• Replies 180.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Meanwhile, a perk of living at the border of another country that uses a different language is that... on the other side they use your native language 99% of the time!

Though seriously, living so close to the US meant English was pretty much mandatory to learn at school.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

12 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Even (and ESPECIALLY) within linguistics, a majority of research and study material is only available in English, because the foremost brains on that subject are either British or American.

Even non-british and non-american researchers publish their stuff in english, too.

12 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Shrimpy, Julian, behold: our language roughly 900 years ago.

I like our current version more xD

This reminds me when we started reading slightly older texts in school lul

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Can confirm, my english is only good because I've been using it consistently for like 12 years. Been a long time since I last played a game in my native language that wasn't originally made in it.

yup!

I already talked about this like ~300 pages back or so, but for every language i speak i've to assign it a category, so to say, hence i can't speak any language perfectly.

English is mostly my ''nerd stuff'' language, so to say XD

Edited by Shrimperor

Though I wasn't fully kidding either. For a long time I've only really used English on the Internet.

I can't remember the last time that I went to the US and I had to use English for more than... a few sentences at the most. Or at all. It's just Spanish. As it should be.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

For me, it's gotten to the point where my English is almost better than my German when it comes to writing stories.
I have a much easier time writing in English. XD

Same lol

Well, for entertainment and nerd stuff

i wouldn't wan't to write research stuff in english, ngl

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

I can't remember the last time that I went to the US and I had to use English for more than... a few sentences at the most. Or at all. It's just Spanish. As it should be.

It's also just Spanish in my case. Probably because I live in Spain. I've never, ever had to use English in my entire life outside of English lessons. Well, that is, until I realized at an early age that I'd never get anywhere in the world of videogames with just Spanish.

Heck, in FE for example; of the Japan-only titles, only 6 and 5 have Spanish patches, and 6's is based on the old translation, not Gringe's much better version. For everything else, you need to know English. I've got a friend who's really into FE, but he's always had an aversion to the English language, so he's shit out of luck with half the series.

12 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I like our current version more xD

Same. XD

Although, tbf, it's not too hard once you get behind it. Especially not if you keep in mind that it's just a predecessor of our current language (although the way we find it in texts isn't how people really spoke, obviously).

For me, beginning to learn it was like
Stamp273.png
But then I got the hang of it. I still can't translate everything word for word, but I can at least read it and then say what a text is about.

11 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

i wouldn't wan't to write research stuff in english, ngl

Me either. XD

Edited by DragonFlames

>Rie Tanaka playing a game

Nepnep voice acting always 10/10

5 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Stamp273.png

Kid Shrimpy, trying to learn french while 12 and juggling 4 languages, colorized

XD

But yeah i get what you mean.

Me either. XD

We will eventually have to, though, as researchers (even if in different fields). I already had to proof read some research materials written in english...

Edited by Shrimperor

8 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Is Middle-High German anything like how Ye Olde English is to modern English?

If you think of it as a precursor to modern English, then yes!

Fun fact: there was a Middle-Low German, too.
High and low in this case refer to the altitude of the land itself, since Germany is half flatlands and half mountains, and the dividing line between the two written languages is exactly the line where the mountains begin..

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Kid Shrimpy, trying to learn french while 12 and juggling 4 languages, colorized

XD

XD

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

We will eventually have to, though, as researchers (even if in different fields). I already had to proof read some research materials written in english...

Reading is easy enough, it's writing research papers in English that is hard. XD

Edited by DragonFlames

7 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Is Middle-High German anything like how Ye Olde English is to modern English?

Funny comparison, since at some point it's just the same language. English being a mix of local Brittonic mixed Germanic Anglo-Saxon and Norman French.

Though far back and it's Brittonic, with Gaelic and Latin mixed there, I'd think.

Evolution of languages is one big web.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Funny comparison, since at some point it's just the same language. English being a mix of local Brittonic mixed Germanic Anglo-Saxon and Norman French.

Though far back and it's Brittonic, with Gaelic and Latin mixed there, I'd think.

Evolution of languages is one big web.

Yep.
Most language researchers are convinced that, at least for the European languages, there has to be a common ancestor.

Just now, DragonFlames said:

Yep.
Most language researchers are convinced that, at least for the European languages, there has to be a common ancestor.

Indo-European, yep.

Except for Basque, Magyar, Finnish, and Estonian. The last three are instead Finno-Urilic, and Basque is... Basque. Seriously, no one has found yet where the heck Basque comes from.

