"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

9 minutes ago, Liliesgrace said:

Just to clarify, Hrid only automatically doubles via his weapon if the foe he’s currently facing has a debuff active or restriction on movement or counterattack correct? 

Yes. Hrid basically has a Weaponbreaker skill that activates if the opponent has any penalty active (instead of having a specific weapon type).

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+HP/-Res; +Res/-HP; +Res/-Atk

What boon/bane combo for Hrìd? He'll probably end up my first cav team, was thinking about Hrìd+Blyn+SpringCatria+either Groom Marth or Cecilia

@Ice Dragon Interesting to know about Null follow-up, thanks! 

If we keep getting this kind of skills, we'll need a spreadsheet to know which skill X cancels skill Y under Z conditions. 

I tried a little with Hrid and Gjoll doesn't do anything against Swordbreaker if Hrid's SPD is 5 lower than Ike's. If the difference in SPD is less than 5, Gjoll and Swordbreaker cancel each other out. 

With Vengeful Fighter it's different though! If M!Grima is 5 faster than Hrid, both deal 2 hits on Hrids PP. If the difference in SPD is less than 5, Hrid deals 2 hits and Grima only one! 

I'm not checking the other Fighter skills today. 

1 minute ago, mampfoid said:

I tried a little with Hrid and Gjoll doesn't do anything against Swordbreaker if Hrid's SPD is 5 lower than Ike's. If the difference in SPD is less than 5, Gjoll and Swordbreaker cancel each other out. 

With Vengeful Fighter it's different though! If M!Grima is 5 faster than Hrid, both deal 2 hits on Hrids PP. If the difference in SPD is less than 5, Hrid deals 2 hits and Grima only one! 

I'm not checking the other Fighter skills today. 

All effects that grant a guaranteed follow-up cancel out exactly one effect that prevents a follow-up.

Being 5 Spd higher than the opponent counts as giving you a guaranteed follow-up, but does not count as preventing the opponent's follow-up.

If you have at least one effect that guarantees a follow-up left over after all cancellations are done (including being 5 Spd higher than your opponent), you perform a follow-up.

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

All effects that grant a guaranteed follow-up cancel out exactly one effect that prevents a follow-up.

Being 5 Spd higher than the opponent counts as giving you a guaranteed follow-up, but does not count as preventing the opponent's follow-up.

If you have at least one effect that guarantees a follow-up left over after all cancellations are done (including being 5 Spd higher than your opponent), you perform a follow-up.

Ok, makes sense. Vengeful doesn't prevent follow-ups. 

I also found out that it's enough to have panic effect applied. Gjoll doesn't necessarily need to have a negated buff on the opponent. 

17 hours ago, daisy jane said:

what's the better Bow Lucina
+hp/-res or +res/-def

either she blows up magically or she blows up physically. LOL

I lean towards [+HP, -Res]. The +HP increases her physical bulk and it somewhat offsets her -Res.

13 hours ago, Liliesgrace said:

So I got very blessed with pulling for my Ice Prince, and I ended up with three pretty good boon/bane combos I believe. I was wanting some advice on which one to keep in regards to how he'll be used.

I have:

+ATK/-RES, +DEF/-SPD, +DEF/-RES

His use:

Pretty sure I want to go with him being a baiter with DC being so useful and had planned to give him Aether, along with Renewal for increased sustainability for TT+ and QR 3 to double. Not planning on Arena use. Will probably also stick Heavy Blade SS on his as well for TT+ or ATK/DEF Bond. Basically want to have him tank enemies he baits, be able to heal if necessary, and obliterate in response.

I would go with +Atk to increase his damage output. I do not think increasing his bulk is necessary since he is not going to be hit more than once per round. Even with -Res, he got 63 magical bulk. He is not likely to get killed unless he is facing Brave, one shot, or Bold Fighter nukes.

8 hours ago, Granny said:

Oh ok, thanks. Then I'll give it to Shigure or maybe Azura. Tana might be a candidate but I guess she is better off with her own weapon?

This made me notice that I don't have a lot of player phase lance users. 

It depends on what you need Tana to do. Many units can specialize in Player Phase, Enemy Phase, or mixed phase sets. Each type of set require a different combination of skills.

4 hours ago, Cute Chao said:

I pulled a second Legendary Ryoma and I plan to merge into the current one. However, I can't decide which base is better. I was lucky enough to get two +Spds. My current one is +Spd -Def. My new one is +Spd -Res. I tend to play counter, where I let the enemy come to me rather than going at them. Which one is best? I tend to use him on a flier team with some other flier boys, so no mages currently, but that does include Summer Takumi. 

