FE Twitter shows new Anna design, some footage (& on-going character profiles)

Jedi

1 minute ago, zuibangde said:

Judging her clothing choice from a medieval fantasy standpoint makes it even weirder because nobody dresses like that in medieval ages.

Well the fantasy part is the key component here. A lot of FE characters, no, a lot of medieval fantasy characters in general don't dress like people actually did in medieval times. Because i feel like if they did, the characters would be a lot less appealing. Some liberties had to be taken.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Well the fantasy part is the key component here. A lot of FE characters, no, a lot of medieval fantasy characters in general don't dress like people actually did in medieval times. Because i feel like if they did, the characters would be a lot less appealing. Some liberties had to be taken.

I feel that a lot of medieval fantasy stories stay pretty true to the clothing of the time. GoT is not explicitly set in the medieval period but it’s pretty clear the costumes are inspired from clothing during that time period and you don’t see zipper shorts and  Jojo hats in that show.

But that isn’t even the main issue. It’s just a bit jarring when the designs of the students’ uniforms, Male Byleth’s coat are clearly inspired from clothing in a time period that’s different to Dorothea’s accessories and Female Byleth’s costume. If modern flare is to be added to character designs, make it more consistent or go the fantasy route and make the accessories more like Rea’s headpiece.

Edit: I would like to add that I think the character designs are pretty nice individually (except for some hairstyles). It’s when I look at the revealed cast as a whole, it kinda feel like characters from different games being put together in one game.

Edited by zuibangde

17 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

I feel that a lot of medieval fantasy stories stay pretty true to the clothing of the time.

I feel like that mostly applies to the nobility and people of wealth though. Less so the common folk.

GoT is not explicitly set in the medieval period but it’s pretty clear the costumes are inspired from clothing during that time period and you don’t see zipper shorts and  Jojo hats in that show.

There's definitely exceptions to the norm, which GoT is one of them. I wouldn't use that as a definite example.

As a side note, i wouldn't use JoJo as a comparison because JoJo designs are intentionally made to be outlandish and bizarre (especially in Parts 5 and 6).

It’s just a bit jarring when the designs of the students’ uniforms, Male Byleth’s coat are clearly inspired from clothing in a time period that’s different to Dorothea’s accessories and Female Byleth’s costume.

Tbh, i feel like they mostly fit in. Byleth just stands out because he isn't actually wearing a uniform like the students are.

....the students are wearing some sort of uniform right? I haven't actually paid that much attention.

Edited by Armagon

Art is one thing.  Wandering over to whining over fanservice is well outside of what the Twitter account posts.  Or political messages in art.

In other words, cut it out.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FireEmblemJP/status/1126022143160963075

Big boy Doudou is here. Er, yes, that seems to be his name. That or Dudu? Anyway, he's a a commoner from northwestern Faerghus serving Dimitri, it seems, but I'm at work and can't translate more right now. 

Getting a bit worried that they'll pull another Fates and make a large portion of the cast servants/retainers of more important characters. 

Edited by Thane

1 minute ago, Thane said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/FireEmblemJP/status/1126022143160963075

Big boy Doudou is here. Er, yes, that seems to be his name. A common er from northwestern Faerghus serving Dimitri, it seems, but I'm at work and can't translate more right now. 

Daw, you beat me to it. I was so eager to introduce the guy.

Edited by Cysx

2 minutes ago, Cysx said:

Daw, you beat me to it. I was so eager to introduce the guy.

And satsuma seems to be taking care of the translation again. I'm superfluous. 

1 minute ago, Thane said:

I mean, so am I. I just update images at this point. It's okay.

4 minutes ago, Thane said:

For the next FE game they'll post when I'm sleep and you're free. And even now I'd really appreciate it if anyone pointed out weird wording etc.

Well anyway, here's what I posted.

Bio:

[Blue Lions] Dudou {? I'm seriously bad at names} (CV: Takahashi Hidenori, also did Owain)

A peasant from Daska, a place northwest of the capital {of Faerghus I assume, a place called Blaiddyd} and a servant of Dimitri. Owes a great debt to Dimitri, and has resolved to protect Dimitri with his own life. His stern face and stoic demeanor makes him often misunderstood, but he is a calm and gentle young man.

Convo:

"It seems you've saved his Highness. ...I have no words to express my gratitude. ...I will return this favour. If anything comes up, I will help you."

