"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

On 10/21/2023 at 8:59 PM, Ice Dragon said:

Null Follow-Up nullifies "effects that guarantee foe's follow-up attacks" and "effects that prevent unit's follow-up attacks".

Mareeta's Null Follow-Up is nullifying Brash Assault's guaranteed follow-up. Nullifying a guaranteed follow-up is not the same as follow-up prevention, and so your own Null Follow-Up does nothing to stop this effect.

"Effects that prevent unit's follow-up attacks" refers specifically to the effect that is worded "[unit / foe] cannot make a follow-up attack" and to no other effect.

I feel like this should not be the way i works, it just makes NFU useless, no? But thanks for explaining, i wasn't aware this weird details were a thing. So bitter now that I know i just wasted my orbs on that summer shamir.

Is Gambit worth using along side Galeforce? Would a slaying effect weapon be a bad mix with those two? like:

arcane/slaying weapon

dance

galeforce

DC AS solo

Gambit

???? (time's pulse? some smoke skill?)

I just had a thought to try to build an infantry galeforcer and i dont really have any experience with them specifically.

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

Imagine if the next Attuned Hero pair we get come with Fury 2 and Alarm Atk Echo or something xD

So my previous response had me thinking of which units would even want what Echo skills as optimal picks. A lot of these aren't really that straightforward.

So the Blow Echo series are pretty simple. They give a smaller stat boost than Oath, Pledge, Rouse, and Alarm and don't have a secondary effect, but the stat boost stacks with similar effects. Any purely player-phase unit will probably want to run either Death Blow Echo or Darting Blow Echo depending on which stat is more important to it. The hypothetical Armored Blow Echo and Warding Blow Echo are completely useless for the same reason why their A versions were useless even back when we still only had single-stat A skills. There's never really a situation where an extra 4 points in Def or Res is going to be better than an extra 4 points in Atk or Spd on a player-phase unit.

Unlike the Blow Echo series, a hypothetical Stance Echo series would have all four of its variants viable on at least someone, as each stat has at least one enemy-phase unit in the game that prefers it over the other stats.

The Oath Echo series is more complicated for a few reasons. The first is that Oath 4 and Pledge grant both the +6 stat bonus as well as a +3 in-combat stat boost, whereas Oath Echo only grants the +6 stat bonus. This means that it's always more optimal to run the unit's two highest-priority stats in the C slot and the third-highest-priority stat in the X slot. The second is that Oath Echo grants the Formation teleportation effect, which overlaps with Oath 4, and that means it's never optimal to run Oath in both the C and X slots unless that's the only option.

On infantry units, you're pretty much always going to want to run Atk/* Pledge with either Def Oath Echo or Res Oath Echo because there are very few units where Atk is not their first- or second-most prioritized stat. The only time Atk Oath Echo or Spd Oath Echo will ever be optimal will be on units that are unable to run Pledge in their C slot, namely units running Infantry Pulse 4, Time's Pulse, Def/Res Smoke 3, Ploy, etc.

Fliers have an easier sell on Atk Oath Echo and Spd Oath Echo since most of them optimally run Rein or Rein Snap in their C slot and therefore won't overlap with either of Oath Echo's effects. However, since Oath 4 grants only 1 point less in each stat compared to Rein, it's entirely reasonable to run Oath 4 + Oath Echo on a flier in order to not have to rely on teammates to grant stat bonuses, in which case you're going to run Atk/* Oath 4 with either Def Oath Echo or Res Oath Echo, just like with infantry.

A hypothetical Pledge Echo and Alarm Echo series have the same considerations as Oath Echo.

A hypothetical Rouse Echo will depend on exactly how it's implemented. It's dead on arrival if its condition is the same as Rouse 4, but will be viable if its condition is changed to match Alarm. Assuming the latter, the main complication with Rouse Echo is the fact that Rouse 4 is an awful skill due to lacking an in-combat stat boost and having a shitty condition. This means that melee cavalry are always going to optimally run Alarm Atk/* with either Rouse Def Echo or Rouse Res Echo, just like infantry with Pledge and Oath Echo. Ranged cavalry don't have access to Alarm and therefore will probably run either Rouse Atk Echo or Rouse Spd Echo with some other C skill (like Smoke 4 or Ploy 4) or run Rouse Atk Echo with Spd/Def Menace or Spd/Res Menace.

