Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

33 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Because everyone is talking about their favourite JRPGs and my madness has abated for the nounce, I'll throw my hat in the ring. Valkyrie Profile: Coveant of the Plume, play it! 

I've played it too! Although I never completed the postgame Seraphic Gate. The game I think is a case of trying to be a little too dark, and it ends up being "Shadow the Hedgehog mature" as a result, meaning it kinda flounders as too juvenile. Although I did post about it here on SF recently (two months ago) too:

Spoiler

Not a bad idea. It reminds me, slightly, of Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume. If you go down the bad path, then in the final battle Lenneth will bring everyone you sacrificed as Einherjars to fight against you.

'Plume has a couple ideas a "horror FE" may wish to consider- albeit very childishly edgy ones.

• For one, every battle has a Sin quota which you're shown from the start. You earn 1 Sin for every 1% of enemy's Max HP you deal after you've dropped their HP to 0, capping out at 100 Sin per enemy. Overkill is always a good thing, and you're encouraged to weaken enemies to low HP before dealing excessive damage,
    • If the Sin quota is met for a battle, you earn rewards. If you earn 150% or better 200% of the Sin requirement, you get more rewards.
    • If the Sin quota is not met for a battle, the next fight will have a Realmstalker added to it- an extremely strong enemy. You get a useless trophy if you kill one, but this is punishment for your prior failure to acquire enough Sin.
  • Wylfred the main character gets the titular Plume in the game's intro fights. The power of the Plume is the power of sacrifice- pick a character you've recruited and fill them beyond the brim with Hel's dark might.
    • From this, Wylfred will permanently gains a new and powerful... lets say White Magic in FE3H terms, and each character provides a unique spell.
    • And more significantly, the sacrificed character will not die right away, all their stats will skyrocket for the current battle. By how much? Gilbert or Lorenz, it wouldn't matter, they'd be able to solo 3H Chapter 5 on Maddening. You're treated to a scene where the life fades out of them once the battle is over.
    • As a bonus, the sacrifice provides Sin equal to the quota as well.
    • It's worth noting the VP: CotP cast is a lot smaller than FE, and you can only sacrifice characters who have permanently joined b/c they trust Wylfred, "guests" that you can control can't be sacrificed.
  • These two mechanics of the Plume and Sin have some interaction.
    • If you fail to earn enough Sin to reach the minimum requirement for a fight, the menacing Realmstalker in the next fight will heavily encourage you to Plume someone to counter it.
    • However! CotP is very strict with its three routes- if you sacrifice one character (besides the tutorial sacrifice), you're locked out of the Best Route and forced into the Neutral Route. If you sacrifice two characters or more, Wylfred becomes very cold with a hint of DC Joker and you're locked into the Bad Route.
    • And even if you've resigned yourself to the Bad Route, you can't sacrifice everyone not-Wylfred. Sure it'd be bad idea to have him solo maps, but the other problem is if you sacrifice too many people, the goddess Freya will descend from the heavens with 9999 in every stat and whoop your edgelord arse into a Game Over.
    • So, unless you enjoy fighting absurdly powerful enemies, meet the Sin quota every time via overkill. If you don't, you absolutely risk softlocking yourself into an unwinnable Bad Route save file b/c you've already sacrificed all you safely can and the next time will incur Freya's wrath.
    • Therefore, you're given strong incentive not to sacrifice at all. So the Plume mechanic is a bit of waste, FE could do better than it.

I think the game is decent though, the gameplay was good enough, I just wish the game was a bit less harsh on the penalties of pluming people.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 180.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

8 hours ago, Benice said:

SKILL PROMOTED FAYE

I wonder what skill a Swordmaster gets in Kaga games hmmmm

XD

I already saw it before the edit xD

Dw not a spoiler

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Berwicksaga.txt

Sylvis.Besto

Gotta say, Main map ch2 was pretty cool, except for that annoying myrm that appeared on the top with a crit that kept evading my 80 hit attacks with Dean.

Really too early for a crit myrm tbh

Edited by Shrimperor

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I already saw it before the edit xD

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

But good gravy, it has a stunning animation. I can't find a video of it anywhere, but wow.

Gotta say, Main map ch2 was pretty cool, except for that annoying myrm with a crit that kept evading my 80 hit attacks with Dean.

You actually fought Zalius? Wow...

The thing that bothered me about this map was actually the guy who starts near Fayekramerczene. How dare you threaten best girl's prf weapon, Kaga?!

Edited by Benice

26 minutes ago, Benice said:

Gooooooood morning, everyone!

