• Faye, Devoted Heart
    • Priscilla, Delicate Princess
    • Tharja, Dark Shadow
    • Dorcas, Serene Warrior
    • Catria, Middle Whitewing
    • Katarina, Wayward One
    • Sigurd, Holy Knight

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/12/2017 at 05:00 AM

I've been meaning to ask- where did Catria's unrequited love for Marth originate? Was it actually in FE1's script (I don't see it in SD's) or just developer notes? 

As for the VG itself- well we've had double Corrin and Tiki before, so the only thing that is bad about double Tharja, if there is anything bad at all, is who it is.

1 hour ago, Cute Chao said:

None of them are particularly healthy definitions of love, especially when it rounds Priscilla's up to incest. I always took her love for her brother as just actual sisterly concern. Pure and sweet. It feels like this is just twisting it because of the whole 'Disgusting' thing.

Agreed- why can't there be familial love anymore? Aren't siblings supposed to like each other regardless in a functioning family? I'm opposed to such as EirikaxEphraim, RavenxPriscilla, and Leo having attraction to Camilla supposedly- why does deep love have to go to incest? Lachesis and Eldigan I'll accept, but every other scenario should be strictly familial platonic love.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Agreed- why can't there be familial love anymore? Aren't siblings supposed to like each other regardless in a functioning family? I'm opposed to such as EirikaxEphraim, RavenxPriscilla, and Leo having attraction to Camilla supposedly- why does deep love have to go to incest? Lachesis and Eldigan I'll accept, but every other scenario should be strictly familial platonic love.

Fully agreed there. I never read any of those (except Lachesis since that is canon) as anything further, but now it feels like they're trying to make all of those canonically incestuous, and they added something between Leo and Camilla in some stupid book, which I loathed. I only saw a younger brother who felt a bit starved of his sibling's attention, which with Corrin around, everyone was where Camilla was concerned... 

But with people twisting Ephraim's speech, and now this with Priscilla, it just feels they trying to twist everything into incest >.<

Time to support Priscilla again! Let the glorious multiplier give her the same blessing as it did with Shanna.

Faye sounds tempting but I don't have her and either way both of them will be stomped by the Tharja twins. 

2 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

Google Translate renders 愛が溢れる as “Love is overflowing”. @Ice Dragon?

"Overflowing love" is accurate. However, 溢れる, "to overflow" or "to be full of", generally doesn't have a negative connotation (unless it is intrinsically bad for something to overflow, like a river overflowing its banks) since it's commonly used to say things like how little kids are gerbils filled with energy or how a marketplace is bustling with activity or how someone is crying their eyes out (overflowing tears).

4 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

"Overflowing love" is accurate. However, 溢れる, "to overflow" or "to be full of", generally doesn't have a negative connotation (unless it is intrinsically bad for something to overflow, like a river overflowing its banks) since it's commonly used to say things like how little kids are gerbils filled with energy or how a marketplace is bustling with activity or how someone is crying their eyes out (overflowing tears).

So can it also mean “obsessive love”?

2 hours ago, Water Mage said:

I don’t think the japanese are suprised at the characters chosen for the Gauntlet. I’ve heard that it’s japanese name is called “Obsession’s Curse”. That title gives a much better idea on who the characters were going to be. And in retrospect, we should have seen it coming.

AAAAAH That makes so much sense. Lolcalisation at its finest.

SO my guess is that Laslow and Virion are likely additions, though Frederick could be chosen and that opens a whole other can afterward. Speaks volumes as how bad romance has been shown depending on the gender for this series.

1 hour ago, Cute Chao said:

Fully agreed there. I never read any of those (except Lachesis since that is canon) as anything further, but now it feels like they're trying to make all of those canonically incestuous, and they added something between Leo and Camilla in some stupid book, which I loathed. I only saw a younger brother who felt a bit starved of his sibling's attention, which with Corrin around, everyone was where Camilla was concerned... 

But with people twisting Ephraim's speech, and now this with Priscilla, it just feels they trying to twist everything into incest >.<

That is the state of the world we live in sadly. Anytime two people are close, someone's going insist it's romantic.

1 hour ago, Othin said:

What are you talking about?

Given exactly one banner of the two in any voting gauntlet and not being told what the other banner contains (and if the titles of the "versus" Voting Gauntlets were changed to something that works without the word "versus" in it) and excluding actual roster limitations, you'd be right to strictly "continue the theme" in only the War of the Clerics and The Blood of Dragons Voting Gauntlets.

Given the Princes banner, you would have been wrong to guess that the other half is more princes. Given the Pegasus Knights banner, you would have been wrong to guess that the other half is more pegasus knights. Given the Nohrian Summer banner, and assuming no knowledge of the game's actual roster, you would have been wrong to guess more Nohrians in swimsuits (or even Hoshidans in swimsuits).

1 minute ago, Water Mage said:

What is the most accurate translation of the japanese title?

"Overflowing Love". "Love Filled Up to the Brim". "Lotsa Love".

7 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Given exactly one banner of the two in any voting gauntlet and not being told what the other banner contains (and if the titles of the "versus" Voting Gauntlets were changed to something that works without the word "versus" in it) and excluding actual roster limitations, you'd be right to strictly "continue the theme" in only the War of the Clerics and The Blood of Dragons Voting Gauntlets.