A hypothetical Fury Echo would be rather underwhelming. The biggest issue is that Fury itself is not a skill that is in high demand. Units that want all four stats are always fast and therefore would always prefer a larger boost to Spd over a boost in all other stats. Units that want all stats except Spd are usually willing to give up points in one of those stats in order to get more points in the other two.

Most units would instead prefer to run a hypothetical Life and Death Echo, Solid Ground Echo, Still Water Echo, or Fortress Def/Res Echo.

3 hours ago, Sil/phire said:

I feel like this should not be the way i works, it just makes NFU useless, no?

Null Follow-Up was designed to be used by fast units to counter skill effects commonly used by slow units to manipulate follow-up activation. It protects fast units from having their follow-ups blocked by slow units with follow-up prevention, and it protects fast units from being doubled by slow units with guaranteed follow-ups.

Is Gambit worth using along side Galeforce?

Nope. Gambit's additional damage and damage reduction effects require the unit's Special to activate on either the unit's or the opponent's attack, and Galeforce doesn't fall into either category.

Would a slaying effect weapon be a bad mix with those two?

Gambit's effects are based on the visible cooldown on the unit's Special skill, which does factor in the existence of the Slaying effect and will therefore count against Gambit's effects.

While the Slaying effect is detrimental to Gambit's effects when viewed in a vacuum, the benefits of having a functional Special usually outweigh the weakening of Gambit's effects. If the unit has +1 Special charge rate, it's better to run a Special with 4 cooldown (i.e. Slaying effect + Aether) and activate it on every round of combat than to run a Special with 5 cooldown (i.e. Aether with no Slaying effect) just to make Gambit slightly stronger.

2 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Wouldn't the same also apply to Atk Oath/ Pledge Echo too?

Menace is mentioned for ranged cavalry because they don't have a better skill to grant stat bonuses in that slot (since they don't have access to any self-buff skills that also grant an in-combat stat boost).

As far as self-buff skills go, Oath 4 and Pledge are more optimal than Menace on infantry, and Oath 4, Hold, and Rein Snap are more optimal than Menace on fliers. Yes, the debuffs from Menace are pretty nice, but they can be offloaded onto a support unit.

I really should have asked this sooner, but the difficulty of the HoF stage you farm doesn't affect the Skills you get, does it (outside of anything Stage 13 and higher giving you a choice of 2 Skills per slot)? Thanks as always!

Yeah. Infernal gives you 2 skills per slot, but the stage and difficulty don't change the skill pool.

After completing all of the stages for rewards, it's best to return to stage 13 for the remainder of the event since you'll have the easiest time feeding first kills to the unit you want skills for and have the smallest chance of failing the map.

18 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Yeah. Infernal gives you 2 skills per slot, but the stage and difficulty don't change the skill pool.

After completing all of the stages for rewards, it's best to return to stage 13 for the remainder of the event since you'll have the easiest time feeding first kills to the unit you want skills for and have the smallest chance of failing the map.

That's what I've been doing, don't worry. I just feel like I've been seeing the same set of skills over and over and started doubting myself.

Seriously, why do I keep getting Rouse Atk/Spd 4 instead of Alarm Atk/Spd?!?!

Is there any pattern for the monthly seasonal banners rerun? I mean, this month we'll have the rerun of the ninja banners. Do they come as latest first and oldest last or is the order random?

I'm waiting for Ninja Camilla and would like an ideia of when the banner would come out, as the calendar is not up yet

1 hour ago, Rinco said:

Is there any pattern for the monthly seasonal banners rerun? I mean, this month we'll have the rerun of the ninja banners. Do they come as latest first and oldest last or is the order random?

