Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Just now, Benice said:

Not gonna lie, I sorta wish people liked the same FEs I did...

Yeah, same. It'd make everything so much easier. But that's human nature, I suppose.

The game has apparently decided to cut me some slack, because I got three crits in a row. This resulted in being able to just barely kill everyone with all of my units. Meh, it's not my proudest moment, but if it gets me through this shitshow... Sure, I'll take it.

• Replies 176.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

I decided to read on it and Capture in Fates:

1. Can't capture the beast units, so no getting a fox army.

2. Can't capture Vallites meaning you can't capture in the second half of Rev.

3. BR/RV have little if any skills on generics and there's none with skills from outside their classes.

4. Paralogues seem to be a weird choice to be doing much capturing on outside ironman runs because with the kids you have a bunch of units from them alone. So a little odd that most of the capturable bosses are in paralogues. Especially Canade and Nichol who have several things that player characters have. There's also some maps where you can get some interesting ones (Mainly Conquest),

5. DLC can't help you as you can't capture on those maps at all.

I'm just gutted that a Capture run doesn't have much value outside of Conquest.

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

I'm just gutted that a Capture run doesn't have much value outside of Conquest.

Yeah, I was planning on using mostly generics in my BR run, but they're just...Bland, I guess. Them even having nice names doesn't save them. I'm sorry, Gerald the Dark Mage!

And that's that. Arthur had to survive two 18% crits, but to be honest, at this point I would've just let him die if he had perished. Now only Takumi is left. Should be easy.

...goodness, what a map. Not sure if I can call it bad in good faith, but it was not enjoyable. Honestly, I think my biggest gripe with this game is the lack of in-map saves. These maps are too complex and sometimes too long for the ol' "full chapter reset" fun. They had it figured out in DSFE, why did they have to unlearn in 3DSFE?

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And that's that. Arthur had to survive two 18% crits, but to be honest, at this point I would've just let him die if he had perished. Now only Takumi is left. Should be easy.

...goodness, what a map. Not sure if I can call it bad in good faith, but it was not enjoyable. Honestly, I think my biggest gripe with this game is the lack of in-map saves. These maps are too complex and sometimes too long for the ol' "full chapter reset" fun. They had it figured out in DSFE, why did they have to unlearn in 3DSFE?

Bring down the Emperor’s wrath on the traitors!

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I guess "throw Xander and Camilla at the map" solves the issue rather handily, but I prefer to have fun with my teams.

Camilla get's one shotted by Archers, and Xander gets lunge-chained to death, not to mention 2 magic units are enough to kill him...

Throwing Xander and Camilla are a recipe for insta reset.

For this map what helped me are staves tbh.

Edited by Shrimperor

Well, in the end I gave in. I plopped a save state before Takumi.

I hated that map. Not as much as the shitty kitsune map, because at least here it felt like I could possibly do something to improve my chances beyond just praying to dear RNGoddess that the enemies don't go into leaf mode. But wow, that was absolutely horrible. Did they really have to throw that many enemies at me? Surely a couple less here and there would've been fine.

And Takumi's a Henning-brand boss. You know, everyone's favorite brand of boss. I got hilariously lucky and ended up not needing the save state - On a coinflip chance, Nina got a killer bow crit, and she even landed the double as well. This left the guy at 1 HP, and Ignatius's guarding ensured he could do jack shit in return. Then Izana finished him with fire. But just because I got lucky doesn't mean the boss is any less awful for it. Everyone who could tank couldn't hit, and everyone who could hit faced a huge chance of dying to rend heaven, and there was nothing I could do about it. If Nina didn't have her guard gauge full, I would've had to RNG-abuse the hell out of that encounter.

Bah. You disappoint me, Conquest. Here's hoping this doesn't repeat. Still, if it doesn't, this shouldn't impact my opinion of the game too much. I can take one or two bad maps, every game's got its shitters, even Berwick Saga.

22 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Takumi has rend heaven and crit, which will make the fight against him a luck-based mess.

Attack stance with WTA and kill him before he attacks you.

Alternatively, a full shield gauge.

27 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

These maps are too complex and sometimes too long for the ol' "full chapter reset" fun. They had it figured out in DSFE, why did they have to unlearn in 3DSFE?

