• Faye, Devoted Heart
    • Priscilla, Delicate Princess
    • Tharja, Dark Shadow
    • Dorcas, Serene Warrior
    • Catria, Middle Whitewing
    • Katarina, Wayward One
    • Sigurd, Holy Knight

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/2017 at 05:00 AM

5 minutes ago, Hilda said:

I'll support Sigurd, because every other choice either creeps me out because the char is insane (tharja rhajet etc.) or just doesnt fit in ther!

But Dorcas also fits perfectly in terms of enduring hardships due to love, he went as far as joining some bandits to pay for his wife medicine. If he had the chance he would've joined the army or something better but with Caelin being a corrupt mess there was little choice there and while his actions weren't the best it shows that he's a good man who was driven to the edge due to circumstances. Huh...Seeing it that way makes Dorcas a much better character (if a bit one note) than just some mutton meme.

Catria and Katarina are in a weird spot. Catria is the epitome of unrequited love without being crazy like Faye, after all she had no chance even before meeting Marth because he was already engaged with Caeda so there's no avoiding that tragedy unlike someone like Cordelia who would've had a chance with Chrom if not for her low self esteem and her perfectionism/overthinking. Katarina really shows her affection for Kris (and their support outright states that she loves M!Kris) throughout the whole game, but sadly Kris only has two thoughts on his head: Protect Marth and training.....the poor girl doesn't have good taste and is kind of a doormat but at least Kris is kind to her, right? 

Priscilla....Yeah I'm not a fan of what this is saying about her character so I'll refrain from commenting on her.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Lachesis is the one big offender. Arvis has his unexplained issues with Aida, and other issues related to Deirdre, yet to be fair he didn't know Deirdre was his half-sister until later, Manfroy arranged the entire thing. Beowolf had a fling with a Conote princess, and must have left Lachesis for some unexplained reason according to T776.

But the rest seems perfectly normal. I can't think of anyone else being problematic. Cousin love in the 2nd Gen sure, but I think it stops there. And mind you the existence of cousin love might be because you might get the subs instead, which aren't related to each other or the non-subs. The dialogue for say LesterxPatty is pretty generic from what i saw.

SeliphxJulia is not really a thing before or after they find out the truth. Silvia was deconfirmed to be Claud's lost sister, Mareeta isn't Ayra and Galzus's daughter, and neither is Ares from EldiganxLachesis. As for AyraxChulainn- nobody knows what his exact genealogy is- it might not be so bad.

ArionxAltena might count as psychological incest the same way CorrinxNohr Royal is, but Arion has always known Altena wasn't related to him.

And now that I think about it, Archanea, Tellius, Awakening, and SoV are all incest free- good for them!

Actually...you can S support Lucina and Owain as well as some of them can end up related due to differing parentage. For example, since female Morgan in my playthroughs is usually Lucina's daughter, then she and Owain are cousins yet they can get married. 

1 hour ago, DefaultBeep said:

SigurdxDeirdre is actually one of the most innocent and almost naive relationships in FE, honestly. Beaten out by things like MarthxCaeda for normalness I suppose, but SigurdxDeirdre is just a standard "guy meets girl, they fall in love, get married, start a family," all the usual stuff. No incest, brainwashing, or otherwise unhealthy feelings between them. Now, if Lachesis was here... then it'd be a different story, for sure.

Fair enough. He's more the victim.

SigurdxDeirdre is actually one of the most innocent and almost naive relationships in FE, honestly. Beaten out by things like MarthxCaeda for normalness I suppose, but SigurdxDeirdre is just a standard "guy meets girl, they fall in love, get married, start a family," all the usual stuff. No incest, brainwashing, or otherwise unhealthy feelings between them. Now, if Lachesis was here... then it'd be a different story, for sure.

Their feelings are certainly innocent, but that doesn't change the fact that it was a relationship that should not have come to pass. Deirdre was forbidden from coming in contact with men, presumably to stop her Loptyr blood from being passed on. Sigurd effectively committed a crime, which isn't exactly better than obsession or potential incest. Whether he was initially aware of the taboo surrounding Deirdre or not I'm not sure, but ignorance is not innocence.
This scenario is probably the reference for Deirdre's line " I was instructed never to associate with others" and Sigurd's line " I love Deirdre—so much so that even were my love for her a crime, I would continue to love her without regret."

So that's why (I think) IS placed Sigurd into a VG with other 'non-normal' love-themed characters.