Tutturu

8 minutes ago, Benice said:

You actually fought Zalius? Wow...

Dean and Ward where near there, so i thought i could take him

RNG.txt

I did defeat him eventually, but god was it annoying

And when i first defeated him the thief that appeared at the bottom with a magic weapon critted Adol because ofc he did, so i had to reset. Really a bit too early for so many crit enemies.

10 minutes ago, Benice said:

The thing that bothered me about this map was actually the guy who starts near Fayekramerczene. How dare you threaten best girl's prf weapon, Kaga?!

He broke Elbert's longsword F

He was hiding in bushes and i forgot about him kek

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

I did defeat him eventually, but god was it annoying

Mercs.txt

And when i first defeated him the thief that appeared at the bottom with a magic weapon critted Adol because ofc he did, so i had to reset. Really a bit too early for so many crit enemies.

Yeah, earlygame daggers carrying crit is really annoying. The good news is that there's only one map with lots of daggers left for quite a while.

He broke Elbert's longsword F

He was hiding in bushes and i forgot about him kek

Oof. At least the Longsword is fairly replaceable.

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

To get Arthur and Adeptgirl for 2x-1 or to not do that hmmm

The cave map, right? That map is a strong contender for the easiest map in the game, so just bring whoever you like. Either of them could use the experience. Heck, maybe even bring both. I don't think you'll need heavy-hitters like Sylvis or Volo for this one.

8 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Hmm

To get Arthur and Adeptgirl for 2x-1 or to not do that hmmm

This is the one where you get some Sinon stallions back, right? I'd bring Arthur #818367 because there is a bounty you can get here, (and capturing bounties doubles rewards) and Flourish can help. And Faye is best girl. This is a good one to bring Ruby as well, and I think that it is worth doing so, and she does get good.

Edited by Benice

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I've played it too! Although I never completed the postgame Seraphic Gate. The game I think is a case of trying to be a little too dark, and it ends up being "Shadow the Hedgehog mature" as a result, meaning it kinda flounders as too juvenile. Although I did post about it here on SF recently (two months ago) too:

Reveal hidden contents

Not a bad idea. It reminds me, slightly, of Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume. If you go down the bad path, then in the final battle Lenneth will bring everyone you sacrificed as Einherjars to fight against you.

'Plume has a couple ideas a "horror FE" may wish to consider- albeit very childishly edgy ones.

• For one, every battle has a Sin quota which you're shown from the start. You earn 1 Sin for every 1% of enemy's Max HP you deal after you've dropped their HP to 0, capping out at 100 Sin per enemy. Overkill is always a good thing, and you're encouraged to weaken enemies to low HP before dealing excessive damage,
    • If the Sin quota is met for a battle, you earn rewards. If you earn 150% or better 200% of the Sin requirement, you get more rewards.
    • If the Sin quota is not met for a battle, the next fight will have a Realmstalker added to it- an extremely strong enemy. You get a useless trophy if you kill one, but this is punishment for your prior failure to acquire enough Sin.
  • Wylfred the main character gets the titular Plume in the game's intro fights. The power of the Plume is the power of sacrifice- pick a character you've recruited and fill them beyond the brim with Hel's dark might.
    • From this, Wylfred will permanently gains a new and powerful... lets say White Magic in FE3H terms, and each character provides a unique spell.
    • And more significantly, the sacrificed character will not die right away, all their stats will skyrocket for the current battle. By how much? Gilbert or Lorenz, it wouldn't matter, they'd be able to solo 3H Chapter 5 on Maddening. You're treated to a scene where the life fades out of them once the battle is over.
    • As a bonus, the sacrifice provides Sin equal to the quota as well.
    • It's worth noting the VP: CotP cast is a lot smaller than FE, and you can only sacrifice characters who have permanently joined b/c they trust Wylfred, "guests" that you can control can't be sacrificed.
  • These two mechanics of the Plume and Sin have some interaction.
    • If you fail to earn enough Sin to reach the minimum requirement for a fight, the menacing Realmstalker in the next fight will heavily encourage you to Plume someone to counter it.
    • However! CotP is very strict with its three routes- if you sacrifice one character (besides the tutorial sacrifice), you're locked out of the Best Route and forced into the Neutral Route. If you sacrifice two characters or more, Wylfred becomes very cold with a hint of DC Joker and you're locked into the Bad Route.
    • And even if you've resigned yourself to the Bad Route, you can't sacrifice everyone not-Wylfred. Sure it'd be bad idea to have him solo maps, but the other problem is if you sacrifice too many people, the goddess Freya will descend from the heavens with 9999 in every stat and whoop your edgelord arse into a Game Over.
    • So, unless you enjoy fighting absurdly powerful enemies, meet the Sin quota every time via overkill. If you don't, you absolutely risk softlocking yourself into an unwinnable Bad Route save file b/c you've already sacrificed all you safely can and the next time will incur Freya's wrath.
    • Therefore, you're given strong incentive not to sacrifice at all. So the Plume mechanic is a bit of waste, FE could do better than it.

