Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

10 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Yes, I meant series, but I had a brain fart.

And actually, they look kinda similar, but they've changed it radically in order to accommodate ledges.

Well I'm somewhat sure he's the only unit that actually recruits themself on enemy phase, so there's that. Also who in the world left Rafiel in range of the bloody boss on enemy phase only to discover that instead of losing their Heron that turn they were gaining another unit? That would have been quite a surprise.

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Well I'm somewhat sure he's the only unit that actually recruits themself on enemy phase, so there's that. Also who in the world left Rafiel in range of the bloody boss on enemy phase only to discover that instead of losing their Heron that turn they were gainin another unit? That would have been quite a surprise.

In fairness, Oliver only moves to recruit himself, so it's not that suicidal.

3 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

In fairness, Oliver only moves to recruit himself, so it's not that suicidal.

Yeah, I guess so. Still I imagine the vast majority of players ended up killing Oliver without realizing he's rectruitable.

22 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Zelgius acts like he has knowledge beyond basic human senses with his whole "I am needed elsewhere" moment in this classic cutscene

I always interpreted that as some kind of magic message from Sephiran. I can't remember the context enough to gauge how accurate that is.

On 9/23/2020 at 8:18 PM, Alastor15243 said:

Soren's been my most consistent one-rounder, honestly. Granted, I'm playing on normal, but he does a hell of a lot better at 1-2 range one-rounding than anyone but promoted Ragnell Ike, and that's mostly because Ike also has the speed to double everyone.

I was reluctant to add this as I really don't remember the details very well, but I remember part of the reason people consider mages kinda bad in RD is that all of their Tier 3 classes have speed caps below a critical speed threshold for endgame (I want to say its 34+, but don't quote me on that).

16 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

And then you can talk to him with Ike. And Ike, after hearing Oliver's “A true guardian of beauty stands with those who are beautiful” spiel... has only one thing to say:

Ike: Look... Would you remind rejoining the enemy?

I kinda like his Sephiran boss Conversation a bit better

Spoiler

Oliver vs Sephiran

Sephiran: Duke of Tanas, imagine seeing you here!
Oliver: Lord Sephiran, as lovely as always. But has it come to this? Must we fight to the death, and deprive the world of one of our beautiful countenances? Can other lovers of beauty endure such a loss?
Sephiran: I confess that your presence has me bewildered. Could this be part of Yune’s plan? I simply never would have imagined you here. Your presence proves that Tellius is unravelling at the seams. Judgement cannot come soon enough.

16 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Oooh! So Rafiel was found and captured before the Serenes Massacre! He was kidnapped by slavers, which honestly sends me on a train of thought that makes me wonder why the fuck they were so rare as slaves. If the herons were that easy to genocide, surely slavers could've just waltzed right in whenever they wanted and come out with, like, one on each shoulder, right?

I mean they can fly into the treetops, and use their weird mind reading powers to prevent most ambushes, but wildfires are a terrifyingly destructive force that aided in their genocide.

8 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well I'm somewhat sure he's the only unit that actually recruits themself on enemy phase, so there's that. Also who in the world left Rafiel in range of the bloody boss on enemy phase only to discover that instead of losing their Heron that turn they were gaining another unit? That would have been quite a surprise.

Funny you mention that, as I know the first time I recruited him, I distinctly remember be terrified to discover he moves, as I played through that map assuming he was a stationary boss...

7 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I always interpreted that as some kind of magic message from Sephiran. I can't remember the context enough to gauge how accurate that is.

Even if that is the case (the game is kinda ambiguous as to what is going on there) the game already set a precedent for using/receiving long range magical messages being a special Laguz power (wasn't that why they needed all the Herons spread out).

5 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I was reluctant to add this as I really don't remember the details very well, but I remember part of the reason people consider mages kinda bad in RD is that all of their Tier 3 classes have speed caps below a critical speed threshold for endgame (I want to say its 34+, but don't quote me on that).

Yes, it's 34. Coincidentally, people tend to cite this as a strike against the paladins in this game - all of them save for two (those two being Fiona and Astrid) end up with speed caps that are less than 34. That being said, the fire mages can get over 34 speed due to Rexflame boosting speed. Other than Sanaki, who's not very likely to get there.

