Fate/Grand Order General

Caster

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, Archer of Red said:

Nah, it was three apples in the myth. Hence, the 'I'm pretty sure she'd be pissed' joke.

But she literally gives you a Golden Apple for Valentines day, so...

Hey, this is the same universe where numerous characters, real or ficitional, are female. Surely a little more revisionist history wouldn’t hurt.

Spoiler

I actually didn’t catch the number of apples thing

19 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Hey, this is the same universe where numerous characters, real or ficitional, are female. Surely a little more revisionist history wouldn’t hurt.

Reveal hidden contents

I actually didn’t catch the number of apples thing

Oh trust me, I'll take waifus over historical accuracy any day of the week ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) unless they do some really egregious shit.

Spoiler

Atalanta is a relatively minor character in the fucking labyrinthine mess that is Greek Mythology, I only know about it cause she's my tied-for-first waifu.

2 minutes ago, Archer of Red said:

Hide contents

Atalanta is a relatively minor character in the fucking labyrinthine mess that is Greek Mythology, I only know about it cause she's my tied-for-first waifu.

I got her from a ticket summon during the event. I would take that as a good sign, but I like playing Arts archers aka IMAOTOGE more.

Maybe I’ll get some use out of that Quick Up active on a team with Caesar and Gil for the one hit wonder crits and NPs.

3 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

I got her from a ticket summon during the event. I would take that as a good sign, but I like playing Arts archers aka IMAOTOGE more.

Maybe I’ll get some use out of that Quick Up active on a team with Caesar and Gil for the one hit wonder crits and NPs.

Fuck you m8 ;_;

Anyway @eclipse, you'll get another chance to roll for Waver soon :P:

31 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Surely a little more revisionist history wouldn’t hurt.

They could dial that back a bit ... We all know what happened with Blackbeard.

11 minutes ago, Archer of Red said:

Atalanta is a relatively minor character in the fucking labyrinthine mess that is Greek Mythology.

To be fair, most of Fate Servants are obscure figures of mythology. Only a few are internationally known like the Knights of the Round Table (Percival when?), Heracles or Achilles from the Illiad. I don't think a lot of people know about Karna or Diarmud in comparision.

Personally I'm just waiting for anything from Sengoku (which is like a mine for lore) and Odysseus/Ulysses.

EDIT:
Wish I had Quartz/Tickets for that banner. Lancelot and Zhuge Liang are one of my top priorities.

Edited by Talandar

17 minutes ago, Archer of Red said:

Fuck you m8 ;_;

I mean I never said she was bad

Having one skill take up a unit slot doesn’t seem all that great though

15 minutes ago, Talandar said:

Blackbeard is fantastic what are you on

Is there any chance of there being any other servants based in American—or at least western—history or literature? We have Thomas Edison, Geronimo, Billy the Kid, Quetzalcoatl, and Paul Bunyan, but that seems pretty small compared to what’s on the other side of the Atlantic ocean.

What do you mean America isn’t the only country in the world

Edited by MrSmokestack

1 minute ago, Talandar said:

Don't remind me...

1 minute ago, Talandar said:

To be fair, most of Fate Servants are obscure figures of mythology. Only a few are internationally known like the Knights of the Round Table (Percival when?), Heracles or Achilles from the Illiad. I don't think a lot of people know about Karna or Diarmud in comparision.

I know, but that's why I don't expect people to have an encyclopedic knowledge of the lesser known heroes. Like I said, I only knew the specifics about Atalanta because she and Scathach bae (although Scathch's lore is pretty much entirely original, but I digress).

3 minutes ago, Talandar said:

Personally I'm just waiting for anything from Sengoku (which is like a mine for lore) and Odysseus/Ulysses.

I can get behind that, but personally speaking I feel like Chinese and Indian mythology has been tragically under-utilised.

6 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

I mean I never said she was bad

Having one skill take up a unit slot doesn’t seem all that great though

No, fuck you because you have my waifu and I don't ;-;

I don't care if she's not great, I'll 100 10/10/10 NP 5 her regardless!

2 minutes ago, Archer of Red said:

No, fuck you because you have my waifu and I don't ;-;

I don't care if she's not great, I'll 100 10/10/10 NP 5 her regardless!

Oh, now I understand your pain.