As far as I'm aware, Special Hero rerun banners are normally run in reverse chronological order with the most recent banner running first and the oldest banner running last.

Does anyone have any solid predictions for what the Heroes for the 3H and Engage HoFs will be, please? Do you think it's too early for Legendary Alear to be on the latter? Thanks in advance!

Even if you include the speculated Legendary and Mythic Heroes that will show up for upcoming Hall of Forms, the most recent unit among them is still Legendary Chrom from February 2020.

Dimitri, Male Byleth, and Shez are out of the question for the upcoming Fodlan Hall of Forms because their confirmed next rerun is after the event. Sothis and Female Byleth have their next rerun on the month of the event, but Female Byleth is still in the standard Legendary/Mythic banner rotation and not the Remix rotation, so she's unlikely to appear there. Edelgard and Claude have their next reruns before the Hall of Forms, but those reruns are close enough to the event that it's unlikely they'll be rerun that soon afterwards. Sothis is really the only one with a chance.

Alear is way too recent of a Legendary Hero to have a chance to appear in a Hall of Forms, even one that is 5 months out from now, as there is a space of 42 months between Chrom and Alear.

As far as non-Legendary/Mythic Heroes go, the release dates (in order) of the units from the past 6 Hall of Forms are as follows:

• Phantom Thief Leila (August 2022)
  • Bride Lilina (May 2022)
  • Fallen Ninian (May 2022)
  • Skasaher (April 2022)
  • Tinny (April 2022)
  • Karin (March 2022)
  • Spring Delthea (March 2022)
  • Cath (February 2022)
  • Desert Karla (January 2022)
  • Winter Artur (December 2021)
  • Ninja Igrene (November 2021)
  • Fluffy Hat Lakche (September 2021)
  • Pirate Lifis (August 2021)
  • Luthier (June 2021)
  • Echoes Palla (June 2021)
  • Young Innes (April 2021)
  • Miranda (January 2021)

Fodlan has had a decent number of units falling in that range (excluding Duo/Harmonized units):

• Desert (January 2021): Raphael (4-star)
  • New Heroes (March 2021): Dedue, Ingrid, Marianne, Linhardt (4-star), Solon (Grail)
  • Fallen Heroes (May 2021): Dimitri, Edelgard
  • Summer (June 2021): Ashe, Mercedes, Caspar (4-star), Leonie (Grail)
  • CYL (August 2021): Gatekeeper, Marianne
  • New Heroes (September 2021): Constance, Hapi, Yuri, Balthus (4-star), Aelfric (Grail)
  • Halloween (October 2021): Rhea
  • Ninja (November 2021): Shamir (Grail)
  • Winter (December 2021): Manuela (4-star), Ignatz (Grail)
  • Fallen Heroes (May 2022): Rhea
  • Summer (June 2022): Dimitri, Claude (4-star)
  • CYL (August 2022): Female Byleth, Geralt (Grail)
  • New Heroes (September 2022): Ascended Hilda, Monica, Male Shez, Female Shez (4-star), Holst (Grail)
  • Winter (December 2022): Dorothea, Annette (4-star)

Duo Hilda, Duo Sothis, Harmonized Dorothea, Harmonized Lysithea, and Harmonized Edelgard also fall in this range, but I'm doubtful they'll make the lineup.

Which if these units are picked is anyone's guess, though red units have a lightly lower chance due to Sothis having a decent chance of taking a spot. While two units sharing a color is not unheard of, it's also not a common occurrence. There's also a high likelihood that at least one slot will be used for a 4-star unit.

Engage's first banner was January 2023 with no other units until July 2023, so it's very likely that we'll get only units from the first banner. Chloe, Celine, and Etie are most likely to get in with either Female Alear or Lumera filling in the last slot. Alfred is unlikely to be in the lineup due to being a Rearmed Hero, but it's technically possible.

