Voting Gauntlet: Battle of the Mages!

Vaximillian

16 minutes ago, Folt said:

I mean, just look at the banners:

Hide contents

female-mage-banner.png

male-mage-banner.png

I love how they're so beautifully mirrored against each other, and Julia and Robin in particular both stand out due to the use of their special art, like they're really geared up to fight in this thing! So I really want them to face against one another for the finale!

Well, usually, Julia blows up Robin, so I guess the female side must be superior.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like some strange minority where I don't give a shit about the character's gender, just whether they're a good character or not.

Oh wait, I always feel like a strange minority. Nothing new at all.

Just now, omegaxis1 said:

Oh god, seriously. Samus is amazing because no one can dare to criticize her being a girl. How can Nintendo not even realize they have the potential for good female leads? Oh wait, not that many Metroid games out... Riiiiiiiight....

Yeah, she seems to be a true badass, it's just unfortunate that her games aren't really my cup of tea (I tried Metroid through the Amiibo tap thing on the Wii U that let you play demos of various old games).

But going back on topic, my score is lower than it should be because I was out all day and couldn't be on my phone, but I'm getting a decent rank on team Robin anyway, yayz.

9 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

If we ever have one. 

Celica ended up overshadowed by Alm. 

Eirika was overshadowed by Ephraim. 

Tbh these are probably the worst examples, since neither Alm nor Celica could win alone and their journeys are largely separate, aside from Alm killing Duma he doesn't really overshadow her in importance.  In the case of the twin versions of Alm and Celica, Lance-Alm only takes over the plot if you pick him at the route split.  If you don't, it's Magicless-Celica's game through and through.

Lyn, Lucina, and Micaiah are shafted way harder than Celica and Eirika are.  Lucina in particular doesn't even give game overs.

Just now, Arthur97 said:

Well, nice to see that it quickly devolved into a mudslinging contest while I was gone. Whose character shall we insult next?

So, uh, Mr. Arthur.... Who's your favourite FE character?

The way you said that made me laugh so hard with the innuendo you had there. XDDDD

Ah... I think you overthought it...

>w>

1 minute ago, Sunwoo said:

I feel like some strange minority where I don't give a shit about the character's gender, just whether they're a good character or not.

Me too lol

I look at the unit 

I look at the stats

I say I like or not

EZ

Just now, Anacybele said:

Yeah, she seems to be a true badass, it's just unfortunate that her games aren't really my cup of tea (I tried Metroid through the Amiibo tap thing on the Wii U that let you play demos of various old games).

But going back on topic, my score is lower than it should be because I was out all day and couldn't be on my phone, but I'm getting a decent rank on team Robin anyway, yayz.

True, but Samus is still an awesome character and is still seen as a role model.

You know, the only reason I managed to get that multiplier that one time was because at that moment, I had to wake up early morning for work.

9 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

So, like, is most of team Robin just waiting for the multiplier or saving up their flags?

I'm only spending flags when I get the 3x bonus. I've only spent 400 flags (because we have only gotten the bonus once) and there are only 3,500 people ahead of me, so yeah it seems that everyone is either saving their flags or wait for the bonus.

It's nice that we get Hero merit for battles here, though I guess it might be too much to ask to get SP, too?  My Leo needs to get some more skills.

3 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I'm still shocked by the concept that a character's gender should even impact their likability. Like, at all.

2 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

So, uh, Mr. Arthur.... Who's your favourite FE character?

Probably Lucina, but Male Robin (yes, only male Robin) might be my second so mine are sufficiently dragged through the mud.

Just now, Arthur97 said:

Probably Lucina, but Male Robin (yes, only male Robin) might be my second so mine are sufficiently dragged through the mud.

w E L l TH e Y boTh SUK

Ah, yeah. I think Lucina's cool, but I don't have much of an opinion on Robin. Robin in Smash is cool, but the MU doesn't matter that much to me.

4 minutes ago, SageOfAnys said:

I'm still shocked by the concept that a character's gender should even impact their likability. Like, at all.

Why? If someone is attracted to women, it only makes sense that they would be biased towards good female characters as opposed to good male characters. And vice versa.

