Voting Gauntlet: Battle of the Mages!

Vaximillian

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

w E L l TH e Y boTh SUK

Ah, yeah. I think Lucina's cool, but I don't have much of an opinion on Robin. Robin in Smash is cool, but the MU doesn't matter that much to me.

Well, for Robin, I think part of it comes down to the fact that IS stinks at making Avatars because they give them too much personality. It becomes hard to think of them as me when they have more or less become established characters with the help of Smash and Heroes. I like Robin as a character, not an avatar.

As for Corrin, Female Corrin is significantly more popular than Male Corrin.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, SageOfAnys said:

I'm still shocked by the concept that a character's gender should even impact their likability. Like, at all.

It's unfortunate, but it's definitely a thing. Male and female Corrin are the best examples that come to mind. They're virtually identical in their character and decisions and their upbringing. The slight differences that are present in gender aren't enough to really change their basic personality. But the female one just seems more liked for whatever reason. Didn't CYL poll even have female Corrin within the top 10 while male Corrin was much lower down? The two are the EXACT SAME CHARACTER. It makes no sense unless gender and appearance really means so much to people :|

2 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Well, for Robin, I think part of it comes down to the fact that IS stinks at making Avatars because they give them too much personality. It becomes hard to think of them as me when they have more or less become established characters with the help of Smash and Heroes. I like Robin as a character, not an avatar.

As for Corrin, Female Corrin is significantly more popular than Male Corrin.

It's funny that you think that since most of the complaints I've seen about the Avatar characters are about people feeling they have too little personality. 

47 minutes ago, TheTuckingFypo said:

I kinda wish the gauntlet was:

Merric, Henry, Odin, Raigh, Lilina, Linde, Julia and Sanaki (though Leo is always welcome)

That would've been interesting.

I probably would have sided with Odin if there was no Leo. His stats are awful in Heroes but I love the nerd

11 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Pls, you liked Oboro despite her stats

How dare you insult my Oboro!!!!!

Just now, Sunwoo said:

It's unfortunate, but it's definitely a thing. Male and female Corrin are the best examples that come to mind. They're virtually identical in their character and decisions and their upbringing. The slight differences that are present in gender aren't enough to really change their basic personality. But the female one just seems more liked for whatever reason. Didn't CYL poll even have female Corrin within the top 10 while male Corrin was much lower down? The two are the EXACT SAME CHARACTER. It makes no sense unless gender and appearance really means so much to people :|

Female Corrin actually ranked 1st in the popularity contest for Fates females. 

If there is a game/movie with only 1 lead character or playable character, it will probably be better received by whichever gender the lead character is. But if there are many characters that you have to choose from, people often pick what they are attracted to.

5 hours ago, BANRYU said:

I'd be interested to hear your rebuttal if you wanna civil discuss in PMs or something, but otherwise fair enough. 

Absolutely. I would totally be up for having a friendly discussion. Even if we both maintain our stances on the character by the end of it, I will have at least gotten the chance to sample the perspective of someone who seems to have interpreted Tharja in almost the exact opposite way I have. Best case scenario, you might even temper my hate a little.

...Not having this conversation tonight though. Way too tired.

14 hours ago, Motendra said:

You. I like you.

...I'm not sure if I should be interpreting this as sarcasm or not...

Just now, Anime27Arts said:

How dare you insult my Oboro!!!!!

I actually really liked Oboro's spread and kit when she first came out, but unfortunately her Rally and Heavy Lance were both relatively useless. Then SI came out, and as I looked around I realized Ephraim was just better lol. Then came Lukas too...

2 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

It's funny that you think that since most of the complaints I've seen about the Avatar characters are about people feeling they have too little personality. 

I know, but avatars really need to be utterly bland to work properly.

9 minutes ago, Frenzify said:

Tharja: 8,278,192,527

Julia: 8,143,645,535

Naturally. As I said, the only way Julia can win is if she manages to overtake Tharja, with a x3 bonus in the last hour, which is really just banking on luck.

Were we ever banking on anything else?

Either way, I'm going all in. Julia's the only one I care about in these last four characters so even if it's a long shot I'm going to try to get her through to the finals. 

I figured the boost Julia wouldn't have been enough, but Tharja closed that gap rather quickly. It looks like if we hope to surpass her Julia is going to need that 3x boost to come her way in the final hour of the battle.

10 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

I mean how the commercials for Robin and Corrin being in Smash was done. It was M!Robin and M!Corrin that got there, not their female counterparts.

Eh, it was a pretty even split for Corrin as halfway through the character's introduction trailer M!Corrin was switched out for F!Corrin. Even in terms of the posters they pretty much had equal billing as F!Corrin shares it alongside her male counterpart, unlike Robin's where only M!Robin and Lucina are seen with F!Robin nowhere to be found.

Edited by Medeus

4 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Because being considered hot makes you invulnerable to criticism apparently to some people. It's frankly ridiculous when I see people specifically criticize M!Corrin for all the mistakes they made to explain why they dislike him while ignoring the fact that F!Corrin did the exact same things (or saying that she was a victim of circumstance to defend her).