6 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Engage's first banner was January 2023 with no other units until July 2023, so it's very likely that we'll get only units from the first banner. Chloe, Celine, and Etie are most likely to get in with either Female Alear or Lumera filling in the last slot. Alfred is unlikely to be in the lineup due to being a Rearmed Hero, but it's technically possible.

Thanks! I'll cross my fingers for F!Alear personally, since I have a few copies of her and I'm curious what could come of them. She'd just want Vital Astra or Godlike Reflexes, A/S Finish, Gambit and A/S Oath, wouldn't she?

7 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Which if these units are picked is anyone's guess, though red units have a lightly lower chance due to Sothis having a decent chance of taking a spot. While two units sharing a color is not unheard of, it's also not a common occurrence. There's also a high likelihood that at least one slot will be used for a 4-star unit.

I forgot Sothis was the first rare Hero 3H got, so I agree that she's likely the best bet (I thought it was Edelgard). Thank you again!

On 11/14/2023 at 3:39 AM, DefyingFates said:

Thanks! I'll cross my fingers for F!Alear personally, since I have a few copies of her and I'm curious what could come of them. She'd just want Vital Astra or Godlike Reflexes, A/S Finish, Gambit and A/S Oath, wouldn't she?

The Engage Hall of Forms would be in April 2024, so there will probably be a few new skills worth looking at released in the meantime. With just the skills we have right now, she's looking at wanting something like this from Hall of Forms:

Female Alear [+Spd]
Liberation / [whatever the best inheritable sword is at the time]
[Assist]
Vital Astra / Godlike Reflexes
Atk/Spd Prime 4 / Atk/Spd Finish 4
Gambit 4 / Spurn 4 / Phys. Null Follow
Atk/Spd Pledge / Atk/Spd Oath 4

Godlike Reflexes requires her to run Pledge in the C slot.

If you want to actually use Gambit, she'll want Pledge in the C slot, and you'll want to swap her Special to Aether after the Hall of Forms is over.

Spurn 4 is currently the best Dodge skill to run, but if we get Velocity 4 in the meantime, it'll be better to run that instead.

Liberation grants Charge, which allows you to get 3 non-stat Bonuses to power Prime if you're also running Pledge and Oath Echo, making it pretty easy to get 1 more Bonus to get the Distant Counter effect. This makes it almost strictly better than Distant A/S Solo.

8 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Atk/Spd Pledge

I completely forgot that would be an option, thanks! And the HoF only coming in April gives me hope that F!Alear will indeed be the Red Hero available (unless we get some horrible powercreep that makes L!Alear not a big deal to include instead).

9 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Spurn 4 is currently the best Dodge skill to run, but if we get Velocity 4 in the meantime, it'll be better to run that instead.

Would Velocity be better than Gambit for her? You're trading the Tempo effect for extra DR, right?

Thank you as always, Ice!

Would Velocity be better than Gambit for her? You're trading the Tempo effect for extra DR, right?

Thank you as always, Ice!

In a vacuum, Velocity 4 grants:

• +7 Phantom Spd
  • 0~50% damage reduction based on a Spd comparison (excludes Rokkr Specials)
  • Tempo effect

And Gambit 4 grants (counting the fact that the max possible Special cooldown with the Slaying effect is 4 instead of 5):

• +0~10 damage based on max Special cooldown (excludes AoE Specials)
  • 0~40% damage reduction based on max Special cooldown (excludes AoE Specials)

The main advantage of Dodge 4 skills is that they come with Phantom Spd and a secondary effect. Phantom Spd is particularly notable because it effectively nullifies the opponent's Phantom Spd if they're also running Dodge 4 and give you an additional edge against opponents that aren't. However, because the damage reduction is still based on a stat comparison, it's not as reliable against fast opponents.

The main advantage of Gambit 4 is that its damage reduction is independent of the opponent's stats and is therefore more reliable against fast opponents. The main drawback is that you're forced to run Aether (if the unit has the Slaying effect), and losing the Phantom Spd effect means you're more vulnerable to having your damage reduced by an opponent's Dodge effect.