If you do not face a lot of mages, I would go with -Res.

12 hours ago, SuperNova125 said:

Leavatain will run wrath when I get another one from a nephene or something, or special spiral if I get a bad natured Lewyn. Now one last question, what are some good B skills for Leavatain?

If you want to spam Specials, Wrath is a poor choice for that since it requires a very specific set up and Special Spiral is much better for Spamming.
+Atk/Spd, -Res
Laevatein
Reposition — (Any Assist)
Moonbow — Glimmer
Life and Death — Death Blow
Special Spiral
(Any C)
Attack +3 — Brazen Atk/Res — Hardy Bearing

If you want to spam Specials with Wrath, it requires:
Slaying Weapon
Moonbow
Wrath
Special spamming with Wrath only works once per turn, unlike Special Spiral which can work for every single round of combat.

4 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

I also found out that it's enough to have panic effect applied. Gjoll doesn't necessarily need to have a negated buff on the opponent. 

Panic itself is a debuff. Gjoll should work on Flash and Gravity, too.

Edited by Ice Dragon

2 minutes ago, XRay said:

If you do not face a lot of mages, I would go with -Res.

Whoops, I meant I don't have any mages in my flying squad due to it being all male. 

That being said, neither he nor Takumi have great res >.< Probably best to keep the def as high as possible and avoid mages :) 

Thanks ^.^

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Panic itself is a debuff. Gjoll should work on Flash and Gravity, too.

Without buffs panic doesn't do anything, I wasn't sure it worked that way. Makes me reconsider Cherches special refinement for Arena once again. 

5 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

Without buffs panic doesn't do anything,

Are you talking about its interaction with Gjoll or just the fact that Panic with no buffs is otherwise functionally the same as no Panic at all?

EDIT: The Japanese skill description lists the Panic status effect as sufficient to activate Gjoll without the need for accompanying reversed buffs.

I also forgot Trilemma exists. It also activates Gjoll.

Edited by Ice Dragon

37 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Are you talking about its interaction with Gjoll or just the fact that Panic with no buffs is otherwise functionally the same as no Panic at all?

Yeah sorry. Panic without buffs doesn't have any effect apart from activating Gjöll. 

41 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

EDIT: The Japanese skill description lists the Panic status effect as sufficient to activate Gjoll without the need for accompanying reversed buffs.

The English translation speaks also about panic: "If a penalty inflicted by a skill like Panic or Threaten and/or a negative status effect [...]" (see below). I wasn't sure if Panic was considered a penalty when no buffs are applied. 

Spoiler

xRY2emA.png

7 minutes ago, mampfoid said:

The English translation speaks also about panic: "If a penalty inflicted by a skill like Panic or Threaten and/or a negative status effect [...]" (see below). I wasn't sure if Panic was considered a penalty when no buffs are applied. 

Yeah, the Japanese text is ridiculously precise:

If foe is inflicted with a negative status effect, unit makes a guaranteed follow-up attack and foe cannot. (Negative status effect: Effects with "through foe's next action" including penalties, movement range restriction, Panic, inability to counterattack, and increased weapon triangle affinity.)

Edited by Ice Dragon

2 hours ago, Koumal8 said:

What boon/bane combo for Hrìd? He'll probably end up my first cav team, was thinking about Hrìd+Blyn+SpringCatria+either Groom Marth or Cecilia

i went with the best combo i had available for Hrid: +HP/-SPD, everything else was either +SPD or -Atk or -HP or -Def

Now what i want is actually +RES/-SPD or +Atk/-Spd. His SPD is not salvagable and he will get doubled left and right anyway without a debuff active. +RES for better Dragon/mage matchup/baiting. +Atk for overall better performance.

28 minutes ago, Hilda said:

i went with the best combo i had available for Hrid: +HP/-SPD, everything else was either +SPD or -Atk or -HP or -Def

Now what i want is actually +RES/-SPD or +Atk/-Spd. His SPD is not salvagable and he will get doubled left and right anyway without a debuff active. +RES for better Dragon/mage matchup/baiting. +Atk for overall better performance.