9 minutes ago, Azuni said:

Their feelings are certainly innocent, but that doesn't change the fact that it was a relationship that should not have come to pass. Deirdre was forbidden from coming in contact with men, presumably to stop her Loptyr blood from being passed on. Sigurd effectively committed a crime, which isn't exactly better than obsession or potential incest. Whether he was initially aware of the taboo surrounding Deirdre or not I'm not sure, but ignorance is not innocence.
This scenario is probably the reference for Deirdre's line " I was instructed never to associate with others" and Sigurd's line " I love Deirdre—so much so that even were my love for her a crime, I would continue to love her without regret."

So that's why (I think) IS placed Sigurd into a VG with other 'non-normal' love-themed characters.

Oh yeah, there are a lot of surrounding circumstances that make it less normal. Their relationship effectively broke a code that could (and very nearly did) ruin an entire continent. For as headstrong and determined as Sigurd is, I almost feel like Deirdre's side is even worse, since she willfully ignored what is essentially a sacred rule that she had been instructed to follow for her entire life. But compared to stalking, incest, and obsessing over a married/engaged/otherwise taken guy, at least these two have a mutual love for each other that doesn't involve being family members. "Innocent" might've been a bad choice of words on my part, though.

Dorcas seems too pure for this VG. I guess they decided that memes were good enough to earn him a spot with all the others. Katarina seems like an odd choice to me as well, but oh well I guess.

Edited by DefaultBeep

22 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

Dorcas seems too pure for this VG. I guess they decided that memes were good enough to earn him a spot with all the others. Katarina seems like an odd choice to me as well, but oh well I guess.

The only reason I think Dorcas is in the gauntlet is because he was hired to attack Lyn despite Natalie's wishes, and can potentially kill her. Still they have a pretty normal relationship. It just that Lyn needed to give Dorcas a wake up call to realize what he was doing working with bandits to save poor Natalie.

As for Katarina, she has feeling for Kris. But Kris cannot see that because he/she is Marth-sexual.

Edited by Jingle Jangle

Oh yeah, there are a lot of surrounding circumstances that make it less normal. Their relationship effectively broke a code that could (and very nearly did) ruin an entire continent. For as headstrong and determined as Sigurd is, I almost feel like Deirdre's side is even worse, since she willfully ignored what is essentially a sacred rule that she had been instructed to follow for her entire life. But compared to stalking, incest, and obsessing over a married/engaged/otherwise taken guy, at least these two have a mutual love for each other that doesn't involve being family members. "Innocent" might've been a bad choice of words on my part, though.

Did Deirdre even know she had a half brother? I mean Cigyun hopefully told people about that, but I'm not sure Deirdre knew it. And wasn't Manfroy on the verge of finding Deirdre anyhow? That was what nearly ruined Jugdral. Not SigurdxDeirdre.

Plus Seliph doesn't seem to inherit the Loptyr Blood, only Baldur and Naga Blood.

This doesn't negate Sigurd's and Deirdre's crimes however- they still happened. Even if nothing bad happened resulting from them.

58 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

As for Katarina, she has feeling for Kris. But Kris cannot see that because he/she is Marth-sexual.

Katarina was neither the first nor last member of the MC/Avatar worship/love group. It began all the way back with Catria, and has continued, if with breaks in the chain along the way, all the way to the current games. The big issue is that I think Awakening-Fates-SoV handled it with less nuance and made it more in-your-face than beforehand. Soren is highly unlikable for some, but his reasons for liking Ike so much have a fleshed out explanation at least, better than Faye for whom we don't have a real "why so obsessive?".

I think I'll support Dorcas. Unlike the rest of them (except maybe Sigurd, though I don't know too much about Genealogy) Dorcas is already happily married, and genuinely loves his wife, which is far more original and unique than the rest of them.

If and when he fails, I'll probably join Katarina as I have a 5 star version of her.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Did Deirdre even know she had a half brother? I mean Cigyun hopefully told people about that, but I'm not sure Deirdre knew it. And wasn't Manfroy on the verge of finding Deirdre anyhow? That was what nearly ruined Jugdral. Not SigurdxDeirdre.

Plus Seliph doesn't seem to inherit the Loptyr Blood, only Baldur and Naga Blood.

This doesn't negate Sigurd's and Deirdre's crimes however- they still happened. Even if nothing bad happened resulting from them.