Tamamo-no-Bae is great and all, but if Jeanne Alter comes around and I don’t roll her, I would pay money to buy an account with her on it. Or reroll until the end of time. But most likely buy one.

Eyy if you had rolled Tamamo we could have traded

5 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Oh, now I understand your pain.

Tamamo-no-Bae is great and all, but if Jeanne Alter comes around and I don’t roll her, I would pay money to buy an account with her on it. Or reroll until the end of time. But most likely buy one.

Eyy if you had rolled Tamamo we could have traded

Ah well, maybe RNGesus will smile upon me if/when I'm re-rolling for Scathach.

7 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Blackbeard is fantastic what are you on

Officer, it's this one!

7 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Is there any chance of there being any other servants based in American—or at least western—history or literature?

George Armstrong Custer
George Washington

In general, there are some American heroes that could be used. Problem is how people are going to react to that. It's not like that Americans are a bit ... sensitive about this topic.

6 minutes ago, Archer of Red said:

I feel like Chinese and Indian mythology has been tragically under-utilised.

Indian I can't say but Chinese seems to be covered well for now.
We have the main character of "Journey to the West", the most infamous warrior and the famous strategist of "Three Kingdoms" and a bunch of Assassins. A good amount of the most famous pieces in Chinese Literature are covered. I suppose we could get Guan Yu since he is most worshipped warrior of the tale.

@Talandar That is very true. Imagine that one nut who vouched for Parvati to be removed from FGO JP and multiply that by, I don’t know, millions of people also willfully ignorant about the situation.

It’s really dumb but that’s the world we live in. Stirring up controversy over a fictional game for no reason~

7 minutes ago, Talandar said:

We have the main character of "Journey to the West", the most infamous warrior and the famous strategist of "Three Kingdoms" and a bunch of Assassins. A good amount of the most famous pieces in Chinese Literature are covered. I suppose we could get Guan Yu since he is most worshipped warrior of the tale.

The assassins are entirely historical if I recall correctly, hence the stress on mythology. Also, I hesitate to count Zhuge Liang since he's mostly just a vehicle through which to include Waver. This leaves us with an unintelligble 3* berserker and Xuanzang, who I have no troubles with. Still, it'd be nice to get people like Nezha, Erlang Shen and Wukong in at the very least.

3 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

@Talandar That is very true. Imagine that one nut who vouched for Parvati to be removed from FGO JP and multiply that by, I don’t know, millions of people also willfully ignorant about the situation.

It’s really dumb but that’s the world we live in. Stirring up controversy over a fictional game for no reason~

I'm going to be generous and ignore the fact that you just linked me to KiA >_>

Isn't that the same guy who got pissy about the inclusion of Indian Gods in Smite? If I'm right, I'd say he's about as reputable Jack Thompson and can be safely ignored.

3 minutes ago, Talandar said:

You know that they are going to collab with Toei to include Goku right?

I don't really follow that sort of stuff, so fuck yeah I'm hyped! Still feel like Indian mythology is really underutilised. Norse as well, not that I think about it.

12 minutes ago, Talandar said:

In general, there are some American heroes that could be used. Problem is how people are going to react to that. It's not like that Americans are a bit ... sensitive about this topic.

Well racism towards Africans (and slavery), Native Americans (and land stealing/wars), and Asians have all existed in the US for its history, plus sexism, anti-Semitism, Islamophobia, elitism, and other bad things. They've existed elsewhere too, but it isn't so bad if it happens in the premodern world.

Putting Theodore Roosevelt in would be awesome (and on you can always emphasize his pro-environmentalism), but he, one of the more sterling Presidents and fairly modern at that, did say leaving Cuba and the Phillippines to Spain would be "like leaving Arizona to the Apaches". So in one quip he displays racism to like 3 groups (but he was for the time pro-African Americans as his Booker T. Washington White House invite symbolized). Add the Gentleman's Agreement with Japan for this (it shut down Japanese immigration to the US overnight) and the Big Stick.

41 minutes ago, MrSmokestack said:

Is there any chance of there being any other servants based in American—or at least western—history or literature? We have Thomas Edison, Geronimo, Billy the Kid, Quetzalcoatl, and Paul Bunyan, but that seems pretty small compared to what’s on the other side of the Atlantic ocean.

I'm chiming in not because I play Fates, I never have. I just want to talk this additional mythological/historical characters stuff. Pardon me if I mention someone who is actually in the Fates universe.

