Arena Discussion Thread (inc. Assault)

pianime94

13 hours ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Honestly, I'm only running two armors to boost my score. Maybe not the best method, but I'm determined to break my 4860 record.

Just a heads up, I read on reddit that Amelia's points value is currently bugged for some people.  Apparently she is giving less points than Tharja?  Might be worth it to switch her out and see if it's happening to you too!

Edited by Infinite Dreams

• Replies 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Infinite Dreams said:

Just a heads up, I read on reddit that Amelia's points value is currently bugged for some people.  Apparently she is giving less points than Tharja?  Might be worth it to switch her out and see if it's happening to you too!

I'm getting more points than I usually get. My range has been 692-702 (though I only got 702 once). Usually I'm stuck in the 686-696 range (with a few higher than that on occasion). I did switch out my merged Celica for Sanaki (both +1) because I was facing teams of all green mages for some reason, and I couldn't get any scores higher than 692.

I did feel like my scores should have been a little bit higher since I could get a similar range of scores with my horse team plus Hector. I'll have to play around with my team composition and see if there really is a bug. 

4 hours ago, Infinite Dreams said:

There's been a follow-up to that post. From what it sounds like, there's a hard points-cap for Arena scoring and that the reduced scoring for using Amelia in what's supposed to be extremely high-scoring teams is caused by overflow. The basic solutions if you really want to use Amelia and prevent overflow is to use units that score for fewer points. For players who don't already hit the max Arena team score, Amelia is a boon. For those who already hit the max Arena team score normally, Amelia is more of a liability.

Edited by Roflolxp54

11 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

If you don’t play arena at all during the week, you don’t get rewards but you also don’t get demoted.

Oh, I didn't know that. Well I started it last night, guess I have to go through with it now. :(

10 hours ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

I did fight my first 702 team which was nice. Oddly enough the teams rated 700 aren't half as cancerous as those in the 694-988 range.

21 hours ago, Rafiel's Aria said:

Celica+1 (+SPD -RES) - Ragnarok, Draw Back, Draconic Aura, Life and Death 3, Renewal 3, Savage Blow 3, Quickened Pulse
Reinhardt+1 (+ATK -SPD) - Dire Thunder, Reposition, Moonbow, Death Blow 3, Lancebreaker 3, Goad Cavalry, ATK+1
Amelia+1 (+SPD -RES) - Slaying Axe+, Swap, Moonbow, Fury 3, Desperation 3, Armor March 3, SPD+1
Hector (+DEF -RES) - Armads, Swap, Bonfire, Distant Counter, Wings of Mercy, Goad Armor, Squad Ace B 1

They aren't the most effective skills for killing stuff, but giving all of your units the AoE specials will increase the score of the teams you face by at least 4 on average.

Personally I love the Lava map. It is perfectly set up to bait and kill ranged attackers.

The only thing I hate is how over-centralizing Reinhardt is to the meta right now. Any map where he starts in a spot that I can't bait him on turn 1 usually turns out poorly for me.

My Nowi has to run both Spur Res and Rally Res just to deal with him.

12 minutes ago, Hawk King said:

The only thing I hate is how over-centralizing Reinhardt is to the meta right now. Any map where he starts in a spot that I can't bait him on turn 1 usually turns out poorly for me.

Hasn't it been liek that for a while? It's always tough if he starts in a weird spot :/

I didn't want to admit it but it seems this season I'll go down to tier 18 after bouncing between 19 and 20 since forever...

I really hate this cancerous map rotation + not having a good bonus unit to get decent scores (why it had to be Legion again?!). I'm going to grind TT really hard to see if I can get a SS unit before this season ends.

9 hours ago, SSbardock84 said:

Oh, I didn't know that. Well I started it last night, guess I have to go through with it now. :(

Better that way I think. If you don't enter arena for a week to not being demoted one tier, then you also won't receive any arena awards for that inactive week. 