I don't remember the specifics, but I don't think she knew about her half brother. She just knew that something terrible could/would happen if she broke that code, and then she broke it regardless. I always assumed that Manfroy couldn't have found Deirdre without her leaving; I don't know if that was actually a thing in the plot, but it seemed to imply (at least to me) that, if Sigurd hadn't shown up and/or if Deirdre hadn't decided to leave with him, then she would've remained safe and unfound regardless of Manfroy's attempts.

I'm certainly not saying that Sigurd and Deirdre's relationship was free of problems; again, it was largely an act of willful ignorance on their part, despite knowing that it would possibly lead to a terrible fate for their continent. Looking at the overall picture, their relationship is arguably one of the most dangerous in terms of consequences. But looking solely at their relationship itself, at least their feelings are mutual and respectable, unlike most of the other people in this VG.

7 minutes ago, Rex Glacies said:

I'll probably join Katarina as I have a 5 star version of her.

Why must you always say these hurtful things to me.

30 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Katarina was neither the first nor last member of the MC/Avatar worship/love group. It began all the way back with Catria, and has continued, if with breaks in the chain along the way, all the way to the current games. The big issue is that I think Awakening-Fates-SoV handled it with less nuance and made it more in-your-face than beforehand. Soren is highly unlikable for some, but his reasons for liking Ike so much have a fleshed out explanation at least, better than Faye for whom we don't have a real "why so obsessive?".

If I had to guess, Katarina is here for her "family."

39 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I know that, it just that Kris is very dense when women are interested in him. Most of the time he/she comes back with "I can't be with you, I'm for Marth only". It's sad really for Katarina.

Edited by Jingle Jangle

26 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

I don't know if that was actually a thing in the plot, but it seemed to imply (at least to me) that, if Sigurd hadn't shown up and/or if Deirdre hadn't decided to leave with him, then she would've remained safe and unfound regardless of Manfroy's attempts.

The script says this in Chapter 1:

Spoiler

Manfroy:
“Well, how about the Loputian blood link? Have you located Cigyun’s daughter yet?”

Sandima:
“Well, as of yet nothing, but I…”

Manfroy:
“You imbecile! Well, the boy… Cigyun’s son is in Barhara at the moment. But he’s of no use to us without the girl… Allow me to explain. Cigyun was a descendant of Prince Maira, the Loputo Emperor’s younger brother. In short, Cigyun was the only surviving descendant of the Loputo Clan. Now Cigyun broke the Maira Decree by bearing two children. You follow me, Sandima?”

Sandima:
“Yes. By uniting the blood of her offspring, the Dark Lord Loputousu shall be revived!”

Manfroy:
“Precisely. Now in order for us, the remnants of the Loputo Empire, to once again enter the world stage, we must awaken the Dark Lord at any cost. Sandima, you know as well as I what we’ve been through. We’ve spent the last hundred years in hiding deep within the Yied Desert, suffering extreme hardships, dreaming the day would come for us to rebuild the Empire. Well, that day is now upon us!”

Sandima:
“Understood. I will see my mission through, even if it takes my last breath!”

Oddly, it is never said when and how Manfroy found out who Deirdre was, he just pops in in C3 and takes her away. But given Manfroy manipulates so much in Gen 1, he probably had informants everywhere. 

Also, the script explicitly says Deirdre knows Loptyr can be resurrected through her via her cursed blood. So she knows exactly what is at stake. Sigurd promises to always protect her from harm when he says he will love her and that she shouldn't be afraid of the consequences of her falling in love. 

But as many an FE player knows Warpskip is win! And can bypass the most elaborate of defenses. Manfroy knew this too.

20 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

If I had to guess, Katarina is here for her "family."

Nah, there wasn't really any subtext like that between her and her group either. The best possibility is that it references her and the avatar of New Mystery, who she has no family relationship with, and didn't even know at all until the start of the game. Priscilla is really the only one in this gauntlet who could be in for incest. Which is surprising, considering they could've easily filled an entire VG based solely on that.

58 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The reason Deirdre was told to not bear offspring with anyone was because the probability that the person she would fall for having holy blood themselves was horrendously slim. Due to the hocus pocus magic going on for the inheritance of holy blood, had she fallen for anyone without holy blood, the probability that her children would carry minor Loptyr blood would be virtually guaranteed. Having only a single child with Sigurd actually had a virtually zero chance of having the child inherit Loptyr blood due to neither Baldo nor Naga having had an heir at the time.