Code Name STEAM managed to make a 12 character roster out of just old American/English literary characters. How about Dorothy and her trio? Maybe someone out of Edgar Allen Poe's works? Moby Dick characters? Why not just make Henry David Thoreau himself a hippy?

For historical- Benedict Arnold is 100% a hated traitor- so he's pretty uncontroversial. Molly Pitcher, the Revolutionary War woman who handed out drinks to the men and manned a cannon when her husband fell in battle never existed as a single person, she's an amalgamation of many women. She could work. 

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

<Snip>

On the matter of American servants, I feel like we should use Christopher Columbus as an example here; the game doesn't deny the fact that he was an idealistic explorer and how he was an excellent pioneer, but it also doesn't hesitate to show that his old-world values are disgusting and wrong.

You could do similar things with other American servants; you could show how George Washington was a good leader and helped establish his country as an independent power against rather significant odds, but also have him regret how he played into African-American slavery and how he didn't do enough to help him. You could do a Mordred with Benedict Arnold; not shy away from how he was a traitor, but also demonstrate the conditions/motivations that led him to turn traitor and the degree to which this explains and/or excuses his actions. Hell, you could even put in Stonewall Jackson and try to reconcile/deconstruct how his 'I'm just following orders' attitude played into his active defense of slavery.

The point is that you can include servants like them, but you have to do it while exploring the controversial and unsavoury aspects of their lives tactfully.

Edited by Archer of Red

4 hours ago, Archer of Red said:

The one-pull miracle!  But I kinda wanna save up for the Gil rerun, since Kintoki's also on that banner.

As for American historical characters. . .hmm.  I'd love to see some non-military, non-politician characters.  If they can do pirates, they can do Bonnie & Clyde.

I managed to beat the Encore mission first try as well just using a full-blown Saber DPS team (Artoria Lily, Siegfried, Support Artoria, with Heracles, Mash, and Caesar in reserves).  Sumanai2stronk

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

The one-pull miracle!

Considering my poor impulse control and the upcoming Scathach banner, this is too real ;-;

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

As for American historical characters. . .hmm.  I'd love to see some non-military, non-politician characters.  If they can do pirates, they can do Bonnie & Clyde.

Lore-wise, the US is in kind of a tight spot because the most recent heroic spirit is from a hundred years prior to the 21st century (not counting counter guardians e.g. Emiya), which would be the Tesla/Edison time. Neither Bonnie or Clyde were born until 1910 and 1909 respectively and I don't imagine would've been famous till the late 20s/early 30s, so RIP.

Edited by Archer of Red

In the mini-event for Paul Bunyan they had Altera impersonating a bunch of different American historical figures.  The one that intrigued me most was when she appeared as Ruler Wyatt Earp.  He'd be an interesting answer to Billy the Kid, because you could have the outlaw and the lawman.

The only problem is that in most cases American Servants would mostly be Archers.  You could maybe try and force them into different classes.  Like maybe have Rider Daniel Boone or Sacajawea.

The ones I mostly think about being a possibility are the aforementioned Daniel Boone, Sacajawea, and Wyatt Earp, as well as Archer Wild Bill Hickok (though they kind of gave his "fastest gunslinger in the West" schtick to Billy the Kid) 

Theodore Roosevelt would be a Rider, obviously.

The one with the mustache. Heck, John Henry could be a (Rider)servant too.

Edited by Emeraldfox

I got my first 5* Servant recently, Orion. I was not really impressed when I tried her out as an NPC, but apparently she is supposed to be rather good. Other than that, I have mostly been farming EXP. I may try the higher level Halloween stuff before it expires to see if I can pull it off with my team.

For some American servants, Theodore Roosevelt (Rider), John Henry (Berserker?), Uncle Sam (Rider?), and Columbia (Caster?) may be interesting to see. I'm not sure how they will pull it off, but if it is ever made I hope it'll be done well.

I just started this a week ago and got Cu, D'eon, and Robin hood as my starters. Got Tamacat from a later draw. Haven't gotten any other sabers tho, which is frustrating.

Just drew Tamamo as my first 5* from a ticket. idk if she's any good, but I like the NP.

Got the event character and her NP all the way to max. 

kinda wish I'd draw a saber that had offensive capabilities, D'eon's more of a tank. 

what's the next event?