Because people didn't like DSFE

Same reason they removed so much stuff from Fates going forward: people complained about Fates.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

because at least here it felt like I could possibly do something to improve my chances beyond just praying to dear RNGoddess that the enemies don't go into leaf mode

You have many things to change RNG in your favour though, even against pineapple meme.

Supports, skills, attack stance, weapon advantage, brave weapons, freeze, etc.

and everyone who could hit faced a huge chance of dying to rend heaven

No attack stance one shot? I am pretty sure you could've done it, especially with lightning. You don't need Xander & Camilla, i didn't use them against him either.

Edited by Shrimperor

Looking over your posts @Saint Rubenio

I think you priotize def stsnce over attack stance, right? For example the master of arms didn't bother me because i didn't try to even try to tank them, i player phased them with attack stance (which gives me many more actions over def stance).

Tanking in late game Conquest is a no no, and i usually had to think of solutions to clear sections in player phase in one turn, or only leave 1-2 enemies alive max after pp.

Edited by Shrimperor

Just now, Shrimperor said:

Attack stance with WTA and kill him before he attacks you.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

No attack stance one shot? I am pretty sure you could've done it, especially with lightning.

I just went back to my save state and checked. The only way I could've pulled it off is indeed lightning, but Nyx's hitrate was iffy and if she got hit, it was over. Far less reliable than I would've liked.

Alternatively, a full shield gauge.

Well, it's what I did, but if the rest of the enemies are dead and I waste all my gauges on misses, that's... kinda unfortunate, isn't it?

Because people didn't like DSFE

Same reason they removed so much stuff from Fates going forward: people complained about Fates.

That just plain sucks. People didn't like DSFE because muh story, so the answer is to remove the save points? What kind of ass-backwards logic is that, IntSys?

Looking over your posts @Saint Rubenio

I think you priotize def stsnce over attack stance, right? For example the master of arms didn't bother me because i didn't try to even tank them, i player phased them with attack stance (which gives me many more actions over def stance).

Tanking in late game Conquest is a no no, and i usually had to think of solutions to clear sections in player phase in one turn

Wait, what? How exactly was I supposed to attack stance the master of arms duos when they themselves have defense stances that protect them?

As for why I prioritize def stance, the answer is I have no choice. If I don't give all my frontliners def stance, they die horribly. And my options for one-shotting enemies are very limited. Everyone else needs protection.

I don't know, maybe I'm just not good enough for this game or something, but this is the first map where I've felt this helpless the whole way through. Still, it's only one map. If it's just this, I can forgive it.

16 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And Takumi's a Henning-brand boss. You know, everyone's favorite brand of boss. I got hilariously lucky and ended up not needing the save state - On a coinflip chance, Nina got a killer bow crit, and she even landed the double as well. This left the guy at 1 HP, and Ignatius's guarding ensured he could do jack shit in return. Then Izana finished him with fire. But just because I got lucky doesn't mean the boss is any less awful for it. Everyone who could tank couldn't hit, and everyone who could hit faced a huge chance of dying to rend heaven, and there was nothing I could do about it. If Nina didn't have her guard gauge full, I would've had to RNG-abuse the hell out of that encounter.

I actually agree with you here, but I’m anti widespread crits and anti chance based skills, so that probably isn’t surprising.

Anyway, if you aren’t careful, the next map can easily swarm you with enemies that have like triple your movement. But this is easily preventable if you’re careful, and this makes being relatively open actually a good thing for this map, which is probably why it’s one of my favorites. Then again, I used fliers.... you don’t have any right?

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

How exactly was I supposed to attack stance the master of arms duos when they themselves have defense stances that protect them?

Here's the thing: with attack stance you get more actions. So you kill the one in the front with a strong unit, then the one in the back after their def stance is gone can be attackef with a weak unit with attack stance.

As for why I prioritize def stance, the answer is I have no choice. If I don't give all my frontliners def stance, they die horribly. And my options for one-shotting enemies are very limited. Everyone else needs protection.

Def stance = less actions. You've to calculate care fully when exactly you need it, or you won't have enough actions to kill your enemy. Def stancing everyone is not the solution

this is the first map where I've felt this helpless the whole way through

Game ain't getting easier xD

But no map will be even half as long, so dw about that.