Edited by SageOfAnys

Just now, Arthur97 said:

I know, but avatars really need to be utterly bland to work properly.

Hence why some people dislike having Avatar main characters in Fire Emblem games in the first place. 

In any case, I have no real problem with them; I'm just stating some common arguments I see floating around :/

31 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

If we ever have one. 

Celica ended up overshadowed by Alm. (Disagree both were equal in their roles till the end Alm dealing the final blow didn't dent her in the slightest that's why there both equal Lords).

Eirika was overshadowed by Ephraim. (Disagree with this especially when the story felt more deep and logical with Eirika plus there was more time with her especially picking Eirikas route).

Azura is overshadowed by the Avatar. (She was mostly leading how to "accomplish" the end of the war plus helped during endgame with her song while Corrin followed and lead still contributing alot).

Avatars are usually always associated with the male version more, given how Smash Bros had Robin and Corrin take as their male versions.

No problem. :D

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

3 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

well yeah, it definitely does mean that much to people

a lot of the people playing these games are straight guys so they're gonna like the one that they think is hot more

considering the top results in the CYL poll... i think that's a big factor here

3 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Female Corrin actually ranked 1st in the popularity contest for Fates females. 

I'm aware, but I was using CYL because that poll is more specific to Heroes and compares all characters throughout the series. Male and female Robin were pretty close to one another in CYL, and I feel that they actually have more noticeable personality differences between male and female. Female and male Corrin shouldn't be so far apart in the CYL poll if they're really so similar in personality, and female Corrin being first in the female poll while male Corrin is fifth when, again, they are the same character, is just something I find questionable. Unless people just don't care enough about personality and just gender and looks.

2 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

Hence why some people dislike having Avatar main characters in Fire Emblem games in the first place. 

In any case, I have no real problem with them; I'm just stating some common arguments I see floating around :/

In the end, I can at least take solace in the fact that he is besting the competition. 

Just now, Arthur97 said:

In the end, I can at least take solace in the fact that he is besting the competition. 

Same :D 

If Julia loses to Tharja, I'm most definitely planning to back Robin for the final round. 

2 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I actually really liked Oboro's spread and kit when she first came out, but unfortunately her Rally and Heavy Lance were both relatively useless. Then SI came out, and as I looked around I realized Ephraim was just better lol. Then came Lukas too...

The Rally is really good when dealing with leveling up new units, and yes her Heavy Lance is kind of bad, but my Oboro has a Brave Lance and she slays everything. And I haven't pulled an Ephraim or Lukas....

In Fates she was an AMAZING UNIT! I could go on and on about her amazing set up, but that doesn't fit for this thread.

Of the mages in the game right now, Odin would get my vote the easiest/fastest.

His attack is pitiful but he's my favorite 3DS character and probably in my top ten overall.  I adore the guy.

Best mage is Micaiah though no bias at all.

9 minutes ago, MaskedAmpharos said:

I think the problem with the avatars is on one end, there are people like myself who prefer to view them as an actual character, and thus perceive them as having no personality because IS tried to make them as relate-able to as many people as possible.  On the other, there are those who try to self insert and can't, because they have predefined actions and responses that don't always line up with what the player thinks.

So basically, people who think s/he's too bland are viewing him/her as a character more than a self-insert, while people who say s/he has too much personality are viewing him/her more as an avatar for the player that may or may not line up.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Just now, Anime27Arts said:

The Rally is really good when dealing with leveling up new units, and yes her Heavy Lance is kind of bad, but my Oboro has a Brave Lance and she slays everything. And I haven't pulled an Ephraim or Lukas....

In Fates she was an AMAZING UNIT! I could go on and on about her amazing set up, but that doesn't fit for this thread.

Oh, I played Fates. Loved using her, always gave her the Waterwheel.

I find that boosting Attack is so much more important for training units than boosting defenses. Raising Nowi with Fortify Dragons was painful.

2 minutes ago, unique said:

well yeah, it definitely does mean that much to people

a lot of the people playing these games are straight guys so they're gonna like the one that they think is hot more

I wouldn't consider this to be that big of an issue if people already liked both characters and just preferred one over the other. But when the character makes the exact same decisions as male and female, and only ONE of the genders is being criticized while people say "it's okay or more acceptable or more understandable for the character to do it only when this gender, or this specific gender is somehow excused because they're good looking" that I have an issue.

I've seen people give female Corrin a pass for things they criticize male Corrin for, just because she's a girl and "women are like that" or because she's better looking. That is not what I'd consider okay.

1 minute ago, Sunwoo said:

Unless people just don't care enough about personality and just gender and looks.

To be fair, it's not like all the characters in Fire Emblem are incredibly deep and well-explored as it is, and that goes much more so for the avatar characters that are purposefully more bland. I really don't see the surprise for a character's design and attractiveness being more of a focus in some cases when it's not like their personality is a huge strong point.

See my previous post for clarification on that point.

Edited by Sunwoo