5 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

4 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Yes, it's 34. Coincidentally, people tend to cite this as a strike against the paladins in this game - all of them save for two (those two being Fiona and Astrid) end up with speed caps that are less than 34. That being said, the fire mages can get over 34 speed due to Rexflame boosting speed. Other than Sanaki, who's not very likely to get there.

Well that's a shame.

Radiant Dawn Day 40: Chapter 4-5

However, Almedha, the queen mother of Daein, remains alone and aloof, lost in thoughts of here own.”

Yeah, I'm not gonna say it.

Anyway, yeah, this is how the game brings Izuka back so we can finally make him pay for all of his horseshit and tie up that final loose end before the endgame. How convenient!

...Okay, so Almedha is still superhumanly strong even without her beast form? Apparently Tibarn had difficulty restraining her.

Gee, it's almost as if these guys would be absolutely devastating if they sucked it up and used weapons.

Oh wow, this is...

...This is so disappointing. The first time we ever hear about how interracial relationships are divinely forbidden... is right here. Like a chapter or so before we learn it's all bullshit. Seriously, we could've heard about this all the way back in Path of Radiance, and yet we're only hearing about it now!? Stefan hearing from Yune's own lips that they never forbade anything could have had such a bigger impact.

Ooooh, it's Bastian!

And he's ditched the terrible iambic pentameter!

Anyway, I do like his lines with Elincia and Lucia at any rate.

But yeah, he captured Izuka, but Izuka escaped and...

...Apparently amassed a huge army of feral laguz to do his bidding? How...?

...Oh that's right. He's a summoner now. And apparently every single one of his feral laguz is strong enough to have not been turned to stone despite none of the grunts in the laguz alliance meeting that benchma-

Oh no.

Ohhhhhhh Nooooooooo...

...The people who turned to stone.

...I have to wonder.

...How durable is that stone?

...Because, uh...

...some of those people who were turned to stone...

...they were in the air at the time.

Whether they were bird laguz who were petrified and fell to the ground, or they were pegasus/wyvern riders who suddenly turned to stone on their mount's backs with a permanent, petrified grip on the saddle reins, their mounts scared and confused and probably eventually trying to get this weird stone weight off their backs any way they can, trying to buck it off...

...We'd better hope that stone is pretty damned durable.

Anyway though... onto the base conversations. We've got one where we see Amy (Largo and Calill's adopted daughter for those of you who forgot), who managed to not get turned to stone despite her mighty-yet-one-armed father not qualifying for exemption. This is, of course, because she's a branded and thus wasn't targeted by the divine judgment, though we don't explicitly know that yet.

There's a pretty dark scene here if Calill is dead. Ranulf winds up lying to her and saying her mom is just with another group, and does this cute little thing where he offers to let her rest on his fuzzy cat tummy... and then talks about how he feels like a piece of shit for lying to her after she leaves.

The second is with Pelleas and Tauroneo. Apparently Almedha looked desperately for a dark tome at every village they passed, and then when she found it she gave it to Tauroneo because she didn't think Pelleas would accept it from her at the moment. Wow. Yeah, she's... messed up, but really dedicated.

Anyway, we get a weird little scene between the bird laguz about who should get a shriek scroll, and...

...Yeah, it doesn't look too impressive at all.

Yeah, to simplify things, I've decided to name my weapon forges after the card they got. This, of course, causes some rather awkward things like having to call one of my forged hand axes the “Axe Axe”.

Anyway, Zihark's capped everything important at level 14 and doesn't need bonus experience anymore. I'll be having Nolan do the lion's share of the fighting today between the two of them until he gets into proper endgame shape. I'm also giving Zihark nihil now, since it'll be nice to have that on both of them for the sake of the endgame.

So the scroll for a skill at the bargain shop says “birdfoe”, but it says it teaches the skill “birdslayer”. Given that this is the last map where we'll ever fight birds, I bought it just to see if that's a text error or if they really did call it birdslayer and make this the only skill where the skill scroll doesn't have the same name as the skill (aside from, like, occult in PoR).