Edited by Shrimperor

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Then again, I used fliers.... you don’t have any right?

I do have Nina, but she dies if anything looks at her funny. Oh well. We'll see.

Here's the thing: with attack stance you get more actions. So you kill the one in the front with a strong unit, then the one in the back after their def stance is gone can be attackef with a weak unit with attack stance.

Def stance = less actions. You've to calculate care fully when exactly you need it, or you won't have enough actions to kill your enemy. Def stancing everyone is not the solution

I think there's a bit of a misundertanding here. I don't def stance everything. The only ones who consistently have been paired-up are Ignatius and Benny, because their purpose is to tank, and Effie with Arthur, which brings her might closer to one-shot levels. Everyone else mostly stays solo so they can do attack stance and stuff, unless they themselves face an attack stance or need movement, in which case I quickly plop a pair-up on 'em.

This has worked until this map. The first half I had mostly pinned down, but when the game threw those six paired-up masters with effective weaponry I could do little but stall for time and hope for the best. And then there's the stairs part. Not sure where that would've ended if I didn't get lucky with the crits.

...To be honest, I'm making it out to seem worse than it really was. In retrospect, aside from the three masters of arms, Hinata's shitty archer and Takumi, I didn't have that much trouble. It just felt like a bit of a sudden difficulty spike. Enemy density was a bit higher than I would've felt comfortable with.

But no map will be as long, so dw about that.

Oh, thank goodness.

I'm done with Hades.

Characters are good, narrative is good, combat is good, music is good but i never expected the roguelike philosophy to frustrate me this much. Can't think of the last time when a game genuinely frustrated me. I mean, i can, but i thought i was past that. Cause usually when i say "ooh this part of a game was frustrating" i'm usually just kinda exaggerating. Not with Hades. It is actually, genuinely, not even joking, very frustrating getting to the final boss, dying, and then having to do the whole damn game all over again just to have another attempt at beating the game. Sometimes i don't even make it to the final boss. I die to the penultimate boss because it's an annoying double boss fight and also Elysium is just the worst floor in the game. Not a single fun enemy to fight there. And here's the thing: it doesn't take that long to make it to the top. But, it adds up. By my 26th attempt (inflated because i was grinding God Mode by killing myself on purpose), making it back to the top for another shot at beating Hades just felt like a chore. That addiction of "one more run" i had when i first started playing is completely gone.

And all of this sucks because like i said, everything else in the game is good. Zagreus is a pretty fun protagonist and the rest of the cast is likable for the most part, the combat is nice and action-packed, music is pretty good. I like how the rougelike elements are weaved into the narrative and seeing Zagreus and the other characters comment about your just now failed run. I like that the Bull of Minos talks shit when you first meet him but after you beat him enough times, you earn his respect. Cerberus is a good boy.

But Hades' greatest strength, it's narrative, is also it's greatest curse. Because this is a rougelike game with an actual story. Meaning if you just can't vibe with rougelike design philosophy or you're just bad, you will not see the story play out. In any other game, if you lost at a boss, you can simply try again. But in a rougelike like Hades, you cannot just simply try again. I did everything i could think of. I switched between the only two good weapons in the game (Spear and Sword), i turned on God Mode, i went for the best boons and weapon effects. But it's all null if i get a game over (well not God Mode but you get the point). And i just wasn't having fun anymore. I've resorted to looking up the ending, true ending and epilogue on YouTube.

I'm not gonna give this game a score. I don't hate it, i don't think it's bad, but before i played Hades, i stayed away from rougelikes because i just figured they weren't my thing. And after playing Hades, i can safely say that i have zero plans of playing a rougelike ever again. Hades only drew me in because of the narrative (and also the unanimous praise the game got). The exception would be like, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon i guess (and they haven't made a good one of those in years).

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Not really. I'm not enjoying this map. Too much bullshit coming from all sides, and I'm expected to beat it flawlessly in one sitting? No, thanks. When the three master of arms duos arrived with their multiple effective weapons to invalidate my tanks it started to feel like a cruel joke.

It'd be enough if it ended there, but no! Now I have to beat 10 enemies in one turn so I can get ready for Oboro's onslaught that's sitting right there! I don't know, maybe I'm just too much of a scrub, but I feel they went way overboard with this one.