I think both Alears lean more towards Dodge 4 instead of Gambit 4 due to the fact that Liberation has Dodge 3 built in, which benefits from the Phantom Spd effect that Dodge 4 skills have. As an infantry unit with the Slaying effect, having access to Vital Astra + Time's Pulse 4 and Godlike Reflexes + Pledge, which both also rely on Spd comparisons, also make the Phantom Spd effect something that shouldn't be overlooked, especially against other fast units.

However, while I do think Dodge 4 is slightly better than Gambit 4 on the Alears, Gambit 4 still has one major advantage, and that's the fact that while you're forced to run Aether, your Aether is entirely functional when you're also running Pledge. On a Dodge 4 build with Prime 4 instead of Finish 4, Alear has no source of passive healing and needs to rely on teammates for sustain, but on a Gambit 4 build, they'll have Aether for healing.

That said, there's absolutely nothing preventing you from running Dodge 4 with Aether instead of a premium Special on maps where the sustain is necessary. Aether is cheap, and switching skills is free.

New build question! Would Flash Sparrow + Fleeting Echo be worth inheriting to OG!Nino or has speed creep passed her by even with dragonflowers (she's not Resplendent)?

FWIW, she has two builds right now, one with Arcane Caliburnus +Spd and the other with Iris' Tome +Spd. To be honest I haven't gotten around to giving her an A Skill because I was waiting for some Remote Sparrow fodder and now a new Nino comes with a different kind of Remote skill!

Thanks as always!

8 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

New build question! Would Flash Sparrow + Fleeting Echo be worth inheriting to OG!Nino or has speed creep passed her by even with dragonflowers (she's not Resplendent)?

FWIW, she has two builds right now, one with Arcane Caliburnus +Spd and the other with Iris' Tome +Spd. To be honest I haven't gotten around to giving her an A Skill because I was waiting for some Remote Sparrow fodder and now a new Nino comes with a different kind of Remote skill!

Thanks as always!

Counting all units with a Spd Asset and maximum Dragonflowers, non-Resplendent regular Nino is currently 8 points behind the units with the highest Spd before accounting for weapon effects. That's not insurmountable, but it is going to be difficult to activate Flash Sparrow's secondary effect against the game's faster units, especially with Dodge 4 granting +7 Phantom Spd.

If she's running Arcane Caliburnus, she won't need Flash Sparrow since Arcane Caliburnus has the same effect with a more reliable condition. Iris's Tome doesn't give her any boost to Spd at all, so if you're going to run it with Flash Sparrow, you're going to have to resign yourself to using it only against slower units instead.

39 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Counting all units with a Spd Asset and maximum Dragonflowers, non-Resplendent regular Nino is currently 8 points behind the units with the highest Spd before accounting for weapon effects. That's not insurmountable, but it is going to be difficult to activate Flash Sparrow's secondary effect against the game's faster units, especially with Dodge 4 granting +7 Phantom Spd.

If she's running Arcane Caliburnus, she won't need Flash Sparrow since Arcane Caliburnus has the same effect with a more reliable condition. Iris's Tome doesn't give her any boost to Spd at all, so if you're going to run it with Flash Sparrow, you're going to have to resign yourself to using it only against slower units instead.

Gotcha. I'll just use Fang!Nino to clone Atk/Spd Ideal and Oath 4 instead. That's a good use of her, right?

New question, if I may: one of my pitybreakers on the new banner was FE4 Arthur, which means I now have Spd/Res Menace.

I'm going to give her Atk/Spd Ideal 4, but would og!Nino like Spd/Res Menace + Atk Oath Echo or Atk/Spd Oath 4 + Fleeting Echo? (I'm assuming this would work for Teatime Tailtiu too.)

P.S. What sort of units want Fireflood Boost 4? Thanks in advance, everyone!

New question, if I may: one of my pitybreakers on the new banner was FE4 Arthur, which means I now have Spd/Res Menace.