...Yep, it's a text error in the skill scroll's description. The skill is called birdfoe, like I thought.

...Alright, let's start the mission to see what kind of damage benchmarks Nolan would need to hit to one-round these feral laguz and if there's even a point to forging him a weapon that can do that.

But first, the story!

Yeah, so apparently nobody wants Elincia to know who their non-Izuka captive is until they can heal him and reveal that Bertram from the previous game... was actually Renning driven mad by the feral drug.

But at the moment, they need to take out Izuka, because he's started summoning feral ones. And I love Tibarn's line when he hears this:

Tibarn: What!? He's the butcher who twisted the lives of my kinsmen? He won't die quickly, I'll make sure his screams are heard in Phoenicis, Gallia... even Goldoa.

...Now, while I love that line, and I get the sentiment of why he said “even Goldoa”...

...Technically Goldoa is closer to where you are than Gallia is.

Right, so we have absolutely no enemies here who can't be doubled by someone with at least 30 speed, except some ravens. So Nolan should be fine in that department.

Alright, he can easily one-round cats, but tigers and dragons are gonna be beyond him without a crit or a colossus proc. Thankfully there are plenty of cats to take out.

Man, I wish it were remotely safe to bring Pelleas here. But yeah, I'll just have to check out his conversation with Izuka later.

Let's go.

Alright, first thing we do is have Bastian talk to Volke. Honestly, I didn't realize you could do this for a while. But I love this conversation. Volke offers his services for a ridiculously small fee of 3,000 gold, which is significantly cheaper than the weapons he comes with, because:

Volke: I don't like that guy. Call it a personal discount.

Anyway, Volke is a level 13 assassin with really good stats. Now this is what I call an endgame recruit! Pity he uses knives, but with the endgame knives he has access to, that's barely a downside anymore.

...Now if only there were enough strong knives for him and Sothe...

Anyway, Nolan's just diving in to lay waste to these things. The open battlefield means I'm not even bothering having Zihark join him, since he'd only steal kills. With resolve, Nolan is fine on his own.

Since I'll have enough laguz gems to use 3 non-formshift laguz in the endgame, I decided to just go nuts with my remaining laguz stones to get all three of my non-formshift birds transformed immediately. Man, I'm not used to my starting location being swarmed like this! I like when that happens, since it makes your starting formations matter way more. Though this is certainly no Birthright or Conquest in that regard. Those games were the kings of making your first move exciting.

Nolan's getting tons of high-quality level ups, which is good. It's nice having at least one guy in my army with balanced growths, since I'm out of bonus experience at this point.

...Fuck. Spoke too soon. Looks like Nolan's like one level shy of capping everything but strength. Man, it'd really be nice to BEXP him to his strength cap, since he doesn't have adept or anything like that...

...Though I could give it to him once paragon is off him, if I take it off either Ulki or Soren...

...Ugh. Fuck it, no reason to overthink this. Let's let Nolan take a break and have my air force swoop in to get the bonus exp.

Honestly, if I remember this by then, my paragons are probably gonna go on my staff users in the endgame.

Hey, let's have some fun! Let's see just how tough Tibarn is by throwing him into a massive pile of laguz!

Okay, so, he took out the dragon with tear and would've perfectly dodgetanked his flame breath regardless...

...And barely any of the other laguz went after him. Well, that's awkward. Guess I misjudged how far the laguz could move in the swamp or something. Now we've got un-slain feral laguz all over the place surrounding my party.

...Okay, fuck it, this is gonna be a pain in the ass to do properly. Let's fly-skip this sumbitch before he can warp away with that stupid staff of his.

I got an ashera icon hidden treasure. Wow, okay, let's see what else is in this swamp, maybe fly-skipping would be a bad call.

...Nope, it's just some olivi grass and a coin. Let's skip this. Especially since the only people here who could really use exp are the bird laguz, and even killing the dragons only gets them like 8 per kill. And besides, I've got a doctor's appointment that's gonna seriously cut into my playlog time anyway, might as well finish this quickly.