Oh yeah, Great Wall map is doodoo. I remember spending like the first 10 turns using my flies to ferry everyone over the gap because i didn't want to take the main route. That only made the map slightly more bearable.

15 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

People didn't like DSFE because muh story

Wait what? I just thought people didn't like DSFE because the gameplay and presentation was kinda eh.

Edited by Armagon

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Wait what? I just thought people didn't like DSFE because the gameplay and presentation was kinda eh.

The main complaint I've heard about DSFE is that the story is bad. In second place, that the artstyle and visuals are bad. Gameplay complaints are less common in my experience.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The main complaint I've heard about DSFE is that the story is bad. In second place, that the artstyle and visuals are bad. Gameplay complaints are less common in my experience.

I see. Cause usually, the general consensus on DSFE story that i see is that it's just fine. Mainly for Shadow Dragon, New Mystery gets more scrutiny due to Kris existing.

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I could do little but stall for time and hope for the best.

If i have to guess, that's your mistake. The Master of arms are very very hard to tank, close to impossible. Staling doesn't work against them.

Another small thing: I think you pushed yourself against a well with your Corrin. I know you wanted to meme, but Conquest isn't exactly designed in mind with a weak corrin xD

Gameplay complaints are less common in my experience.

They aren't uncommon, either. Many people don't like the gameplay of the DS games.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I remember spending like the first 10 turns using my flies to ferry everyone over the gap because i didn't want to take the main route. That only made the map slightly more bearable.

can't do that on Lunatic as they close the gap xD

So i had to do it the classic way haha

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Wait, the map is actually physically changed in Lunatic?

Many maps change in Lunatic. They change unit position, dragon veins, etc.

In Case of Takumi's map they put 4 enemies in the gap

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

If i have to guess, that's your mistake. The Master of arms are very very hard to tank, close to impossible. Staling doesn't work against them.

I needed time to position myself properly around the stairs.

Still, I actually managed to tank them, so I guess go me?

6 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Another small thing: I think you pushed yourself against a well with your Corrin. I know you wanted to meme, but Conquest isn't exactly designed in mind with a weak corrin xD

On the other hand, I'll get bragging rights if I beat this game with Corrin as the worst unit in the team. Including the generic.

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

On the other hand, I'll get bragging rights if I beat this game with Corrin as the worst unit in the team. Including the generic.

...when you do it on Lunatic 😛

MNb99NV.png

my formation while dealing with the guys below. Honestly, i put a bookmark there and continued the next day because my mind was turning to mush from thinking too much xD

Even my tankiest of guys died in like 2 hits, so i didn'T even try to enemy phase them xD

@Armagon

oTO1bVv.png

As you can see, they put 3 Spear Masters and a master of arms at the gap, so no cheese xD

This is from the PME so yeah weird classes xD

Edited by Shrimperor

2 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

Masochism is an uncommon trait indeed. One that I do not possess myself.

585548048923623437.png?v=1

I mean

i am a sadist irl, so i have to counter it by being a masochist while playing games 😛 

Balance in all things!

Edited by Shrimperor

Just picked up two old favorites for the ps4.

41 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I do have Nina, but she dies if anything looks at her funny. Oh well. We'll see.

OH MY GOODNESS

NO

I COMPLETELY SAID THE EXACT OPPOSITE PF THE RIGHT THING

YOU’LL WANT FOOTIES OR MOUNTED UNITS BASICALLY, NOT FLIERS

HOW COULD I?

*ahem* dragon vein units are key to not dying. But there’s no way you have any of those...

32 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

So i had to do it the classic way haha

And all of your units were strong enough to take out Hinata squad on one player phase??

25 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

with a save state*

Nah jk, redoing the whole thing doesn’t prove anything except maybe that you’re patient.

18 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

oTO1bVv.png

As you can see, they put 3 Spear Masters and a master of arms at the gap, so no cheese xD

This is from the PME so yeah weird classes xD

Those guys were there on hard.

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

And all of your units were strong enough to take out Hinata squad on one player phase??

mostly. 2 survived and 1 of them i freezed and the other i could tank iirc (or 3 survived and i freezed 2)

gotta love attack stance. Wouldn't be able to do it otherwise

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Those guys were there on hard.

Huh

Strange why don't i remember that lol.