I'm going to give her Atk/Spd Ideal 4, but would og!Nino like Spd/Res Menace + Atk Oath Echo or Atk/Spd Oath 4 + Fleeting Echo? (I'm assuming this would work for Teatime Tailtiu too.)

Oath 4 is typically better than Menace on an offensive unit, and Spd/Res Menace is also typically worse than Atk/Spd Menace on an offensive unit.

Atk/Spd Oath 4 grants +9/9/0/0 and teleportation. Atk/Spd Menace grants +6/12/6/6 against a debuffed opponent and +6/6/0/0 against other opponents. Spd/Res Menace grants +6/12/0/6 against a debuffed opponent and +0/6/0/6 against other opponents.

While the boosts from Atk/Spd Menace against debuffed opponents is higher than the boost from Atk/Spd Oath 4, debuffs are the same regardless of who inflicts them, so it's better to offload your debuffs onto a different teammate when possible (such as a ranged cavalry unit since they don't have as many options for the C slot).

P.S. What sort of units want Fireflood Boost 4? Thanks in advance, everyone!

Fireflood Boost 3 is best on dual-phase and enemy-phase units that want Atk/Res instead of a different stat combination and prefer to have Guard on their A slot instead of a different secondary effect in order to open up their B slot for a different effect. It's also the best A skill for any unit that wants the combination of HP/Atk/Res.

There honestly aren't many units that actually make good use of it, as Atk/Res is typically a stat combination that leans towards running Sabotage/Ploy builds and prefer Still Water over other A skills, and most (if not all) of the units that want HP would prefer HP/Atk/Spd instead.

The Guard effect is most useful on Save armors that previously would have run Stance, but Atk/Res is usually not the optimal stat combination for them (and the dragons that could potentially have an argument to run Atk/Res would usually prefer to run Scowl and have Guard be on a different skill slot).

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

While the boosts from Atk/Spd Menace against debuffed opponents is higher than the boost from Atk/Spd Oath 4, debuffs are the same regardless of who inflicts them, so it's better to offload your debuffs onto a different teammate when possible (such as a ranged cavalry unit since they don't have as many options for the C slot).

So Oath 4 + Fleeting Echo is the better choice? Gotcha.

As for Fireflood not being very good, I hope I don't regret getting Ginnungagap instead of an Isadora to fodder off. I'll just cross my fingers and hope we get a good dagger merge project so I can at least give them Lethality and Fatal Smoke 4. The only recent-ish one I have a decent number of right now is Colm, I believe. I like the guy though, so that's nice.

Does anyone know what, if any, personal skills count as Rally Assists for the purposes of weapons like Spy's Shuriken? I'm looking at Gold Serpent in particular, but I'd like to know if there are any others.

EDIT: I guess there's also Harsh Command(+) that I'm not certain of.

Edited by Seafarer

7 hours ago, Seafarer said:

Does anyone know what, if any, personal skills count as Rally Assists for the purposes of weapons like Spy's Shuriken? I'm looking at Gold Serpent in particular, but I'd like to know if there are any others.

EDIT: I guess there's also Harsh Command(+) that I'm not certain of.

Exclusive Assist skills are the same Assist skill type as their prerequisite skill.

Since Gold Serpent's prerequisite is Rally Atk/Spd, it counts as a Rally Assist skill (and is currently the only excusive Assist skill that counts as such).

Harsh Command does not count as a Rally Assist skill.

Tangentially related, but staff movement Assist skills count as movement Assist skills.

• 2 weeks later...

Just so I know for the future, what's the best generic build for a Godsword right now: Vital Astra or Godlike Reflexes + Atk/Spd Finish 4 + Spurn 4 (or Velocity 4 when that happens) + Incite Atk/Spd or Atk/Spd Oath 4?

And while I don't have the fodder to spare to make this happen yet, B!Eirika's best build at the moment is Atk/Spd Clash 4 (or Flared Sparrow) + Moonlight Bangle + Incite Atk/Spd, right?

Thanks as always, everyone!

Edited by DefyingFates