Voting Gauntlet: Pegasus Knights vs. Wyvern Riders

Vaximillian

13 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Worse than Beruka in my opinion 

To be honest, I don't think she would be worse than Beruka. I think she'll be at a stalemate with her. There are a couple of people I know that really like Florina. And I don't think a lot of people like Beruka despite her being in a modern Fire Emblem.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Ah.  I kind of figured if anyone had a realistic chance of beating Camilla, it'd be Florina (first flying unit for non-Japanese audiences, and all).

Nope. To me it'd be Caeda. She's from Marfs game and that to me is the only way it could ever work.

Lucina impersonated Marf 

Caeda loves Marf

Marf and Caeda are shipped

Caeda now stands a chance.

3 minutes ago, Falcom said:

To be honest, I don't think she would be worse than Beruka. I think she'll be at a stalemate with her. There are a couple of people I know that really like Florina. And I don't think a lot of people like Beruka despite her being in a modern Fire Emblem.

I'm about to just spout a baseless point with no evidence, but here's what I think; I think people do like Beruka. Obviously not to a fan favourite extent like Lucina or Camilla, but I just think it's the fact that we've got vastly more popular characters from the same game, stealing potential votes away, along with other potential voters voting for who they think will win, rather than who they actually like more.

Edited by Frenzify

Maybe the reason Camilla's stomping so hard in this gauntlet match is because in the previous one, even though Lucina was the fan favorite some of the others (Eirika, Ephraim, Chrom at the very least) had big enough fanbases so that potential Lucina supporters had other characters to flock to.

As for this gauntlet, maybe people just don't like the other fliers as much as Camilla? I mean, how popular or unpopular are non-Camilla fliers in this gauntlet to Chrom and the Renais twins? Without someone that they really like and Camilla as the fan favorite to win, maybe more people just chose her to win?

That said, as of now I don't think there's any pegasi or wyvern unit that can stand up against Camilla. Well, maybe Haar from FE9/10, but that'd be purely on boobs vs. badassery because Haar isn't a cute girl. The only way this could've been a close match is if you put Camilla up against every other pegasus and wyvern unit in the entire FE series.

5 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Maybe the reason Camilla's stomping so hard in this gauntlet match is because in the previous one, even though Lucina was the fan favorite some of the others (Eirika, Ephraim, Chrom at the very least) had big enough fanbases so that potential Lucina supporters had other characters to flock to.

As for this gauntlet, maybe people just don't like the other fliers as much as Camilla? I mean, how popular or unpopular are non-Camilla fliers in this gauntlet to Chrom and the Renais twins? Without someone that they really like and Camilla as the fan favorite to win, maybe more people just chose her to win?

That said, as of now I don't think there's any pegasi or wyvern unit that can stand up against Camilla. Well, maybe Haar from FE9/10, but that'd be purely on boobs vs. badassery because Haar isn't a cute girl. The only way this could've been a close match is if you put Camilla up against every other pegasus and wyvern unit in the entire FE series.

For real, I would've went Ha'ar if he had been in this gauntlet. RD had just the right difficulty curve to make all your great units feel AMAZING at the end, when they're stomping everything, and Ha'ar was Ha'ar the whole time he's around.

Conquest's difficulty doesn't do that since it's a much more linear increase---it's a better design for a game, I guess, but it lacks the 'reward' factor of having the units you babied (or not babied---Haar, Shinon, Titania etc.) stomping everything in the late game.

Edited by DehNutCase

4 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

It still seems a bit odd that Cordelia isn't showing better since she is relatively popular, but, as you said, there are less popular characters overall so fewer characters to divert fans plus a change up to the flag system.

7 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Nope. To me it'd be Caeda. She's from Marfs game and that to me is the only way it could ever work.

Lucina impersonated Marf 

Caeda loves Marf

Marf and Caeda are shipped

Caeda now stands a chance.

Now I'm actually rather curious.  How many of the Western audience has played FE7 vs how many have played FE1 or its remake?

31 minutes ago, Frenzify said:

I'm about to just spout a baseless point with no evidence, but here's what I think; I think people do like Beruka. Obviously not to a fan favourite extent like Lucina or Camilla, but I just think it's the fact that we've got vastly more popular characters from the same game, stealing potential votes away, along with other potential voters voting for who they think will win, rather than who they actually like more.