I think the game is decent though, the gameplay was good enough, I just wish the game was a bit less harsh on the penalties of pluming people.

What...what heresy is this?!? 

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That map is a strong contender for the easiest map in the game, so just bring whoever you like.

👍

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Volo

Didn't hire him yet. Really seems a bit costly atm

11 minutes ago, Benice said:

Flourish can help

Yup why i want to train and eventually recruit him.

11 minutes ago, Benice said:

This is a good one to bring Ruby as well

...i will see what i can do. I have other more useful units who need some exp to level up xD

Speaking about getting good, does Reese eventually get good? He is only there for like 1/3 of the maps, and his base stats are quite weak, outside of his 10 hit aura

Edited by Shrimperor

does Reese eventually get good?

Yes yesyeysyesyes.

He also has the highest defense growth in the game, so that's a thing too, I guess.

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Didn't hire him yet. Really seems a bit costly atm

GOOD

4 minutes ago, Benice said:

He also has the highest defense growth in the game, so that's a thing too, I guess.

At 18%. And tied for the highest HP growth, at 40% (which becomes the highest with the overpriced memory foam mattress).

And random factoid on the topic of beds, the founder of the Mauryan Empire that unified nearly all of India, Chandragupta Maurya, supposedly never slept in the same bedroom twice for the sake of keeping would-be assassins at bay.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

18 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

does Reese eventually get good?

Reese gets some of the best swords in the game. In particular, he gets this really kickass sword in chapter 5, and it more or less carries him through the game. Look forward to that. Keep some repairstones around for it, too.

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

gonna get alot of that xD

Btw guys thanks for the tips!

No problem! Have fun! Chapter 3 is quite tough.

Stupid green units...Noooooo...

10 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

gonna get alot of that xD

No, you're not. That's why I'm warning you to use them with care. That said, don't hoard them either. These things are exceedingly useful, too much not to use 'em.

Oh, while we're on the subject of repairstones, here's a pro-tip: When you have a weapon you want to preserve, such as Reese's OP sword, be sure to repair them as soon as possible. Green durability, if at all possible. The reason is that less uses of the repairstone are wasted if you repair early. If you wait on it, you run the risk of the weapon breaking early instead (due to RNG weapon breaking, because Kaga is a great great man). Rare weapons don't disappear when they break, but then you have to use the maximum amount of repairstone uses for a full repair. In the case of Reese's sword, it's something like 3 uses for a green repair against 7 uses for a full repair.

Overall, when you want to keep a weapon around for as long as possible, it's better to try and keep it at blank durability as much as you can. Even green has a 1% chance to break every time it is used. Not cool.

Just now, Shrimperor said:

still have ch2 side missions to  do anyway

Yes, you cannot miss them. There's something extremely important in one of them. I'm talking "best unit in the game" kind of important.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Just now, Shrimperor said:

green units...

493648406456303628.png?v=1

The good news is that they are quite predictable.

The bad news is that they are very dumb.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

still have ch2 side missions to  do anyway

Nice.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

No, you're not. That's why I'm warning you to use them with care. That said, don't hoard them either. These things are exceedingly useful, too much not to use 'em.

Oh, while we're on the subject of repairstones, here's a pro-tip: When you have a weapon you want to preserve, such as Reese's OP sword, be sure to repair them as soon as possible. Green durability, if at all possible. The reason is that less uses of the repairstone are wasted if you repair early. If you wait on it, you run the risk of the weapon breaking early instead (due to RNG weapon breaking, because Kaga is a great great man). Rare weapons don't disappear when they break, but then you have to use the maximum amount of repairstone uses for a full repair. In the case of Reese's sword, it's something like 3 uses for a green repair against 7 uses for a full repair.

Overall, when you want to keep a weapon around for as long as possible, it's better to try and keep it at blank durability as much as you can. Even green has a 1% chance to break every time it is used. Not cool.

got it!

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

The bad news is that they are very dumb

when were green units ever smart?