up is Shockstick- Reinhardt's trusty stallion who garners a stud high price. *Places latex gloves on*

As for the Emoji Movie: ? ???????☠️

Ah yes, Madame Goldiga- surely she can't be suspect in her husband's murder.

20 minutes ago, XRay said:

There is no such thing as too much corn. It is my favorite food.

That is true, but I prefer English to revert to its fun whimsy back in the past and screw the rules. I want English to be free.

No, it is not. We are still talking about Heroes. Heroes has many language settings, so talking about languages is completely justified.

Laughing at me is one thing, but it is messed up to pick on a poor language who cannot even fight back. English is beautiful, no matter what naysayers say. In the future, English will dominate the globe and we will see who has the last laugh!

Thanks buddy!

I was talking about a bit earlier than the language discussion :p

43 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

They actually teach IPA or something? I know there are phonics classes, but I don't think I've heard of people learning how to read IPA in school. Chinese pinyin is mandatory though, pretty sure.

37 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Not really. Pinyin is standard school curriculum for Chinese. IPA is not standard school curriculum for English. Any school-educated Chinese speaker should be able to look at pinyin and know how it's read. Most school-educated English speakers would look at IPA and butcher it about as much as a non-native speaker butchers English.

That's more a matter of the education system than the language itself, though. The US public school system doesn't teach IPA (unless you specifically decide to take one in college or something), but the fact that the education system doesn't teach it isn't really related to the language itself. That is, I'm not subtracting points from English---or giving points to Chinese---for their countries being more relaxed or more thorough about teaching their own language.

For me, both English and Chinese have an extraneous 'pronunciation guide' that needs to be learned alongside the language itself if you want to pronounce it properly, the fact that China teaches it but the US doesn't isn't really the fault of the languages themselves.

2 minutes ago, wizzard of soz said:

ah yes, another classic. and then d'j'eat? (did you eat?) and na'd'j'ya? (nah, did you?)

it's been here. i think on the internet we were shamed out of revealing the wonder of y'all'd've (i even got shamed in my hometown for y'alling by my Northerner friend. but now he's been converted to y'allism) but now it's cool for some reason.

the people in the trailer park down the street might be. my family was not really a "Southern" one but basically the culture is smoking the meth, drinking the crack, and going out and shooting your gun into the woods for no reason

I also like "I'unno" short for "I do not know".

14 minutes ago, Kaden said:

Hello, I am a jaguar. Expect 3 different pronunciations with possibly variances because of differing dialects and accents in different regions.

English doesn't really need a standard pronunciation for a character. Well, it could, but if the damn language had at least one accent to denote that a different pronunciation was used, then maybe it would be bit better.

English has one standard diacritic that isn't word-specific: the grave accent on an e indicating it is to be pronounced. Most commonly seen in Shakespeare's plays due to the need to maintain meter.

By word-specific, I mean the optional diacritics on words like naive (naïve) and facade (façade).

14 minutes ago, Kaden said:

Both parents spoke Vietnamese and of course, English since that's the official language of the US.

Interestingly enough, the United States does not actually have an official language. A country having an official language indicates that legal documents from that country are required to be written in that language and if translated, the version in the official language is the source of truth.

There have been attempts to make English the official language here, but those attempts are usually blocked due to the fact that the U.S. has a lot of migrant workers from Mexico (also immigrants from other countries) and forcing legal documents to be in English would make it easy to exploit them.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Just now, unique said:

what's the pun here i don't get it

I was talking about a bear character in a video game

there is nothing to get about puns

they r all bad

Just like my Catria right now