Yeah I think you're right on this one. Beruka is actually an okay character for me. But then she gets overshadowed by characters I think are worse than her (i.e. bland Lucina, and annoying Camilla)

2 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

I played Shadow Dragon. Does that count?

That counts. But does FE3/FE12 count?

Edited by Falcom

24 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

In all honesty, prior to this gauntlet, I'm not sure if I really believed that Camilla had any fans, much less enough fans to counter those of all the other flying units combined.  The very idea that people could encounter her and not think, "Wow, what a horrible character!" is something I find legitimately shocking.

4 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

I played Shadow Dragon. Does that count?

I think so.  Was that a remake of FE1, or a remake of one of the others?

2 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

I think so.  Was that a remake of FE1, or a remake of one of the others?

I think it was a remake of the first one, but, honestly it was my least favorite of the four I've played.

4 hours ago, Frenzify said:

Why do I get the feeling that you're just subtly trying to recruit people to Minerva's side, @Arcanite, if you get to the final?

4 hours ago, Arcanite said:

Hee hee hee

Because thats exactly what I'm trying to do? Hello? Have you been reading any of my posts for the past day?

Wait, @Arcanite, you were trying to be subtle?! Well, gotta say, your subtlety needs work, you've achieved an 11/10 spectacular failure to be "subtle"! :P But who needs subtlety when you have a Hauteclere?!

1 hour ago, Motendra said:

I'd ask you the same. I'm tier 9 and while I've had the game since launch, I didn't do arena as much, and as a result, am one tier below two friends of mine

ID: 9082691974

EDIT: actually, whats the highest tier thus far?

I'm tier 9 too, I started a few days late, so the first season didn't go too well. I also looked you up, to realize you already added me from when I posted my ID earlier in this thread, and that I've apparently been using your Michalis in several battles, haha.

While I know my chances of keeping my position in the top 1000 are futile, I still tried to be in the Cherche camp. Despite definitely backing the wrong horse in terms of the winning side.

Have to try, right?

10 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

In all honesty, prior to this gauntlet, I'm not sure if I really believed that Camilla had any fans, much less enough fans to counter those of all the other flying units combined.  The very idea that people could encounter her and not think, "Wow, what a horrible character!" is something I find legitimately shocking.

If you don't care about character design at all, Camilla would be a clear favorite. She's more or less the Ha'ar of conquest, if Ha'ar joined at the same time as Volug and stayed in your party for the entire game. As a unit she has basically no weaknesses, high growths, absurd bases, great class options, and even a low internal level to abuse those growths AND get skills sooner (the level 15 skills are worth a damn lot).

If you DO care about character design, then yeah, she's gaudy, but you can't really say the design is bad per se. She isn't unattractive, if anything, she's too attractive---and she knows it. A lot of people hate her for that, I suppose, but it's rather logical to think that attractive people attract people to them.

Personally I don't care about her design, so I like her based on purely pragmatic reasons---good unit, both in conquest and heroes. Worse here since Minerva is her, but better, but being a budget-Minerva is still a damn good place to be.

Edited by DehNutCase

10 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

I'd like to say the same, but I'm really not surprised. In the Harry Potter fandom, there were many girls and women who thought that because Draco was good-looking that he was redeemable. Or they completely twisted his character and made him not Draco anymore just because he's pretty. And how Ron was a complete bastard in so many fanfics because he wasn't as "pretty" as Draco. Or in Avatar the Last Airbender how a lot of fans thought that Katara should go with Zuko even before he had joined Aang, because Zuko fit the girls' definition of a "man" better than Aang did.

The sad reality is that a significant portion of any given fanbase just doesn't really care about anything beyond looks. And even those who care about personality will try to twist and interpret things to their favor without evidence to make their favorite depthless or awful character sound good. I'd like to say it only happens in fiction, but ... it doesn't.

Like, if people legit like Camilla as a character, I'm fine with that even if I don't agree with you. But there are people who "add" depth to her that is not actually in canon as a canon reason to like her, or something.

