Would you fix the Voting Gauntlet? If so, how?

As I think a lot of people are saying, I think it would be best if the contests were between characters that are all either non-main characters of the story, with occasional contests for the lords/other main characters. MCs will almost always have a significant advantage over other characters that aren't, and yeah it'd help if characters that are KNOWN to be popular were tossed in alongside other known-popular characters-- for instance, can you imagine a voting gauntlet that includes both Camilla AND Lucina? Because I honestly don't know how that would turn out, and I think that'd be interesting to see. 

Some potential character type/class pools: 

• Skillful Swordmasters: Navarre, Lon'qu, Karel, Fir, Joshua, Hinata, Hana, Mia
  • Loyal Vassals: Jakob, Felicia, Frederick, Cherche (all comparably popular I'd say)
  • Noble Mages: Lilina, Merric, Cecilia, Leo, Olwen, Reinhardt (pick 4)
  • Dark Mages: Henry, Odin/Leo, Sophia, Raigh
  • Holy Mages: Linde, Sanaki, Julia, Lucius / L'Arachel / etc.
  • Veteran Horsemen: Jagen, Gunter, Frederick, Titania/Seth/Marcus
  • Tacticians: Robin (both/either), Corrin (both/either), Soren, Ephraim
  • Bloodthirsty Heroes: Peri, Henry, Karel, Saizo / ?
  • Coldblooded Assassins: Jaffar, Beruka, Linus, Ursula
  • Dashing Rogues: Gaius, Matthew, Sothe, Niles

I think a lot of those are actually pretty hard to pick an obvious winner out of lol. 

Edited by BANRYU

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many people get more rewards by going on the side of the underdog on purpose, if they can predict who it will be. The whole thing is just another tactical game, to me. 

I don't agree with lessening rewards (saying this as someone who happily voted with Leo and Ephraim in the first go round and Subaki and Minerva in the second go round 'cos they were my favourites). I do agree, however, with trying to actually get more equality with the people they pick, judging by the polls. It might not always be possible if they always want a theme, but hopefully once more characters are added to the game, it will become easier and maybe a bit more exciting to not be able to guess the winners. 

I kinda think it's all taken a bit too seriously, though. I just take it as an opportunity to grab more feathers. I'm glad there isn't any more incentive behind it (still hate the idea the winners get art or anything 'cos again we end up with the case of popular characters getting everything and minor ones being left even more in the dust). 

That's my two pence, anyway ^.^''

I, for one, never want to see another gauntlet with Camilla/Lucina/etc. ever again. It is not fun to play when you know that your team will get curb stomped in the next round. Guessing "who will Camilla/Lucina absolutely destroy next?" isn't exactly my favorite pastime. 

Whew, enough negativity. Sorry. 

Anyways, I would like to see Intelligent Systems make more balanced gauntlets. It may be difficult, but I think they should try to include less fan favorites characters if the gauntlet is otherwise comprised of less popular characters. The only time I could see fan favorites being in a gauntlet is if ALL the contestants in the gauntlet are fan favorites as well. I would also like to be able to gain EXP and SP in the battles, just a minor issue I have with the current system. Other than that I believe that the feather and flags reward system is working just fine. 

I agree with basically what most people have said. It's not as fun to me when I already know who the winner will (most likely) be. The battles themselves are easy enough (although it would be great if I could get SP from it haha, the struggle of SP farming is real), but even being given more flags this time around didn't help any team's chances of winning against Team Camilla - at least in my opinion, since Team Camilla could also have easily saved their flags from the three rounds.

I'm genuinely curious if Intelligent Systems didn't expect Team Lucina and Team Camilla to win in their respective gauntlets - although I'm pretty sure they knew exactly what they were doing when they chose the characters for the gauntlets.

I disagree that there should not be a "fan favorite" in the Gauntlet.  Why?  Because otherwise, no one would care.  What made this gauntlet so much fun was the fact that Camilla was going to ROFL stomp everyone and the memes, humor videos and the like celebrating that fact.  There was exactly nothing fun about most of the other fights.  They were just something to do while waiting to get murdered by the purple waifu.

If you pick 8 semi-popular characters to go head to head, then people will basically pick at random and would just do the gauntlet for feathers.  Here, even the game theorist has the option of going with the less popular choice for more ranking versus the stronger choice for the guaranteed win feathers.  