Alright, so, it was pretty trivially easy to fly my five fliers into range to take out Izuka's guards and send Tibarn in. And in the process I discovered that Janaff's bond support with Ulki means that gamble might not be as bad on him as I thought! I can get like a 30% crit rate against this dragon!

Now then... time to let Tibarn make good on his promise.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

The second Tibarn shows up Izuka goes “Understand that my work was never intended to harm the laguz, specifically!”, which is such a hilariously ridiculous line. Like, I believe him, I genuinely get the sense that this guy would experiment on his own mother if given even the slightest incentive, but...

...The fuck difference does he expect that make to what he's done?

And of course, awesomely, Tibarn doesn't even bother arguing.

Tibarn: No power on Tellius will protect you from me. With your death, I can finally lay my brothers' souls to rest.

Tibarn rips him to shreds... and gets an HPsauce level up for his trouble. Damn. Okay, so, story time I guess.

Reyson sings to try to put the souls of the feral laguz to rest, and then we get news that “That man in the black cape” is acting up. So they head back, and...

...Yep, it's revealed that Renning was given the feral drug and driven mad by Mad King Ashnard. But thanks to the overwhelming aura of order in the air at the moment, Reyson is able to bring him back to his senses singlehandedly.

Also... so that's part of why Bastian was so interested in going to Daein. He knew about Izuka and the fact that he made the drug. Pity he didn't find that out sooner, like, within the last three years, or so much of this could've been avoided.

But if they weren't going to make him make an antidote (they say he offered to in exchange for his freedom and they refused) because they already knew the galdr of rebirth would heal Renning...

...Why the fuck didn't they ask to get that done sooner?

Like, I read that conversation, and it doesn't sound like Izuka's interrogation gave them any information that would've made them realize the galdr of rebirth would work, they just knew that already from experience and... didn't think to ask in the last three fucking years?

Oh, also, yeah, um...

...So this galdr of rebirth that heals the shattered minds of feral ones...

...Um...

...Why haven't they been doing it?

Like, there have been two herons, which are enough to perform it, for the last three years. I'm frankly surprised that Reyson and Leanne haven't made it their mission to seek out and heal as many of the feral ones as they can. Like, I know Rajaion died soon after it was used on him, but, like, he was already dying, wasn't he? This feels like something they would've tried.

...Also, I just checked out Pelleas's talk with Izuka.

...Please tell me this isn't necessary for the Soren ending and the game didn't say.

Because Izuka tells Pelleas that he isn't really Ashnard's son. Hopefully he finds that out anyway.

Also, apparently Almedha hadn't seen her son in “fifteen years”. Only fifteen? But that would make Soren something like... sixteen, at the absolute oldest.

Soren was thirteen during Path of Radiance?

So all of that shipping the fandom has collectively been doing between these two... all of that was reading romance and sexual tension in Ike's relationship with a thirteen year old boy!?

...Uh... Sorry for the abrupt end to the chapter, but... that's all for today.

Next week... we storm the Tower of Guidance, and finally put an end to this psychotic, two-month-long journey.

Stay safe, everyone.

Edited by Alastor15243

So something I've always been intending to check up on but never got round to it, how many dragon laguz do you fight in this chapter? Because in Path of Radiance Ena says there's ten dragon laguz, yet you only fight like six or seven in that game which is a bit weird. Granted the game still has an out because Ena says "No more than ten, er, probably no more than ten", still curious to know how off her estimate was.

Though it's also been my assumption(?) that these feral ones are like zombies or something. I guess it's not really stated anywhere, but it's a better explanation as to where he got all of them giving there's neither a roving army of feral ones wandering around that he can get control of nor any actual available laguz he could realistically get his hands on at this point to make more. So if they are undead laguz some of the dragons could be the ones killed in Path of Radiance. Though how they'd get here from Daein and not show more signs of decay would still be questionable. Of course them being fully alive feral laguz still raises far more questions.

Edited by Jotari

12 minutes ago, Jotari said:

So something I've always been intending to check up on but never got round to it, how many dragon laguz do you fight in this chapter? Because in Path of Radiance Ena says there's ten dragon laguz, yet you only fight like six or seven in that game which is a bit weird. Granted the game still has an out because Ena says "No more than ten, er, probably no more than ten", still curious to know how off her estimate was.