14 minutes ago, Astellius said:

Wait, @Arcanite, you were trying to be subtle?! Well, gotta say, your subtlety needs work, you've achieved an 11/10 spectacular failure to be "subtle"! :P But who needs subtlety when you have a Hauteclere?!

I'm assuming you mean that my methods aren't subtle at all because I sense some slight sardonicism in your post.

So in that case, no I don't try to be subtle at all. In my posts anyway.

But my signature. I bet that thing is responsible for 1,000 + new Minerva followers at this point ;)

Edited by Arcanite

3 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

I'm assuming you mean that my methods aren't subtle at all because I sense some slight sardonicism in your post.

But my signature. I bet that thing is responsible for 1,000 + new Mineral followers at this point ;)

And 200,000 new Camilla followers! Don't forget to mention that!

Edited by XhenD

2 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

The sad reality is that a significant portion of any given fanbase just doesn't really care about anything beyond looks. And even those who care about personality will try to twist and interpret things to their favor without evidence to make their favorite depthless or awful character sound good. I'd like to say it only happens in fiction, but ... it doesn't.

Are... are you suggesting that vast swaths of humanity are superficial and simple? Say it isn't so...!!

2 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

But my signature. I bet that thing is responsible for 1,000 + new Mineral followers at this point ;)

It would be hilariously ironic if you were trying to be subtle! Also, what's in your signature? I always turn those off in forums.

Just now, Arcanite said:

I don't get it

People get annoyed if you're cheerleading for Minerva over and over again. Instead, you should pretend to be like Camilla's biggest fan. People will be like "screw you I'm voting for Minerva!"

3 minutes ago, DehNutCase said:

If you don't care about character design at all, Camilla would be a clear favorite. She's more or less the Ha'ar of conquest, if Ha'ar joined at the same time as Volug and stayed in your party for the entire game. As a unit she has basically no weaknesses, high growths, great class options, and even a low internal level to abuse those growths AND get skills sooner (the level 15 skills are worth a damn lot).

If you DO care about character design, then yeah, she's gaudy, but you can't really say the design is bad per se. She isn't unattractive, if anything, she's too attractive---and she knows it. A lot of people hate her for that, I suppose, but it's rather logical to think that attractive people attract people to them.

Personally I don't care about her design, so I like her based on purely pragmatic reasons---good unit, both in conquest and heroes. Worse here since Minerva is her, but better, but being a budget-Minerva is still a damn good place to be.

Where is everyone getting these ideas that she's pretty and attractive?  A large bust does not automatically make one beautiful.  If anything, her wildly non-proportional measurements make her seem more grotesque than anything else.  She lacks the cuteness of many FE females, as well as the stately dignity of others.  Even disregarding her "bad girl" mannerisms, her looks are average--at best--for females in the series.  Combine that with her personality, and I would absolutely say she's unattractive.

As for her usefulness in Heroes, she's certainly not useless (though irritating unless you play with the sound off), but she's hardly an auto-include unit.  I used her for a while because she was the only 5-star, green unit I had, but now that I've gotten a Merric up to level 40, she's pretty much benched permanently (barring having need for her in a task, or something, of course).

2 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Where is everyone getting these ideas that she's pretty and attractive?  A large bust does not automatically make one beautiful.  If anything, her wildly non-proportional measurements make her seem more grotesque than anything else.  She lacks the cuteness of many FE females, as well as the stately dignity of others.  Even disregarding her "bad girl" mannerisms, her looks are average--at best--for females in the series.  Combine that with her personality, and I would absolutely say she's unattractive.

As a friend of mine said quite some time ago: "Camilla's boobs are nothing special."

I don't see the physical appeal in Camilla. Her face looks kind of standard for FE female characters. The only thing that really stands out is the boobs. And at that point, do you really like Camilla or do you just like boobs? Because the latter means if that if Hinoka was the one with big boobs and a revealing outfit, while Camilla was flat and dressed more modestly, Hinoka would have more fans.

Edited by Sunwoo

1 minute ago, Astellius said:

It would be hilariously ironic if you were trying to be subtle! Also, what's in your signature? I always turn those off in forums.

It reads as follows:

*Waves fingers in front of eyes*

"You will join team Minerva"

58dbdbbc671c7_giphy(1).gif.fc9f515972b8c31140f8dc018d64a7ec.gif