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

I wonder if they’ll change Doudou’s name for the localization. His name reminds me of the Pokemon Doduo. 

Also am I the only one that thinks that the in game model kinda looks different from the portrait of him? 

Okay, so they're introducing the retainers of sorts first, it would seem. Or at least those who are closely tied to the houses leaders. Wonder who Claude's going to be...

How does he live northwest of the capital? It's the sea up there.
I guess there are a couple islands...

Edited by Cysx

Yeah, the new guy's name confuses the hell out of me. This is what happens when trying to replicate sounds that don't actually exist in Japanese

11 minutes ago, Jakalak said:

I’m hoping that they each just have one retainer. In that case, I wonder who Claude’s is? 

Me too. I really don't want a repeat of Fates in this regard. Forced symmetry and identical roles for several characters isn't appealing to me. 

I've also wondered if the lordlings will have siblings. I find it odd how all the leaders of the three major nations have kids seemingly exactly the same age. This'll get even weirder if they're all the heirs, too (I don't think Dimitri has been confirmed as the crown prince, has he?). 

As for Claude's retainer, do we have a picture of his class in a menu? Hubert was right below Edelgard, so I wonder if there's a pattern there. 

Ah so I guess this week we'll be getting the seconds in command. Dudou is a really weird name, but maybe they'll change it during the localization.

By the way, in his dialogue next to his profile, he says:

"This is a flower from Daska; it prefers aridity. If you water it too much, the roots will suffer." 

(Suffer might not be the right word but he the word he uses can mean a lot of things, like rot and decay, and I'm not an arborist) 

I hope they will change his name in the localisation

48 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

I wonder if they’ll change Doudou’s name for the localization. His name reminds me of the Pokemon Doduo. 

Also am I the only one that thinks that the in game model kinda looks different from the portrait of him?

For the exact same reason :huh:

I like his earning, so fancy lol <3

Also It would make sense if most of the other students were servants of some sort to the house leaders, so I wouldn't mind it if that ended up being the case.

10 minutes ago, Thane said:

By the way, in his dialogue next to his profile, he says:

"This is a flower from Daska; it prefers aridity. If you water it too much, the roots will suffer." 

(Suffer might not be the right word but he the word he uses can mean a lot of things, like rot and decay, and I'm not an arborist) 

Aridity in the frigid north? Isn't that weird?

29 minutes ago, Thane said:

As for Claude's retainer, do we have a picture of his class in a menu?

Not to my knowledge. Could be anyone really, I definitely wouldn't have gone with "guy who tried to deliver an axe strike to his liege's back during training" for Dimitri's.

6 minutes ago, Cysx said:

Dryness might also work. It's lack of water though and not necessarily related to temperature; even in our world we've got plants up north that want less water than others. 

But yes, I reacted to that as well. 

8 minutes ago, Cysx said:

Not to my knowledge. Could be anyone really, I definitely wouldn't have gone with "guy who tried to deliver an axe strike to his liege's back during training" for Dimitri's.

Hubert and Dudu were both less prominent than other characters until their reveal, so maybe either that blue-haired girl or Lysithea? 

10 minutes ago, Cysx said:

Not really no. For example, Antartica is classified as a desert and is very arid. Just because it’s cold and ice and snow are made out of water doesn’t mean a place can’t be arid.

Also, I expect Hilda as Claude’s retainer.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

9 minutes ago, Thane said:

Dryness might also work. It's lack of water though and not necessarily related to temperature; even in our world we've got plants up north that want less water than others. 

I can't help but think back to the volcano we saw in trailer one. For some reason I always imagined it being in Faerghus.

Edit:

9 minutes ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Not really no. For example, Antartica is classified as a desert and is very arid. Just because it’s cold and ice and snow are made out of water doesn’t mean a place can’t be arid.

Hmmmall right then. Thanks for educating me.

9 minutes ago, Thane said:

Hubert and Dudu were both less prominent than other characters until their reveal, so maybe either that blue-haired girl or Lysithea?

In a sense that's true, but at the same time Hubert was easily the most featured character in screenshots out of all of them, and the only Black Eagles character with a face in trailer one. Du-something over there was one of the least, on the other hand, for sure. Either way, Lysithea would work for me. We haven't gotten a proper portrait for her yet.

Edited by Cysx