Somewhere between 2 and 4 I think.

5 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Somewhere between 2 and 4 I think.

That could be some superb attention to detail then. Though the question of how Daein's dragons brought to Crimeia ended up in East Begnion is still puzzling.

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

That could be some superb attention to detail then. Though the question of how Daein's dragons brought to Crimeia ended up in East Begnion is still puzzling.

Well my guess is that he literally summoned them. Teleported them from some other location with his summoner powers.

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

Well my guess is that he literally summoned them. Teleported them from some other location with his summoner powers.

Well that just opens a whole new fresh can of works in regards to teleportation shenanigans. If Izuka had the power to do that, could he have just warped Leanne to Ashnard? Or does he have to know the exact place and nature of containment for what he's summoning. If so where were the feral laguz being kept that Elincia and/or Micaiah wouldn't have found them. And if they were being contained somewhere with ready warp capable pentagrams or something, whoose been feeding the feral laguz since everyone turned to stone? Izuka only escaped the night before, prior to that he was captured the entire time and at this point at least a week must have passed since everyone turned to stone. Did Izuka have some crazy loyal zoo keepers who kept on feeding the laguz somewhere while he was captured, were strong enough to avoid getting petrified and then continued to feed the laguz while the entirety of society had been wiped out. There's some crazy Tiger King shenanigans going on there.

10 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Well that just opens a whole new fresh can of works in regards to teleportation shenanigans. If Izuka had the power to do that, could he have just warped Leanne to Ashnard? Or does he have to know the exact place and nature of containment for what he's summoning. If so where were the feral laguz being kept that Elincia and/or Micaiah wouldn't have found them. And if they were being contained somewhere with ready warp capable pentagrams or something, whoose been feeding the feral laguz since everyone turned to stone? Izuka only escaped the night before, prior to that he was captured the entire time and at this point at least a week must have passed since everyone turned to stone. Did Izuka have some crazy loyal zoo keepers who kept on feeding the laguz somewhere while he was captured, were strong enough to avoid getting petrified and then continued to feed the laguz while the entirety of society had been wiped out. There's some crazy Tiger King shenanigans going on there.

Indeed, but also, one more thing:

How'd he get that rewarp staff? Even assuming it was a reward for helping the senators, like... where were Geoffrey and Bastian keeping the thing that it got so easily stolen after he fled and yet he's still somehow fleeing on foot?

Also, that means we were this close to getting our hands on a rewarp staff. Our allies had it for months.

1 minute ago, Alastor15243 said:

Indeed, but also, one more thing:

How'd he get that rewarp staff? Even assuming it was a reward for helping the senators, like... where were Geoffrey and Bastian keeping the thing that it got so easily stolen after he fled and yet he's still somehow fleeing on foot?

Also, that means we were this close to getting our hands on a rewarp staff. Our allies had it for months.

Desert swamp treasures?

1 minute ago, Icelerate said:

Sorry for asking this again but which Three Houses route are you going to play? I remember you said AM but I'm not sure. 

Azure moon is the plan, and I'm working to complete the remaining route I haven't done on my own time, that being Silver Snow. The alternative is to also do Azure Moon on my own time and then do both Crimson Flower and Silver Snow off of one split save file, so that I've already beaten the whole game by the time I do it and I can playlog as much of the game as is practical while only doing Part 1 once. But, uh... the thought of doing more than one route of 3H for this marathon... flash-freezes my blood, so... not really liking that option.

18 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Azure moon is the plan, and I'm working to complete the remaining route I haven't done on my own time, that being Silver Snow. The alternative is to also do Azure Moon on my own time and then do both Crimson Flower and Silver Snow off of one split save file, so that I've already beaten the whole game by the time I do it and I can playlog as much of the game as is practical while only doing Part 1 once. But, uh... the thought of doing more than one route of 3H for this marathon... flash-freezes my blood, so... not really liking that option.

Looking forward to your critique of AM considering most of the fanbase considers it the best route. 