Honestly, I've had more laughs over the last few days than I have in a long while.  I'm hoping they put Azura as the next easy winner.  

Edited by kcirrot

3 minutes ago, kcirrot said:

I disagree that there should not be a "fan favorite" in the Gauntlet.  Why?  Because otherwise, no one would care.  What made this gauntlet so much fun was the fact that Camilla was going to ROFL stomp everyone and the memes, humor videos and the like celebrating that fact.  There was exactly nothing fun about most of the other fights.  They were just something to do while waiting to get murdered by the purple waifu.

If you pick 8 semi-popular characters to go head to head, then people will basically pick at random and would just do the gauntlet for feathers.  Here, even the game theorist has the option of going with the less popular choice for more ranking versus the stronger choice for the guaranteed win feathers.  

Honestly, I've had more laughs over the last few days than I have in a long while.  I'm hoping they put Azura as the next easy winner.  

I have to disagree there. Memes are great, (take a look at my title) but when it comes to something that is advertised as a competition... I expect an actual competition. People would still do the gauntlet if there were less fan favorites, but the votes would be more spread out amongst the different competitors, therefore resulting in more exciting and close battles, much like the Chrom vs. Ephraim match of the first gauntlet. 

Plus I generally don't like Camilla very much...

Just now, Duwang said:

I have to disagree there. Memes are great, (take a look at my title) but when it comes to something that is advertised as a competition... I expect an actual competition. People would still do the gauntlet if there were less fan favorites, but the votes would be more spread out amongst the different competitors, therefore resulting in more exciting and close battles, much like the Chrom vs. Ephraim match of the first gauntlet. 

The Chrom v. Ephraim battle didn't excite me very much.  I mostly just didn't care even though I was on Chrom's side.  I was just trying to game it, because I knew that the action would be on Girl Marth.  

I would trade an 'exciting' competition every day of the week for videos like this:  

1 minute ago, Duwang said:

I mean... I do, but I can see that this was a really one-sided competition at the get-go lol... Putting Camilla alongside characters like Subaki, Beruka, and Palla is kind of a death sentence for all of them... If she weren't there, they might very well have stood a more reasonable chance at winning. 

Any lineup where you can look at the characters and predict a winner pretty accurately is not very good. Thus why I left Tharja out of my 'dark mages' group even though I like her too lol.

2 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

I mean... I do, but I can see that this was a really one-sided competition at the get-go lol... Putting Camilla alongside characters like Subaki, Beruka, and Palla is kind of a death sentence for all of them... If she weren't there, they might very well have stood a more reasonable chance at winning. 

Any lineup where you can look at the characters and predict a winner pretty accurately is not very good. Thus why I left Tharja out of my 'dark mages' group even though I like her too lol.

OMG a dark mages gauntlet with Tharja would be hilarious.  The internet would not disappoint.

5 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

Putting Camilla alongside characters like Subaki, Beruka, and Palla is kind of a death sentence for all of them... If she weren't there, they might very well have stood a more reasonable chance at winning. 

Any lineup where you can look at the characters and predict a winner pretty accurately is not very good. 

And there's my issue. I play the gauntlet because I want my team to win and like to band together with my friends on my team to win. The feathers and orbs are nice, but I prefer the fun of competition over memes or orbs. When I look at the current gauntlet, in retrospect, it was so ridiculously unbalanced and I have no idea why I thought Minerva could win in the first place. I desperately want to enjoy the voting gauntlets to where it's difficult to pick out a for sure winner from the starting lineup. 

I think it's impossible to make a gauntlet that is 100% fair where all the competitors are of equal standing to each other. Even looking at the non-Camilla and non-Lucina battles, a lot of them had a clear winner. Only Ephraim vs. Chrom and Tsubaki vs. Beruka (which no one even cared about, not even the people on their team) were really neck-and-neck. That said, I definitely think that obvious fan favorites like Lucina, Camilla, and the inevitable Lyn and Ike might be best left to a gauntlet of their own (fan favorites gauntlet or something). It really isn't fun when you can just predict the winner days before the actual competition.