I'm still convinced that either holy blood is somehow sentient or that there is divine intervention occurring to determine inheritance.

25 minutes ago, DefaultBeep said:

Nah, there wasn't really any subtext like that between her and her group either. The best possibility is that it references her and the avatar of New Mystery, who she has no family relationship with, and didn't even know at all until the start of the game. Priscilla is really the only one in this gauntlet who could be in for incest. Which is surprising, considering they could've easily filled an entire VG based solely on that.

I didn't mean incestuously, I meant she cares for them like family. Not the ones in the army, the...other ones. But upon further research, one of her supports with the male Avatar had her practicing some form of confession. Though, IS seems to kind of want to bury that Avatar, so who knows.

1 minute ago, Arthur97 said:

I didn't mean incestuously, I meant she cares for them like family. Not the ones in the army, the...other ones. But upon further research, one of her supports with the male Avatar had her practicing some form of confession. Though, IS seems to kind of want to bury that Avatar, so who knows.

Ah, my bad. With the previous discussion, I took the quotation marks around "family" the wrong way. But yeah, it's most likely the avatar; her relationship with that "family" isn't so much a familial love as it is a dependence without anywhere else to turn, at least for a while. I suppose she thinks of Clarisse as a sister, but I don't think that's present enough in the game compared to her feelings for Kris. I feel like we may eventually get a second New Mystery banner, since there's certainly still enough characters for another banner and some GHBs, but it'll be interesting to see if they'll add either or both versions of Kris at that point.

Catria is finally in a gauntlet? MY TIME HAS COME. And I don't even have to try either 'cause I have an extra 4* one at level 20!

I'll probably throw a Wrathful + Dazzling Staff Genny out as a lead since healers are finally viable. She's +ATK/-HP and has ATK +3 and Hone Attack 3. Just let me know if I should change leads.

In case anyone else on Team Catria wants to add me, my ID is in my sig. Name is Anys and current lead is Catria.

Without a doubt Sigurd, he's my most useful unit, and he's from one of my favorite FE games.

1 hour ago, Rex Glacies said:

I think I'll support Dorcas. Unlike the rest of them (except maybe Sigurd, though I don't know too much about Genealogy) Dorcas is already happily married, and genuinely loves his wife, which is far more original and unique than the rest of them.

If and when he fails, I'll probably join Katarina as I have a 5 star version of her.

Sigurd loved Deirdre, and had Seliph with her, but Manfroy kidnapped Deirdre, then wiped her memories of Sigurd, and set her up so that she would be found by Arvis and they would then fall in love. Sigurd ends up losing Deirdre, while he still has many political tensions, and wars to take care of. He was accused of treason against Grannvale falsely for the death of the prince. When he tried to return to his own King to clear his name, he was betrayed by Arvis, and only then right before his fiery death he learns that Deirdre is the wife of Arvis now. He tries to call out to her, but it was no use as Deirdre doesn't remember a thing, except for a little Deja Vu I presume. Sigurd then dies betrayed and labelled as a traitor by his very own kingdom, under false accusations.

Edited by Logos

50 minutes ago, Logos said:

Sigurd loved Deirdre, and had Seliph with her, but Manfroy kidnapped Deirdre, then wiped her memories of Sigurd, and set her up so that she would be found by Arvis and they would then fall in love. Sigurd ends up losing Deirdre, while he still has many political tensions, and wars to take care of. He was accused of treason against Grannvale falsely for the death of the prince. When he tried to return to his own King to clear his name, he was betrayed by Arvis, and only then right before his fiery death he learns that Deirdre is the wife of Arvis now. He tries to call out to her, but it was no use as Deirdre doesn't remember a thing, except for a little Deja Vu I presume. Sigurd then dies betrayed and labelled as a traitor by his very own kingdom, under false accusations.

Ah, thank you. I've read a bit about Genealogy's story, but not enough I know. That said, if Dorcas and Katarina both fail, I'll probably jump onto Sigurd. It'd be nice to see a Genealogy character win a Gauntlet.

57 minutes ago, Rex Glacies said:

Ah, thank you. I've read a bit about Genealogy's story, but not enough I know. That said, if Dorcas and Katarina both fail, I'll probably jump onto Sigurd. It'd be nice to see a Genealogy character win a Gauntlet.

It most certainly would be nice, and good thing it will happen. 

1 hour ago, Rex Glacies said:

I just might join you on Team Mutton.  I'm not really strong towards anyone in particular this time.