Given the Princes banner, you would have been wrong to guess that the other half is more princes. Given the Pegasus Knights banner, you would have been wrong to guess that the other half is more pegasus knights. Given the Nohrian Summer banner, and assuming no knowledge of the game's actual roster, you would have been wrong to guess more Nohrians in swimsuits (or even Hoshidans in swimsuits).

So, I'm confused. Are you saying it probably will, or will not continue the theme? Or that you can't tell? Like, will the other one be the poor saps they obsess over, or will it be more obsessers (potentially male ones)?

Just now, Arthur97 said:

So, I'm confused. Are you saying it probably will, or will not continue the theme? Or that you can't tell? Like, will the other one be the poor saps they obsess over, or will it be more obsessers (potentially male ones)?

I'm saying there's no way to predict with any amount of certainty. (Anyone who says it will definitely be one theme or the other for the other half is bullshitting.)

I'm simply placing my bets that it will be Alm, Raven, Robin, and Corrin because I feel it's a likely outcome.

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm saying there's no way to predict with any amount of certainty. (Anyone who says it will definitely be one theme or the other for the other half is bullshitting.)

I'm simply placing my bets that it will be Alm, Raven, Robin, and Corrin because I feel it's a likely outcome.

I hope not. Do we really need a repeat of the mage gauntlet?

17 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

"Overflowing Love". "Love Filled Up to the Brim". "Lotsa Love".

I see, I guess “Enduring Love” wasn’t really the best translation. 

2 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The other half will be very likely the object of their affections, like Alm, Robin, Corrin and Raven. They probably won’t put male characters that obsess over a female character due to double standards.

6 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

I see, I guess “Enduring Love” wasn’t really the best translation. 

The other half will be very likely the object of their affections, like Alm, Robin, Corrin and Raven. They probably won’t put male characters that obsess over a female character due to double standards.

Well if those are the guys in the VG I think I will go with Robin, since I am not all that fond of any of the units shown so far.  I will see who the guys are and choose then.

33 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

I hope not. Do we really need a repeat of the mage gauntlet?

Multiplier shenanigans will make things more interesting, especially if they pair each pair up in the first round instead of doing a male half and a female half.

I want to see Alm v. Faye. Or Faye v. Celica.

Actually, if the other half is the character's competition for their love interest, that would be interesting, too.

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Actually, if the other half is the character's competition for their love interest, that would be interesting, too.

Who is Tharja’s and Rhajat’s competition then?

And who is Priscilla’s? Lucius?

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

Who is Tharja’s and Rhajat’s competition then?

I don't know Awakening and Fates well enough.

Chrom?

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

Yes.

Edited by Ice Dragon

59 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Not only is that false, it's too far removed from the actual situation to be relevant even if it was true. Changing the names of the "vs" gauntlets and hiding information about which characters have summer variations could prevent people from guessing the other half of the theme of those gauntlets, but that doesn't hold up at all for Battle of the Mages or Choose Your Legends. And as I already said: this is not a "vs" gauntlet, so there's no reason to expect approaches that have so far been localized to "vs" gauntlets to be relevant anyway.

2 minutes ago, Othin said:

but that doesn't hold up at all for Battle of the Mages or Choose Your Legends.

There is literally nothing about Battle of the Mages that implies that one half would be female and the other half would be male. Same to a lesser degree for Choose Your Legends, though the results being split between male and female would have hinted that.

But the Japanese names of those two Voting Gauntlets actually reverses that. Battle of the Mages in Japanese was a versus gauntlet, named "Female Mages v. Male Mages", and Choose Your Legends was "Choose Your Legends Best 8", which does not at all imply "best 4 of female and best 4 of male".

The theme of this gauntlet is "love", and love requires two to tango (even if the other is yourself in a mirror). That Voting Gauntlet banners are split into two halves is too convenient to dismiss this possibility.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

The theme of this gauntlet is "love", and love requires two to tango (even if the other is yourself in a mirror).

So Michalis, Hilda, Narcian, Sonia, Caellach, Petrine, Oliver, and Walhart? Sounds like a good VG. Or just Michalis, Narcian, Sonia, and Oliver vs. their reflections.

2 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

There is this exchange, although I'm pretty sure Raven didn't mean it like that:

Raven: Meeting Eliwood really opened my eyes. I know that the marquess of Ostia is not behind the attack now… Some day… Yes. Some day when this war is over, I’ll go searching for the truth. And I’ll pay Ostia back for my suspicions in full.
Lucius: Excellent!
Raven: Except, I want you to stay home.
Lucius: What!? You are too cruel! Why!?
Raven: I want someone to go home to, you see. So go back, and wait.
Lucius: Why don’t you marry! Then there would be someone at home… And I could journey with you!
Raven: I need no bride to jabber at me– There’s enough going on around here already!
Lucius: W-What is that supposed to mean!?
Raven: My case in point.
Lucius: Wait– Wait! Lord Raymond!

We could say it's Rebecca, her support with Raven is pretty cute, but I have mixed feelings whether I like them more as big bro little sis or as lovers. I'm leaning towards the former.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

It's funny that I got my first Lucius in the Legendary Banner but I just wanted to say I'm supporting Priscilla in this - hopefully she can win this time! (She beat Lissa last time, so miracles can happen.) My Priscilla also has all the buffs V2.0 has to offer (save Wrathful Staff for her B slot...) so she should be better suited to this than healers were back then, at least a little :P

But yeah, Enduring Love has several...implications about her that maybe IS didn't intend (or maybe they did).

Edited by DefyingFates