Honestly, I'm not even 100% sure why Lucina was in the first gauntlet instead of Lissa. The theme was princes and princesses, and Lissa is also a princess. She's also Chrom's little sister, which fit the theme of the other characters (older brothers and younger sisters) better than Lucina did. Putting Lissa in as a competitor instead of Lucina might've also made the winner far less predictable. For example, would Lissa have won against Sharena? Would Lissa have won against Eirika or Ephraim? I really don't know, and that's the exciting part! EDIT: This could've also affected Chrom's support and pushed him ahead of Ephraim, maybe.

Edited by Sunwoo

30 minutes ago, kcirrot said:

The Chrom v. Ephraim battle didn't excite me very much.  I mostly just didn't care even though I was on Chrom's side.  I was just trying to game it, because I knew that the action would be on Girl Marth.  

I disagree. I was on team Lucina (but that was due to coin flipping), and in all honestly, watching Lucina trample Eirika was rather dull. Chrom vs. Ephriam was awesome. Had me on edge.

2 hours ago, kcirrot said:

OMG a dark mages gauntlet with Tharja would be hilarious.  The internet would not disappoint.

I'm positive the memes that come of it it would be something special, but I wouldn't wish that even on the multitude of Tharja haters lol. 

2 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Honestly, I'm not even 100% sure why Lucina was in the first gauntlet instead of Lissa. The theme was princes and princesses, and Lissa is also a princess. She's also Chrom's little sister, which fit the theme of the other characters (older brothers and younger sisters) better than Lucina did. Putting Lissa in as a competitor instead of Lucina might've also made the winner far less predictable. For example, would Lissa have won against Sharena? Would Lissa have won against Eirika or Ephraim? I really don't know, and that's the exciting part! EDIT: This could've also affected Chrom's support and pushed him ahead of Ephraim, maybe.

I 100% agree with this honestly. I like Lucina just fine (though I was with Ephraim), but having Lissa fits the theme of the other pairs much better and I'm honestly not sure what they were thinking lol. 

2 hours ago, Duwang said:

And there's my issue. I play the gauntlet because I want my team to win and like to band together with my friends on my team to win. The feathers and orbs are nice, but I prefer the fun of competition over memes or orbs. When I look at the current gauntlet, in retrospect, it was so ridiculously unbalanced and I have no idea why I thought Minerva could win in the first place. I desperately want to enjoy the voting gauntlets to where it's difficult to pick out a for sure winner from the starting lineup. 

TBQH I'm surprised that Minerva even did as well as she did; I had no idea she was so popular and I'm honestly quite pleased that such a badass character was able to accrue such a following (although I'm fairly certain that if Cordelia was on the right side of the bracket we'd probably have a rather different picture in this round ;; )... I definitely sympathize with Team Minerva competitors in this gauntlet, especially those who were with her from the get-go x___X it's pretty ridic

Edited by BANRYU

Didn't Splatoon's Splatfests have some sort of system where the team that heavily outnumbered the other team got less points per person or something like that?

Perhaps something like that here. The more a team outnumbers the other, the less overall points a single person can get.

On 4/9/2017 at 10:23 PM, Suichimo said:

Ya'll are thinking too hard. Just take away the victory bonus. Feathers are entirely based on how much you pledge for your favorite.

To be fully honest, that would be the simplest solution. That would get rid of bandwagoning, so there would be zero incentive to pick the "obvious winner" and you can just go with whoever you want.

Personally, I'm surprised people are enticed enough by such a poultry reward. I mean, 500 feathers per win for only 1500 total? You can easily make up that amount and more through the Arena and other things.

Yeah I think more balanced combat matchups would be nice. Just because I /can/ beat 3 reds (that don't include roy) with 3 greens does not mean I actually want to do that. It's pretty suffering. 

Like if you brought a green and your friend list rolled a green the least random matchup generator is not give you a third green

and I was fortunate enough to not fought roy when i had full green team but that's not the case for everyone

Edited by Thor Odinson

4 hours ago, BANRYU said:

I 100% agree with this honestly. I like Lucina just fine (though I was with Ephraim), but having Lissa fits the theme of the other pairs much better and I'm honestly not sure what they were thinking lol. 

Yeah, putting Lucina in instead of Lissa almost makes me think they actually want these gauntlets to be complete blowouts. 

I can actually see them doing a victor battle gauntlet for their 9th. 