Edited by mampfoid
Typo ('s)

Lost some data points on this since I completed my Arena runs last night, but was too tired to bother doing a write-up before bed (this early in the week, the numbers aren't indicative enough that it's that imperative, anyway).

Tier 20 score of 4892 (no deaths, no surrenders; Nowi +5, Nino +6, Eirika 5*, Alfonse 5*; 700, 698, 700, 696, 696, 702, 700):

• Aug 17 4PM PT - #1208

Arena Assault score of 4896:

• Aug 17 4PM PT - #1818

Had some issues getting a deathless initially due to a misplay on getting cramped in by some weird movement where Azura kept prioritizing Nowi over Hector like she normally does and me having to try to kill them both on the same turn (would've worked if I didn't Reposition wrong) and then a Bride Cordelia getting a Draw Back into Sing that I saw coming, but didn't have the room to maneuver around. Third attempt went pretty smoothly, though, with one scary moment and one super funny moment, both on the zipper map. The first incident was where they had a Marth, Mae, Bride Cordelia and Ninian. For whatever reason (probably rally humping), Mae and Ninian didn't get baited south by Alfonse and kept following Bride Cordelia around, who was following Marth, so it as just a train of dumb. They got super jammed up after breaking through one part of the blocks, then refusing to break any more. This eventually led to them all spilling forward into the middle of my team. I had juuuust enough reach and damage for Nowi to kill Marth through a defense tile, Nino to kill Bride Cordelia, then Alfonse and Eirika to gang up on Mae to Drag Back and finish her off while staying out of Ninian's range. Super scary, but also really satisfying to score three kills in a single PP. The second incident was baiting an unoptimized Raven Cecilia and Reinhardt to their deaths on the first EP. I was able to sit Nino in their overlapping ranges with full Eirika buffs (with Rally Def/Res as her rally) and Alfonse sitting behind her with Spur Res 3. Thanks to the def tile, Cecilia did 0 and Reinhardt did 2x 1. After that, Nino ran away while Nowi blocked the single opening, allowing Alfonse and Xander to suicide on her, resulting in a two-turn Arena clear! :lol:

So far I've just got a single defense worth 576 points and that came in over lunch. Feels off, since the last few weeks have been giving me random wins despite me sometimes changing Rein and Xander off of their good specs to counter certain other things in stuff like Tempest.

Arena Assault went oddly smooth, despite five Reinhardts. I guess I've got enough counters for him by this point that that's not a super issue. My new Ike got to counter-one-shot an enemy Nino, too. I thing I've noticed is that since greens are kind of at a premium, if I don't need one of my powerhouses for Rein or another scary blue mage, but want something that can for sure get Azura, I find myself deploying my 3* Narcian. Kinda odd, but he clearnly one-rounds her. As such, I am, hilariously, training a 3* Arthur so that I have two Emerald Axes to deal with stray Azuras.

I expect my current score to get me the third-tier AA reward again, since 4904 last week was #1032. I think I'll need 3-4 more merges before I can consistently get into the second tier without needing to fish hard. First tier is just never happening ever (my team won't have enough scoring power even if I get them all to +10). I could merge Nowi again now if I wanted, but I'm holding out a bit, pulling greens and reds, since I want to see if I can upgrade Nino or Eirika first.

Edited by Kuroi Tsubasa Tenshi

Update for 5066 (T20):

6pm PDT 8/16 - 92

5pm PDT 8/17 - 123

Teams faced detailed in the previous post. Highest Def score is still 586 (out of 9).

I've basically got practice matches the rest of the season, but so far they've actually been pretty intense =P . Just finished up a battle against a full cav team on the map with alternating rows of defense tiles & breakable walls. Everyone managed to make it out alive, with Nino baiting Reinhardt on T1, and the remaining units moving in such a way that nobody had Hone Cavalry on T2. Azura ate hits from Olwen and Eliwood (the latter died, the former got Reposition'ed out by Cecilia). With some WoM, Draw Back, and Dance action, Celica KO'd Cecilia on the following turn and everyone else evacuated, leaving Celica to eat a hit from no-buffs Olwen on the EP. Alfonse WoM'ed in for the finish because he could. I have to say, I'm leaning towards keeping Distant Def on Celica instead of using Life and Death after that experience.

