• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dragoncat

• null

• Sooks

• DragonFlames

On 4/21/2018 at 11:46 AM, Dragoncat said:

Why is sexual content in movies/games/etc considered more "vulgar" and rated higher than violence? Sex creates life, a good thing. Violence destroys it.

Because you can use tricks to keep the violence at acceptable levels while still being excessive. Seriously, just don't have gore and don't have the blood reach gratuitous levels, and you can keep even brutal fight scenes in the PG-13/Teen rated range (The Dark Knight trilogy is a good example of this, although I could provide others).

That, and violence can serve a purpose (whether it's meant to be a fight meant for laughs, or a disturbing insight into how unforgiving war and actual fights are), while s*xual content... tends to aim at the lowest common denominator, and it's difficult to be creative with the topic in a way that doesn't come off as vulgar. It's also not inherently a family-friendly discussion, and most works that have s*x aren't aiming for that demograph anyway.

EDIT: I jumped the gun here originally when I didn't have to, so once again I apologize for bringing the subject up again. Also, this did trigger my overall thoughts of my disillusionment with how "mature" works often aren't always more thoughtful or deep as their lower rated counterparts, but instead only get their rating for being more crude and/or violent than it needed to be. I felt like I didn't make that clear enough in my original response.

On 4/21/2018 at 11:51 AM, DisobeyedCargo said:

for not great history see this:

Since when was any nation great?

On 4/21/2018 at 12:06 PM, Armagon said:

What is located 20,000 leagues under the sea?

Sand, rocks, darkness, volcanoes. Basically everything you'd anticlimactically expect.

How did we manage to keep this topic afloat of a little over two weeks now?

Edited by Hawkwing
Explained why I jumped the gun at answering a question that I could have ignored.

@Hawkwing Wow, you really hate sex. I mean yeah, I see your point that society has warped it and stuff, but it's a natural part of life. It's wired into our brains to desire it, and it doesn't have to be vulgar. I've written "smut" fanfics that double as dawwww romancey stuff. Something about opening yourself up to that special person, being as vulnerable and naked as the day you were born, and giving into your most primitive desires while still having the civilized part of your brain telling you you're in love. It's very fascinating imo.

Anyway.

Current question: Because it's a forum game and they tend to last for like a month or more.

If vegetable oil is made out of vegetables and mineral oil is made out of minerals, what's baby oil made out of?

Because IS hired a manga writer to write the plot only to completely change he wrote so what was even the point?

Why do main-series Gunvolt games always have bittersweet endings?

I actually didn't read the story or any of the supports at all both times I played Fates(and I've never played any Gunvolt games), so I wouldn't know.

Why is the rum gone?

Ninja'd

Edited by ProfImpossible
dang ninjas

Good question, why is the rum always gone? Rum is the most important thing for a pirate yet it's always gone. Especially that one time when a girl burned it all.

Why do dead men tell no tales?

Because ghosts can't talk, they can only moan, so even if they tried, nobody would understand them.

If there's a zombie apocalypse, how would it most likely start?

Hey chicken neck! You should wear a sweater! Teeheehee!

Why are those teeny candy bars called fun size? Wouldn't it be more fun to have a great big one?

On 4/21/2018 at 1:04 PM, Dragoncat said:

@Hawkwing Wow, you really hate sex. I mean yeah, I see your point that society has warped it and stuff, but it's a natural part of life. It's wired into our brains to desire it, and it doesn't have to be vulgar. I've written "smut" fanfics that double as dawwww romancey stuff. Something about opening yourself up to that special person, being as vulnerable and naked as the day you were born, and giving into your most primitive desires while still having the civilized part of your brain telling you you're in love. It's very fascinating imo.

Spoiler

Well, I do think that s*x is fine in its proper place in marriage. I know that it doesn't have to be vulgar, I just hate how much it's oversold. Yes, it's enjoyable, and yes, it is important for the continuation of the human race, but it's not some glorious thing. It's just a simple action, and yeah, chemically, it is meaningful for the participants. I do think that there are other aspects of marriage that should be praised more often, though, but that's an entirely different topic.

That, and I'm a person that loves to think, and I'm also a person that's fine with sacrificing fun if it's means getting something accomplished. The thing that all of my favorite works have in common are that they've made me think deeply about something, regardless if the story was dark or lighthearted, humorous or somber, or even shallow or deep, and sex... doesn't have much depth. And the statement that its "fun" falls on deaf ears, as I would rather read a book or play a game, as it would have more substance that I could possibly use elsewhere.

EDIT: My overall point that I wish I made clear earlier was that sex is fine in it's place, but it doesn't need to be present in our daily entertainments and discussions, especially since it can't live up to the pedestal that it's been placed upon.

I'm also a guy that respects modesty, self-control, and prudence, along with a ton of other virtues, and sex when improperly used goes against all those things.

Spoiler

I would also like to point out that the whole "violence" response was only a small part of my disillusionment with "mature" or "adult" works. I largely thank/blame KOTOR 2, Mount & Blade, Mercenaries, Republic Commando and a few other culprits for that, as they manage to be serious and thoughtful games while still retaining their T rating, and they don't overstep boundaries that most "adult" works often do. I could go in more detail, but it would have little to do with the topic and I've spent to much time writing this as it is

Sorry for replying so late, but I'm a slow typer, and real life got in the way.

19 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Why are those teeny candy bars called fun size? Wouldn't it be more fun to have a great big one?

It would be too much of a good thing and it might not be profitable for the company in question.

In real life and fiction, why does nobody make molotov's when given the chance? which is the only useful thing about alcohol, besides medical functions. And refilling Mila's Turnwheel.

Edited by Hawkwing
Added two points to my argument/explanation.

@Hawkwing Okay, I respect that, you do you. I'll do me and enjoy my smut fics lol. Pun unintended...

Current question: They had some role, but they didn't build them themselves. Instead the ancient Egyptians saw the aliens as their gods and built the pyramids because the aliens told them to.

Notice I have nothing in my right hand, nothing in my left hand. Nothing up my sleeve. I'm going to take that coin from you and put it in this cup. See? The cup is empty now. Where did the coin go?

@Dragoncat Glad we understand each other and can put this topic to rest. Now please never bring up the p***s size of fictional characters in my presence ever again.

Current Question: The jokes on you! I don't have a coin on me! AHAHAHAHAHA... oh wait, that means I'm broke...

How did mathematicians find the numbers of Pi?

7 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

Glad we understand each other and can put this topic to rest. Now please never bring up the p***s size of fictional characters in my presence ever again.

Yeah, sorry. I didn't think someone so opposed to the subject would happen to see it. But if I'm in a topic where you are I'll keep that in mind.

Current question: They ate a lot of pie and somebody got drunk and the rest is history.

Why do "skating on thin ice" and "in hot water" both mean "in trouble"?

I failed Chemistry in High School (because my teacher legitimately quit) so i wouldn't know.

Out of your friends, which one are you? The truck freak, the crazy ass, the друг or the fighter?

Because it's made up of ghosts and most bands are made up of living people. They have a rivalry with Rob Zombie, him also being a dead musician.

Why do aliens abduct cows?