Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

All right, I finally figured it out. I actually used Hinoka's own dragon vein against her. Since it nerfs Setsuna and company too, I used that opportunity to walk closer to them, so I could ambush them once the effect ran out. I was also able to get Azama to waste his hexing rod on the units that won't see combat, namely Azura, Arthur and Kabbãge. Thanks a lot, Hinoka. Way to go.

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Good job skipping everything I said both about the merits of those characters, as well as how Iago plays in a different league of awful as Gharnef and Manfroy.

Just like Armagon said, comparing trash with hot Garbage.

Making sense isn't equal to good writing, just less bad

Edited by Shrimperor

19 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

That screenshot has that boss quite far away still.

Perspective got me lmao.

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Riev's the game's Gharnef

I honest to God forgot about Riev. 

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Also, I don't agree. Nergal's a mess of a villain,

Yeah, I kinda agree. I wouldn't say he was good but I was invested enough to want to see him drop dead. That's why I called him alright. He had the makings of a good villain, they just didn't capitalize on it imo.

16 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Though poor Manfroy has of course that infamous moment of stupidity in the final chapter.

That is literally why I placed him at the bottom. Man spends like 20+ years coming up with the perfect plan only to drop like 5000 IQ at the last second for no reason and it's literally the only reason why the good guys win.

But like I said, we're basically just comparing trash with garbage. Doesn't really matter which one is "better".

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Perspective got me lmao.

No harm done! ^^
Though if I recall from when I watched a friend play the game, these giant... machines, I think, in Breath of the Wild are so gigantic that you can walk around inside them, so... in a way, that boss probably still is tiny compared to what you showed. xD

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Just like Armagon said, comparing trash with hot Garbage

Sheesh. I didn't exactly write a big thesis on the subject, but that just makes it more baffling that you couldn't be bothered to read anything past the headline.

And if you are too impatient to read even that much, I do have to wonder how genuine you actually are in demanding more depth in minor antagonists.

Yeah, BotW's Divine Beasts are dungeons as well as massive parts of the environment. It wouldn't surprise me if BotW pulled a bit of inspiration from Colossus in designing them, at least from the perspective of scale.

Just now, BrightBow said:

Sheesh. I didn't exactly write a big thesis on the subject, but that just makes it more baffling that you couldn't be bothered to read anything past the headline.

And if you are too impatient to read even that much, I do have to wonder how genuine you actually are in demanding more depth in minor antagonists.

I'm pretty sure he read it all. It's not that deep.

5 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

but that just makes it more baffling that you couldn't be bothered to read anything past the headline.

I read it and edited my post accordingly. You didn't exactly write a convincing arguement.

Edited by Shrimperor

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

Yeah, BotW's Divine Beasts are dungeons as well as massive parts of the environment.

Neat!
I like that kinda stuff!

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

It wouldn't surprise me if BotW pulled a bit of inspiration from Colossus in designing them, at least from the perspective of scale.

Probably!

2 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Although technically speaking the dungeon versions of the beasts are much larger then the models you see on the overworld.

I see!
That's different than in Shadow of the Colossus, because what you see is what you get.

7gzJRBc.jpgThis is another one from the bird. Check out how tiny the MC is compared to it, and the bird itself is small compared to some of the other colossi.

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

I see!
That's different than in Shadow of the Colossus, because what you see is what you get.

Yeah. That whole entering the beasts thing only happens in cutscenes. There is a scripted sequence where you briefly shut them down. Link enters and activates a teleporter on the inside, so in the future you just warp straight in. So it's not really anything like Shadow of the Colossus beyond presentation.

Don't want to undersell just how different they are from previous Zelda dungeons though. Rather then just a series of disconnected rooms, they are a single big space. And progressing requires properly comprehending that space.
I most certainly appreciate how it all feels like a part of a greater whole. Zelda dungeons previously never felt like actual locations to me.

Yeah. That whole entering the beasts thing only happens in cutscenes. There is a scripted sequence where you briefly shut them down. Link enters and activates a teleporter on the inside, so in the future you just warp straight in. So it's not really anything like Shadow of the Colossus beyond presentation.

I see!

Don't want to undersell just how different they are from previous Zelda dungeons though. Rather then just a series of disconnected rooms, they are a single big space. And progressing requires properly comprehending that space.
I most certainly appreciate how it all feels like a part of a greater whole. Zelda dungeons previously never felt like actual locations to me.