Imagen Lucina, Camilla, Ike, Hector and Lyn in 1 voting gauntlet. 

Anyway, I'd change the point system to a similair point system of the arena. 

The more characters survive, the more points you get. 

For example you get 100 points as basis

+10 for using the hero you vote for

-20 for every hero in your control that gets killed. 

So it doesn't become a pointless autobattle fight. 

19 minutes ago, Mister Cold said:

I can actually see them doing a victor battle gauntlet for their 9th. 

Imagen Lucina, Camilla, Ike, Hector and Lyn in 1 voting gauntlet. 

Anyway, I'd change the point system to a similair point system of the arena. 

The more characters survive, the more points you get. 

For example you get 100 points as basis

+10 for using the hero you vote for

-20 for every hero in your control that gets killed. 

So it doesn't become a pointless autobattle fight. 

The problem is, you only control one of the heroes you actually get to fight with. I'd be really annoyed if i lost 40 points because two characters died, despite having no options to pick who they were and having to suicide them just to win. I feel that would make the gauntlet way more frustrating than fun.

1 hour ago, Cute Chao said:

The problem is, you only control one of the heroes you actually get to fight with. I'd be really annoyed if i lost 40 points because two characters died, despite having no options to pick who they were and having to suicide them just to win. I feel that would make the gauntlet way more frustrating than fun.

Well, you can kinda control your second hero. 

I always got hector from my friends. 

And my problem with the current system is that I never have the heroes I want to support. 

I only had Alphonse and Sharena last gauntlet and only have Subaki this one. 

Atleast with what I would change I can still beat the lucky people by playing beter (okay, the penalty can be -10 instead of 20). 

Also a "fun" sidenote, people won't spam their flags the last couple of hours because losing a unit will result in a lower score and flags will be spent across the round instead of the end. 

2 hours ago, Mister Cold said:

Well, you can kinda control your second hero. 

I always got hector from my friends. 

And my problem with the current system is that I never have the heroes I want to support. 

I only had Alphonse and Sharena last gauntlet and only have Subaki this one. 

Atleast with what I would change I can still beat the lucky people by playing beter (okay, the penalty can be -10 instead of 20). 

Also a "fun" sidenote, people won't spam their flags the last couple of hours because losing a unit will result in a lower score and flags will be spent across the round instead of the end. 

Not everyone wants to have to delete all their friends to game the system, though. I really don't like that idea. Doesn't really encourage much, in my opinion. 

And why shouldn't people spam their flags when they want to? Again, this doesn't scream 'fun' to me, just limiting.

On 4/11/2017 at 1:50 PM, Sentinel07 said:

Didn't Splatoon's Splatfests have some sort of system where the team that heavily outnumbered the other team got less points per person or something like that?

Perhaps something like that here. The more a team outnumbers the other, the less overall points a single person can get.

...This is probably more sensible than the 'remove victory bonus' idea, but that's nothing against the latter. I'm not sure how it'll be implemented (hence why removing the victory bonus shouldn't be discounted), but then again, I don't really know how the Splatfests worked.

If you could earn EXP or SP in the matches... would the other members of the team who got your lead get SP for you? Say, when I had that Robin (F) out there for Team Minerva, could anyone who got her contribute to her eventual Gronnraven+? I'm fairly sure that's why the battles don't have much except the Quests from the first one (at the time, there were quests to beat 5 enemies with the focus characters, and getting them in the Voting Gauntlet helped contribute).

On Monday, April 10, 2017 at 10:45 AM, Kiran said:

There was already the CYL poll before the game came out. Rankings wise Cordelia was 14th while Camilla was 7th. However, Cordelia only had 56% as many votes as Camilla. Hinoka is the only other flier to break the top 50 at rank 44. 

In the case of Chrom and Ephraim, they were ranked 8th and 13th respectively. Slightly better odds as Ephraim had 63% of the votes that Chrom got. However, Ephraim managed to snag a close win during the voting gauntlet. But this was probably due to the Awakening fanbase splitting up and most of them siding with Lucina. Also Ephraim had a banner prior to the gauntlet and has WTA. 

With the exception on Chrom and Ephraim, every other battle had followed the CYL rankings pretty closely. 

Not really, Minerva scored lower than even Beruka on the CYL poll, yet quite easily beat Cordelia who was one of the most popular females.