Edited by Hawk King

Tharja: 8,278,192,527

Julia: 8,143,645,535

Naturally. As I said, the only way Julia can win is if she manages to overtake Tharja, with a x3 bonus in the last hour, which is really just banking on luck.

Edited by Frenzify

8 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Avatars are usually always associated with the male version more, given how Smash Bros had Robin and Corrin take as their male versions.

I think it's a bit more equal for the Corrins actually, since both are used as the face for the main Fates games. (Which might have inspired them to give Corrin both genders as amiibo.)

M!Robin however has kind of become the face of the Robin character, probably helped along by the fact that only he got an amiibo and had major screentime in Robin and Lucina's trailer.

2 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Tbh these are probably the worst examples, since neither Alm nor Celica could win alone and their journeys are largely separate, aside from Alm killing Duma he doesn't really overshadow her in importance.  In the case of the twin versions of Alm and Celica, Lance-Alm only takes over the plot if you pick him at the route split.  If you don't, it's Magicless-Celica's game through and through.

Lyn, Lucina, and Micaiah are shafted way harder than Celica and Eirika are.  Lucina in particular doesn't even give game overs.

They could play a role, sure, but they DO get overshadowed by Alm and Ephraim in the end regardless. People show more favoritism towards Alm and Ephraim despite how Celica and Eirika still play a huge role. I said them because they are actually the more stronger examples of how a female can get close to the lead, but never actually have it for themselves without having a guy overshadow them or share it.

Just now, Folt said:

I think it's a bit more equal for the Corrins actually, since both are used as the face for the main Fates games. (Which might have inspired them to give Corrin both genders as amiibo.)

M!Robin however has kind of become the face of the Robin character, probably helped along by the fact that only he got an amiibo and had major screentime in Robin and Lucina's trailer.

I mean how the commercials for Robin and Corrin being in Smash was done. It was M!Robin and M!Corrin that got there, not their female counterparts.

1 minute ago, Frenzify said:

Naturally. As I said, the only way Julia can win is if she manages to overtake Tharja in the last update, which is really just banking on luck.

... Julia, don't give up!

5 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

i think alm and celica have a good enough balance

my problem is less alm killing duma and more alm the one who gets the big emotional revelation, while celica doesn't really get anything like that. remake might improve that though with that new character they added, but they also added a new character on alm's side, so it seems a bit uneven. still, I think the bigger problem overall with those two is that alm was right and celica was wrong, rather than there being any real gray area

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

It's nice that we get Hero merit for battles here, though I guess it might be too much to ask to get SP, too?  My Leo needs to get some more skills.

yeah my hector could really use some more SP, i'm not really sure why we don't get any here

3 minutes ago, SageOfAnys said:

i mean

i don't like to admit it but i'm gonna be more inclined to like female characters than male characters

because I am a straight male who likes girls

it's fairly simple how that goes, really

1 minute ago, Hawk King said:

Why? If someone is attracted to women, it only makes sense that they would be biased towards good female characters as opposed to good male characters. And vice versa.

That's not really how that works. 

As unfortunate as it is, any time a female character gets the spotlight, it's almost always male fans that are the ones dragging her down. At the very least, if they aren't a numerical majority (which I think they are), they're certainly the most vocal about it. 

I mean how the commercials for Robin and Corrin being in Smash was done. It was M!Robin and M!Corrin that got there, not their female counterparts.

F!Corrin actually appeared during the main segment of Corrin's trailer which is more than what I can say for F!Robin being simply a footnote in Robin's.

3 minutes ago, a bear said:

Don't give up Julia!

Just now, Hawk King said:

Why? If someone is attracted to women, it only makes sense that they would be bias towards good female characters as opposed to good male characters. And vice versa.

Honestly, at least for me, physical appearance of a character means anything. And it can go the other way too, don't guys also sometimes have a tendency to like guy characters a little more because they're guys and vice versa for girls? Granted, this kind of bias is more common in youth while the bias you mentioned is more common in older people.

Either way, there is a reason for bias towards both genders for guys and girls respectively.