On 9/25/2020 at 5:48 PM, Alastor15243 said:

Also, apparently Almedha hadn't seen her son in “fifteen years”. Only fifteen? But that would make Soren something like... sixteen, at the absolute oldest.

Soren was thirteen during Path of Radiance?

So all of that shipping the fandom has collectively been doing between these two... all of that was reading romance and sexual tension in Ike's relationship with a thirteen year old boy!?

Wait, that doesn't add up either.

How would she make Pelleas out to be her kid at that point, there's no way Pelleas is that young. I'm asking if her delusion wouldn't be stretched too much, not that she wasn't already.

I also checked for Pelleas's actual age, didn't find it, but Ike is apparently 20 in RD, not that it's made better. Also, most of the Soren/Ike relationship is from Soren anyways.

That is one that we'll have to come back on, I feel like something's missing.

Is it at all possible that Soren wasn't a literal baby when he and Almedha were separated, but closer to 2-3? Does it explicitly say that Soren was still an infant at the time? Although I don't remember the entirety of the script, I recall Almedha saying that Ashnard lost interest in Soren when it became obvious he had no special powers ... how long would it take for him to realize that, I wonder.

The second option is that writers are just REALLY bad at math and don't think these things out, it would explain SOOOOO many issues in all the games.

1 minute ago, Sunwoo said:

Is it at all possible that Soren wasn't a literal baby when he and Almedha were separated, but closer to 2-3? Does it explicitly say that Soren was still an infant at the time? Although I don't remember the entirety of the script, I recall Almedha saying that Ashnard lost interest in Soren when it became obvious he had no special powers ... how long would it take for him to realize that, I wonder.

The second option is that writers are just REALLY bad at math and don't think these things out, it would explain SOOOOO many issues in all the games.

Well I would assume that the last time she saw him was before it became apparent that he had green hair, or... yeah... that would be kind of comical.

3 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Well I would assume that the last time she saw him was before it became apparent that he had green hair, or... yeah... that would be kind of comical.

In all fairness, I think I've heard that some children may have different shades of hair color (or an outright different hair color) when they're young. Pelleas and Soren don't have the same hair color, but they both have rather dark shades. So if baby Soren's hair color was just some darkish shade that wasn't explicitly green or blue, I could see it.

Or Almedha at that point really was that desperate that she latched onto the first thing that she thought could've been her son. Maybe deep down she knew that Pelleas may not have been her son, but she just wanted to believe it so badly. After she accepts that Pelleas is not her son, she seems to have no issue recognizing Soren so maybe when she was less desperate she was able to see more clearly.

17 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

In all fairness, I think I've heard that some children may have different shades of hair color (or an outright different hair color) when they're young. Pelleas and Soren don't have the same hair color, but they both have rather dark shades. So if baby Soren's hair color was just some darkish shade that wasn't explicitly green or blue, I could see it.

Or Almedha at that point really was that desperate that she latched onto the first thing that she thought could've been her son. Maybe deep down she knew that Pelleas may not have been her son, but she just wanted to believe it so badly. After she accepts that Pelleas is not her son, she seems to have no issue recognizing Soren so maybe when she was less desperate she was able to see more clearly.

Okay, this is utterly bizarre.

I re-read the script, and yes, while Izuka says she last saw "Pelleas" 15 years ago, in Chapter 4-2 Almedha says she hasn't seen Ashnard in "more than twenty" years. Which would imply that she somehow saw Soren when he was five, which makes so little sense as to be mind boggling.

Edited by Alastor15243

21 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Okay, this is utterly bizarre.

I re-read the script, and yes, while Izuka says she last saw "Pelleas" 15 years ago, in Chapter 4-2 Almedha says she hasn't seen Ashnard in "more than twenty" years. Which would imply that she somehow saw Soren when he was five, which makes so little sense as to be mind boggling.

Lol, really? So that's either one of three explanations:
1. Almedha and Soren were separated from Ashnard first, and then Almedha was separated from Soren later. Somehow. It's still plausible, but a lot more convoluted.
2. The writers forgot what they wrote and changed the numbers unknowingly.
3. Whoever wrote the script was REALLY bad at math.