That does sound pretty nice!

The Divine Beasts are actually great and varied from a design and mechanical standpoint. If they weren't so aesthetically similar, they might not draw as much criticism, I'd say.

By aesthetically similar, do you mean they look similar on the inside?
Because from what I've seen, they're pretty different in outward appearance.
Of course, I've only seen a few bits of gameplay here and there, never played the game myself, so I can't really make a judgement one way or the other.

Edited by DragonFlames

The Divine Beasts are actually great and varied from a design and mechanical standpoint. If they weren't so aesthetically similar, they might not draw as much criticism, I'd say.

Agreed. I think that is a criticism of BotW's "ancient tech" vibe as a whole. I love it but things definitely just look the same at times.

I'm very curious to see how BotW 2 handles it's dungeons when it comes out next year.

To give credit where credit is due, atleast FE did't build up 9 games of character clashes, motivations and wars only to go "it was a curse all along"

Now that was moist trash that made Fates look good

Edited by Shrimperor

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Of course, I've only seen a few bits of gameplay here and there, never played the game myself, so I can't really make a judgement one way or the other.

They all share the same color scheme on both the inside and outside. They may be laid out differently, but I've seen many comments about how samey they feel.

Spoilered for size, but these are all different DBs. I personally don't mind the similarities, but yeah. I can see why some might take issue with it.

Spoiler

2017031501510700-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg

the_legend_of_zelda_breath_of_the_wild_switch-1.jpg

jpg

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

If we are gonna talk about shallow bastards fone well, then the only example that comes to mind is Berwick. Not amazing, but decent enough that it doesn't make the story fall on it's head

I found the main villains in Berwick to be pretty solid. The game suffered from a lack of interesting minor villains, but Volcens and the final boss were both good, I believe. In particular, the final boss strikes me as the best Gharnef, (spoilers ahead)

Spoiler

mostly thanks to the fact that he has more screentime than any three Gharnefs combined.

I'm assuming you're talking about that one, since we're talking about Gharnefs and all.

8 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Even from the outside, they do have a similar aesthetic. Same colors and materials and whatnot.

But from the inside, where you can't really appreciate the form of the beast to the same degree, that issue is most certainly amplified. Not to mention all that Ganon ooze being smeared everywhere.
Not much variety in enemies either. Just the minor corrupted guardians and floating Boklin heads coming out of the ooze mouths. The bosses also look pretty much like the same construct with a different weapon.

Edited by BrightBow

All right! Map's effectively over. Hinoka and her bodyguard are both dead. Now I'll just take a moment to murder that shitstain Azama (I'm still bitter over the hexing incident in Ninja Luigi's join map), and then I'll seize.

I liked the gimmick, the aesthetics and the difficulty was on point. Overall, much better than the last map. I'm relieved.

7 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

They all share the same color scheme on both the inside and outside. They may be laid out differently, but I've seen many comments about how samey they feel.

Spoilered for size, but these are all different DBs. I personally don't mind the similarities, but yeah. I can see why some might take issue with it.

Hide contents

2017031501510700-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg

the_legend_of_zelda_breath_of_the_wild_switch-1.jpg

jpg

Ah, okay. I see now!
I confess, if you hadn't told me these were all different, I probably would've thought these screenshots are all from the same one.
I don't necessarily mind it, since it implies that the Divine Beasts were all built in the same era/based on the same tech.

6 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

But from the inside, where you can't really appreciate the form of the beast to the same degree, that issue is most certainly amplified. Not to mention all that Ganon ooze being smeared everywhere.
Not much variety in enemies either. Just the basic corrupted guardians and floating Boklin heads coming out of the ooze mouths. The bosses also look pretty much like the same construct with a different weapon.

Mhm, alright.
That is a little bit disappointing in that case, since I can imagine that this could get repetitive when you fight the same enemies again and again.

Edited by DragonFlames

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

don't necessarily mind it, since it implies that the Divine Beasts were all built in the same era/based on the same tech.

I don't either but I think making them different colors at least would've been a nice touch.

Azura: I’m sorry, Takumi, but my song isn’t a miracle cure. It won’t help with this.

Takumi: Oh... now you tell me.

That was funny.

14 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

They look similar on the inside. It where the sort of meme/joke thing spawned that at least Zelda 1 has dungeons with differently colored walls.