Team: Selena,Sheena+ 1,Tana,Delthea.

I see I'm Setting my foot on little whale mountain as a f2p player, only need some adjustment in skillset.
And I see that I made a hard choice in my characters, but I like such challenges.

Tana/Sheena will be the focus on this Team in the future.

I also did an Arena Assault Run with 4808 Points with no Items! Barbatos is proud of me.
It went too smooth, but there is also potential upway and of course difficulty.

Edited by Stroud

I don't know if this was announced, but I'm getting Double Regular SP in Arena now.  Normally, I get half SP, rounded down to 1 per kill.  Now, I'm getting 6 SP per kill, and 12 for Seth.  Even with double SP, it used to cancel out to Normal SP, so 3 per kill, whenever we got double SP.  It would be nice if we just got regular SP for Arena now.

10 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I don't know if this was announced, but I'm getting Double Regular SP in Arena now.  Normally, I get half SP, rounded down to 1 per kill.  Now, I'm getting 6 SP per kill, and 12 for Seth.  Even with double SP, it used to cancel out to Normal SP, so 3 per kill, whenever we got double SP.  It would be nice if we just got regular SP for Arena now.

I think that was a change they mentioned including in the 12.6 update.

3 minutes ago, Othin said:

I think that was a change they mentioned including in the 12.6 update.

I see.  I must have missed that.

14 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I see.  I must have missed that.

SP gains are doubled every Friday and Saturday ever since an update.

How are Sacred Seals weighted in Arena? I could imagine simple stat-boosting ones don't weigh for much while Atk Ploy 1 and possibly Quickened Pulse ones weigh a bit more.

2 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

I know that, but with Arena SP having been halved, it worked out to getting regular SP on Friday/Saturday, and half SP the rest of the week.

6 hours ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Arena SP used to be 3 per kill for bonus heroes, 1 per kill for everybody else. Since 1.6 it’s 6 and 3 before the Friday and Saturday bonus, when it’s 12 and 6.

Whoo. Made Olivia 5* (she put in so much work for me and this was raised from a modest 2* Hero Battle Olivia) and used my extra Ike to give her Aether (and Swordbreaker 3 simply because I can). Went from ~682-688 scoring teams to 692-696 scoring teams.

So what determines if you get items out of arena assault? Is it just random?

I did a low level run (only like ~3500) to at least get a few extra items, start that stock pile, but didn't get anything like the last few times I did it.

29 minutes ago, r_n said:

So what determines if you get items out of arena assault? Is it just random?

I did a low level run (only like ~3500) to at least get a few extra items, start that stock pile, but didn't get anything like the last few times I did it.

After an Arena Assault run, you get an item if you cleared 3 maps, a second item if you cleared 5, and a third if you cleared all 7.

Whoa, didn't get any defense wins for a month, but I got four wins this week. The only change I make to the defense team is cycling out Askr trio as team leader when they're a bonus unit. Do I only get defense wins when Alfonse is on the team...?

Well that settles it, Alphonse is the best of the trio.

Or it's because he's got draw back and that goes well with reinhardt.

12 minutes ago, Othin said:

After an Arena Assault run, you get an item if you cleared 3 maps, a second item if you cleared 5, and a third if you cleared all 7.

Hmmm, but I definitely didn't get anything? I had 2 dancer veils and a fear charm, and that's till all I have. I didn't bring them with me either.

3 minutes ago, r_n said:

Hmmm, but I definitely didn't get anything? I had 2 dancer veils and a fear charm, and that's till all I have. I didn't bring them with me either.

That's very odd. I don't know what could cause that; it doesn't sound like something that's supposed to happen.