Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

overall, a solid direct, simon looks pretty interesting, and holy crap dark samus' idle animation is great, chrom is everything wrong with the fire emblem smash roster (too much meth no creativity), and I guess I'm indifferent to Krool, happy for his fans though, he does nothing for me.

I really hope we get a Captain N trophy or an event which references the series, it is nice to have the team together and I don't want this to go to waste.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

Well, I suppose it's good that Mario can't instantly die while he is big, unless he gets crushed or falls into a bottomless pit.

Mega Man is totally dead, though. He explodes the moment he touches something pointy.

Edited by BrightBow

I think that my only complaint about the roster is that with the concept of "Everyone is here" we don't have any really out there characters yet, simon was highly requested and konami was already onboard and krool was also highly requested and had little else besides "sakurai just didn't care" to go off of for his inclusion, chrom is just painful and I recall dark samus being a sought after character as well.

With Ridley & K Rool here, I'm expecting Geno to show up at this rate. 

and Shadow survived another round of Assist Trophy deconfirmations, I do wonder... Also Chrom shows that the Echoes don't have to entirely be based on their original and Richter shows 3rd parties can have Echoes... Hmmmmmm 

I'm starting to think we may be in for at least a dozen or so newcomers total, before DLC. We're already at eight, so Sakurai clearly was trolling about not expecting too many newcomers.

Man, with all the cool characters and features, there will need to be something TRULY crippling for this not to make GoTY for at least 2019.

8 minutes ago, Jedi said:

With Ridley & K Rool here, I'm expecting Geno to show up at this rate. 

and Shadow survived another round of Assist Trophy deconfirmations, I do wonder... Also Chrom shows that the Echoes don't have to entirely be based on their original and Richter shows 3rd parties can have Echoes... Hmmmmmm 

venom snake/raiden confirmed?

@Dai is a game eligible for GOTY if it came out at the end of the year prior.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

4 minutes ago, thecrimsonflash said:

@Dai is a game eligible for GOTY if it came out at the end of the year prior.

I don't think it will be eligible for 2018 coming out as late as it is, and I want to say there has been precedence for a late release counting for the next year, but I can't recall.

What I want to know is who are the remaining top picks?

I can think of Bandana Dee (please Sakurai!), Geno and Shantae, but who else is there?

I've been looking for a clear close up of Chrom and Robin, I love them so much<3

I'm mostly gunning for Shadow still myself, Richter was a huge plesant surprise because he's my favorite Belmont but I thought we'd only get Simon, until that blue shirt appeared.

Even thought I don't play the direct was exciting

• Castlevania content is neat
  • Chrom is finally playable in Smash. Screw the haters, I like him.
  • Never played Metroid Prime 3, but Dark Samus has a cool design
  • So much content.
  • Never played a Donkey Kong game before , so I don't care about K Rool.

I want Jack Frost to be in the game.

Chrom was completely unnecessary. If they really had to pull a 7th representative couldn't they just have someone that isn't from Awakening and more importantly doesn't use a f****** sword. This makes my blood boil. There are other characters that don't use swords. Azura or Celica immediately come in mind from recent games.

That being said everything else about the Direct was exciting. Castlevenia representation is a bit surprising since ... well, Konami, right? King K.Rool is awesome.
A bit bummed that Dark Samus doesn't seem much different from the original. Some fancy Phazon moves would have been cool to differentiate her more.
I'm a bit afraid that this might be the last Smash from Sakurai, considering how much work is put into this. I mean, sure it's logical that a game like Smash gets bigger and bigger but this not only encompasses past content but also adds a good amount of new. We still have 4 months till release and they will announce all Fighters beforehand.

Considering we got 4 brand-new characters (Inkling, Ridley, Simon, K.Rool) their statement of "don't expect too many new fighters" seems moot.
Though RIP Shovel Knight. I was genuinely hoping he would be a fighter since his series is pretty much a classic by now.
Well, that leaves Rex, Paper Mario and someone from Golden Sun.

6 minutes ago, Jedi said:

I don't know but Wario is next.

Yoshi, he committed tax fraud

BTW, some one on reddit noted that the original 8 characters are in the middle of the main menu. This may be telling us that they are the only characters we get to start with.

1 minute ago, Captain Karnage said:

BTW, some one on reddit noted that the original 8 characters are in the middle of the main menu. This may be telling us that they are the only characters we get to start with.

They kinda showcased that during E3 when they explained how roster progression works.

2 minutes ago, The Priest said:

Well, that leaves Rex, Paper Mario and someone from Golden Sun.

You might have to wait till DLC for Rex, since they started development in 2016, not sure how they'll go about that yet though and I could be wrong.

1 minute ago, The Priest said:

They kinda showcased that during E3 when they explained how roster progression works.

We weren't sure if he meant the 8 starter characters or the original 12 would be the starting roster

I never cared about K.Rool but I think I really love him now.

He just looks so fun and expressive. Seems like he is a character who really benefits from the jump to HD.

Edited by BrightBow

At this point, give me Edelgard, Decidueye, Isaac from Golden Sun, Yuri from Tales of Vesperia (to celebrate the best Tales protagonist with the remaster on Switch), Banjo & Kazooie, Crash, and Spyro, and I will be hella happy. 

Also, maybe a Monster Hunter player character with various gear sets and weapons to go with the stage and assist trophy. Or just add MH gear as Mii customizations. That would work, I guess.

Edited by Etheus

I loved the direct. Excited about the game modes and rules. I think they really listened to what people wanted (squad mode) and put in fun ways to customize (charging final smashes) matches.

The number of stages is ridiculous and awesome that you can do hazardless, battlefield, omega for each (and 8 player on each).

The Belmont's aren't particularly interesting to me since I haven't played their games but I had low expectations for the number of true newcomers with this entry so any new move set is exciting. K. Rool is awesome, its definitely time he was included. It was awesome seeing the hero/villain match-ups before his reveal. I personally don't see any reason to be upset when it comes to echo fighters. I see them more as easy bonus characters so they could add literally any echo fighter and I would be pumped. If Chrom had been a full character I would get it more. I have also wanted a non-sword,/non-male,/non-blue haired FE rep in smash forever but echo fighters are meant to be easy add-in characters so I say put in as many as they want and have fun with it because why not. 5 main FE reps with 2 echoes is fine with me. 

It really just seems like in this one they want players to be as limitless as possible in what we have access too, and that is awesome. 

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

You might have to wait till DLC for Rex, since they started development in 2016, not sure how they'll go about that yet though and I could be wrong.

But Rex was confirmed already (see 9:00 of the Direct).

The only characters I really want at this point are a Rex & Pyra duo (can go either way) and a Rhythm Heaven rep (unlikely considering the more conservative newcomer list), so we'll see if I get anything I want.

And does Chrom look strange to anyone else? His moveset was clearly designed with a much larger sword in mind, and since Falchion is smaller than the Binding Blade he just looks off.