Uhmm... ok but I don't have any of those combinations XD I pulled +HP/-Res; +Res/-HP; +Res/-Atk, what would you say is best? The other two will be most likely be DC fodder

44 minutes ago, Hilda said:

Not sure if you saw me quote you earlier, but what build do you have in mind for +Res/-Spd? That's what I got, and I quickly warmed up to the idea of him being a hardy mixed phase unit. In particular, I've been mulling over different ideas for Special, Seal, and C slot, but I'm always a wary investor with SI

36 minutes ago, Johann said:

Not sure if you saw me quote you earlier, but what build do you have in mind for +Res/-Spd? That's what I got, and I quickly warmed up to the idea of him being a hardy mixed phase unit. In particular, I've been mulling over different ideas for Special, Seal, and C slot, but I'm always a wary investor with SI

I think his base kit is pretty solid. Currently I am running him with Aether and Heavy Blade seal and his base kit. But you can bolster up his ranged defense with Distant Def seal.

If you arent using Heavy Blade seal as his sacred seal i would switch his Special to Moonbow and then slap Fortress Res seal if you want additional bulk against dragons too. really all depends what you want him to do

As for Teammates.
Soren, Veronica, Aversa, Arvis etc. basicly units that have good ploy capabilities, or can safely apply debuffs are his best friends

Edited by Hilda

51 minutes ago, Koumal8 said:

Uhmm... ok but I don't have any of those combinations XD I pulled +HP/-Res; +Res/-HP; +Res/-Atk, what would you say is best? The other two will be most likely be DC fodder

I would go here with +HP/-Res, his physical bulk doesnt suffer and his atk power doesnt suffer. Only his magical bulk suffers, and thats only if he gets doubled (otherwise it basicly stays the same).

4 hours ago, Koumal8 said:

[+Res, -HP] if you see yourself using him as a mixed tank.

[+HP, -Res] if you want to use him as a physical tank.

@XRay Thanks for the input. For Ryoma I'm definitely going L&D if I ever get a couple Sothes since he's already +atk/-res, so Firesweep, L&D, HB, Moonbow seems like his best bet to take advantage of Bushido. For Laev I'm just gonna raise both and then see which I like better. If I were building a team around tactics buffs or something, I'd be more inclined to go with the +atk one, but that's unlikely, and like you said, getting doubled is an issue.

Also, is it just me or is Bushido another skill that seems better on paper than in practice? It eats up Ryoma's B slot, so he can't do something like Wo Dao/Desperation/HB to stack damage or Slaying Edge/Desperation/HB to get off a 3 charge special, and his bulk isn't exactly great so I don't know how much he actually wants to be taking counters. It also doesn't have the cooldown reduction like Wrath so he can't run basically 0 cooldown specials like infantry units (and technically armors, but BF). It's not terrible by any means, and Firesweep/L&D/HB lets him proc it every round semi-reliably, but as a whole, the skill seems a lot more limited than it looks on first appearances.

6 hours ago, bottlegnomes said:

Also, is it just me or is Bushido another skill that seems better on paper than in practice? It eats up Ryoma's B slot, so he can't do something like Wo Dao/Desperation/HB to stack damage or Slaying Edge/Desperation/HB to get off a 3 charge special, and his bulk isn't exactly great so I don't know how much he actually wants to be taking counters. It also doesn't have the cooldown reduction like Wrath so he can't run basically 0 cooldown specials like infantry units (and technically armors, but BF). It's not terrible by any means, and Firesweep/L&D/HB lets him proc it every round semi-reliably, but as a whole, the skill seems a lot more limited than it looks on first appearances.

In Arena and Arena Assault, where you're only expected to fight maybe one or two round of combat per map, you don't really need all that much bulk or sustain to get by.

Bushido is pretty much the next best thing to Wrath since Wrath can't be learned by fliers, and it shines on his Firesweep set, which is pretty much his best set.

Got Helbindi off my free roll on this new voting gauntlet banner. But he came up +speed -HP which i'm going to take a guess is just the absolute worst for him... Or is this somehow salvagable? I think this is to spite me for pulling 2 bow Lucina's in a single summon ring yesterday.

Come to think of it, all the muspell units I summoned have garbage IV's...

Edited by Faellin

49 minutes ago, Faellin said:

Got Helbindi off my free roll on this new voting gauntlet banner. But he came up +speed -HP which i'm going to take a guess is just the absolute worst for him... Or is this somehow salvagable? I think this is to spite me for pulling 2 bow Lucina's in a single summon ring yesterday.

If you still want him to contribute instead of sitting on the bench, you just need to give him Glimmer, Triangle Adept, and Lancebreaker and he will be fine in Arena Assault.

Edited by XRay

2 hours ago, Faellin said:

Come to think of it, all the muspell units I summoned have garbage IV's...

It doesn't hinder his Atk, Def, or Res stats, which are the most important to him, so it's pretty much similar to neutral. Due to his low Spd, -HP is less of a hindrance than -Def or -Res would have been.