Honestly, i find studying linguistics like draggy much harder and more admirable then learning new languages, ngl.

Maybe because i was never good in linguistics myself?

For me language is more a tool than anything, and the reason i speak 3 has to do with travelling alot as a kid. Language classes in school was something i was never a big fan of, ngl, as i was more in the Math & Science camp haha. And my school grades reflect that

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

it's writing research papers in English that is hard. XD

but something we will have to conquer eventually haha

Indo-European, yep.

Except for Basque, Magyar, Finnish, and Estonian. The last three are instead Finno-Urilic, and Basque is... Basque. Seriously, no one has found yet where the heck Basque comes from.

Basque is what they call an "Isolated Language", because it has virtually nothing in common with other languages.
Finnish is odd, since it's very closely related to the Slavic languages like Russian, while it has little in common with the other Nordic languages like Norwegian.

Fun fact: Japanese is also an isolated language that has virtually nothing in common with any other language.
And there exists an American First Nations language that has a lot in common with a Siberian dialect, of all things.

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

That's true, like how the romance languages are sourced back to vulgar Latin.

Indeed. Italian, Spanish, French, and Romanian all come from ye olde Latin.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Honestly, i find studying linguistics like draggy much harder and more admirable then learning new languages, ngl.

Thanks! ^^
It can get pretty tough, especially because it forces you to actually question something you just do everyday and don't think about how or why you do it.

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Language classes in school was something i was never a big fan of, ngl, as i was more in the Math & Science camp haha. And my school grades reflect that

That's a pattern that always reappears, and it's really fascinating to me.
You're either good at Math and the three sciences or you're good at languages (I'm in the latter camp, most definitely. XD).
There are only few people who excel in both.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

but something we will have to conquer eventually haha

Yep. ^^

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

That's a pattern that always reappears, and it's really fascinating to me.

Yeah, it appears pretty often yup.

Maybe it has to do with mindset and household? Is what i would guess anyway.

three sciences

Well, 2 for me xD

I was very good at physics and good at chemistry

Biology however...

My worst school grades ever XD

Just now, Shrimperor said:

Yeah, it appears pretty often yup.

Maybe it has to do with mindset and household? Is what i would guess anyway.

I think I've read somewhere that it has to do with which parts of the brain people use the most.
Could be complete hogwash, though. XD

Although I definitely "inherited" my ineptitude for all things Math.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Biology however...

My worst school grades ever XD

That was the one I was usually "best" at (best in the sense that I got my comparatively best grades in biology).
Physics and chemistry... oof. I was halfway decent at chemistry, but physics was a nightmare for me.

Rie Tanaka is the best Nep voice (especially Purple Heart)
Change my mind

Although her English voice actress does a good job, too, I think.

Biology with the reverse uno xD

Yup. XD

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

relatable.gif

My experience with phys and chem...

1j9mu4.jpg

And plane geometry and precalc...

And meanwhile, I was like
Stamp277.png

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Although her English voice actress does a good job, too, I think.

Now when I hear Frey read the intro to RF4S, I can't unhear Neptune, ever since hearing Nep's voice clips. xD

19 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Basque is what they call an "Isolated Language", because it has virtually nothing in common with other languages.
Finnish is odd, since it's very closely related to the Slavic languages like Russian, while it has little in common with the other Nordic languages like Norwegian.

Fun fact: Japanese is also an isolated language that has virtually nothing in common with any other language.
And there exists an American First Nations language that has a lot in common with a Siberian dialect, of all things.

Makes sense. There's a better land connection between where the Finns settled down, and the Northern Slavs did. So even if they're from two different groups, just about the time of contact will make them start having connections. At least to a better degree than the Germanic Norse.

Change my mind

there's no changing facts XD

And meanwhile, I was like
Stamp277.png

me doing anything but Math & Science in school

especially since i was like ''I am gonna go the technical path anyway, why should i do the other stuff'' XD

Because Math was a legit hobby of mine back then, and the others just took time from it

377110562116468766.png?v=1

@DragonFlames @twilitfalchion Ike x Genny theory

Edited by Shrimperor

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

Now when I hear Frey read the intro to RF4S, I can't unhear Neptune, ever since hearing Nep's voice clips. xD

Same, haha!
I feel the same way about Blanc and Venti as well as Noire and Forte. XD

Makes sense. There's a better land connection between where the Finns settled down, and the Northern Slavs did. So even if they're from two different groups, just about the time of contact will make them start having connections. At least to a better degree than the Germanic Norse.

True.